Thomas

2018 trade deadline thread

Just now, chipc3 said:

That is not what I heard from 3 different people in the room. What they all said was Heisley wanted Thabeet, Wallace wanted Tyreke Evans, Tony Barone Jr. (head of Scouting at the time) wanted Stephen Curry and Tony Barone Sr told Heisley if they drafted Tahbeet they would have to play him 30 minutes a night. Hollins didn't do that so I believe your information is incorrect but I wasn't in the room and everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe. 

I heard it from someone on the actual coaching staff well before the draft took place.   Hollins pushed for Thabeet and Heisley backed him.  You don't have to believe me. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I heard it from someone on the actual coaching staff well before the draft took place.   Hollins pushed for Thabeet and Heisley backed him.  You don't have to believe me. 

Hollins still lives in Memphis. We can find out. In the meantime we are talking about two different times. I was talking about in the draft room. You are talking some time before that. It's possible we are both correct. 

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Hollins was the one that wanted Thabeet.   I have it from a firm source that was in the organization at that time.   Hollins didn't believe in Gasol and believed that the team needed to upgrade defensively to get to the playoffs.   HE was the one that pushed to get Thabeet.    Heisley was a big fan of Lionel's and backed him up which is why they pulled the trigger.    Hollins "liked" Steph but didn't want him because he was ALL IN on Conley and also didn't think Steph was big enough to play defend SGs (his same opinion of Mayo).   

Just wanted to throw this out there.  Wallace still deserves to be flamed but time folks stop defaming Heisley. 

If you are gonna say things that are opposite of what has been considered common knowledge, it would give credibility to name names. "Secret sources say" is silly.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Hollins still lives in Memphis. We can find out. In the meantime we are talking about two different times. I was talking about in the draft room. You are talking some time before that. It's possible we are both correct. 

That's possible too.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

What I heard was that it was Jerry West that suggested Thabeet to Heisley. West was still serving as an advisor at that point.

1 minute ago, Wells said:

What I heard was that it was Jerry West that suggested Thabeet to Heisley. West was still serving as an advisor at that point.

Don't get you blame that on the great Jerry West, shame on you.

9 hours ago, WVgrizz said:

Don't get you blame that on the great Jerry West, shame on you.

Why not? Name any good draft picks that West made as GM here.

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

This is what I mentioned before. Not mad with them turning down picks in 50s. The Mudiay thing still has me confused

10 hours ago, MemphisX said:

3 plus 50>>>>>>>>>>>9 plus Tyreke

dumb organization stays dumb

You seem to have a lot of confidence in this front office if you think there is any difference in them making a pick at 3 as opposed to 9. Seems to me you are assuming they would make the correct pick at 3. I don't have that type of confidence in this FO. I wouldn't be surprised if they would pick the same player. 

1 hour ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

You seem to have a lot of confidence in this front office if you think there is any difference in them making a pick at 3 as opposed to 9. Seems to me you are assuming they would make the correct pick at 3. I don't have that type of confidence in this FO. I wouldn't be surprised if they would pick the same player. 

Maybe I am overestimating them but atleast two of the consensus  top choices of Ayton, Bagley, Porter or Doncic would be available. This is easier than a pool of Knox, Carter and Bridges. I could see them not properly assessing Porters health. However, no matter how bad you are your chances are just better at 3 than 9.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:39 PM, Dwash said:

Maybe I am overestimating them but atleast two of the consensus  top choices of Ayton, Bagley, Porter or Doncic would be available. This is easier than a pool of Knox, Carter and Bridges. I could see them not properly assessing Porters health. However, no matter how bad you are your chances are just better at 3 than 9.

I was about to say the same thing. The current front office (hopefully that will change before the draft) sucks at drafting. But it is a lot easier to guess right at 3 than at 9.

35 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I was about to say the same thing. The current front office (hopefully that will change before the draft) sucks at drafting. But it is a lot easier to guess right at 3 than at 9.

Then it should be even easier at #2. Oh, wait...

(Not sure if joking).

