Just now, HPGrizz said:

If you think the heat is on Wallace now, watch Tyreke walk in the offseason and the Grizzlies end up with like the #9 pick in the draft, rather than a top 5 or top 6 pick. People would be rightfully livid at Wallace's poor management of the team.

This is everyone's greatest fear

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Peter Edmiston just tweeted that Tyreke Evans is practicing today and plans to play Sunday. 

I'm not sure which Memphis basketball team is in the most trouble.

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we manage to resign Tyreke to a MLE deal and nab a Top 5 pick.   

That's the major league gamble  - two HUGE ifs right there.

I think the Grizz should put Tyreke on a "maintenance" plan ala Chandler in order to preserve Tyreke's health (and assist the Grizz in losing some games). It isn't like Tyreke hasn't had a variety of injuries in the past, so it can sort of make sense.

1 minute ago, HPGrizz said:

I think the Grizz should put Tyreke on a "maintenance" plan ala Chandler in order to preserve Tyreke's health (and assist the Grizz in losing some games).

I agree but I’m not sure Tyreke would be happy as he is showcasing his skills to get paid ... 

30 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

I think the Grizz should put Tyreke on a "maintenance" plan ala Chandler in order to preserve Tyreke's health (and assist the Grizz in losing some games). It isn't like Tyreke hasn't had a variety of injuries in the past, so it can sort of make sense.

No way he'd ever agree to this, nor should he.

2 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

I was going to reply....

but then this^^^^^^^.

It's not about if there is talent in the second round, it's about who is making that selection and if they are able to find talent.

I have ZERO faith that the Grizz FO can do so. 

Never said I believed they could select the right player but it takes a special kind of incompetence to take yourself out of the race before you start it. Should there have been a front office change due to his draft history? Yes. Does not being able to get the 2nd round picks to give the franchise a chance at a decent player also warrant a change? Yes. 

Wallace is like a great free jazz musician

he's able to somehow improvise his way through the complex changes and make it all sound so sensible.

a true master of reinvention.

33 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

I agree but I’m not sure Tyreke would be happy as he is showcasing his skills to get paid ... 

Unless, of course, management is confident they can convince him he won't get more than the mid level exception.  In which case they will offer one additional year to whatever someone else offers.

If he says no thanks, then we look stupid again.

I don’t trust Chris Wallace even if we had the first pick and Michael Jordan 1984 was available. He would take Sam Bowie.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Peter Edmiston just tweeted that Tyreke Evans is practicing today and plans to play Sunday. 

Un****ingbelievable.

8 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Un****ingbelievable.

Regretfully it is all too believable. 

40 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Never said I believed they could select the right player but it takes a special kind of incompetence to take yourself out of the race before you start it. Should there have been a front office change due to his draft history? Yes. Does not being able to get the 2nd round picks to give the franchise a chance at a decent player also warrant a change? Yes. 

Well, I never said any of the players that you listed that were drafted in the second round were worthless. You listed out a bunch of players and then ended it with " All dudes picked with “WORTHLESS second round picks”. I am saying that any future second round picks that we would have received as a result of a trade would be worthless if Chris Wallace and this current FO are still in charge. There's a clear distinction. I have no idea what one has to do with the other or why you selectively listed out a few second rounders over numerous years who had some success as if that has anything to do with Chris Wallace having 2nd round picks in the future and utilizing them correctly to make this team better. i don't understand why this board has so much faith in this FO as if they are a normal FO.

If you haven't noticed, the Grizz FO is a special kind of incompetent. I have ZERO faith in this FO to do the right thing whether it's at the trade deadline or figuring out what to do with 2nd round picks. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

That part doesn't matter to me really at all. Even if Tyreke does play on Sunday at Oklahoma City, the Grizzlies would still be huge underdogs. Tyreke knows where he stands, and if Denver and Boston was offering him multiple 2nd round picks and a expiring contract, Tyreke knows he is worth something. Therefore, Tyreke should ask for a buyout before the March 1st deadline, then sign with potentially Cleveland or Boston. The Cavaliers now have two open roster spots due to the trades they were able to pull off. Which they'll be aggressively in the "buyout" market. If that does occur, then Chris Wallace would receive even more heat for letting him go and receive nothing in return, when you had options to get something in return. 

I would've trade Evans to Denver for Mudiay and a 2nd. With Mudiay being 21, he's still young and has somewhat potential, meanwhile the 2nd round pick wouldn't be worth much anything. Kind of have to strike gold with that.

What worries me is that we do have winnable games in March. Phoenix on 2/28, Orlando on 3/3, Chicago on 3/7 and 3/15, Dallas on 3/10,  Brooklyn on 3/19, Charlotte on 3/22, LA Lakers on 3/24, and Sacramento on 4/6. If we win half of those games will put us at 23 wins. I doubt we'll win the other games, especially this month.

17 minutes ago, Lord Gordon said:

I don’t trust Chris Wallace even if we had the first pick and Michael Jordan 1984 was available. He would take Sam Bowie.

