Dwash

Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?

Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

The whole thing is what else can the G.M. say after failing to pull the trigger on trading him? Sure, Memphis "might" give Reke a MLE, and Reke "might" sign such an offer if in fact one is given. Anything is possible but the probability of it all happening is not likely. I believe that Reke learned a valuable lessen, or at least was presented with one. He faced what all players eventually face, the league was (for the most part) done with him. He had been payed well and then had to take a lowball offer. Health permitting, he will have an opportunity to once again command better pay based on exceeding expectations this season. I think another team will make a better offer to him than the Grizzlies can afford if he stays healthy. I also believe that the F.O. has done things in the past 12 months or so that makes Memphis an undesirable place for most players that have other options. 

I agree he could get a better offer than the MLE, but only a small handful of teams can offer him that, and then it will be on their shoulders if they want to wrap $10+ mm/year for multiple years.

Right now, there are only 3-5 teams that can offer more than the MLE.  That will change when teams & players decline their options  or release cap holds. but it isn't a lot.  

However, I think those teams are in the same position as last year.  Bad teams won't want to invest in a player like Tyreke because they are playing for the future.  Most good teams just don't have the cap space, and he's going to look to go to a middle class team, and most of them are only offering the MLE. 

To me, I think the biggest threat is one of the LA teams when they strike out on the top FAs.

I hope tyreke signs with Houston rockets this off-season and then chris Wallace is fired

the grizzlies NO leadership at all. 1 a bad G.M 2 a owner who seems not to care 

I see Reke playing well in several tight losses, then suffering a bad case of demeaning plebney, or perhaps an ingrown toenail, and having to sit until we have enough losses to coast a bit. 

Anyone here old enough to remember demeaning plebney?

8 minutes ago, TimBC said:

I see Reke playing well in several tight losses, then suffering a bad case of demeaning plebney, or perhaps an ingrown toenail, and having to sit until we have enough losses to coast a bit. 

Anyone here old enough to remember demeaning plebney?

Uhh no. I looked it up and I wasn't even born and here I am thinking am one of the old ones on the board, lol. 

My fear is Evans will sign with someone else and Wallace will panic and throw a bad contract at someone else like

Shabazz Muhammad

Shabazz Muhammad

WhichCrystal.jpg I want to fight Demeaning Plebney as much as the next guy so I went to a shaman. He said. "Nobody gazes balls better than me, believe me. And I gaze them very inexpensively." 

I said, "ОК, как вы хотите. это хорошо" and deposited in the usual Deutsche Bank account.

He said “This would have been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever,”

He said all indications, inclinations, portends, foreshadows, wishes and signs were favorable.

And because he said "I'm, like, a really smart person" and  "trust me," I did.

We need to be careful playing Tyreke. I mean, we have like an .858 winning percentage when he gets on the court according to some posters on this board. I mean, we'll easily make the playoffs if he plays so we should sit him for the rest of the season .

7 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

We need to be careful playing Tyreke. I mean, we have like an .858 winning percentage when he gets on the court according to some posters on this board. I mean, we'll easily make the playoffs if he plays so we should sit him for the rest of the season .

LOL, Yep the some of the same folks who called him  a chronic loser who has nothing but empty stats and doesn't make teams better has suddenly morphed into Prime Lebron James. 

3 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

Textbook example of what engaging in hyperbole looks like. Kudos.

In this broken down season that you can gain absolutely nothing, besides the best chance at a top pick, I don't understand why the Grizzlies would jeopardize its ability to do just that.

Lets not forget that before last night, in the past 8 games that Tyreke has played the Grizzlies are 6-2 with him putting up 18/6/5. So while the Grizzlies aren't on pace to win at a .858 clip, which would rival the Bulls and Warriors all time records :rolleyes: they clearly aren't one of the few worst teams in the NBA. Grizzlies are also 9-6 in the last 15 games Tyreke has played in before last night.

Assuming even a .500 record the rest of the way, The Grizzlies would be looking at 30+ wins. Hello, 10th pick in the draft. Good luck finding a game changer there.

And yes, I know every team has a chance to get the #1 pick, but not giving yourself the best odds is a big mistake.

15 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LOL, Yep the some of the same folks who called him  a chronic loser who has nothing but empty stats and doesn't make teams better has suddenly morphed into Prime Lebron James. 

