Kevin B Moses

KBM's draft thoughts and opinions

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Kbm, I remember you saying you didn't want to tank because guys end up leaving at the first opportunity like Gordon Hayward. But then Utah in that same summer gets Mitchell who will probably be better than Hayward ever was.

Utah is exactly why you go and get young talent.

You misunderstood. I said you don't blow it up or trade great players like Mike and Marc for draft picks in order to tank, and similarly that blowing it up is less likely to garner a championship then just keeping the players we have and trying to find a star lower in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You misunderstood. I said you don't blow it up or trade great players like Mike and Marc for draft picks in order to tank, and similarly that blowing it up is less likely to garner a championship then just keeping the players we have and trying to find a star lower in the draft. 

You also said teams were bound to pass us so which one is is it? Was  it better to stand pat and try to find a star late in the draft or was half of the league bound to pass us?

20 minutes ago, Allen said:

You also said teams were bound to pass us so which one is is it? Was  it better to stand pat and try to find a star late in the draft or was half of the league bound to pass us?

It is correct to keep the players. You gain nothing by trading them. Blowing it up is never the right strategy. And yes, if you go to the playoffs 7 years in a row, you are going to have a more difficult time finding players in the draft that matter, and teams that are bad and get lottery luck will get better while you get worse.

But the thing is, those teams that have been tanking are not guaranteed to see it through to a championship team, because the stars they draft are likely to bolt just like hayward did and just like Mitchell will if he ever gets really good, just like Kyrie did, etc, on and on. 

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Well we kept our players too long and tried to find a star in the draft and this is what you get. Luckily, this draft is strong at the top so we might finally get a real star with the unintentional tank. 

The flaw in your logic is that blowing it up and tanking can absolutely lead to just as good or better things.

I think I see it now, Doncic reminds me of Joe Johnvson, maybe a little more passing. I would be worried about how close he is to his ceiling.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:25 PM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Bagley with a chill 32 and 21 against FSU. Haven't seen any freshman front court player this dominant since Durant.

GAT DAYUM

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think I see it now, Doncic reminds me of Joe Johnvson, maybe a little more passing. I would be worried about how close he is to his ceiling.

Old Joe because young Joe was a great athlete.

11 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Old Joe because young Joe was a great athlete.

That's why I'm not thrilled with Doncic. We've seen guys with good handles and passing skills before fail because they don't have a good shot or athletic ability.

Porter looks more like Joe Johnson to me. Again, Jaren Johnson is an athletic beast with a huge frame, plays great defense and is barely 18 years old. The guy has massive talent, in my opinion. 

I still would be happy with any of the top 6. Even Collin Sexton. Heck, i love Miles Bridges also.

i just want to get a guy with a size, length and athleticism advantage at his position.

2 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I still would be happy with any of the top 6. Even Collin Sexton. Heck, i love Miles Bridges also.

i just want to get a guy with a size, length and athleticism advantage at his position.

Wallace will draft some crippled guy with a great BBIQ.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Wallace will draft some crippled guy with a great BBIQ.

If Wallace gets to draft, I’ll be done with this team until the ownership changes.

9 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Nice for Wallace to give instant access to all of his scouting reports. What other organization provides this to its fans?

TBH tho, this the one time that going off the high school rankings wouldn't make me mad. 

Wallace definitely needs to be in the unemployment line when the draft starts.

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

TBH tho, this the one time that going off the high school rankings wouldn't make me mad. 

Wallace definitely needs to be in the unemployment line when the draft starts.

Levien was the only guy this org ever had up top that knew exactly what to do with Wallace.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Levien was the only guy this org ever had up top that knew exactly what to do with Wallace.

If you mean tell Wallace to stay home while he made worse deals than Wallace ever did, I guess so.  You won't see me asking for Levien over Wallace.

19 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I just want a perimeter player with star potential that is a media darling.   Someone who will put us on the map. No idea who that is.  

Trae Young is the only option.

22 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

If you mean tell Wallace to stay home while he made worse deals than Wallace ever did, I guess so.  You won't see me asking for Levien over Wallace.

When has Wallace ever made a move as good as Lee/Bayless or Koufos/Arthur?

3 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Young all the way. Unfortunately with the way we played the last two games I feel like we are about to move out of the top 5 of the draft

3 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

When has Wallace ever made as bad a move as Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington, Josh Selby, AND a first round pick for Jon Leuer?

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

When has Wallace ever made as bad a move as Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington, Josh Selby, AND a first round pick for Jon Leuer?

Please don’t bring that up. Speights was a piece we should have kept at all costs 

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

yeah, and the corporate spin was that that needed to be done to realize value for the Rudy Gay trade, because all the other GMs knew we had salary cap pressures and could have screwed us in the Rudy trade......

Thats why I'm having a hard time getting excited about tanking or "accumulating 2nd rnd picks as assets" because there is nothing in their track record to say it won't get stuffed up somehow

I haven't watched enough of the top NCAA prospects to compare (I really don't bother until February/March since IMHO that's really when you can gauge their value against comparable competition), and I'm sure I'm biased towards Doncic because I've watched him a lot (in person at last!), but I'd like to address a couple of statements about him that don't make a lot of sense to me:

Incompatibility with Conley.

Aside from wondering why we would ever draft a top 5 pick based on his compatibility with the current roster, this is a bit baffling. Sure, Doncic has great handles and passing skills, but he's not a ball dominant player. He often plays SG/SF with a pass first PG on the court, so I guess the idea that he needs the ball to be productive comes from his highlights. He's a good rebounder that can run coast to coast and finish at the rim, and he can create his own shot and break a few ankles in the process, so of course you're going to see more of those plays in Youtube, but they don't tell the whole story. Plus, it's not like Conley can't play off the ball.

Comparisons to Rubio or (gah) Hezonja.

Rubio was undoubtedly a precocious player and the fact that he was so dominant as a kid ended up screwing him in the long run because he never invested in building core strength or learning how to shoot (the two big reasons he hasn't reached his potential in the NBA). In fact his last few years in the ACB already began to show that something was not all right in his development, with dropping stats and minutes (not a good sign when you're 19 and a local star). As for Hezonja, any comparisons between him and Doncic only show someone hasn't watched either outside of the NBA. Allow me to quote myself:

On 6/20/2015 at 2:38 AM, fanboyslim said:

I have no doubts about Hezonja's attitude and self confidence. I have more doubts about his skills. He is in his third ACB season and is showing a line per game of 4.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.6 steals and 1.3 TOs, all in 14.7 mpg, and hasn't been able to take over Alex Abrines' starting spot at FC Barcelona. He's only 20 and has a ton of upside, but there's also a lot of bust potential in him.

On 6/21/2015 at 12:40 PM, fanboyslim said:

Mario Hezonja had a pretty good game 1 of the ACB finals until Rudy freaking Fernandez shut him down in the fourth quarter. Let that sink in.

On 12/6/2015 at 11:19 AM, fanboyslim said:

Hezonja is as likely to flame out as to succeed. He has great potential but an even greater ego. Everywhere he's been he's demanded to be regarded as the best player in the team even when it was painfully obvious he wasn't.

On 1/16/2016 at 7:30 PM, fanboyslim said:

I predict that when all is said and done, Porzingis will be a HOFer and Hezonja will be an afterthought. Remind me to check on this in 20 years.

Doncic has shown he has the drive, the skills and the physical tools to be a superstar in the NBA (I dare say, more than Porzingis when he was in the ACB). The only knock is the possibility that like Rubio he's also an early bloomer and his development might stall at some point, but unlike Rubio he's only getting better and better ahead of the draft.