Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Asking the TANK CROWD..What make you guys think a high lottery will stay in memphis?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Except that is not my premise. My premise is this: You aren't going to win the title if you don't have a Hall of Fame level player. Nothing about having a Hall of Fame level player alone gets you closer than a group of solid players. Just that if you want to be more than a good team, if you want to be a great team, you need a Hall of Fame level player.

Ergo, breaking up a core 4 to find a superstar gets you closer to a championship, which is exactly what I said your premise was.

Let me ask this another way should Boston blow up their team because they have no Hall of Famers on it and go for a Hall of Famer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

To lsugf's point, not having a hall of famer makes it near impossible. What team in the last 40 years, less the 2004 Pistons, won the title without a hall of famer (or future HOFer).

Even Chauncey Billups has been nominated. He might eventually get in there.

Yeah, but he is really only being nominated largely because he won the title. No ring and he isnt in the discussion. Like he is only hof material AFTER the ring not a hof talent that you build around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Ergo, breaking up a core 4 to find a superstar gets you closer to a championship, which is exactly what I said your premise was.

Let me ask this another way should Boston blow up their team because they have no Hall of Famers on it and go for a Hall of Famer?

Excuse me but don't you have to retire before you can become a HOF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Let me ask this another way should Boston blow up their team because they have no Hall of Famers on it and go for a Hall of Famer?

Kyrie will make the Hall of Fame. Who knows what Tatum will become? So should they blow it up? No. They have that solid core plus multiple high draft picks still coming their way. The main reason to blow up the Grizzlies core has always been the combination of 1) no high end talent and 2) no avenue in which to get high end talent, i.e. no future assets or current quality young assets. I would have been fine with keeping the core four together if they were younger and the team had a way to add to them without blowing it up.

I advocated to blow this team up three years ago. I said that the team had reached its peak and would only go downhill. I also said that the lack of quality young players on the team and the lack of quality draft picks would bite us in the butt. It has. Big time. The reason the Celtics are where they are is because Danny Ainge had the foresight to realize that his core, which was way better than ours, could no longer compete for the title. Rather than wait for that team to completely die off, he traded them for assets while they still had value.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Excuse me but don't you have to retire before you can become a HOF?

Yes. I usually try to say Hall of Fame level player because I am always worried that someone will say "He's not in the Hall of Fame." Surprisingly that has not happened. I think most of the posters on the board know LeBron James is a Hall of Fame player even if he isn't retired, just to use an example. Now sometimes we disagree on players, such as above. KBM thinks Kyrie is worse than Conley. Conley has no hope of making the Hall of Fame. He has never even made an All-Star team. So I am guessing KBM doesn't not believe that Kyrie is a future Hall of Famer. I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Kyrie will make the Hall of Fame. Who knows what Tatum will become? So should they blow it up? No. They have that solid core plus multiple high draft picks still coming their way. The main reason to blow up the Grizzlies core has always been the combination of 1) no high end talent and 2) no avenue in which to get high end talent, i.e. no future assets or current quality young assets. I would have been fine with keeping the core four together if they were younger and the team had a way to add to them without blowing it up.

I advocated to blow this team up three years ago. I said that the team had reached its peak and would only go downhill. I also said that the lack of quality young players on the team and the lack of quality draft picks would bite us in the butt. It has. Big time. The reason the Celtics are where they are is because Danny Ainge had the foresight to realize that his core, which was way better than ours, could no longer compete for the title. Rather than wait for that team to completely die off, he traded them for assets while they still had value.

Yes. I usually try to say Hall of Fame level player because I am always worried that someone will say "He's not in the Hall of Fame." Surprisingly that has not happened. I think most of the posters on the board know LeBron James is a Hall of Fame player even if he isn't retired, just to use an example. Now sometimes we disagree on players, such as above. KBM thinks Kyrie is worse than Conley. Conley has no hope of making the Hall of Fame. He has never even made an All-Star team. So I am guessing KBM doesn't not believe that Kyrie is a future Hall of Famer. I do. 

