Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

What do you think Tyreke's value is?

if Tyrekes is traded i think will we happen at the trade dead line to a top team to add scoring to there bench 

6 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Of ocurse one of my other thoughts has been try combining all of our expiring contracts (Evans, Ennis, and Wright) and see if the Lakers will ship Jordan Clarkson for that group. I have read multiple reports that the Lakers may move Clarkson to clear cap space for this summer.

Yeah I like this idea too, Clarkson would be a great get.

I just can't see the Lakers taking our trash for him, even if all the trash is expiring.

And if they think they think they are in the hunt for the playoff they may not deal

The best offer we are likely to get from them is Luol Deng LOL

Reke should net a protected first round pick. Something like 2019, 2020 lottery protected, if not conveyed pick original owner sends his 2021 second rounder.

On GBB they discuss Tyreke's trade value, and there is a sentence I disagree with: "If Reke isn’t able to fetch a first, there’s a possibility they could punt on making any deal and risk losing Evans for nothing, a far worse outcome than receiving poor return."

I disagree that worse is better than a poor return.  I agree that a 2nd rounder is better than nothing, but getting another non-contributing bench player is worse than getting nothing if there are no draft picks involved.

I don't think a 2nd rounder is worth a non-contributor being attached to any trade.

I would rather get nothing than get a bad 2nd round draft pick and another bench player with a multi-year contract remaining.  Even if Tyreke is not traded, at least he's an expiring contract, and this free agency time isn't looking so good as it is.

I would look for an overlooked NBA prospect than a pick. Someone on a better team that may not be getting enough chances.

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I would look for an overlooked NBA prospect than a pick. Someone on a better team that may not be getting enough chances.

Julius Randle?

Different position I know, but fits yor criteria

11 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Julius Randle?

Different position I know, but fits yor criteria

I read they're shopping Larry Nance as well 

I don't see Tyreke fetching much at this point in time. No team in their right mind would give up a 1st round pick to rent someone for 35-40 games who could likely leave. Julius Randle is a good name. He rebounded at a high rate in his rookie season (well, de facto rookie season). I would start him over JaM right now but not sure if he makes the team any better. 

18 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I don't see Tyreke fetching much at this point in time. No team in their right mind would give up a 1st round pick to rent someone for 35-40 games who could likely leave. Julius Randle is a good name. He rebounded at a high rate in his rookie season (well, de facto rookie season). I would start him over JaM right now but not sure if he makes the team any better. 

Shane Battier?

31 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

No team in their right mind would give up a 1st round pick to rent someone for 35-40 games who could likely leave. 

So the question becomes which teams match BOTH of these criteria: 

- they need his help this season

- he would want to stay there next season because the situation would tick all his boxes 

3 minutes ago, TimBC said:

- he would want to stay there next season because the situation would tick all his boxes 

I brought up Shane Battier because at the time most recognized that it was a bad trade but were still ok with the deal. Teams that had been in playoff droughts that are now competitive are more likely to make a move like that. Teams sometimes feel they need to do something NOW and make bad trades knowing they are bad trades.

Also, there is the money side. Most teams don't want to be luxury tax repeat offenders because of the escalating fines. First round picks must be signed, and in the past teams have traded away late 1st round picks so they weren't forced to sign a player they may not play. Washington and Portland may both be takers, needing to make bigger playoff splashes and needing to shave salary.

I think there are several teams that would like to have Reke and could care less about him sticking around for next year.

2 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

I read they're shopping Larry Nance as well 

Yeah I read that too, I was a bit surprised because lately he has been getting more mins than Randle as the backup to Kuzma.

They must be really confident in snagging LBJ?

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

I brought up Shane Battier because at the time most recognized that it was a bad trade but were still ok with the deal. Teams that had been in playoff droughts that are now competitive are more likely to make a move like that. Teams sometimes feel they need to do something NOW and make bad trades knowing they are bad trades.

Also, there is the money side. Most teams don't want to be luxury tax repeat offenders because of the escalating fines. First round picks must be signed, and in the past teams have traded away late 1st round picks so they weren't forced to sign a player they may not play. Washington and Portland may both be takers, needing to make bigger playoff splashes and needing to shave salary.

I think there are several teams that would like to have Reke and could care less about him sticking around for next year.

Good points

On teams really wanting to make a splash or difference, maybe you could include Bucks, Raptors, even Houston, whose bench is not as good as last year.

