Grizz&Grind

Kobi Simmons

Kobi was only at Arizona for one year.  Not enough time to benefit from the weight coach and program.  If the Grizz are serious about the kid and I hope they are because the potential to be a solid NBA role player is pretty certain, they will hook him up with a personal trainer in the off season and he will pass the look test before you know it.  If a player looks like you can get away with "kicking sand in his face" you will see lots of opposing players out to do just that.

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

Glad to see him play over Chalmers.

Ditto but I hope he can shoot, it's not looking too good so far

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Wasn't Steph Curry the (or one of the) leading scorers in the nation before he was drafted, yet was passed on by several teams because some thought he was too small for the rigors of the NBA?  I'm sure Simmons could beef up his physique a bit.  Of course he probably doesn't have the talent that some of those other formerly skinny guys have, but he may become something more than what he is now.  For a really young undrafted kid I think he looks like he may have enough skill for the league.

I could be wrong, but I thought he was viewed as a tweener. Do people even label players tweeners anymore?

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I could be wrong, but I thought he was viewed as a tweener. Do people even label players tweeners anymore?

Heck, I don't know.  I heard the "tweener" thing too, but I'm pretty sure I heard some questioning his build/frame too.

15 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Heck, I don't know.  I heard the "tweener" thing too, but I'm pretty sure I heard some questioning his build/frame too.

Definitely remember that-plus thinking it myself. I probably would've passed on him-good thing I don't make those decisions.

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Definitely remember that-plus thinking it myself. I probably would've passed on him-good thing I don't make those decisions.

It's been quite a few years since I watched college ball so I wasn't really in the know about who was who that season, but I was leery about the possibility of selecting Thabeet just based on other posters.  I still didn't know who would have been a worthwhile selection though.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's been quite a few years since I watched college ball so I wasn't really in the know about who was who that season, but I was leery about the possibility of selecting Thabeet just based on other posters.  I still didn't know who would have been a worthwhile selection though.

Same here and I don't watch college at all. I probably only paid more attention to the top players that season because of our pick status. 

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Dude, that draft was so stupid.  I saw Dejuan Blair make Thabeet CRY in a game ....and that's the dude you are going to draft number 2?  Craziest damned thing ever, hands down.

In terms of who would have been better there were a lot of options.  I was hot for Curry but I could understand the issue with drafting him number 2 (ankle concerns).  But in that draft taken after Thabeet you had good players.
James Harden 3
Tyreek 4
Ricky Rubio 5
Steph Curry 7
DeMarr Derosen 9
Brandon Jennings 10
Gerald Henderson 12
Earl Clark 14
Ty Lawson 18
Jeff Teague 19
Omri Caspi 23

I mean...you had to try pretty hard to get a completely useless talent at 2.

55 minutes ago, Gradey said:

Dude, that draft was so stupid.  I saw Dejuan Blair make Thabeet CRY in a game ....and that's the dude you are going to draft number 2?  Craziest damned thing ever, hands down.

In terms of who would have been better there were a lot of options.  I was hot for Curry but I could understand the issue with drafting him number 2 (ankle concerns).  But in that draft taken after Thabeet you had good players.
James Harden 3
Tyreek 4
Ricky Rubio 5
Steph Curry 7
DeMarr Derosen 9
Brandon Jennings 10
Gerald Henderson 12
Earl Clark 14
Ty Lawson 18
Jeff Teague 19
Omri Caspi 23

Yeah, someone should have clued Heisley in.  I was just saying that I had no clue who we should take because I didn't watch any college ball at that time.

I forgot to DVR the game last night, so the box score is all I've got to go by.

First congrats to Martin for shooting 8-10 from the floor.  Doesn't bode well for the Lakers though.

Ennis and Simmons had the only negative +/- of all who played for Memphis.  Even Chalmers and Davis were statistically good.

