Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Asking the TANK CROWD..What make you guys think a high lottery will stay in memphis?

just look at he history of the NBA most high lottery picks once then become something special aren't even on the team that drafted them (Durant,Aldrigde,Harden,Irving,Cousins,George,,...the team that drafted them usually just go threw the growing pains with said play...said player gets tired of being on team that suck(which you have to be to get a high pick)....bolts at the first chance he gets...goes some where else and joins another superstar...said team is left sucking again and with another lottery pick...wash rinse repeat for god know how long...but for some reason you guys think that a generational player is going to stay in Memphis on a garbage team and bring us a title...LMBO...we have a better chance at built a team with depth than counting a getting and keeping a superstar...I bet some of you guys think the earth is flat too.

You have no chance of building a team with a bunch of 2nd picks and i drafted free agents. It’s just dumb.

How about we try the drafting a stud program at least once before we say it won’t work. 

A generational player is going to stay in Oklahoma City for his entire prime.

Our last good top five pick has been in Memphis 11 years. 

I think people's memories are short. I bet most don't remember the top draft picks that we did take. And how did those guys work out. Do you really trust this franchise to take the right pic even if you do have the top five?  Look at the grizzlies lottery years. We could be the 76ers franchise. Another person on these boards mentioned the wolves; they drafted well but still were terrible. It wasn't until a coaching and personnel change with trades turned them around. I don't care about or trust draft pics. Why would you want to indoctrinate a young mind into a culture of losing?  It's A RARE talent that can individually turn a franchise around almost single handedly. 

You want a high draft pick/young phenom? Great. Trade for him. But don't tank to get him. Winning and a winning culture brings talent to you more easily than a losing one.

1 hour ago, oneal-sama said:

I think people's memories are short. I bet most don't remember the top draft picks that we did take. And how did those guys work out. Do you really trust this franchise to take the right pic even if you do have the top five? 

Chris Wallace was our GM when we drafted all of those busts and he will not be our GM when we make the pick this summer. The new wave of GMs is significantly more competent and better at drafting than dinosaurs from the Chris Wallace/Billy King era.

1 hour ago, oneal-sama said:

You want a high draft pick/young phenom? Great. Trade for him. But don't tank to get him.

Umm yeah how do you propose we do that? You think anyone is actively looking to trade a high draft pick/young phenom for 33 year old Marc Gasol with a ticking time bomb supporting the rest of his body, invalid $153 million dollar man, or our unimpressive collection of 2nd round picks?

We have put ourselves into a position where the only hope of improvement is through the draft. And there are 4 or 5 all-star level talents that will be on the board this summer. That's why you tank to get one.

I assuming you guys wanna tank for we can win a championship...well tell me with the last ten years how many generational players have won rings with the the team that drafted them...ill wait...off the top of my head recently...curry,duncan,dirk,lenard and LeBron went back.

There’s absolutely no reason not to tank and get the best pick you can get

57 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

I assuming you guys wanna tank for we can win a championship...well tell me with the last ten years how many generational players have won rings with the the team that drafted them...ill wait...off the top of my head recently...curry,duncan,dirk,lenard and LeBron went back.

Kobe, Paul Pierce, Wade. 

Every year since the 2005

Players who actually play here learn to love the city and people, so its possible to draft a guy who ends up staying if we treat him like we do zbo, conley, or marc, or even a role player such as tony who we treated like a star..

Because they're locked for 3 years, and if the team plays great they'd stay.

Much better odds of em staying than convincing someone from FA to play for us. How's the Chandler Parsons signing coming, eh?

But hold on, isn't Mike Conley a lotto pick?

Nice try, CW. ;)

Because the NBA has finally incentivized stars who stay with the teams who drafted them, there will be very few cases of stars leaving good situations. Players aren't dying to get to New York or LA like they used to.

Build it right and keep them happy and they will have no reason or desire to leave.

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Chris Wallace was our GM when we drafted all of those busts and he will not be our GM when we make the pick this summer. The new wave of GMs is significantly more competent and better at drafting than dinosaurs from the Chris Wallace/Billy King era.

Umm yeah how do you propose we do that? You think anyone is actively looking to trade a high draft pick/young phenom for 33 year old Marc Gasol with a ticking time bomb supporting the rest of his body, invalid $153 million dollar man, or our unimpressive collection of 2nd round picks?

