Kevin B Moses

KBM's draft thoughts and opinions

The draft is actually a little thinner than what I expected. Outside of a few elite players, there is a pretty big drop off.

The more I watch Marvin Bagley, the more questions I have. The guy is a good scorer at the college level, but I just don't see this generational player that people see in him. I watched the game when he went up against Micheal Porter, and Porter looked far more elite to me. Bagley may come in and be a good scorer, but I seriously doubt you could build a team around him.

The guys I see as game changers are: Ayton, Doncic. I see Porter as a potential Joe Johnson.

The guy that I was most surprised by and a guy that if he puts it all together could be, IMO, the next Scottie Pippen/ Robert Horry/ Sean Elliot type, is Jaren Jackson Jr. This kids leaps off the screen at me. I would put him a solid 3rd.

If you want a wing shooter, outside of Micheal Porter, you got Miles Bridges.

Bamba is a good rebounder, but he got owed by Bagley. I think he could be a good defender, but I'm not wasting a top pick on him.

I like Mikal Bridges, but I don't see the touted defense he is known for. He is a good defender, but he ain't in Jaren Jackson's class at all. In fact, even though Miles Bridges' comeback for his softmore year has largely been a bust other than his improved free throw shooting, I might take him over his brother Mikal, because Miles is the superior shooter.

There are only 3 guys I trade Marc for in this draft: Ayton, Doncic and Jaren Jackson.

30 minutes ago, nwagrizzfan said:

We could easily get a top guy without trading Marc

I would love the grizzlies to draft Jaren Jackson and Miles Bridges, even though bridges, in many's eyes, probably took a step back this year.

If we trade Marc and can get Ayton and Jackson, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If we did it and took Wendal Carter or Kevin Knox, I'd be ******.

I am pretty infatuated by Jaren Jackson at this point. I still think Doncic and Ayton are 1 and 2 in the country and that Bagley is fools gold. The problem is if we took Doncic we might as well trade Mike and Marc.

Jackson fits best with the current team. So the safest route would be: draft Jackson, trade Tyreke and/or Jam Green for miles bridges or Jarred Vanderbilt.

Now:

Marc

Jaren Jackson

Miles Bridges/Jarred Vanderbilt

Dillon Brooks

Mike

Brooks and the fact that we have no bird rights, plus Chandler being a good super sub, makes Tyreke expendable. It would be tragedy if we don't trade him when his value is so high.  

I hope the team continues to improve and gets healthy. I trust the franchise's players far more than the front office's ability to get elite talent in the draft. 

If this team is not gonna make the playoffs, then the lottery pick needs to be no less than top 8 and preferably top 3-5.

It'd be hard for a team to miss out on,,,,

Ayton

Bagley

Doncic

Bamba

Porter

Sexton

T. Young

J. Jackson Jr.

I dunno what the team should do but I do know that if they end up with Ayton it's a must that they trade Gasol. Unless he's willin to come off the bench...

2 minutes ago, cdp said:

I dunno what the team should do but I do know that if they end up with Ayton it's a must that they trade Gasol. Unless he's willin to come off the bench...

It's not necessarily true. But even if it is, Jeran Jackson Jr is a perfect fit. Also, I've heard it many times that Ayton is an albatross on defense, and if that is the case, people are always going to gravity to the scorer, which is bagley. But Jeran Jackson jr, Micheal Porter and the guards that we don't need are the best in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, nwagrizzfan said:

We are now last in today's ESPN Power Rankings,,,,

I want Bagley or Porter

Bagely is overrated and hyped. The only times he scores is when he is a foot and a half taller than the guys he's going against. He would be a monumental bust which is why we'd likely draft him.

Jeran Jackson is the class of the draft, even Tom Izzo said that.

