Thomas

2018 trade deadline thread

3 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

They cheeped out on Evans. Other teams and FO did. He was worth a late first.

You may be right. 

Some of the teams we thought would grab him to make a playoff push must have thought, "ya know what? With him we still don't beat GSW, SAS, HOU, ... let's keep that pick." 

1 minute ago, TimBC said:

You may be right. 

Some of the teams we thought would grab him to make a playoff push must have thought, "ya know what? With him we still don't beat GSW, SAS, HOU, ... let's keep that pick." 

I would have thought pick 23-28 he was worth in the first round

Mudiay is trash.

A 2nd rnd pick aint worth the toilet paper its written on.

We have enough trash on this roster without adding to it.

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Mudiay is trash.

A 2nd rnd pick aint worth the toilet paper its written on.

We have enough trash on this roster without adding to it.

Sometimes you just need to be in the right place to get it going.

But I agree. Second round picks are mostly trash.

It would have been something if Evans walks away this summer

You guys focusing on the 2nd round pick when you need to focus on the difference between picking top 4 and the 9th pick.

4 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Our FO still isn’t as bad as Orlando’s. It’s close though.

Orlando hasn't been ok since shaq left

4 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

You guys focusing on the 2nd round pick when you need to focus on the difference between picking top 4 and the 9th pick.

If we don't get a top 4 pick this season is going to be for nothing 

5 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Not moving Reke for a future pick not only hurts the team down the road but also could hurt them this summer. 2nd round picks by themselves aren’t usually very valuable but they can make the difference between a future deal getting done or not. 

5 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Our FO still isn’t as bad as Orlando’s. It’s close though.

Or Kings?

Or Utah?

Honestly those two got fleeced. If our FO made that deal there would be war on the streets

2 hours ago, Holidayinn21 said:

I wonder if the change of heart to trade Reke had anything to do with Marc saying they should keep him(even though he's been taking slick shots at him in his typical passive way all year).

We all Marc has the organization by the balls.

The first part of your first statement is likely true. The second part is your opinion (and the haters like Memfizz) How do you know this? Looks like good chemistry to me, especially since Fizdale got the flick.

Maybe they spoke to Reke and wanna keep him beyond this season. If Reke agrees is that not a good thing?

6 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

If we don't get a top 4 pick this season is going to be for nothing 

We aren’t getting a top 4. We aren’t even in the Top 5 in lottery chances right now. With Reke returning I don’t see us getting there.

5 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

Las Vegas Grizzlies baby! It's getting close to a reality.

Nada. Think Seattle.  People on this board need to realize that Memphis just doesn't measure up as a worthy NBA city.  

All isn't lost. It looks like Tyreke is a buyout candidate.  They may let him walk and join another team.

9 hours ago, Dwash said:

Lou Williams only got 3 years 24 million. This also sets the market for Tyreke to be resignable at MLE. Assuming he is interested in returning because other teams will likely offer this as well.

yes that would seem logical.

Maybe Reke and Marc actually get on? Maybe Reke like the city?

We'd actually have a decent team if it was healthy. IMO Conley could play now if we weren't tanking. Parsons may never be of any use ever again....

Instead if trying to jettison players that can actually play at NBA standard (Marc, Reke) for trash and useless 2nd picks, maybe we should have jettisoned players who cant. I'm disappointed we didnt try to move Green. Maybe we did, and no other GM thought Green was worth the price tag he's on (except us)

9 minutes ago, dagrizzster said:

Everyone in the league knew Tyreke wasn't worth a 1st.... except the Grizzlies apparently. Nice job, Wallace

He knew too, but he had to try. 

26 minutes ago, scooter said:

Nada. Think Seattle.  People on this board need to realize that Memphis just doesn't measure up as a worthy NBA city.  

BS--This city has proven itself since day one. 

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

BS--This city has proven itself since day one.. 

Your city will lose the franchise; but I can understand your loyalty.

38 minutes ago, Michael D said:

All isn't lost. It looks like Tyreke is a buyout candidate.  They may let him walk and join another team.

They owe him that much. It would actually help in our chances to resign him.  Plus opens up a roster spot for another tryout.

Winner: Teams playing the buyout market

Loser: Memphis Grizzlies

A major storyline before the deadline was lottery teams holding on to players on expiring contracts when they didn't get the return they sought. Most notably, the Grizzlies kept Tyreke Evans when they were apparently unable to get a first-round pick for him.

The fact that Evans was on a one-year contract complicated both Memphis' efforts to trade him and the team's future efforts to re-sign him. The Grizzlies have only non-Bird rights, a weak form of Bird rights that allows them to exceed the cap to re-sign him for 120 percent of his $3.3 million salary. To pay Evans more than that, Memphis will have to utilize its midlevel exception.

If Evans ends up walking for a similar or more lucrative offer elsewhere, getting anything in return would have been better than keeping him. The Grizzlies also had to weigh how much keeping Evans and playing him the rest of the year will hurt their draft positioning. Amazingly, Memphis has outscored opponents by 0.8 points per 100 possessions with Evans on the court this season, according to NBA Advanced Stats. When Evans sits, the Grizzlies have been outscored by 8.4 points per 100 possessions. Considering all that, I would have traded Evans. One thing I wonder is how much the public posturing that Memphis expected a first-round pick in return affected the internal decision-making about whether to trade Evans for second-round picks.

While Evans won't likely hit the buyout market, other players who ended up staying put such as Tony Allen, Marco Belinelli, Vince Carter, Nerlens Noel and Brandan Wright could secure buyouts from their teams. That's good news for the contenders that didn't make a trade Thursday.

The Oklahoma City Thunder could particularly benefit from adding a guard to help fill the void left by Andre Roberson's injury, while a buyout was always the best chance for the Golden State Warriors to upgrade their bench. The Cleveland Cavaliers opened up two additional roster spots with their trades (one of them of earmarked for Kendrick Perkins). The Houston Rockets also have a spot open, as do the Toronto Raptors, who can offer more than the veterans minimum using their biannual exception.

Just read on twitter that Tyreke is ticked off, can't blame him. I mean who the heck sends a player home without a deal in place???

22 minutes ago, scooter said:

Your city will lose the franchise; but I can understand your loyalty.

Maybe, anything is possible.

The success and failures of the franchise are not the fault of the city. Memphis fans and the corporate community have proven themselves. Maybe it's time for the franchise to be Memphis worthy. 

2 minutes ago, cdp said:

Just read on twitter that Tyreke is ticked off, can't blame him. I mean who the heck sends a player home without a deal in place???

Yeah I have heard from someone who is kinda in the local "basketball circle" that Tyreke couldnt wait to get out. Didnt know how legit it was.