Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

The grizzlies are on the verge of a championship: keep the faith

26 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board, and that includes all of KBM's posts. Just last summer they signed Mike Conley to what was the largest contract in NBA history at the time. But they can't afford to pay stars???? That is moronic. They may not attract stars because of the size of the city. They may not be able to keep a star if they ever get one. But to say they can't afford to pay them? That is stupid. If the Grizzlies had any of the players you listed they would offer a max contract immediately. They have done so with two guys who aren't even on those stars' level when they resigned Marc and then Mike. 

you know like every one else does. the grizzlies over paid for mike conley .how is that contract working out now, he been hurt for the past 2 years . memphis had to pay him that contract or he would have left the grizzlies. mike is a very good p.g, not great ,the biggest concern i had with mike is his SMALL fame size. if .mike wanted to win in memphis he should have taken little less money so the grizzlies can support him with a better cast of players .in a small market when a team over pays for player and something BAD happens there F--

marc is not playing D this year because.,1 he not a GREAT LEADER 2. he know the player around are n.b.a ROLE players 3. he will be like is brother pau he will ask for a trade .the Grizzlies paid three play SUPER STAR money and none of them are GREAT leader.

On 12/30/2017 at 6:26 AM, Allen said:

Fair weather fan. Grizz suck right now but their still my team. Where you around before the grit and grind era?

Dude, been around since the team first came to Memphis and was drafting dudes named Bostjon Nachbar, lol.

I wasn't on the board but I've been a fan the entire time. I hate seeing them lose.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:19 PM, lions said:

you know like every one else does. the grizzlies over paid for mike conley .how is that contract working out now, he been hurt for the past 2 years . memphis had to pay him that contract or he would have left the grizzlies. mike is a very good p.g, not great ,the biggest concern i had with mike is his SMALL fame size. if .mike wanted to win in memphis he should have taken little less money so the grizzlies can support him with a better cast of players .in a small market when a team over pays for player and something BAD happens there F--

That is not what you said, what I contested. You said they can't afford to pay stars. They have paid max contracts to lower level stars. So obviously they would pay real stars. Whether you like who they offered those contracts to is a different subject. The fact is they will pay top money. Now it is a matter of having the chance to pay some real stars.

You know, I think if they win that Nuggets game, I think they will make a run for the 8 spot (depending on the health of Conley and Parsons). 

They currently sit 7 games behind NOP, and 7.5 behind Denver, and as I've been saying for a while, those teams 6-9 are just not very good.

That's actually better than where they sat on January 1st.

If they beat the Nuggets, and win most/all the home games against Knicks, Kings Lakers coming up, they might be 5.5-6 games out.

Again, it depends on what the status is of Conley and Parsons, but if they know they can get those guys back soon, I think this team may hold on to Tyreke and push for #8.

I think these next 4 games are big for what the FO decides to do for the rest of the season, and for what they are willing to accept for Tyreke.

I'm not saying its going to happen.  I just think the team sees the playoffs as a possibility because of how disappointing the Nuggets, Pelicans, Jazz, Clippers, and even OKC have been.

21 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You know, I think if they win that Nuggets game, I think they will make a run for the 8 spot (depending on the health of Conley and Parsons). 

They currently sit 7 games behind NOP, and 7.5 behind Denver, and as I've been saying for a while, those teams 6-9 are just not very good.

That's actually better than where they sat on January 1st.

If they beat the Nuggets, and win most/all the home games against Knicks, Kings Lakers coming up, they might be 5.5-6 games out.

Again, it depends on what the status is of Conley and Parsons, but if they know they can get those guys back soon, I think this team may hold on to Tyreke and push for #8.

I think these next 4 games are big for what the FO decides to do for the rest of the season, and for what they are willing to accept for Tyreke.

I'm not saying its going to happen.  I just think the team sees the playoffs as a possibility because of how disappointing the Nuggets, Pelicans, Jazz, Clippers, and even OKC have been.

Worst possible scenario: the Grizzlies actually trying to make it to the 8th seed. First, it's highly unlikely we can play at the level necessary to even put us in contention. The Pelicans are currently the 8th seed. They are at .500. If they finish the season at .500, they will have 41 wins. To match those 41 wins, we have to go 28-14 the rest of the way. Or we have to be as good as the current 3 seed in the West. Based on the way this season has gone, does anyone really believe this team can play at that level? Secondly, you have to jump 5 teams. They may be bad, but jumping 5 teams is never easy.

The most likely scenario if the team goes for it is playing better but coming up short.  In order to do that, we would have to hold onto Tyreke, Brandan Wright, and James Ennis. So our one asset (the draft pick) would be worse, and we won't have added any additional assets. Then next year we are still stuck in salary cap hell. We will only have MLE to offer. Tyreke almost certainly leaves for more money. I can't imagine the team resigning Wright unless it's for the minimum due to his unavailability. Ennis could resign, but do we want him? Either way the 3 of them are some of the better rotation pieces we have. So we lose 2 or 3 of our better players (not saying much) and our only avenues to replace them are MLE, a worsened draft pick, 2nd round picks, and league minimum offers. Sounds an awful lot like next year will be worse than this.

We are in rebuild whether the team has accepted it or not. To fight that will only make things worse and take longer to come out of.

IMO,  Grizzlies will not make the playoffs.  Obviously their best chance of getting a high draft pick is to keep losing.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:15 PM, Memphisyank said:

I grew up in St. L- and one thing about the Cards... win or lose those stands are always full. I LONG for the days when Memphis is a true sports town.. We are getting there.

17 years in Memphis vs. how many for that storied/legendary franchise?