I guess having only three guys play crappy out of ten is good enough to get a win. (Brooks had 5 points and 3 fouls in 30 minutes)

On 12/27/2017 at 1:24 PM, WVgrizz said:

I kinda like the kid...I mean he is going to play..Has more upside than Chalmers who is gone after this season anyway... Mise well see what this kid can do. Not gonna hurt us obviously. 

This is my feeling.

Keep Mario on the bench.  See what Kobi has.  I don't mind seeing Harrison out there because he doesn't seem to be taking a step back every week like Mario does.  Kobi and Harrison might still be in the league in 2 years.  I don't think Chalmers will be.

Kobi has shown his ups and downs this year, but he's not NBA ready. Jay Bilas bashed this kid because he came out and wasn't ready. I understand that he is 19-20, but he is still not ready. Thankfully, he has taken every advantage of every opportunity that is given to him, and he's performance is pushing Chalmers out. To be specifically honest, Chalmers will be the first Grizzly to be traded. 

Simmons' stats at Arizona: 37 G, 19 GS, .32% 3 point, .43% 2 point, .39% FG, about 2 assist per game, but he only averaged 8.7 PPG. Based off of that, Kobi Simmons was not ready to be an NBA player.

He's 6-5 175. Russell Westbrook is 6-3 200. So, the weight room will determines how long Simmons will be an NBA player. Former Grizzlie player comparison? Tony Wroten.

Same thing goes for Deyonta Davis, he needs to get in the weight room and get stronger. Understand he's 21, so hopefully he'll get stronger with experience. Davis could add 20 pounds of more muscle as well. I think he could be a little Steven Adams, but I'm hoping,

1 hour ago, GoGrizz! said:

Kobi has shown his ups and downs this year, but he's not NBA ready. ,

Who was the last undrafted NBA rookie that was NBA ready? Of course he isn't NBA ready. It should be all about who might be able to help the team down the road and getting them playing time so they can be better NBA players next year and beyond. It also gives the FO a better idea of what these young guys might be able to contribute in the future, and as we have seen, the FO needs all the help they can get.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Gradey said:

James Harden 3
Tyreek 4
Ricky Rubio 5
Steph Curry 7
DeMarr Derosen 9
Brandon Jennings 10
Gerald Henderson 12
Earl Clark 14
Ty Lawson 18
Jeff Teague 19
Omri Caspi 23

The grizzlies had OJ who looked promising, only in hindsight would people be like James Harden was the obvious choice. In fact, the grizzlies had Mike, Rudy, OJ and Lowry on that team. Offense wasn't the problem. The grizzlies drafted defense.

The only reason people hated thabeet on this board was because nobody only thing board cares about a game-changing defensive player. They LOVE offense.

Steph Curry was far from a sure thing either. OJ screwed up that draft. If the grizzlies had of kept Klove, like I suggested, then we might have very well drafted Harden.

I submit that OJ was just as big of a bust, if not more than Thabeet ever was, and y'all LOVED that people. So while y'all are lamenating thabeet, pour some liquor out for the ghost of kevin love.

5 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

Kobi has shown his ups and downs this year, but he's not NBA ready. Jay Bilas bashed this kid because he came out and wasn't ready. I understand that he is 19-20, but he is still not ready. Thankfully, he has taken every advantage of every opportunity that is given to him, and he's performance is pushing Chalmers out. To be specifically honest, Chalmers will be the first Grizzly to be traded. 

Mario's play has made him untradeable as an asset.  Maybe a throw in on a trade, but right now, I can't see any playoff team thinking he's be a smart addition (barring an injury).

Now, add in an injury, and the landscape of veteran backup PGs is pretty small.  It would help if he weren't still making decisions like it was 2009.

5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Who was the last undrafted NBA rookie that was NBA ready? Of course he isn't NBA ready. It should be all about who might be able to help the team down the road and getting them playing time so they can be better NBA players next year and beyond. It also gives the FO a better idea of what these young guys might be able to contribute in the future, and as we have seen, the FO needs all the help they can get.

