Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

(18-32) vs. (23-26)
conley-gasol-parsons-gt-400x300.jpg

Date/Time: Thursday, February 1, 6 pm CT

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions:None

Officials: Rodney Mott | Jason Goldenberg | Leroy Richardson

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Andrew Harrison Wayne Selden Dillon Brooks Jarell Martin Marc Gasol
1626150.png 1627782.png 1628415.png 1626185.png 201188.png

Pistons Starting 5

Ish Smith Reggie Bullock Stanley Johnson Blake Griffin Andre Drummond
202397.png 203493.png 1626169.png 201933.png 203083.png

Benches

• Mike Conley
  • Mario Chalmers
  • Deyonta Davis
  • Tyreke Evans
  • JaMychal Green
  • Ben McLemore
  • Chandler Parsons
  • Ivan Rabb
  • James Ennis
  • Brandan Wright
  • Dwight Buycks
  • Henry Ellenson
  • Eric Moreland
  • Langston Galloway
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Brice Johnson
  • Willie Reed
  • Luke Kennard
  • Jon Leuer
  • Anthony Tolliver

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Pistons: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

3 hours ago, Elillo said:

After Zach's tribute video, can't wait to see what they have prepared for Ish Smith and Jon Leuer.

Umm... we could wait to do that AFTER we trade Tyreke Evans for Ish Smith and Jon Leuer (along with a highly protected 2nd round pick).  

blake griffin would have been a great fit for the grizzlies, that what the grizzlies needed  

I know many wanna tank, but I just cant see vakue in allowing Harrison to take most of the shots...and miss...

6 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I know many wanna tank, but I just cant see vakue in allowing Harrison to take most of the shots...and miss...

And just as you say that he drills the buzzer beater. :P

Seriously, I think it's just the outcome of not really running any offensive sets. The ball movement just ends with the ball in his hands and the defense floats him, so he shoots and shoots...

4 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

And just as you say that he drills the buzzer beater. :P

Seriously, I think it's just the outcome of not really running any offensive sets. The ball movement just ends with the ball in his hands and the defense floats him, so he shoots and shoots...

LOL

Maybe I should get on JaM's case, so he then puts on a casting showcase clinic, and we get offers for him :P

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

It seems the young guys are not having any part of y'all's tanking scheme.

That's their job. Once they're on the court they must try to win the game and we shouldn't expect less.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It seems the young guys are not having any part of y'all's tanking scheme.

don't worry when the 2nd half of the 4th qtr comes, they will tow the company line and bring home the L

8 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

That's their job. Once they're on the court they must try to win the game and we shouldn't expect less.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.  I would like to get a decent player in the draft but I just can't root against my team.  I'm pulling for them to win everytime.

27 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.  I would like to get a decent player in the draft but I just can't root against my team.  I'm pulling for them to win everytime.

Whats wrong with just accepting that they arent very good this year? And with their cap situation and lack of trade assets, they really only one way to add a starter talented enough to significantly improve the team. Without a great draft pick, they wont be good next year. Even the front office seems to accept this reality.

Give me Stanley Johnson for Reke. He just isnt a corner shooter like the Pistons want him to be. But he has game.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Whats wrong with just accepting that they arent very good this year? And with their cap situation and lack of trade assets, they really only one way to add a starter talented enough to significantly improve the team. Without a great draft pick, they wont be good next year. Even the front office seems to accept this reality.

Because it's wanting 15 guys to play poorly in the hopes that one draft pick will turn it around.  Not realistic.

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Give me Stanley Johnson for Reke. He just isnt a corner shooter like the Pistons want him to be. But he has game.

In the absence of a first rnd pick, I wouldn't say no to this.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Because it's wanting 15 guys to play poorly in the hopes that one draft pick will turn it around.  Not realistic.

One good pick (plus Conley coming back) can turn a team around. You are underestimating the impact that one good player can have on a team in the right situation. It doesnt have to be a Lebron, Duncan or Shaq which is some myth you guys keep throwing out there. Guys like Melo, Dwade, DRose, Deron Williams, Chris Paul were all high picks who made their bad teams playoff squads or close basically right off the bat.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

One good pick (plus Conley coming back) can turn a team around. You are underestimating the impact that one good player can have on a team in the right situation. It doesnt have to be a Lebron, Duncan or Shaq which is some myth you guys keep throwing out there. Guys like Melo, Dwade, DRose, Deron Williams, Chris Paul were all high picks who made their bad teams playoff squads or close basically right off the bat.

I hear you, I just will never root against my team.  It goes against my beliefs.  I'm just sort of old-fashioned that way.

I think it was Herrington that put it eloquently some days ago: tanking is a FO job, not a team job. The FO needs to do the necessary moves (trades, shutting injured players down, prescribing rotation minutes) so that the team is held back, but the players and coaches must give their best on the court.

Playing to lose is counterproductive. What's the point of giving young players lots of minutes if you're telling them "don't fight too hard," "don't take good shots," "no need to get back on defense" and so on?