We have put ourselves into a position where the only hope of improvement is through the draft. And there are 4 or 5 all-star level talents that will be on the board this summer. That's why you tank to get one.

... and you know this how?

8 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Except that two of three all-stars in OKC ended up in Houston and Golden State.  OOPS!

7 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Except that two of three all-stars in OKC ended up in Houston and Golden State.  OOPS!

But they made it all the way to the Finals, and now have a massive worldwide following.

Something we never had. I'd take that anyday rather than what this franchise had achieved.

8 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Check-

11 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

But they made it all the way to the Finals, and now have a massive worldwide following.

Something we never had. I'd take that anyday rather than what this franchise had achieved.

-Mate

Apparently the OP doesn't realize that our current franchise player was drafted 4th overall and has been here his entire 10 year career.  Apparently the OP doesn't realize that top 4 pick also helped us get to the Western Conference Finals.  we also have had no problem keeping him even though his hometown actually has a NBA team too. 

We are not saying pull a Philly and tank for 5 years straight.  We are saying pull a San Antonio and embrace the tank THIS season.   No one in their right mind is expecting a young draft pick to take us to a championship immediately but its insane not to attempt to add a talented young player on a cheap deal that we will have the best chance to keep longterm.   In order to keep a playoff "appearance" streak alive. 

9 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

just look at he history of the NBA most high lottery picks once then become something special aren't even on the team that drafted them (Durant,Aldrigde,Harden,Irving,Cousins,George,,...the team that drafted them usually just go threw the growing pains with said play...said player gets tired of being on team that suck(which you have to be to get a high pick)....bolts at the first chance he gets...goes some where else and joins another superstar...said team is left sucking again and with another lottery pick...wash rinse repeat for god know how long...but for some reason you guys think that a generational player is going to stay in Memphis on a garbage team and bring us a title...LMBO...we have a better chance at built a team with depth than counting a getting and keeping a superstar...I bet some of you guys think the earth is flat too.

None of the players you listed bolted the first chance they got. Harden was traded, which had nothing to do with him. Every other person you listed signed an extension. Yes, they left. No, they didn't leave the first chance they got. Their team had every chance to convince them to stay.

But that brings up the age old question: do you refuse date the world's most perfect woman/man because you are afraid she/he will leave you eventually? Whatever your answer is to this says a lot about your personality. I choose not to live in fear and go for the gusto.

The other knock people put on Memphis is it can't attract marquee talent in free agency. If you can't draft talent and can't sign talent, how are you ever going to get talent? If you trade for it, won't it just leave you like the draft pick? 

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

NBA Champs and Hall of Fame level players on that year's team that were drafted by the team

2017: Golden State- Curry, Klay, Green

2016: Cleveland- Kyrie 

2015: Golden State- Curry, Klay, Green

2014: San Antonio- Duncan, Parker, Leonard, Ginobli

2012-2013: Heat- Wade

2011: Dallas- Dirk

2009-2010: Lakers- Kobe

2008: Celtics- Pierce

2007: Spurs- Duncan, Ginobli, Parker

2006: Heat- Wade

2005: Spurs- Duncan, Ginobli, Parker

2004: Pistons- no one (only team in history to win the title without a HOF player)

2003: Spurs- Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, Robinson

2000-2002: Lakers- Kobe

So every team this century that has won the title, except the 2004 Pistons, has had a Hall of Fame level player on the team that was drafted by the team. You want to win the title? You better draft you a Hall of Fame level player. Mike and Marc are not Hall of Fame level players. (yes, I know Kobe was not technically drafted by LA. But they traded for the pick and made the selection of Kobe. The rules just say Charlotte drafted him. I still count him as a Lakers draft pick)

15 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

None of the players you listed bolted the first chance they got. Harden was traded, which had nothing to do with him. Every other person you listed signed an extension. Yes, they left. No, they didn't leave the first chance they got. Their team had every chance to convince them to stay.

But that brings up the age old question: do you refuse date the world's most perfect woman/man because you are afraid she/he will leave you eventually? Whatever your answer is to this says a lot about your personality. I choose not to live in fear and go for the gusto.

The other knock people put on Memphis is it can't attract marquee talent in free agency. If you can't draft talent and can't sign talent, how are you ever going to get talent? If you trade for it, won't it just leave you like the draft pick? 

