Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

The grizzlies are on the verge of a championship: keep the faith

It probably won't be this year. But next year I could see it happening. Here are the steps the grizzlies need to do.

1. Resign Tyreke. This is critical.
  2. Wave or get rid of Chalmers, Wright, Benmac. 
  3. Upgrade Ennis.
  4. Find a rebounder.
  5. Unleash Jamychal.
  6. Stay Healthy.
  7. Work on chemistry.
  8. Better game plans.
  9. Only let Tyreke play backup point.
  10. Keep Marc.

Here is the thing. The grizzlies have the makings of a great offense.

Put Brooks and Parsons on the left and right wings and Jam down low doing his Zbo impression, now Mike has options. There are no weaknesses that I can see on offense. The biggest problem is not playing enough together to develop it.

Jam, to me, is the key to our offense becoming explosive. The only real weakness in this lineup is Parson's lack of defense. If we upgrade ennis to an athletic 3 that can erase defensive mistakes it will most likely cost us in the pure shooting that Parsons brings. Brooks is a good, smart defender, and Jam is also very solid, but beyond that: Marc is only able to protect the paint and he is a great general out there, but that's it. Playing parsons at pf doesn't do Jam any favors, who I believe is a 15 to 17 point scorer in the league.

The grizzlies have a great 6th man in Tyreke, and I have hope that Deyonta Davis can develop sooner rather than later.

Probably the biggest need that this team has is a young athletic 3 that can defend like Tony Allen. They also have a lot of players that are confusing the direction this team should go: benmac is worthless and is only getting in the way of brooks, same goes for wright and dede davis. Ennis is not good enough to play the key role for defense.

If the grizzlies had time playing together, plus another year of Deyonta and Brooks developing, and a nice rebounder, this team could be a 60 win team.

There are a lot of reasons why they aren't that now, but to me, this team only lacks that one lockdown defender which they need to get in the draft this year with a midround pick.

My target for a championship, assuming we don't get the #1 pick, in which case it would possibly change to Deandre Ayton.

Mikal Bridges. He is the best fit on this team. So help me, if the grizzlies have a chance to draft this guy and they don't do it because of Benmac or Tyreke, I'll lose my mind.

The grizzlies need a lockdown perimeter player to go with this group and they will have everything.

50 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

My target for a championship, assuming we don't get the #1 pick, in which case it would possibly change to Deandre Ayton.

Mikal Bridges. He is the best fit on this team. So help me, if the grizzlies have a chance to draft this guy and they don't do it because of Benmac or Tyreke, I'll lose my mind.

The grizzlies need a lockdown perimeter player to go with this group and they will have everything.

Would be sweet if we get Bridges.

I see KBM has gotten his new supply of prozac. 

17 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Fans from other teams read these boards and threads like this embarrass everyone here.

Number 504! He’s going for the record books! Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to catch KBM if he is anything to say about it! (Literally)

23 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Fans from other teams read these boards and threads like this embarrass everyone here.

I grew up in St. L- and one thing about the Cards... win or lose those stands are always full. I LONG for the days when Memphis is a true sports town.. We are getting there.

5 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

I grew up in St. L- and one thing about the Cards... win or lose those stands are always full. I LONG for the days when Memphis is a true sports town.. We are getting there.

Yeah but most of the time in cities like that the fans there will keep it real about where their team is at.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah but most of the time in cities like that the fans there will keep it real about where their team is at.

no problem with folks keeping it real. I do have a problem with the empty seats. that's how teams get moved.

I like your optimism!

I agree, things aren't as bad as some people are claiming.  The team needs work, but we're not in a bad spot at all.

our chance to do this was a few years ago , instead we sold low and bought high with pretty much every asset. 

Yeah thats true. But the only way Memphis can avoid a long period of empty seats is to stay competitive. Asset management is the key to that long term which they havent done well.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

It probably won't be this year. But next year I could see it happening. Here are the steps the grizzlies need to do.

1. Resign Tyreke. This is critical.
  2. Wave or get rid of Chalmers, Wright, Benmac. 
  3. Upgrade Ennis.
  4. Find a rebounder.
  5. Unleash Jamychal.
  6. Stay Healthy.
  7. Work on chemistry.
  8. Better game plans.
  9. Only let Tyreke play backup point.
  10. Keep Marc.

I think you might be on to something if you replace #7 with "Acquire LeBron James."

For #2 - Chalmers and Wright are UFA.  Right now I feel the same way (Wright because of his health), but I want to see Mario in the 2nd half of the year just because he did miss a year.

51 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

no problem with folks keeping it real. I do have a problem with the empty seats. that's how teams get moved.

If the Grizz would swap Chalmers for D Rose that would put people in the seats.

54 minutes ago, Michael D said:

I like your optimism!

I agree, things aren't as bad as some people are claiming.  The team needs work, but we're not in a bad spot at all.

We're really not. If the grizzlies can get a high draft pick, while still keeping this team intact (Marc and Tyreke), this team has a chance to be really good. Right now, it is chemistry issues and lack of playing time, but we are maybe just 1 nice d wing away from dramatically improving. I really believe that.

LOL

We had a few chances before TA and Zbo slowed down too much to be effective, which we were unable to bring their egos down, role player them, and sign a what we envisioned Parsons to be.

That, and Dave ran everyone into the ground regular season, some bad luck with injuries or med staff.

We definitely had our window and didn't capitalize on a couple potential finals appearances.

No way this team is on the rise anymore...Mike is looking broken, Marc gives zero ****s, players are too undisciplined, any soul/heart players that bring the energy left. 

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You are entitled to your opinion. 

Dwash is also correct (this time, anyway ^_^). 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I see KBM has gotten his new supply of prozac. 

Maybe but its a lot more tolerable than someone spending 98% of over 2000 posts with a constant negative diatribe about Marc Gasol.

THAT is a drag and boring!

1 hour ago, Memfizz said:

LOL

We had a few chances before TA and Zbo slowed down too much to be effective, which we were unable to bring their egos down, role player them, and sign a what we envisioned Parsons to be.

That, and Dave ran everyone into the ground regular season, some bad luck with injuries or med staff.

We definitely had our window and didn't capitalize on a couple potential finals appearances.

No way this team is on the rise anymore...Mike is looking broken, Marc gives zero ****s, players are too undisciplined, any soul/heart players that bring the energy left. 

FWIW the Grizzlies only reached the Western Conference Finals one time.

5 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Mercy. You change your opinion on this team more often than I change underwear.

I would hope you change your underwear far more, otherwise you probably need a bleach bath. Better bleach those rank underwear while you're at it, or better yet throw them nasty things away and get some new ones.

1 minute ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would hope you change your underwear far more, otherwise you probably need a bleach bath. Better bleach those rank underwear while you're at it, or better yet throw them nasty things away and get some new ones.

lol. Nah you change your mind pretty much post to post so I think I'm good. ;)