Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

What do you think Tyreke's value is?

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

So let me get this straight, we need to build our entire team around reke, but nobody in their right mind would give a throwaway first round pick for him, even though it happens literally every year.

I guess it makes sense since gasol is only worth a salary dump, and mike is untradeable due to his ginormous contract. 

Once again, I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say any of that. 

42 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Nah, that was two players that were first round picks and a first round pick for that rental.

Boy that worked out great for us. 

4 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

did not know this, fun fact of the day

Its actually that you cant have no pick at all (from any team) in back to back future years.

Example, when the Nets gave the Celts three first round picks for KG/Pierce, in the middle year it was a swap. Meaning that the Nets just got the lower of the Nets/Celts picks. The Nets could not give that pick away without getting another.

10 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

There are team out there that could do serious damage with Tyreke

His 1 year contract is a benefit to teams that don't want to tie up long term salary

He has value for teams looking to push into playoffs or top half teams that might need an edge in playoffs

To wit:

Knicks

Pistons

Bucks

Wizards

T-Wolves

Clippers

Raptors

Couldn't rule out Cavs trying to get him for a last push either. Or celtics if they have an injury.

I'd rather chase young players on rookie contracts who have actually shown some promise from these teams than get a mid to late 20s pick. This is where I'd focus my search if I were the front office.

25 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I'd rather chase young players on rookie contracts who have actually shown some promise from these teams than get a mid to late 20s pick. This is where I'd focus my search if I were the front office.

Agree.

But if BOS were fine with Tyreke for Ojeleye and the 29th, I'd be on-board.

I still wonder about his reputation with other FO's.

It's not like teams couldn't work him out and offer him a 1 year deal, but he got only $3.3 mm.

I think most teams are going to lack flexibility and salary cap space in 2018, as much or more so than 2017.

While I believe based on comparisons he is a $13 mm/year player which the Grizzlies currently can't afford, he may be a $9-10 mm.

I think right now the value on Tyreke is, at best, a late first rounder, but more likely a 2nd rounder.  

If the FO wants to tank the rest of this season, and bring back Mike, Marc, and Chandler with a high lottery pick, than they may believe that they can sign Tyreke, and he is worth it.

If he is only pulling 2nd round interest, I'd def let it ride out and try to re-sign him in the offseason.  If you trade him for a 2nd round pick that is about the same as letting him walk for no return.  You don't have a huge investment in him with time or money so gamble on a re-sign if the return is only a 2nd rounder.

27 minutes ago, Gradey said:

If he is only pulling 2nd round interest, I'd def let it ride out and try to re-sign him in the offseason.  If you trade him for a 2nd round pick that is about the same as letting him walk for no return.  You don't have a huge investment in him with time or money so gamble on a re-sign if the return is only a 2nd rounder.

The ability to resign is the same if we keep him or trade him. We don't gain any advantage in resigning him by keeping him. Take whatever assets you can get.

28 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

The ability to resign is the same if we keep him or trade him. We don't gain any advantage in resigning him by keeping him. Take whatever assets you can get.

I think a lot of people don't realize this. We won't have any rights after his contract expires, and neither will the team that we trade him to.

42 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I was about to say the same thing

46 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Well what about on a personal level.   meaning if they start recruiting him now while he is in a Grizz uniform.  Telling him that any team they trade him to only wants to use him as a 6th man but on our team you will be a starter.    Start showing him now that we are the team that figured out how to use him best.    Tyreke is still a human and this isn't NB2k  -  guys take it personally whenever they get traded for whatever reason.  CLee was ticked off when he got traded to Charlotte.  

Believe it or not keeping him here and showing him he has a future with this team is a pretty big advantage.    Shipping him off to get a 2nd round pick or failing rookie could be viewed as a slap in the face to him.   