NBA Champs and Hall of Fame level players on that year's team that were drafted by the team

2004: Pistons- no one (only team in history to win the title without a HOF player)

So every team this century that has won the title, except the 2004 Pistons, has had a Hall of Fame level player on the team that was drafted by the team. You want to win the title? You better draft you a Hall of Fame level player. Mike and Marc are not Hall of Fame level players. (yes, I know Kobe was not technically drafted by LA. But they traded for the pick and made the selection of Kobe. The rules just say Charlotte drafted him. I still count him as a Lakers draft pick)

If you are looking for a wife, then that woman is just a waste of your time.

The grizzlies have very little chance to win a title, but the shot is a lot better when you keep your vets and don't start over. Because no team with a rebuilding rookies ever win a championship until those players have leverage to bolt, which most of the time they do.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

... and you know this how?

Writing is on the wall - think they're just waiting until ownership gets figured out before he gets the axe. Ever since the Fizdale firing it was clear his time was up.

And if I'm wrong Wallace has a much lower chance of blowing a top-5 pick since this is a 5 player draft than he does if he's picking like 9th, at which point it would almost be guaranteed that he strikes out.

There are going to be some mid-first round guys this time with NBA-ready bodies to play the 4/5.

Looking at a current 2018 mock draft,  it shows 4 guys between 230 and 260 in the mid first.  As long as they are not slow...

I don’t really how we could tank anymore than we are . Our roster is trash. I don’t see how we could send out a worse team. We’re gonna win a couple games here and there.

As for the op's original question, first round draft picks can be held by the team that drafts them up to seven years before they reach unrestricted free agency according to the current league/players association labor agreement. There is all kinds of twists, turns, qualifying offers, restricted free agency in there but bottom line if a player is drafted to a franchise he hates, the team can keep him up to seven years.

1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Nice

47 minutes ago, UofMark said:

As for the op's original question, first round draft picks can be held by the team that drafts them up to seven years before they reach unrestricted free agency according to the current league/players association labor agreement. There is all kinds of twists, turns, qualifying offers, restricted free agency in there but bottom line if a player is drafted to a franchise he hates, the team can keep him up to seven years.

Ever hear of Danny Ferry?

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If you are looking for a wife, then that woman is just a waste of your time.

This says a lot about you and your self confidence. None of which is a surprise to me.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies have very little chance to win a title, but the shot is a lot better when you keep your vets and don't start over. Because no team with a rebuilding rookies ever win a championship until those players have leverage to bolt, which most of the time they do.

I've been through this with you many times over the years. Either you don't get it or you refuse to believe it. Every team that has won the title, except the 2004 Pistons, has had a Hall of Fame level player. That is the entire history of the NBA. All except for a hand full have had a Hall of Fame level player that they drafted or traded for on draft night. The Grizzlies do not have that level talent on their team. 

So let's go over the ways to acquire it: 

1). Sign as a free agent- Well all I ever get told is how no big name free agent will sign in Memphis. The bigger issue is we have no cap space to do so. So either way, this option isn't happening.

2). Trade for it- Remind me what exactly we have again that has any trade value. Mike and Marc have value. Tyreke has value. Outside of that, we have very little value on our roster. We still owe a draft pick to Boston that is protected to the point it appears it may not convey for a few years. So our future draft picks hold little value because they may end up being way down the road.

3). Draft it- we have a pick this year. It will be a lottery pick. After that we owe a pick to Boston. Regardless of what pick we end up with, you are right about one thing; it won't be until after they have the leverage to leave that they will be good enough to compete for a title. That means 4 or more years down the road. Will Mike and Marc even be playing in 4 more years? If so, will they be good enough to be significant contributors to a championship team? If not, and I don't think they would be, why would you hold onto them now?

The one thing about every one of these options is the player ALWAYS has the leverage to bolt. Are we supposed to avoid superstar players because they may want to leave? Is that really what you want the team to do? Because I am the exact opposite, I say get a star and have him attract other top tier players to the team. No matter the tradition of the Spurs, Aldridge isn't signing with them unless he felt like they could win going forward; Leonard is the reason they signed Aldridge. Jimmy Butler didn't have a no trade clause, but if he raised hell about going to Minnesota, that trade would not have happened. He didn't because he was willing to come play with Towns. LeBron is from the Cleveland area, but do you really think he goes back if they didn't have Kyrie and the assets (the previous 2 #1 picks) to get Love? I don't. Golden State is a major city. No one was signing there until this recent run. Why did Durant sign there? To play with Curry, Thompson, and Green.