chipc3

Zach Lowe ESPN article

Yeah we only went 6 vs the Spurs with Fizzball.  Fizzball last year was essentially grit grind with a stretch 4 and more 3s. It worked quite well actually.

55 minutes ago, guillermo said:

once we hired Fizz grit grind was out the door.

Fizdale ego is too big to ride coat tails of grit and grind.  he wanted his own identity fizzball 

Please, give me your definition of "grit n grind".

I really do wanna know.

9 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If you get good FAs you can, I would say that TA would have been included in that list when the Grizz got him and he turned into an All Pro defensive player.

Hard to get difference makers in free agency with no cap space

16 hours ago, Allen said:

I said this 2-3 years ago when it became apparent that that was what they were attempting to do. You cant rebuild around 2nd round picks  and mid level exception caliber FA pickups. Look at the result. It's Mike, Marc and  a bunch of fringe Nba players

I don't know if TA was a mid level exception or worse but he turned out to be quite an addition for Wallace.

5 hours ago, scooter said:

The writer of this was Geoff Calkiins ('nuff  said ). This also was dated Sept. 1917. Grizz will move by 2022, Book it!

Ok! Booked in official Grizz board capsule of bold predictions.!

Google "which teams could relocate to Seattle" also. That should help put even more pep in your step. 

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't know if TA was a mid level exception or worse but he turned out to be quite an addition for Wallace.

The Grizzlies weren’t trying to rebuild yet stay in the playoffs at the same time when they signed TA and even so we signed TA 8 years ago.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

The Grizzlies weren’t trying to rebuild yet stay in the playoffs at the same time when they signed TA and even so we signed TA 8 years ago.

The "three-year plan" wasn't a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Allen said:

It doesn't matter if it was a build or rebuild, the Grizzlies got a gem when they got him through FA. Since they've been in the playoffs 7 years straight, they wasn't in the POs the year before.

12 hours ago, Allen said:

Hard to get difference makers in free agency with no cap space

So you believe it is talent and not some mythical coaching philosophy that makes a team good or bad? 

I can agree with that. 

44 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

It doesn't matter if it was a build or rebuild, the Grizzlies got a gem when they got him through FA. Since they've been in the playoffs 7 years straight, they wasn't in the POs the year before.

Ok?

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

The "three-year plan" wasn't a rebuild?

Go back and reread my post. I said you can’t rebuild and compete at the same time. No team in NBA history has successfully pulled that off. Being a playoff team usually means late draft picks and no cap space. How do you rebuild like that?

You have to pick one or the other. Are you rebuilding or trying to win now? The Grizzlies have been stuck in the middle for a couple of years now ? The three year plan was basically taking one step back to take two steps forward. What we did the last couple years was taking  1 step forward and two steps back. Won’t  get to far like that.

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Go back and reread my post. I said you can’t rebuild and compete at the same time. No team in NBA history has successfully pulled that off. Being a playoff team usually means late draft picks and no cap space. How do you rebuild like that?

You have to pick one or the other. Are you rebuilding or trying to win now? The Grizzlies have been stuck in the middle for a couple of years now ? The three year plan was basically taking one step back to take two steps forward. What we did the last couple years was taking  1 step forward and two steps back. Won’t  get to far like that.

Well you aren't rebuilding if you can actually compete while you are changing players in and out. The Celtics definitely did do that in the 60s. Sam Jones and Bill Russell were the only 2 players that were there from the beginning to the end of that run for the Cs.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Well you aren't rebuilding if you can actually compete while you are changing players in and out. The Celtics definitely did do that in the 60s. Sam Jones and Bill Russell were the only 2 players that were there from the beginning to the end of that run for the Cs.

50 years ago? Really?  50 years ago?

21 hours ago, Memfizz said:

Yeah we only went 6 vs the Spurs with Fizzball.  Fizzball last year was essentially grit grind with a stretch 4 and more 3s. It worked quite well actually.

I don't really agree...take all the extra out of it and it was a 43 win team with a first round exit.  Sure, its a playoff team, but its a pipe dream team also.

1 hour ago, Gradey said:

I don't really agree...take all the extra out of it and it was a 43 win team with a first round exit.  Sure, its a playoff team, but its a pipe dream team also.

And if it wasnt for Conley's superhuman heroics it would have been 4 zip if we qualified at all.

The dude has a narrative, its all Gasol's fault no amount of logic and reason put foward is gonna change that.

But he ignores on of his supposed favourite players Zach Randolph had as much of a beef as Marc did, and is now flourishing away from this mess

On 12/14/2017 at 5:03 PM, Blackwatch said:

Very Informative article in terms of demonstrating how bad the team chemistry, system and structure are. One thing that was interesting was how Lowe points out that the Grizz are trying to play like the "new NBA", but just do not have the talent to be successful. Not enough shooters to unpack the lane, not enough skill to hit the shots they do get, not good enough or savvy enough on D to switch as much as they do. Even more telling is that JB points these things out to the players, yet they seem to not be able to do much about it.

But, the crazy thing is that the article sounds like me and a few other posters here all last year trying to lament the impending release of Z-Bo and TA in order to adjust to the New NBA. The problems we saw then are now rearing their ugly heads. Many on here thought I and others who agreed with me were just living in the past and too close minded to see where the NBA is today.  I know what the Dubs and Rockets do. I understand the analytics and new rules that support what they do. But I also understand who will come and play for the Grizz, and it ain't big time talents like Steff Curry and James Hardin. Its players who are good, but have to compete with heart, effort, and brains, not necessarily talent and skill. That means they have to play the game to their strengths, not to what the "New NBA" wants. The best way for Memphis to compete is to D up the Dubs, Rockets, Cavs, etc. and get buckets on the low post with skilled Big men, who are easier to come by than Unicorns like Stef Curry , James Hardin and LeBron James. Yes there are rule changes that favor Jump shooters and athletic wings slashing to the lane. But those shots are still lower percentage than A 7 ft. Center posting on the block. Just slow the pace, D up, and see who makes it out of the mud. Why institute a system that is best suited for unicorns when you have rhinos? And why did a simple fan like me and others see this, yet B-Ball "Pros" didn't see it?

Because it didn't take us very far. Yes, the GNG got us to the WCF, but only to get swept by the Spurs. We would always have to play Oklahoma City and San Antonio, and we couldn't beat them two because the Spurs spaced the floor and move the ball like crazy, shot the 3 and made it. In addition, their bench players brought into the system (Matt Bonner) for an example.

OKC, had two superstars, and a emerging center in Adams. They beat us on talent, simple as that. 

Golden State also took advantage of Conley's injury, but most importantly, they took advantage of Tony Allen. Playing 4 on 5 basketball when TA was on the floor, they dared Tony Allen to shoot the ball and make it. When you see them leaving Tony Allen wide open and not respecting his jump shot, that's when you know it's time to get rid of Allen, regardless of his defensive skills. Couldn't do due diligence in a league where you got to be good at, and that is to score.