5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Im on the Mudiay watch in New York and if he starts I am willing to bet anyone that he will be a double figures scorer the rest of the year.

Does it matter to you how efficient his scoring is in New York or just the double figure points? 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Does it matter to you how efficient his scoring is in New York or just the double figure points? 

Yes, the efficiency will be respectable. He isnt a wild shot jacker.

Just now, Dwash said:

Yes, the efficiency will be respectable. He isnt a wild shot jacker.

He's shooting 40% from the field this season and his career average is below 40%. Where do you see efficiency in his game? 

7 hours ago, Iron Mike said:

I'm happy with just being competitive in the playoffs. 

WE ain't winning a ring in this lifetime. Let's be real.

Can you expound on your "being competitive in the playoffs" comment? Sneaking into the playoffs next spring as a #8 or #7 seed with Mike, Marc & Tyreke leading this team and then getting throttled by the #1 seed or #2 seed isn't really what I think of as "competitive" in the playoffs.

Just now, chipc3 said:

He's shooting 40% from the field this season and his career average is below 40%. Where do you see efficiency in his game? 

I followed Denver this year and I dont think he has had the right opportunities for playing time because of the redundancy in their backcourt. He improved his shooting this year. He has a nice skill set but just couldnt get comfortable and was eventually outplayed by better players. The pressure will be off in NY with little competition and a not so great team that gives him the ball a little more.

24 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Why do we need another fire Chris Wallace thread

:D

11 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

nothing that was good enough for them to trade him...plus a lot of rumors no FACTS at all.

Anything was better than nothing which is the value he brings to this team for the rest of the year.  In fact, getting nothing for him would be better if he adds even 1 win to the total from here on out.  So you pull him off the floor and bench him for over a week and then bring him back to the team?  A guy on a 1 year contract who is going to demand, in all likelihood, more next year than you have to offer?  Explain to me how keeping him is good for you in any way? 

Sure those 2nd round picks are turds but you can put them with other assets to make deals.  We've seen this front office bumble and be fleeced year after year...its time for a change.

8 hours ago, tangogriz said:

You and, I assume, the on-again-off-again bandwagon guy know about these firm deals that were rejected. Could you list them or better yet point me in the right direction, researchwise?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you don't believe there was ANY deal on the table?  Please.

1 minute ago, Gradey said:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you don't believe there was ANY deal on the table?  Please.

Yes and no. :) Sorry bout that.

Serious, I don't have the info. Were they reasonably good offers or maybe lowball or take-on-salary? Did the lack of reasonable offers make it a good gamble to try to sign Evans next year?

As to the draft, the Grizzlies are locked in a tight race (of sorts), with the bottom eight teams separated on deadline day by 1.5 games. The Grizzlies have been bad this season with Evans, but his impact is substantial. The team has lost seven in a row without him. The Grizzlies have won nine of their past 15 with him.

Better have a d-amn good plan to reduce his minutes, sit him out late, put him in with bad lineups.

AND better have a d-amn good plan to re-sign him.

That's all I will say. We can argue on a message board back and forth all day long, but that doesn't change the reality that yesterday was a subtle shift for a lot of casual fans. The perception overall of the FO and ownership is getting worse not better.

13 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

I disagree with that. Wallace didn't want to accept what was offered. I wouldn't say that Chris Wallace is the benchmark for NBA GMs so it doesn't mean much to me. He definitely wasn't worth a 1st round pick as so many people on this board thought he was worth. I do agree that i would not want 2 worthless 2nd round picks back. I don't understand this board sometimes. I have no idea why people had so much hope that Wallace would even make a trade let alone make a trade that benefitted the Grizzz. 

Why don't you want two second round picks for a two month rental of a player? 

Tyreke can re-sign with anyone he wants this summer regardless of him being with the Grizzlies or another team. Nothing that happened yesterday affects that decision directly. Having Tyreke on the roster doesn't greatly improve the chances of the team resigning him. Remember that Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Vince Carter, Ronnie Brewer and more walked away from the Grizzlies for no compensation in the past. 

Two second round picks can be moved to sweeten other deals. The picks can be stashed on international players who could develop. They could be used for players such as Corey Dillon or Ivan Rabb who could develop. They could be used for players such as Kobi Simmons to stash in the D-League on two way player contracts. There are many options on second round picks that didn't exist previously. Why is it assumed a second round pick is worthless? 

From what I have read about the negotiations the Grizzlies put a line in the sand of a first round pick or no deal. They refused to listen to trade ideas involving Marc Gasol, who at 33 is not likely to improve his play moving forward. The FO seems intent on putting a squad on the court that will compete for the playoffs next season with only a slim chance of advancing out of the first round much less competing for a title. 