Barone sr wanted Thabeet, Wallace wanted Curry(said so on Vernon show when he was on in the late afternoon on am station, I wanted Evans and was disappointed not to hear him mentioned), Heisley was the tie breaker who sought Wests advise on his decision, it was dumb of Heisley to seek the advise of someone involved in the rebuild of another NBA team( and dumb of me to say that unsure if West was hired at the time but saying it anyway because its what fans do :)

17 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Barone sr wanted Thabeet, Wallace wanted Curry(said so on Vernon show when he was on in the late afternoon on am station, I wanted Evans and was disappointed not to hear him mentioned), Heisley was the tie breaker who sought Wests advise on his decision, it was dumb of Heisley to seek the advise of someone involved in the rebuild of another NBA team( and dumb of me to say that unsure if West was hired at the time but saying it anyway because its what fans do :)

The way I remember it, Heisley wanted Thabeet (through whatever advice he was given), Wallace wanted Tyreke, Hollins wanted Steph.

It's been a while though. My memory could be a little foggy. I just remember that draft absolutely ruining my beach vacation that year.

The one remaining from those names is Wallace, who got his opinion overridden. Will he make the final decision this time round? Let's hope whoever makes it gets it right.

4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I just remember that draft absolutely ruining my beach vacation that year.

So you don't qualify as a fairweather fan, even if it was sunny? :P

did anyone hear Hollinger with Edminston? I like Hollinger and was quite interesting to hear him dance around his answers to balance what he is allowed to say :)  but he again insists the offers for Tyreke was really bad (2nds in the 50s)

5 hours ago, GF#1 said:

The way I remember it, Heisley wanted Thabeet (through whatever advice he was given), Wallace wanted Tyreke, Hollins wanted Steph.

It's been a while though. My memory could be a little foggy. I just remember that draft absolutely ruining my beach vacation that year.

Ditto but I wasn't on the beach. 

This comes up every so often.  The Commercial Appeal had an article, but not currently linkable.

Here are some past posts though that quote that article (take the article for what it's worth).

From thread on Levien resigning, page 12 if it doesn't directly link

From another one when the horrible Thabeet draft was discussed again.

Has this quote below

According to the Tillery article published in 2010.

"Griz owner Michael Heisley entered the process with Thabeet in mind. Tony Barone Sr., director of player personnel, recommended Thabeet because of his shot blocking. Assistant general manager Kenny Williamson, director of scouting Tony Barone Jr. and coach Lionel Hollins liked Curry because of his pedigree and perimeter shooting. In the end, the general consensus was to draft Thabeet. Williamson and Barone Jr. are said to have resisted all the way, insisting that the pick should have been Curry. It is unclear where general manager Chris Wallace stood in the process and Heisley insists that there was no campaign mounted for former University of Memphis guard Tyreke Evans."

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This comes up every so often.  The Commercial Appeal had an article, but not currently linkable.

Here are some past posts though that quote that article (take the article for what it's worth).

From thread on Levien resigning, page 12 if it doesn't directly link

From another one when the horrible Thabeet draft was discussed again.

Has this quote below

According to the Tillery article published in 2010.

"Griz owner Michael Heisley entered the process with Thabeet in mind. Tony Barone Sr., director of player personnel, recommended Thabeet because of his shot blocking. Assistant general manager Kenny Williamson, director of scouting Tony Barone Jr. and coach Lionel Hollins liked Curry because of his pedigree and perimeter shooting. In the end, the general consensus was to draft Thabeet. Williamson and Barone Jr. are said to have resisted all the way, insisting that the pick should have been Curry. It is unclear where general manager Chris Wallace stood in the process and Heisley insists that there was no campaign mounted for former University of Memphis guard Tyreke Evans."

See the source image

11 hours ago, VikingWarrior said:

did anyone hear Hollinger with Edminston? I like Hollinger and was quite interesting to hear him dance around his answers to balance what he is allowed to say :)  but he again insists the offers for Tyreke was really bad (2nds in the 50s)

Philly showed a lot of interest in Reke at the deadline and they will have money to throw at him this offseason. They can easily offer him a rich one year deal or a multi year deal more than the MLE. It was stupid not to get something in return. There is no excuse for that.

4 hours ago, Grizball said:

Philly showed a lot of interest in Reke at the deadline and they will have money to throw at him this offseason. They can easily offer him a rich one year deal or a multi year deal more than the MLE. It was stupid not to get something in return. There is no excuse for that.

They already did that with Redick, not out of the question.

19 hours ago, GF#1 said:

That's the way I remember it too.  And that Barone Sr (the buffoon) was in Heisley's ear, and convinced him to take Thabeet.

In fact, I remember Thabeet didn't even work out for us (had some lame excuse).  Looking back, he knew he would be exposed in a workout with any prospects with a pulse.