oldmanGrizz

Who Could Be Traded?

Amico I believe tweeted that they were looking at McLemore and Ennis.

With the earlier reports about Tyreke, it does sound like they are willing to move players.

Just hope the asking price isn't too high and they find some takers.

I'm not sure what the market for McLemore is. His stock was very low when we signed him and his poor performance after the injury is not exactly a selling point. I wouldn't be surprised if teams asked us for a 2nd round pick in order to absorb his salary.

Ennis looks more marketable. He's played very well in stretches and his expiring salary is big enough to be interesting. I'd be concerned with the contracts coming back along with a pick.

I think McLemore is doing an excellent job.......of playing himself out of the league.

I can't think of any reason of why a team would want him for more than league minimum.

I hope everybody is on the table. The only person I wouldn't trade right now is Conley because I think he's worth more when he's playing, but hey if there's good value out there for him then I'd go for that too.

Some of the young guys like Brooks/Simmons are fun but none have enough upside to hold me back from moving them if they're the sweetener needed to make a deal that could lead us to a future difference maker happen.

Nobody should be off the table but we shouldn't do a fire sale either. Most GMs can smell the blood of a desperate franchise from hundreds of miles away. And who knows, with a young elite player in the roster we could be back in playoff contention next season (I'm skeptical but I don't rule it out).

1 hour ago, GoGrizz! said:

I don't see us trading Marc Gasol. However I think Tyreke will go first, Brandan Wright will go second, and Ennis will go third.

I don't see us moving Wright or Ennis unless someone wants expiring contracts and, unless we are getting a player with some real value or a pick, I don't think I would move them.  Just let them finish their time and see what the free agent market has.  They could possibly move them with Tyreke to make up for salary difference in bringing back a worthwhile player though.

I am just going to go under the assumption here that our front office is not trading Gasol or Conley, in the hopes that somehow  there is some iteration of a team that can still be built with them. 

Personally, I think it's time to start over.  But I'm trying to think about what could be realistic.

So assuming this, I think the only rational move is to trade Parsons for as many liquid assets as you can, meaning, free up as much money as you can.  Take back as many draft picks and expiring contracts as you can finagle.  Move more people around said trade if you can, if it brings you back more liquidity.  The risk didn't pay off, and is unlikely to ever pay off to the extent we needed it to.

At this stage of the game, you have to think of a radical and effective reshaping of this roster this offseason.  If you're not starting from scratch, you have to have enough space to trade/sign our way back to respectability, with not a single asset coming back to you that pays off in 2-3 years, unless somehow you can net a very high 1st rounder.

I don't think this is realistic either, honestly.  We only do bold moves that come with risk, and this isn't the time to take on risk.  If we're trading people like McLemore or Ennis, it's just to attempt to prove to the fanbase that the team is "doing something".

5 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I am just going to go under the assumption here that our front office is not trading Gasol or Conley, in the hopes that somehow  there is some iteration of a team that can still be built with them. 

Personally, I think it's time to start over.  But I'm trying to think about what could be realistic.

So assuming this, I think the only rational move is to trade Parsons for as many liquid assets as you can, meaning, free up as much money as you can.  Take back as many draft picks and expiring contracts as you can finagle.  Move more people around said trade if you can, if it brings you back more liquidity.  The risk didn't pay off, and is unlikely to ever pay off to the extent we needed it to.

At this stage of the game, you have to think of a radical and effective reshaping of this roster this offseason.  If you're not starting from scratch, you have to have enough space to trade/sign our way back to respectability, with not a single asset coming back to you that pays off in 2-3 years, unless somehow you can net a very high 1st rounder.

I don't think this is realistic either, honestly.  We only do bold moves that come with risk, and this isn't the time to take on risk.  If we're trading people like McLemore or Ennis, it's just to attempt to prove to the fanbase that the team is "doing something".

The Grizzlies F. O.. attempting  to try and fool the local fan base into believing that they "doing something" to improve the team is their mantra.

Nobody wants Parsons. You can't trade him for anything except worse contracts, unless you want to send out first round picks, which we don't.

Nobody wants McLemore. He's only 5 mil/year for one more year, it's not a big deal.

Ennis, Tyreke, JaMychal (maybe) you could ship for something.

There's no point to blow the whole thing up for no return this year only to be kicking ourselves in 3 years when we lose the #1 pick to Boston. Trade Reke and Ennis. Tank. Try to make playoffs next year. You can make playoffs with Marc, Mike, productive first rounder, Jamychal and bench flotsam

6 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

It's the only hope other than a complete blowout/firesale/tanking that would result in everyone leaving and a 5 year rebuilding, that could end up being a 10 year rebuilding if things didn't go well.  It's an option down the line.. but until then.. the hope is in the Conley/Gasol combo and then getting the right complementary pieces around them and then hoping that they stay healthy.