So the question becomes are we content with a FO who's goal is to just make the playoffs for another year or two or not? If you are content then the risk of not re-signing Tyreke from another club may seem decent enough to hold him and ignore the potential 2nd round picks would entail for the future. I doubt anyone believes a player acquired via the picks offered could replace Tyreke's PPG production in the next season or two.

It is now paramount for the Grizzlies to re-sign Evans to make any sense of what has happened. The Grizzlies can't offer a lot either. If Evans signs away from the Grizzlies would that change the opinion of Wallace's defenders?  

23 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

Yes and no. :) Sorry bout that.

Serious, I don't have the info. Were they reasonably good offers or maybe lowball or take-on-salary? Did the lack of reasonable offers make it a good gamble to try to sign Evans next year?

I get what you are saying and if we do re-sign Reke next year than I'll be as happy as you can be (that was always my preference).  It was just such a bad look pulling him off the floor last week and sitting him, having him do the farewell tour with his team and all, then bringing him back.  If that were me...I'd be far less than pleased and the idea that I'd resign here (unless the money was more) is out the window 100%.

To be fair to everyone involved, I'll say this.

Let's say they get some miracles going into next year.

This is not the worst roster I've ever seen:

Marc Gasol/Deyonta Davis/Ivan Rabb

Marvin Bagley/JaMychal Green

Dillon Brooks/Jarrell Martin/Chandler Parsons

Tyreke Evans/Wayne Selden/Ben McLemore

Mike Conley/Andrew Harrison/Kobi Simmons

Or something like that. That's not accounting for any other moves and/or the second round picks.

Not saying it will happen, not saying it will win, not saying it will advance in the playoffs.

But it's intriguing starting 5 and even with Gasol and Conley likely on the downside, it is an intriguing 2-3 year window with that group.

IMO

However - that is also assuming that all the development this season will pay off and a lot of these guys will really work their butts off over the offseason to improve weaknesses and get better, etc.

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

Mo Williams, Anderson Varejão, Louis Williams, Marcin Gortat, Amir Johnson, Carl Landry, Nikola Peković, Lance Stephenson, Chandler Parsons, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Jordan Clarkson, Monta Ellis, Kyle Korver, Hassan Whiteside, Goran Dragić, DeAndre Jordan, Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green, Marc Gasol. All dudes picked with “WORTHLESS second round picks”.

I was going to reply....

2 hours ago, lions said:

you forgot one thing chris Wallace would be making draft. we had hassn whiteside and chris Wallace let him go

but then this^^^^^^^.

It's not about if there is talent in the second round, it's about who is making that selection and if they are able to find talent.

I have ZERO faith that the Grizz FO can do so. 

for the f.o. to not even listen to offers (entertain otters) for gasol and be so hard-headed as to not get some value for evans' great year...no rational reason.

wallace needs to be gone. nice man. like him. thanks for a great run, but this is done.

slim.

48 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Why don't you want two second round picks for a two month rental of a player? 

Tyreke can re-sign with anyone he wants this summer regardless of him being with the Grizzlies or another team. Nothing that happened yesterday affects that decision directly. Having Tyreke on the roster doesn't greatly improve the chances of the team resigning him. Remember that Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Vince Carter, Ronnie Brewer and more walked away from the Grizzlies for no compensation in the past. 

Two second round picks can be moved to sweeten other deals. The picks can be stashed on international players who could develop. They could be used for players such as Corey Dillon or Ivan Rabb who could develop. They could be used for players such as Kobi Simmons to stash in the D-League on two way player contracts. There are many options on second round picks that didn't exist previously. Why is it assumed a second round pick is worthless? 

From what I have read about the negotiations the Grizzlies put a line in the sand of a first round pick or no deal. They refused to listen to trade ideas involving Marc Gasol, who at 33 is not likely to improve his play moving forward. The FO seems intent on putting a squad on the court that will compete for the playoffs next season with only a slim chance of advancing out of the first round much less competing for a title. 

So the question becomes are we content with a FO who's goal is to just make the playoffs for another year or two or not? If you are content then the risk of not re-signing Tyreke from another club may seem decent enough to hold him and ignore the potential 2nd round picks would entail for the future. I doubt anyone believes a player acquired via the picks offered could replace Tyreke's PPG production in the next season or two.

It is now paramount for the Grizzlies to re-sign Evans to make any sense of what has happened. The Grizzlies can't offer a lot either. If Evans signs away from the Grizzlies would that change the opinion of Wallace's defenders?  

Uhhhh, who's defending Wallace?

As far as the second round picks, let me clarify and put into context, I don't want two second round picks as long as Chris Wallace is the GM and we have the front office that we currently have because I have zero faith that they will make a decision that would benefit the team. Do you honestly think this Grizz FO would have flipped a second round pick into Elfrid Payton (a young PG who has avg double digit points and at least 6 assists in 3 years out of his 4 year league tenure)? i have zero faith that they will make the right decision. It's not about finding talent in the second round or could we use it as an asset in a trade, it's about the people making the transactions- the Grizz FO. I have ZERO FAITH IN THE GRIZZ FO, period point blank. i don't care what can be done, they won't do it in a way that benefits the Grizz.