I am not saying we should keep him but i just think it's short-sighted to think that dumping him to another team won't hurt his re-recruitment process.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well what about on a personal level.   meaning if they start recruiting him now while he is in a Grizz uniform.  Telling him that any team they trade him to only wants to use him as a 6th man but on our team you will be a starter.    Start showing him now that we are the team that figured out how to use him best.    Tyreke is still a human and this isn't NB2k  -  guys take it personally whenever they get traded for whatever reason.  CLee was ticked off when he got traded to Charlotte.  

Believe it or not keeping him here and showing him he has a future with this team is a pretty big advantage.    Shipping him off to get a 2nd round pick or failing rookie could be viewed as a slap in the face to him.   

I am not saying we should keep him but i just think it's short-sighted to think that dumping him to another team won't hurt his re-recruitment process.  

This...I agree with.

It is easier to get someone to stay in Memphis versus get someone to come to Memphis (or any place).

Unless Tyreke specifically says, "I want to play for a championship this year, but I want to come back to Memphis", the Grizzlies would be better off keeping him here versus a late 2nd round pick.

If they believe he is part of the future plans and will be able to afford him, don't trade him unless you get something significant in return, because that player won't be as good.  

However, if they know right now the agent wants $15 mm, and that Tyreke is for sure walking, then take whatever you can get.

3 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Do you think he is going to be more apt to resign with you if you keep him here or if you package him out?  IMO if an org showed me that kind of "love" I'd just sign with someone else who doesn't suck.  I didn't mean that by keeping him through the season you have some right to resign him but you have a better shot of keeping him by not throwing him out then come back with your hat in your hand later.  He is a human with connections to the city.  I"m sure he'd like to be shown some love over being tossed.

16 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

14 hours ago, Gradey said:

Do you think he is going to be more apt to resign with you if you keep him here or if you package him out?  IMO if an org showed me that kind of "love" I'd just sign with someone else who doesn't suck.  I didn't mean that by keeping him through the season you have some right to resign him but you have a better shot of keeping him by not throwing him out then come back with your hat in your hand later.  He is a human with connections to the city.  I"m sure he'd like to be shown some love over being tossed.

If you believe his brother when he talks on sports radio, Tyreke is going wherever the most money is. If you can gain assets by trading Tyreke, you trade him. You don't gamble that he is willing to take $4-5 million less a year to be here when his brother keeps saying they are trying to get paid.

1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

If you believe his brother when he talks on sports radio, Tyreke is going wherever the most money is. If you can gain assets by trading Tyreke, you trade him. You don't gamble that he is willing to take $4-5 million less a year to be here when his brother keeps saying they are trying to get paid.

I believe his brother, but nobody is suggesting Tyreke give the Grizzlies a discount.

I'm suggesting that his value still isn't going to be outrageous, and if his deal is going to be in the $9-11 mm range, or something that the Grizzlies can afford, if the Grizzlies can match or very nearly match another offer, maybe it is easier for Tyreke to stay vs go somewhere new.

And that's the question of the thread: What is Tyreke going to be worth? I don't know...

41 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

And that's the question of the thread: What is Tyreke going to be worth? I don't know...

I don't think anybody knows, it's anyone's guess. I think Tyreke isn't going to command a lot of money because most teams won't be interested in him at all, but you only need one team with a lot of cap space and no chance of grabbing a top FA to throw $10M at him and price us out.

The FO should be already talking to Tyreke's camp, trying to gauge what his plans are for next season. Both sides know we can't offer more than the MLE, so it should be in everyone's interest to be open about our chances to re-sign him. 

6 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

We could possibly get one of the Hernangomez brothers

I'm fine with that. Both have shown to be capable rotation level players. Both are young. 

5 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Mclemore now is on the block

I'm sure he is.

When Bickerstaff is saying in the Commercial Appeal the reason McLemore is DNP is because they want to try out the young guys (isnt McLemore young), but since he said that Simmons, Selden hardly playing and Chalmers getting big mins, that tells me one thing. 

He's gone