Deandrea Ayton, Luka Doncic, Collin Sexton and maybe Michael Porter if he can come back right are your only chances at a star in this draft. Bagley will bust, he gets away in college strictly due to athleticism but that won’t work because he’s not a freak athlete. Mo Bamba and Jaren Jackson are devoid of true skill, they’ll be maybe decent starters but not even close to players that can lead a team. 

47 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Deandrea Ayton, Luka Doncic, Collin Sexton and maybe Michael Porter if he can come back right are your only chances at a star in this draft. Bagley will bust, he gets away in college strictly due to athleticism but that won’t work because he’s not a freak athlete. Mo Bamba and Jaren Jackson are devoid of true skill, they’ll be maybe decent starters but not even close to players that can lead a team. 

Jackson is further away from what his true potential might be. He isn't close to a finished product. But you draft him because of all the things that are in his toolshed at the moment. The only guy on the list that is ready so to speak is Doncic. But his game is terrible for Mike who is our best player. If you draft Doncic you do it for him to become the unquestioned leader of the team, both with the basketball in his hands and off the court. The grizzlies don't need that. 

13 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Jackson is further away from what his true potential might be. He isn't close to a finished product. But you draft him because of all the things that are in his toolshed at the moment. The only guy on the list that is ready so to speak is Doncic. But his game is terrible for Mike who is our best player. If you draft Doncic you do it for him to become the unquestioned leader of the team, both with the basketball in his hands and off the court. The grizzlies don't need that. 

Get Trae and forget about Mike. 

People wrongly think that Bagley isn't that skilled because he plays with tremendous heart, passion and activity. Simply put, he is what you get when great talent meets great work ethic, he has an all time great motor. 

Guys like Bagley who have tremendous talent but still play harder than everyone come along very few times. I'm talking Westbrook/Kobe level heart.

You also don't draft a player that was developed in Spain and hope they become a superstar. The Spanish don't know how to develop stars, no coincidence that the best european level talents have nothing to do with Spain.

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Lord please don't draft a center that can't shoot because he can anchor a defense. I've seen that play out before.

My thoughts exactly. Bamba is Thabeet 2.0

3 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

My thoughts exactly. Bamba is Thabeet 2.0

I could see more like willie cauley stein but still a bad pick.

6 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would love the grizzlies to draft Jaren Jackson and Miles Bridges, even though bridges, in many's eyes, probably took a step back this year.

If we trade Marc and can get Ayton and Jackson, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If we did it and took Wendal Carter or Kevin Knox, I'd be ******.

I am pretty infatuated by Jaren Jackson at this point. I still think Doncic and Ayton are 1 and 2 in the country and that Bagley is fools gold. The problem is if we took Doncic we might as well trade Mike and Marc.

Jackson fits best with the current team. So the safest route would be: draft Jackson, trade Tyreke and/or Jam Green for miles bridges or Jarred Vanderbilt.

Now:

Marc

Jaren Jackson

Miles Bridges/Jarred Vanderbilt

Dillon Brooks

Mike

Brooks and the fact that we have no bird rights, plus Chandler being a good super sub, makes Tyreke expendable. It would be tragedy if we don't trade him when his value is so high.  

Trade Reke for who? Can’t be a straight up trade with another player since his contract is only $3.3M and expect to get a decent player. So we have to ask a team to take another contract from us.

I doubt we are getting a first round draft pick for Reke.

Evans and Wright for Stanley Johnson and Anthony Tolliver

Youth or draft picks, even upper 2nd rounders for the group - Tyreke/Wright/Ennis/Chalmers - all the 1 year deals - to every team in the playoff hunt that wants to tweak their roster.

Add the newly acquired to a rotation of Davis/Rabb/Brooks/Simmons and play out the string.

Save moving Gasol for the offseason unless a sweetheart deal comes along sooner.

As the trade deadline approaches, the FO should be looking at every angle to acquire young talent or picks.

I will just dismiss you as an idiot if you are talking about the draft in terms of Fitting with Gasol and Conley.  If you can’t see the obvious...