As far as Evans, I don't care if he stays or goes to be honest. If we can keep him great. I do think our chances are much better than other people on this board seem to think Yes, we can only offer him the MLE but guess what, teams ain't gonna be spending that much this summer and they definitely won't be throwing $15 mil at a ball dominant one dimensional scorer who has only been to the playoffs once in his career and  is best suited off of the bench. He's basically a career loser who puts up a bunch of points. His best role is off of the bench as a scorer while he lets others do stuff like play defense and run plays. He could have cashed in big time a couple of summers ago, not so much this upcoming summer imho. We may be more competitive than people think but once again, I don't really care if he stays or goes because i'm not sure how good this team will be next year and if it even matters. Optimistically, I would love to believe everybody comes back healthy (Conley, Parsons, Gasol), we get a stud with a top 3-5 lottery pick, we re-sign Reke to come back and light it up off of the bench, we get a great new coach, and we fill some other talents holes on our team and we go back to winning 50+ games but I'll wait and see if that's reality. 

have yall considered the way this will be perceived by the players...and, of course, other gms and owners.

a player could look at this as an insult to player who has played his tail off for your organization this year.

wallace looks incompetent/greedy/lacking foresight.

for perception purposes alone....he has to go.

slim.

1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

To be fair to everyone involved, I'll say this.

Let's say they get some miracles going into next year.

This is not the worst roster I've ever seen:

Marc Gasol/Deyonta Davis/Ivan Rabb

Marvin Bagley/JaMychal Green

Dillon Brooks/Jarrell Martin/Chandler Parsons

Tyreke Evans/Wayne Selden/Ben McLemore

Mike Conley/Andrew Harrison/Kobi Simmons

If we manage to resign Tyreke to a MLE deal and nab a Top 5 pick.    That would be an extremely talented squad on paper.      Healthy Conley(yea i know) and Gasol plus this version of Reke alone would be enough to get us back into the playoffs.   Depending on development of the other players it would also have a pretty decent future too. 

Herrington said in radio interview that he heard(ahead of deadline) that the FO wasn't as pressed to trade Reke as we all thought.   If they didn't get precisely what they wanted they were more than happy to keep him in hopes of bringing him back.  

I don't understand people that don't appreciate how good Tyreke truly is.  Dudes with his proven ability don't grow on trees.  This offseason we were gift-wrapped an elite level dynamic scorer that happen to have ties to the area.   That is a feat.  

They absolutely need a player like him to get back to PO's sooner than later and personally i want to get back to competing for PO's as quickly as we can.   Our fanbase will not whether extended lottery visits.   

I do understand the real danger in keeping him is related to draft positioning and i have no idea how that will play out.   

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we manage to resign Tyreke to a MLE deal and nab a Top 5 pick.    That would be an extremely talented squad on paper.      Healthy Conley(yea i know) and Gasol plus this version of Reke alone would be enough to get us back into the playoffs.   Depending on development of the other players it would also have a pretty decent future too. 

Herrington said in radio interview that he heard(ahead of deadline) that the FO wasn't as pressed to trade Reke as we all thought.   If they didn't get precisely what they wanted they were more than happy to keep him in hopes of bringing him back.  

I don't understand people that don't appreciate how good Tyreke truly is.  Dudes with his proven ability don't grow on trees.  This offseason we were gift-wrapped an elite level dynamic scorer that happen to have ties to the area.   That is a feat.  

They absolutely need a player like him to get back to PO's sooner than later and personally i want to get back to competing for PO's as quickly as we can.   Our fanbase will not whether extended lottery visits.   

I do understand the real danger in keeping him is related to draft positioning and i have no idea how that will play out.   

I'm not calling him elite after one year. Who's to say this season isn't an outlier in terms of health and production?

Peter Edmiston just tweeted that Tyreke Evans is practicing today and plans to play Sunday. 

41 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Right, my concerns were how do you play him to keep from winning?

0-7 in recent stretch without him and won like 9 of 15 with him before that.

You DO NOT need to win another game in reality. Not ONE.

The other concern is not overpaying and it looks like they can't even if they tried.

So, how do they keep him and get around the winning thing?

Personally, the argument that you can re-sign him no matter doesn't hold much water - if a northern guy like Tyreke goes to BOS and gets a good taste of playoff action, I think the chances are better he'd want to stick there than come back here.

IMO

If you think the heat is on Wallace now, watch Tyreke walk in the offseason and the Grizzlies end up with like the #9 pick in the draft, rather than a top 5 or top 6 pick. People would be rightfully livid at Wallace's poor management of the team.