Wow, you guys are now turning an argument that he is playing well enough to prevent the Grizzlies from being one of the absolute worst teams in the league into people pretending like he is Lebron James who will make them win .85% of their games. Like that is just Chris Wallace dumb and now you are intentionally being ignorant.

15 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Wow, you guys are now turning an argument that he is playing well enough to prevent the Grizzlies from being one of the absolute worst teams in the league into people pretending like he is Lebron James who will make them win .85% of their games. Like that is just Chris Wallace dumb and now you are intentionally being ignorant.

Not being ignorant at all.  I just find it ironic that majority of folks that were killing Tyreke and calling him king of empty stats NOW are overvaluing his contributions.   I always thought he was good and could be a positive difference maker in the right situation. 

Like i said earlier, if Grizz are ALL in on the tank then keeping him isn't wise.  No argument from me there.    However, there are still ways to tank and keep Tyreke around at the same time.    

Also IF they actually want to resign him (and they should) then why hurt those chances over some low 2nd rd picks.   Being the worst team in the NBA doesn't guarantee the top 3 picks anymore than keeping Tyreke guarantees we won't be the worst team.   Besides they may actually have a plan to maximize the tank while keeping Reke and developing young guys.    At the end of the day if we are danger of winning games they can always "unleash Ben and Rio".   

28 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not being ignorant at all.  I just find it ironic that majority of folks that were killing Tyreke and calling him king of empty stats NOW are overvaluing his contributions.   I always thought he was good and could be a positive difference maker in the right situation. 

Like i said earlier, if Grizz are ALL in on the tank then keeping him isn't wise.  No argument from me there.    However, there are still ways to tank and keep Tyreke around at the same time.    

Also IF they actually want to resign him (and they should) then why hurt those chances over some low 2nd rd picks.   Being the worst team in the NBA doesn't guarantee the top 3 picks anymore than keeping Tyreke guarantees we won't be the worst team.   Besides they may actually have a plan to maximize the tank while keeping Reke and developing young guys.    At the end of the day if we are danger of winning games they can always "unleash Ben and Rio".   

Being the worst team in the league guarantees top 4 (100%) and top 3 is most likely.

If Tyreke was a future piece they would have never tried to trade him for low first rounders or high second rounders either. Do you shop core pieces for #25-35 picks?

So while you are talking about how they should keep him and build around him a few days ago they would have likely moved him for a pick in the 30's.

No they dont have a plan for anything.  Why cant you see that?

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

If Tyreke was a future piece they would have never tried to trade him for low first rounders or high second rounders either. Do you shop core pieces for #25-35 picks?

No they dont have a plan for anything.  Why cant you see that?

Oh you are greatly misunderstanding the nature of my posts.   

I have already stated several times that the FO is being reactive and not proactive, which is the very definition of "not having a plan".     It could be that they didn't think they could resign him initially.   The Lou Williams deal may have changed the entire situation and made everyone rethink things.  

Tyreke brought up Lou Will deal unprompted in an interview so his camp is extremely aware of his chances to get paid more than MLE are slim.    Reke's agent and Grizz FO seem to be in talks so there could be an under the table handshake in place.   Tyreke also mentioned that he valued Grizz allowing him to play his style of ball and opportunity.   Who knows it may payoff but more than likely it won't.   Same exact gamble with betting on any of the top 7 young guys in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Oh you are greatly misunderstanding the nature of my posts.   

I have already stated several times that the FO is being reactive and not proactive, which is the very definition of "not having a plan".     It could be that they didn't think they could resign him initially.   The Lou Williams deal may have changed the entire situation and made everyone rethink things.  

Tyreke brought up Lou Will deal unprompted in an interview so his camp is extremely aware of his chances to get paid more than MLE are slim.    Reke's agent and Grizz FO seem to be in talks so there could be an under the table handshake in place.   Tyreke also mentioned that he valued Grizz allowing him to play his style of ball and opportunity.   Who knows it may payoff but more than likely it won't.   Same exact gamble with betting on any of the top 7 young guys in the draft. 

A top 4 pick has more potential payoff than Tyreke Evans longterm, a guy who is valued at MLE and couldnt draw trade offers higher than 50. That should be understood by literally anyone.

You could even trade a top 4 pick in this draft for a great player

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

A top 4 pick has more potential payoff than Tyreke Evans longterm, a guy who is valued at MLE and couldnt draw trade offers higher than 50. That should be understood by literally anyone.