I was replying to Amos Moses because his post was right above mine I didn't quote it. No 1 knows which guys are going to be able to make the HoF. Boston doesn't seem to have a big dog right now but it sure wouldn't surprise if they don't have 1 in the young players they have. Just give them a little time. I wouldn't count Horford out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I was replying to Amos Moses because his post was right above mine I didn't quote it. No 1 knows which guys are going to be able to make the HoF. Boston doesn't seem to have a big dog right now but it sure wouldn't surprise if they don't have 1 in the young players they have. Just give them a little time. I wouldn't count Horford out yet.

The fact that Boston doesn't have a big dog as you say and as I pointed out is indicative of the fact of how hard it is to actually get a Superstar player. 

With all those pics that they had they had to end up giving up Isaiah Thomas and a bunch of other pics just to get them a player who may or may not get to the Hall of Fame Kyrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Allen said:

Are you even a Grizzlies fan? If not why are you here?

I'm tanking.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 10:53 PM, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

How do you know what kind of following OKC has?

I live in the Philippines. And you have here people wearing OKC gear.

No chance you catch anyone wearing Grizz apparel, if you do it's probably me.

 

Head over to our sports stores, you'd be very lucky if you get to see Grizz gear. It's always the big name teams Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Spurs, Thunder,  and god we even have more Pelicans and Blazers gear.

 

What's driving the market on non-US areas are the marquee players, and that's something we'd only get through the draft. It's the Kobe's and Lebron's that make the franchise famous.

Even Lillard has a great following here in Asia. Mike Conley? They have no clue who the guy is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OKC may be big over there but I imagine they were bigger when they had KD. The Knicks sales will be way above OKC because there are so many people there. Smaller market teams don't get the exposure that the big market teams do except SA and that's because they have been such a good tem for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

OKC may be big over there but I imagine they were bigger when they had KD. The Knicks sales will be way above OKC because there are so many people there. Smaller market teams don't get the exposure that the big market teams do except SA and that's because they have been such a good tem for so long.

Which just proves that for the international market, its more of the Stars than the teams.

Fans get to root for a team, not because of the City, but because of their star players.

Even though KD left, OKC still had Westbrook. And that guy can still draw in fans from around the world. Having a superstar potential player even for just 2-3 years would greatly boost this team's market value and influence.

And another example would be Portland. Lillard even has a following here in Asia. 

Right now, no one cares for the Grizz outside TN. There's just a few crumbs of us out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Mike said:

Which just proves that for the international market, its more of the Stars than the teams.

Fans get to root for a team, not because of the City, but because of their star players.

Even though KD left, OKC still had Westbrook. And that guy can still draw in fans from around the world. Having a superstar potential player even for just 2-3 years would greatly boost this team's market value and influence.

And another example would be Portland. Lillard even has a following here in Asia. 

Right now, no one cares for the Grizz outside TN. There's just a few crumbs of us out there.

Great points.  So which one of the upcoming lottery picks do you think would draw interest internationally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Great points.  So which one of the upcoming lottery picks do you think would draw interest internationally?

Doncic for sure. None of the others have recognizable names abroad, yet. One issue with strong draft years is that there isn't one clear top pick (or top two choice, think Oden vs KD) everyone will be talking about for a whole year.

Wait until the NCAA season ends and the hype machines start working and we'll revisit this question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Doncic for sure. None of the others have recognizable names abroad, yet. One issue with strong draft years is that there isn't one clear top pick (or top two choice, think Oden vs KD) everyone will be talking about for a whole year.

Wait until the NCAA season ends and the hype machines start working and we'll revisit this question.

That's true i forgot all about guys becoming "tournament darlings" and translating that to fame.  So Doncic brings fans to games in opposing arenas?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's true i forgot all about guys becoming "tournament darlings" and translating that to fame.  So Doncic brings fans to games in opposing arenas?  

If Doncic is an all star he will, but that goes for most players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's true i forgot all about guys becoming "tournament darlings" and translating that to fame.  So Doncic brings fans to games in opposing arenas?  

