LuvThem Grizzlies

Deyonta gonna be a Star?

I'd be happy if he just continues to develop and becomes a solid rotation player/starter level talent.  I dont think star is the works but I'd love to be wrong.  He does seem to have come a long way this year.

plus he got his own shot on a couple of occasions. That's huge.

The Young'uns are coming along nicely, counting Simmons too.

He could be a star. 
The Griz finally have various skilled athletes that can spread the floor. Talent-wise they're finally becoming competitive. And this through drafting at the end of the draft!
Wallace is going to be here for a long time at this rate.

He made a jump hook so now he can be a star?

Let's start with rotation player first and go from there.  I think he's solid and can be a serviceable player though in the future.  These kids really don't break out like they used to though.

1. basic skills-a solid B. ; good hands, court awareness, athletic, quick jump, ball handling, good shooting technique.

2. attitude; decision making, creativity, positive learning curve, unselfish.

3. game; he's showing he can be a face-up player and can stretch defenses with good shooting, he created his own shot last night

I like when players develop slowly. It often means that they are assimilating more information. 

Big guys don't get a chance to develop ball handling and shooting skills early for obvious reasons. He has demonstrated these skills recently to me. That;s very impressive. I
If you can do basketball-things and have the size and athleticism to go with it, you're going to be successful. His ability to stretch the floor is a big plus in today's game. Just looking at his shooting form and recent success is what I go by.

OTOH, Simmons and Brooks are suspect in their shooting technique.

1 hour ago, The Stro Show said:

What has he shown you guys to suggest he could become a star? Maybe he could be a starter one day, but a star??

When you see a young guy knock down 4 different types of shots then you know he has talent. All he needs to do is get smoother with his moves and ball handling. There isn't any doubt in my mind that he can take over for Gasol,  probably even sooner than the Grizz may want him to. He's improving just about everyday although I know he will have some bad days.

3 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

It's possible, he knocked down a jump hook, step back jumper, a jumper and a lob last night. Somebody has been working with him.

I like Deyonta. but c'mon man, it's long way from a game with "a jump hook, step back jumper, a jumper and a lob" to a star.  I hope he continues to be a contributing player and feel he has potential.

I don't think it is possible for him to be a star in the current NBA.  It's a perimeter player's game.

He has shown noticeable improvement in the last month. 

20 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think it is possible for him to be a star in the current NBA.  It's a perimeter player's game.

It will only stay that way until the next ultra-talented big man comes along.

17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It will only stay that way until the next ultra-talented big man comes along.

The game has changed forever, just like the NFL is a passing league the NBA will always be a perimeter game. The next great big men are going to be able to dominate the paint, shoot from the perimeter, guard pg's/pick n rolls, etc. Kobe's video with ESPN called the Arc does a great job explaining this.

29 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The game has changed forever, just like the NFL is a passing league the NBA will always be a perimeter game. The next great big men are going to be able to dominate the paint, shoot from the perimeter, guard pg's/pick n rolls, etc. Kobe's video with ESPN called the Arc does a great job explaining this.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=21850605

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The game has changed but there will always be room for dominant big men, guys who can control the boards. Foreign players have greatly increased the number of bigs that can shoot the 3.

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Wasn't he at 1 time supposed to have been a lottery pick but fell in the draft?

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Wasn't he at 1 time supposed to have been a lottery pick but fell in the draft?

Yes he was. I cant remember why he fell so hard?

Amazing what a little PT can do to a young players development. Him and Badley are gonna be a solid duo