You could even trade a top 4 pick in this draft for a great player

But yall acting like its a foregone conclusion that we wont still get a top 4 or 5 pick.   why cant we have both??

2 hours ago, GF#1 said:

Textbook example of what engaging in hyperbole looks like. Kudos.

In this broken down season that you can gain absolutely nothing, besides the best chance at a top pick, I don't understand why the Grizzlies would jeopardize its ability to do just that.

Lets not forget that before last night, in the past 8 games that Tyreke has played the Grizzlies are 6-2 with him putting up 18/6/5. So while the Grizzlies aren't on pace to win at a .858 clip, which would rival the Bulls and Warriors all time records :rolleyes: they clearly aren't one of the few worst teams in the NBA. Grizzlies are also 9-6 in the last 15 games Tyreke has played in before last night.

Assuming even a .500 record the rest of the way, The Grizzlies would be looking at 30+ wins. Hello, 10th pick in the draft. Good luck finding a game changer there.

And yes, I know every team has a chance to get the #1 pick, but not giving yourself the best odds is a big mistake.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I see people can't take sarcasm anymore and of course it's hyperbole. You guys act as if the Grizz are the only team in the NBA and everything hinges on if we win or lose. Let it play out. As someone else posted on this board, tanking doesn't always work out anyway. There are 8 teams with between 17-19 wins with about 27 games left in the season. I HAVE NO FRIGGEN IDEA HOW THE SEASON WILL END UP. What i do know, is that tanking doesn't always work. Let teh season play out instead of trying to come up with some automagic formula for getting a top pick. None of us knows what the future holds so just let it play out.  Not playing Tyreke doesn't guarantee anything and noether does playing. As GTF pointed out, a majority of the board thought he was losing games for us early in the season now people claim he's winning us games and every little game counts as if those other 7 teams aren't going to win games here and there. You guys are acting like those other 7 teams will never win a game this season or something. Just let it play out simple and plain. We can't control it and playing Tyreke doesn't matter one way or the other, seriously.

3 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

I see people can't take sarcasm anymore and of course it's hyperbole. You guys act as if the Grizz are the only team in the NBA and everything hinges on if we win or lose. Let it play out. As someone else posted on this board, tanking doesn't always work out anyway. There are 8 teams with between 17-19 wins with about 27 games left in the season. I HAVE NO FRIGGEN IDEA HOW THE SEASON WILL END UP. What i do know, is that tanking doesn't always work. Let teh season play out instead of trying to come up with some automagic formula for getting a top pick. None of us knows what the future holds so just let it play out.  Not playing Tyreke doesn't guarantee anything and noether does playing. As GTF pointed out, a majority of the board thought he was losing games for us early in the season now people claim he's winning us games and every little game counts as if those other 7 teams aren't going to win games here and there. You guys are acting like those other 7 teams will never win a game this season or something. Just let it play out simple and plain. We can't control it and playing Tyreke doesn't matter one way or the other, seriously.

Ok lets clear this up about the Tyreke narrative. First of all, most people in Memphis have acknowledged that he had made massive improvements in his game, especially his jumper.

Second of all, please understand that the goals of the team have changed. If I said at the beginning of the year that if Tyreke is a big part of your team, you are likely a 30 win team or so. There is plenty of historical evidence behind this and its was a problem because the team wanted to be a playoff team at that time.

If I said right now that if Tyreke is your best player, you could possibly be a 30 win team its a problem, because I think that they have nothing to play for this year and should lose as much as possible.

Same opinion, but it applies negatively to both scenarios. So there is no flip flop in opinions, the team has just changed directions.

Do I even to this day think Tyreke is some franchise star? No. For all of his great play and he has played very well, he makes very bad decisions down the stretch of games and is somewhat predictable against good defense (to drive heavy). However, he is good enough to lead the team to unwanted wins against the likes of the Lakers, Kings, Suns, etc which he had done in the month before he sat out. I want to lose as many games as possible.

You dont know what will happen. However, your chances of a higher pick are stastically are higher by losing more games. Thats a fact. You cant control outcome. You can somewhat guide the probability of a certain outcome.

Tyreke is still a high scoring player on a losing team. 

2 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

First of all, I was never one that said Tyreke put up empty stats. I was in the camp saying that he was producing.