Wesley Mathews?  But your point is absolutely correct Kobi has done far more than I expected of him this season.  He would have been better served staying at least another year but as a young 2 way player to try and develop for future service he was a good signing.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies had OJ who looked promising, only in hindsight would people be like James Harden was the obvious choice. In fact, the grizzlies had Mike, Rudy, OJ and Lowry on that team. Offense wasn't the problem. The grizzlies drafted defense.

The only reason people hated thabeet on this board was because nobody only thing board cares about a game-changing defensive player. They LOVE offense.

Steph Curry was far from a sure thing either. OJ screwed up that draft. If the grizzlies had of kept Klove, like I suggested, then we might have very well drafted Harden.

I submit that OJ was just as big of a bust, if not more than Thabeet ever was, and y'all LOVED that people. So while y'all are lamenating thabeet, pour some liquor out for the ghost of kevin love.

To say people on this board didn't like the Thabeet draft because he was a defensive player is largely incorrect most people that didn't like the selection thought he lacked the one skill he was supposed to bring.

3 hours ago, WKM said:

To say people on this board didn't like the Thabeet draft because he was a defensive player is largely incorrect most people that didn't like the selection thought he lacked the one skill he was supposed to bring.

But it is the truth. It was easy to say Thabeet was an obvious bust because even if thabeet had reached his potential most of y'all didn't care or respect that.

Most people knew that Thabeet wasn't going to be shaq or tim Duncan and the idea that we drafted the next mutombo was a sin that high in the draft. My point was that if thabeet had become mutombo that he would have easily earned his draft position, which the majority of the board disagreed with that.

That is also why y'all worshipped the oj pick, when it was clear that Klove was the better player, because Love was supposedly slow, out-of-shape man-boobs.

To say that most people knew that Thabeet didn't have one skill is the exact same as me saying that the board didn't care for game-changing defensive players, even if that player was a generational defender like mutombo or ben wallance, because that was what Thabeet was projected as.

As it turned out, thabeet was one of the most heartless players that I personally have ever seen. The guy was as gutless as Larry Sanders and Royce White. It was amazing how truly bad he was.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, bhoyal said:

I forgot to DVR the game last night, so the box score is all I've got to go by.

First congrats to Martin for shooting 8-10 from the floor.  Doesn't bode well for the Lakers though.

Ennis and Simmons had the only negative +/- of all who played for Memphis.  Even Chalmers and Davis were statistically good.

I guess having only three guys play crappy out of ten is good enough to get a win. (Brooks had 5 points and 3 fouls in 30 minutes)

I hope Brooks next season works on his jumper

12 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Nah I wasnt so happy with OJ either...not to the extent that I was throwing things when we drafted Thabeet.  I get the whole defense idea...but I literally watched a 6' 8" DeJuan Blair make this man cry in a basketball game.  Truly tears coming out of his eyes while Blair beat his ***.  There is NO DAMNED WAY you take that thing as number 2 overall.  No other reason did I have for my angst on that pick beyond the fact that I knew he had absolutely no chance at being a player in the NBA.  None, zero, zilch zip. 

Wow. I don’t understand why people are going as far to call someone a scrub. He hasn’t even been given a chance. After a period of time the come up with an evaluation of his talent level. 

23 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

Simmons' stats at Arizona: 37 G, 19 GS, .32% 3 point, .43% 2 point, .39% FG, about 2 assist per game, but he only averaged 8.7 PPG. Based off of that, Kobi Simmons was not ready to be an NBA player.

He's 6-5 175. Russell Westbrook is 6-3 200. So, the weight room will determines how long Simmons will be an NBA player. Former Grizzlie player comparison? Tony Wroten.

Same thing goes for Deyonta Davis, he needs to get in the weight room and get stronger. Understand he's 21, so hopefully he'll get stronger with experience. Davis could add 20 pounds of more muscle as well. I think he could be a little Steven Adams, but I'm hoping,

Chalmers won't be traded, he has no value and nobody wants him. He has more value to us as an expiring, let his salary drop off at the end of the season, I don't want to trade him for another scrub