On teams that dont care less about him sticking around, that would be either real contenders like Cavs or Houston, maybe OKC, or teams that want to free up salary like Lakers but they probably rather trade a non expiring contract for Reke

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Shane Battier?

Like I said, no team in their right mind. Interestingly enough, I was going to add one last sentence to that original post saying that the only team dumb enough to give up a 1st round pick like that would be the Memphis Grizzlies and we can't trade with ourselves :D

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

Maybe someone would tag a bad contract onto a 1st round pick but we don't need anymore bad contracts. i just see this as being really difficult because he is on such a cheap contract and he would only be with his new team about 35-40 games. I don't see us getting much back, maybe a young player who is still on a rookie contract but is not working out with their current team. I could see the Lakers giving up one of their PF but would Reke do anything for them? He may still very well be traded but I would be very interested in seeing what we get because giving up a guy basically avg 20-5-5 on a 1 year $3.5 mil contract and get good value back is going to be very hard. 

Boston does intrigue me because they may have enough picks where they may part with a first rounder and not be affected.

The Starters believe we could get a 1st round pick for Tyreke. "Wether the Grizzlies can do anything with the pick is the question." Lol

Fyi the Celtics, Cavs n Wiz cannot trade their own picks this year. It would have to be for a future pick. 1st round picks can't be traded back to back years. 

Edit- Raps too, traded this years pick to get out of Demarre Carolls contract

11 minutes ago, cdp said:

Fyi the Celtics, Cavs n Wiz cannot trade their own picks this year. It would have to be for a future pick. 1st round picks can't be traded back to back years. 

Did Houston trade a 1st pick last year to get LouWil?

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Like I said, no team in their right mind. Interestingly enough, I was going to add one last sentence to that original post saying that the only team dumb enough to give up a 1st round pick like that would be the Memphis Grizzlies and we can't trade with ourselves :D

Maybe someone would tag a bad contract onto a 1st round pick but we don't need anymore bad contracts. i just see this as being really difficult because he is on such a cheap contract and he would only be with his new team about 35-40 games. I don't see us getting much back, maybe a young player who is still on a rookie contract but is not working out with their current team. I could see the Lakers giving up one of their PF but would Reke do anything for them? He may still very well be traded but I would be very interested in seeing what we get because giving up a guy basically avg 20-5-5 on a 1 year $3.5 mil contract and get good value back is going to be very hard. 

Boston does intrigue me because they may have enough picks where they may part with a first rounder and not be affected.

So let me get this straight, we need to build our entire team around reke, but nobody in their right mind would give a throwaway first round pick for him, even though it happens literally every year.

I guess it makes sense since gasol is only worth a salary dump, and mike is untradeable due to his ginormous contract. 

I don't think the Lakers would trade Randle for Tyreke since the Lakers since Randle gives them more flexibility.

If they don't want his record on the books, just don't give him a QO since he is a RFA. And I'm not sure on this, but maybe they can have more flexibility with him and exceeding the salary cap since he is their own FA (unlike Tyreke)

And Larry Nance fits the bill more, but his contract is low that it just doesn't make much sense to get him off the books.  They can't get much cheaper.

Now, if the want to get Brandon Ingram off the books for years to come....that can open up some cash for down the line, but they better be sure that LeBron or others are coming, so that is not a trade deadline type of deal.

15 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Kind of, some other stuff involved, as it usually is, including Corey Brewer...

According to basketball-reference: Traded by the Los Angeles Lakers to the Houston Rockets for Corey Brewer and a 2017 1st round draft pick (Tony Bradleywas later selected).

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yup and the Wizards got Bogdanovic for their pick. Dunno if either team would make a play for Evans but he's definitely playin better than both Lou/Bog. I think we can get a late 1st for him it just might not be for this years draft.

Edit- I should note. Teams can't trade FUTURE back-to-back 1st rounders. So Houston traded their 2017 pick n once that draft happened only then were they free to move their 2018 pick in the Paul trade.

There are team out there that could do serious damage with Tyreke

His 1 year contract is a benefit to teams that don't want to tie up long term salary

He has value for teams looking to push into playoffs or top half teams that might need an edge in playoffs

To wit:

Knicks

Pistons

Bucks

Wizards

T-Wolves

Clippers

Raptors

Couldn't rule out Cavs trying to get him for a last push either. Or celtics if they have an injury.