3 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

People keep bringing this up. Does anyone really believe that Wallace and Co. would have flipped a second round pick into Elfrid Payton? Is there a long list of players that Wallace has acquired by trading 2nd round draft picks? i don't understand this. these people are incompetent, whether by choice or force or just naturally incompetent but why would people think we would do anything special with second round draft picks? They can't even make a simple trade.

We couldn’t flip Peyton for a 2nd round pick because we are over the salary cap. Just recently Wallace has acquired Brooks, Rabb and Davis in the 2nd round. He also traded second round picks to acquire Andrew Harrison. That’s all i can think of off the top of my head. Marc Gasol was a 2nd round pick as well. 

Mad far as being incompetent I have to disagree. The problem is not competence but leadership. Wallace has a reputation as being exploitable in trades whether deserved or not. Wallace is also hesitant to make bold decisions on his own. He manages by committee and consensus. Memphis need a GM who has a vision, accepts advice but also knows when to act on his own.

Wallace is not that guy. He would be excellent as a #2 guy behind a visionary GM. 

4 hours ago, guillermo said:

Wallace is like a great free jazz musician

he's able to somehow improvise his way through the complex changes and make it all sound so sensible.

a true master of reinvention.

Yeah but most of it is so out of tune and doesn't fit with the structure its horrible and hard to take..

I'm not talking about Coltrane. Wallace definitely ain't no Coltrane

If Rob Fischer is saying Marc will definitely go into bat for Reke staying, it's a done deal.

GM Marc will get it done :P

10 hours ago, King Dork said:

Mo Williams, Anderson Varejão, Louis Williams, Marcin Gortat, Amir Johnson, Carl Landry, Nikola Peković, Lance Stephenson, Chandler Parsons, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Jordan Clarkson, Monta Ellis, Kyle Korver, Hassan Whiteside, Goran Dragić, DeAndre Jordan, Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green, Marc Gasol. All dudes picked with “WORTHLESS second round picks”.

We can say the same with first round picks...The draft is a crap shoot. 

7 hours ago, Lord Gordon said:

I don’t trust Chris Wallace even if we had the first pick and Michael Jordan 1984 was available. He would take Sam Bowie.

The number one pick that year Hakeem Olajuwan.

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

We couldn’t flip Peyton for a 2nd round pick because we are over the salary cap. Just recently Wallace has acquired Brooks, Rabb and Davis in the 2nd round. He also traded second round picks to acquire Andrew Harrison. That’s all i can think of off the top of my head. Marc Gasol was a 2nd round pick as well. 

Mad far as being incompetent I have to disagree. The problem is not competence but leadership. Wallace has a reputation as being exploitable in trades whether deserved or not. Wallace is also hesitant to make bold decisions on his own. He manages by committee and consensus. Memphis need a GM who has a vision, accepts advice but also knows when to act on his own.

Wallace is not that guy. He would be excellent as a #2 guy behind a visionary GM. 

:D Now, even the good moves are used against him.

And Friday I heard a Memphis radio host genius say that even if Evans resigned, Wallace was still a loser in his mind.

I would call this a bold move. And my guess is that the odds are in Wallace's favor.

Wallace told everyone they need to find something better to do with their time then pasionately follow this team by listening to talk radio and other media outlets. 

Is this the attitude you want the leader of your franchise to tell you?

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wallace told everyone they need to find something better to do with their time then pasionately follow this team by listening to talk radio and other media outlets. 

I would think that in any other situation, the GM is canned by now.

Either ownership doesn't care, Wallace has ownership fooled, ownership is currently changing, ownership doesn't care, Wallace isn't in charge of anything, or this is a slow moving dismantling of the franchise.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Yeah, I like that attitude. Talk show hosts are out for themselves.

6 hours ago, tangogriz said:

:D Now, even the good moves are used against him.

And Friday I heard a Memphis radio host genius say that even if Evans resigned, Wallace was still a loser in his mind.

I would call this a bold move. And my guess is that the odds are in Wallace's favor.

Well someone did come up with Baldwin but he did much better with Davis. That guy may be a stud if given the chance. I like Rabb better than I do Brooks,  he's got the same attitude that Baldwin had.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I haven't listened to a Wallace interview in years because I know what he is going to say, which is nothing. He always speaks nicely without saying anything to get him in trouble or make the franchise look bad. Just a bunch of fluff, which is fine. I find the comments you referenced interesting though, from the standpoint that he decided to go off script on this subject. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed out of character for him. To me, it feels like he cracked a little.

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I haven't listened to a Wallace interview in years because I know what he is going to say, which is nothing. He always speaks nicely without saying anything to get him in trouble or make the franchise look bad. Just a bunch of fluff, which is fine. I find the comments you referenced interesting though, from the standpoint that he decided to go off script on this subject. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed out of character for him. To me, it feels like he cracked a little.

And some of the media he is criticizing is in house with Vernon and Micheal Wallace (is that his name?)....