The biggest issue that I have with the way things are going is how the organization seems to be flip flopping on their vision for the team. They come out and say that we're sitting Tyreke to try to trade him by the deadline. To me, that seems to suggest that they actually have gauged the trade market for him and felt like they had a few deals on the table. When none of those deals came to fruition, now they expect all of us to believe that oh Tyreke is in our long term plans and we're all for using the MLE on him this summer. Which is it?

If the Grizzlies do not re-sign him this summer, then what the hell is he even playing for right now? THAT's my biggest point of contention. Just go ahead and buy him out and be done with it. Let him move on. I fear however that this is a face saving expedition on the part of the Grizzlies. If the Grizzlies had ANY INTENTION of keeping Tyreke long term, then like Dwash said, why are they trying to ship him off for a late 1st rounder?

If the Grizzlies do plan on re-signing him this summer (after trying to trade him a few days ago, ugh) then whatever. That's fine. But I'm sick and tired of the lack of vision for this team. Figure out what direction you want to go in, and which players you want, and go with it.

My biggest fear is that Tyreke is nowhere in the long term plans of the Grizzlies. And that's what makes him still being on this roster and getting minutes so egregious.

No matter which way you slice it though, the course of action that the Grizzlies have taken makes them look like an absolute clown franchise.

Would Reke not understand any of the arguments presented here? If he is gonna stay beyond next year I doubt he will intentionally stuff up the team's draft hopes

I think people way over valuing Tyreke if they he and Marc combined are going to start taking down playoff level teams.

If the two of them can do that, then we need to re-sign, but this team is not good, and shouldn't beat any team trying for playoff seeding.  That means the rest of February except the Suns game at the end, and really there is so much young talent on that Suns team, that the Suns should easily win that last game in February (although I wouldn't be opposed to Marc Gasol having a slight ankle injury the game before).

Last year, the Nets got the worst record with 20 wins. I'm not sure the Grizzlies can get to 20 wins.

Will he play for the Grizz next year. Marc likes him. He revived his career here. He has a strong fan base here. He is finally healthy! We've never had Conley next to a scoring SG. Could work. 

On 2/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, GF#1 said:

First of all, I was never one that said Tyreke put up empty stats. I was in the camp saying that he was producing.

The biggest issue that I have with the way things are going is how the organization seems to be flip flopping on their vision for the team. They come out and say that we're sitting Tyreke to try to trade him by the deadline. To me, that seems to suggest that they actually have gauged the trade market for him and felt like they had a few deals on the table. When none of those deals came to fruition, now they expect all of us to believe that oh Tyreke is in our long term plans and we're all for using the MLE on him this summer. Which is it?

If the Grizzlies do not re-sign him this summer, then what the hell is he even playing for right now? THAT's my biggest point of contention. Just go ahead and buy him out and be done with it. Let him move on. I fear however that this is a face saving expedition on the part of the Grizzlies. If the Grizzlies had ANY INTENTION of keeping Tyreke long term, then like Dwash said, why are they trying to ship him off for a late 1st rounder?

If the Grizzlies do plan on re-signing him this summer (after trying to trade him a few days ago, ugh) then whatever. That's fine. But I'm sick and tired of the lack of vision for this team. Figure out what direction you want to go in, and which players you want, and go with it.

My biggest fear is that Tyreke is nowhere in the long term plans of the Grizzlies. And that's what makes him still being on this roster and getting minutes so egregious.

No matter which way you slice it though, the course of action that the Grizzlies have taken makes them look like an absolute clown franchise.

I have no issue with the change in plans, because I think what changed was Tyreke's camp when he saw the Lou Williams contract extension and the upcoming free agent horizon.  At that point in time, I think Tyreke's camp knew there was the MLE available, and the Grizzlies have the best MLE available, or there were about 3 teams with cap space to sign him for what was more than the MLE.

I also have no issue with the Grizzlies/Wallace sticking to the demand of first rounder before the Lou Williams contract extension announcement.  At that time Tyreke's camp probably believed he would get more than the MLE, but if Wallace believed he was worth a 1st rounder, and he takes low 2nd round picks for him, it hurts him in the next deal.

I would rather have other GMs not believe that Wallace is going to hand over good players for multiple 2nd rounders.  

I'm OK with Wallace holding out for getting the 2019 pick back from the Celtics, and then going with the plan of attempting to retain Evans. And if they believe there is a better use of the MLE next year, and they get that person and let Tyreke walk, that's fine too.