No, he would be sitting at 3, trade UP to 2 to take Bowie AND send unprotected first round picks in 1985 and 1987 to Chicago or whoever in order to move up.  Oh yeah, plus the draft rights to some dude named Arvydas Sabonis.

Can't understand why the Celtics didn't make a better move for Tyreke.  Even as a rental Tyreke would be YUGE for them.  Either as one of the best 6th men in the league or another perimeter guy for a small ball attack (Kyrie, Reke, Jaylen Brown, Tatum) plus a big (probably Horford).  

Warriors could have sent an overrated young guy like McCaw (good Finals, meh since) plus that pick at 30 (plus a future protected first) to get an AWESOME 6th man plus a potential killer in a Steph, Tyreke, Klay, Durant, Draymond Mega Death Squad lineup.  The Warriors bench is TRASH and Iggy is DONE.  If the Warriors KEEP their big four along with their 2 headed center combo to pick up an AWESOME 4th/5th option I don't really CARE what the rest of their lineup looks like.  

I think they missed out...  

19 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

Well, I never said any of the players that you listed that were drafted in the second round were worthless. You listed out a bunch of players and then ended it with " All dudes picked with “WORTHLESS second round picks”. I am saying that any future second round picks that we would have received as a result of a trade would be worthless if Chris Wallace and this current FO are still in charge. There's a clear distinction. I have no idea what one has to do with the other or why you selectively listed out a few second rounders over numerous years as if that has anything to do with Chris Wallace having 2nd round picks in the future and utilizing them correctly to make this team better.

If you haven't noticed, the Grizz FI is a special kin of incompetent. I have ZERO faith in this FO to do the right thing whether it's at the trade deadline or figuring out what to do with 2nd round picks. 

2nd round picks aren't just huge assets, but regardless of the history of the Grizzlies drafting, 2nd round picks are good to have for trade chips.

23 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Regretfully it is all too believable. 

Yeah you're right. What was I thinking. :(

2 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

2nd round picks aren't just huge assets, but regardless of the history of the Grizzlies drafting, 2nd round picks are good to have for trade chips.

People keep bringing this up. Does anyone really believe that Wallace and Co. would have flipped a second round pick into Elfrid Payton? Is there a long list of players that Wallace has acquired by trading 2nd round draft picks? i don't understand this. these people are incompetent, whether by choice or force or just naturally incompetent but why would people think we would do anything special with second round draft picks? They can't even make a simple trade.

3 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

People keep bringing this up. Does anyone really believe that Wallace and Co. would have flipped a second round pick into Elfrid Payton? Is there a long list of players that Wallace has acquired by trading 2nd round draft picks? i don't understand this. these people are incompetent, whether by choice or force or just naturally incompetent but why would people think we would do anything special with second round draft picks? They can't even make a simple trade.

A 2022 2nd rounder (like acquired for Ennis) could be picked by a different regime. Plus guys like Rabb and Brooks were pickes last year, 2nd round.

Just now, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

I agree completely with the incompetency of this front office, particularly Wallace. That's why I was against a full blow up when everyone was suggested to dump everyone. Because I didn't want to stake the future of the team in relying upon this regime to draft the right players for a full blown rebuild. I was okay with keeping Mike/Marc after losing TA/Zbo, but unfortunately the team didn't make enough impact moves to put talent around them, in large part due to the lack of assets (capspace, tradable assets, future owed picks).

Now that it is abundantly clear that the team will not succeed with Gasol as the #2 (#1 when Conley is hurt which could be a regular thing moving forward), I say take your chances and dump Gasol off. But of course this would require cleaning house, which probably won't happen.

Bottom line for me: Everything right now hinges on the Grizzlies striking it rich in this draft. And not dealing Tyreke, IMHO, is a huge blunder. Hopefully that can be managed by limiting his minutes.

Still and all, I would prefer to have at least gotten the picks. Re-signing Tyreke is all well and good, but if it comes at the cost of not getting a top pick in this draft, it won't even matter because that's the only way that this franchise will make a huge turnaround.

Wallace said there was no late second round pick that could come in and average 19 ppg. There was no late first round pick either!!! But you would jumped all over that. But guess who could have average 19 ppg? A top 3 pick in the 2018 draft!

Fire him. Now.

Wallace did right. Looking back, except for Dillion Brooks, how many 2nd rounders tore it up this year? This year's draft falls off after the 10th pick IMO. If we keep Reke, a healthy Conley, and an engaged Marc, we will be tough again. I think we were a playoff team if there were no injuries to Mike, Jam G, and Wayne. We should fire Wallace before the draft though. We should have a new GM and coach in place with a vision for where this team is headed. We should drafted the BPA instead of need. If DD and Martin develop, we look good next year. If Harrison develops, we look good next year. Dillion Brooks may have a breakout season. He's had the best rookie season since OJ. If Parsons is healthy, we look good next year. If memory serves me correct, we were one of the top teams before Mike went down. Sign Reke with the full MLE, shut down Marc and Reke for the remainder of the season, let's get a top 7 draft pick, and see what happens.