18 hours ago, f-dizzle said:

Wallace did right. Looking back, except for Dillion Brooks, how many 2nd rounders tore it up this year? This year's draft falls off after the 10th pick IMO. If we keep Reke, a healthy Conley, and an engaged Marc, we will be tough again. I think we were a playoff team if there were no injuries to Mike, Jam G, and Wayne. We should fire Wallace before the draft though. We should have a new GM and coach in place with a vision for where this team is headed. We should drafted the BPA instead of need. If DD and Martin develop, we look good next year. If Harrison develops, we look good next year. Dillion Brooks may have a breakout season. He's had the best rookie season since OJ. If Parsons is healthy, we look good next year. If memory serves me correct, we were one of the top teams before Mike went down. Sign Reke with the full MLE, shut down Marc and Reke for the remainder of the season, let's get a top 7 draft pick, and see what happens. 

So we need all these scenarios to break our way, just to settle for a 7th seed and a first-round exit.

Not worth it.

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah but most of it is so out of tune and doesn't fit with the structure its horrible and hard to take..

I'm not talking about Coltrane. Wallace definitely ain't no Coltrane

keeping in the jazz metaphore, Wallace is a session guy that plays hiding behind the sound, afraid of hitting a wrong note, never doing anything great but focusing on just staying in key and not getting fired

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The GBB website is becoming biased and out of control.

I honestly believe that some of the writers are actually posting here as well because almost exactly the same commentary used there and here.

Take for example this article

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2018/2/9/16992748/memphis-grizzlies-fans-deserve-more-nba-tyreke-evans-trade-deadline

And this line:

"This is the front office that won’t listen to trade talks for a 33 year old center that got coaches fired."

This is downright insulting, and is the kind of biased crap that comes from Rupert Murdoch media. Fizdale got himself fired, HE wanted out, HE butted heads with Marc. Contrast that to future HOF coach Popovich and his admissions of fault in dealing with Aldridge. Anyway we've been through all of this before, but if it's going to be churned up again by sensationalist "journalists", it deserves to be rebutted.

Wallace should have been fired over the Parsons fiasco. That is the single biggest franchise-killing mistake made deserving such an outcome. But to go into absolute melodramatic meltdown because Tyreke wasn't traded for a worthless #50 pick (and we don't even know what year, it could be 4 years from now) is IMO ridiculous

7 hours ago, Ace-is-high said:

keeping in the jazz metaphore, Wallace is a session guy that plays hiding behind the sound, afraid of hitting a wrong note, never doing anything great but focusing on just staying in key and not getting fired

yeah true I get it.

Here's another music analogy for you:

If you know your Beatles history, Wallace is like Stu Sutcliffe. He probably playing with his amp switched off

The guys trying to downplay the Tyreke mess only talk about the 2nd round picks but don't bring up Mudiay who was a lotto pick and the sophomore Yabusele who was the 16th pick in his draft. Of course likely falling out of the top 6 is awful too. Without Tyreke and Conley this was easily a bottom 3 team.

22 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The guys trying to downplay the Tyreke mess only talk about the 2nd round picks but don't bring up Mudiay who was a lotto pick and the sophomore Yabusele who was the 16th pick in his draft. Of course likely falling out of the top 6 is awful too. Without Tyreke and Conley this was easily a bottom 3 team.

When you sat him to trade him, it is understood amongst anyone with a brain that you are taking the best offer on the board. If that offer is a top 59 protected second rounder from the Warriors, then you take it. Cause obviously you are admitting that it is beneficial to trade him no matter what you receive by sitting him.

I'm in complete and total agreement with this thread. But I don't think things are going to get better after firing Wallace if a) the ownership situation doesn't get sorted and B) management hires another puppet as a gm.

Right now Pera's cronies have the best of both worlds. They pull all Wallace's strings behind the scenes and let him take all the punches in the press when things go wrong.

Do I know this for a fact? Of course not, but there is so much dysfunction and inconsistency of vision displayed by the organization's moves, that it can't possibly all be the work of one guy, can it?

The funny thing is, in a vacuum, if you legitimately have a hold of vibes that you can keep Tyreke for the mid-level this summer, then holding onto him isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't agree with it and would have preferred assets or a "second draft" guy like Mudiay (as mentioned above by IIWII) but at least that's a somewhat justifiable position. The real issue is, yet again it's something that blew up in such a "Grizzlies way." 

And the fact that I can say that last sentence and everybody knows what I mean.

Whether they get a top 5, 10, 15 pick in the upcoming draft, the decision of what to do with that pick will be a major pivot point for this franchise. I have zero faith in the Grizzlies' leadership group to maximize it.

I guess Wallace is gambling that we can: 

--use the MLE/Bird rights

--Tyreke  and the Grizz build upon their relationship

--nobody offers him a better contract

--keeping him prevents another team from developing any relationship a playoff run might create

--his playing will have little or no effect on our draft position 

--we're fielding a playoff caliber roster next year and he will be a part of it

Thats a lot to bank on, but whatever, hopefully things pan out.

5 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Maybe because Mudiay sucks. He's not even on Wade Balwin's level.

Again, I keep mention. Make quick decisions and develop who you have. Harrison is a top 10 potential pg, and the best thing about it, the coaches, especially bickerstaff seem to know this.

Not only that, but we have Mike, and Kobi (Kobi, a guy that has talent, unlike Mudiay).

Your approach would continue to keep the grizzlies sucking for years, always chasing players with pedigrees and no talent.