In Spain definitely. In Euroleague arenas are packed as a matter of fact, so it's hard to say if any particular player has an impact (and Real Madrid has a big draw by itself). But Doncic is definitely a media darling and the most recognizable young Euro player since his huge contribution to Slovenia's Eurobasket championship last summer.

Just listen to the crowd when he limped to collect his all-tournament trophy after twisting his ankle. Even the Serbian fans that had just lost the final cheered.

As for the NCAA prospect, I suspect the next two months will say if there are one or two guys clearly above the others. Other than personal preference I don't think that's clear at all right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

If Doncic is an all star he will, but that goes for most players. 

Well, the question was originally about international audiences, but you raise a good point. Making the all star game is a surefire way to draw international interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

If Doncic is an all star he will, but that goes for most players. 

Yea i get what you are saying here.  Internationally the AllStar cred is what get you on the radar.   Teams like Grizzlies are for the diehards and true fans of the NBA  like yourself. 

 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

In Spain definitely. In Euroleague arenas are packed as a matter of fact, so it's hard to say if any particular player has an impact (and Real Madrid has a big draw by itself). But Doncic is definitely a media darling and the most recognizable young Euro player since his huge contribution to Slovenia's Eurobasket championship last summer.

Just listen to the crowd when he limped to collect his all-tournament trophy after twisting his ankle. Even the Serbian fans that had just lost the final cheered.

As for the NCAA prospect, I suspect the next two months will say if there are one or two guys clearly above the others. Other than personal preference I don't think that's clear at all right now.

yea i can tell the difference in the reaction.   I am know trying to think of any International Star player that got fans excited and in the seats before earning an AllStar berth.   Only one i can think of is Rubio.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

yea i can tell the difference in the reaction.   I am know trying to think of any International Star player that got fans excited and in the seats before earning an AllStar berth.   Only one i can think of is Rubio.  

Come on, man, don't you remember the Bargnani craze? :P

Nah, aside from Rubio I recall Yao Ming, but that was a whole different era. Joel Embiid would definitely have had that effect but his injuries deflated the hype.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Come on, man, don't you remember the Bargnani craze? :P

Nah, aside from Rubio I recall Yao Ming, but that was a whole different era. Joel Embiid would definitely have had that effect but his injuries deflated the hype.

 

Bargnani LOL nice.   Maybe Darko?  

Yao Ming for sure but he had a huge nation behind him and being the first ethically Chinese NBA star was big.   Heck it even carried over to Lin. 

I don't count Embiid because he played in the states before hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

 Yao Ming for sure but he had a huge nation behind him and being the first ethically Chinese NBA star was big.   Heck it even carried over to Lin.

Yi Jianlian way before Lin. I seem to recall he was even refusing to work out for some teams or saying he wouldn't play for certain teams even if they drafted him. And the player comparisons were crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as to the title of the thread...

it makes no difference if the guy does leave after 3-4 years. that is the gm's job to bring in the absolute best talent available at the time. so, shaq left orlando way back when. are you saying that the magic made a mistake and should not have drafted him initially?

get the highest draft pick(s) we can and draft for today.

 

slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

as to the title of the thread...

it makes no difference if the guy does leave after 3-4 years. that is the gm's job to bring in the absolute best talent available at the time. so, shaq left orlando way back when. are you saying that the magic made a mistake and should not have drafted him initially?

get the highest draft pick(s) we can and draft for today.

 

slim.

This pretty much sums up things.

And they made the NBA Finals once in those 3-4 years, who wouldn't want that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 1:31 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea i get what you are saying here.  Internationally the AllStar cred is what get you on the radar.   Teams like Grizzlies are for the diehards and true fans of the NBA  like yourself. 

 

yea i can tell the difference in the reaction.   I am know trying to think of any International Star player that got fans excited and in the seats before earning an AllStar berth.   Only one i can think of is Rubio.  

Petro did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this