Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Why is it that I like so many players on the team, yet the team is playing terrible this year? Am I stupid?

When I look at the team and the players: I like Jmyke. I like Gasol. I like Reke. I like Brooks. I like Parsons. I obviously love Mike. I like Jarrell, Harrison and ennis for what they are.

I understand Mike and Parsons have been limited, I am actually excited by our players. I bet that Jam could actually get a ton in return if the grizzlies wanted to trade him, which I hope they don't. The bad thing about Parsons is that he is probably better as a role player (super sub) off the bench.

Hey, we liked DeMarre Carroll, and Sam Young looked great. Josh Selby was a can't-miss. And hey, what a great glue guy that Brian Cardinal was!

Look at the Thunder figuring out what to do with all their talent. 

A Texan might say, "it ain't who ya got, it's who-all ya got." 

52 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

too easy.

:lol::lol::lol:

There is a difference between individual talent and team talent. The Grizzlies have been shuffling people in left and right, turning over a huge portion of the lineup in the last 24 months and dealing with injuries. Is anyone surprised the team has no chemistry (outside of GTF who doesn't seem to think chemistry takes time to develop of course ;)).  

Most people looked at the team as individuals and never factored in how they would play together and what effect that would have on the overall team. It started nice but once teams adjusted to the Grizzlies new reality the old issues came back with gusto and the team started to struggle. Then the injuries happened and we know what happened after that. 

Like many you probably havent seriously analyzed the rest of the league and where the Grizzlies stand talent wise in comparison. 

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

There is a difference between individual talent and team talent. The Grizzlies have been shuffling people in left and right, turning over a huge portion of the lineup in the last 24 months and dealing with injuries. Is anyone surprised the team has no chemistry (outside of GTF who doesn't seem to think chemistry takes time to develop of course ;)).  

Most people looked at the team as individuals and never factored in how they would play together and what effect that would have on the overall team. It started nice but once teams adjusted to the Grizzlies new reality the old issues came back with gusto and the team started to struggle. Then the injuries happened and we know what happened after that. 

I don't know if teams adjusted or the chemistry they had going was messed up. Too many players kept shooting when they weren't hitting. You're not going to win very many times when the players that are doing the most shooting ain't getting it in the hole.

I like the individual players too.  They have talent.  The issue to me is we lost team cohesiveness ... these players simply need to learn to play together.  It takes time.

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

When I look at the team and the players: I like Jmyke. I like Gasol. I like Reke. I like Brooks. I like Parsons. I obviously love Mike. I like Jarrell, Harrison and ennis for what they are.

I understand Mike and Parsons have been limited, I am actually excited by our players. I bet that Jam could actually get a ton in return if the grizzlies wanted to trade him, which I hope they don't. The bad thing about Parsons is that he is probably better as a role player (super sub) off the bench.

Never ask a rhetorical question where you might not like the answer....

The issue (problem) is three fold:

1. What DWash said ^^^

2. Gambling on too many players with a history of injuries and expecting them all to be healthy.

We should have learnt our lesson with Wright. To commit 23% of the cap on a player knowing he is due for surgery, or not performing due diligence to determine if injury rumours are true is just criminal stupidity.

3. Despite Chip's axiom, I believe coaching does make a difference, particulary in close games down the wire.

For me, Martin, Ennis, Davis, Hunter, McLemore fit in #1, with Harrison just outside of it

Parsons, Wright, Selden in #2. With Reke a low risk/high reward (so far). A critical appraisal would add Mike in this category as well.

There's just too many variables here to be suprised when it goes bad 

The swapping 'B' players in and out all the time has just grown stale.  I like a lot of the players too, but how many times have we done this? Sometimes new faces every year wears on you.  As well as always being injured (is it the staff? Is it something in the water?)

For me, it starts with Gasol. He doesn't buy in, we don't do well. It is a mental strain on everybody else having your "franchise player" not an there.  And Marc never buys in fully unless it's his idea, right now it may be as low as ever.  Conley not there to pick it up is rough.

I like the fact Tyreke Evans is re-emerging a bit.. Always liked Martin, Harrison.  

29 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

The swapping 'B' players in and out all the time has just grown stale.  I like a lot of the players too, but how many times have we done this? Sometimes new faces every year wears on you.  As well as always being injured (is it the staff? Is it something in the water?)

For me, it starts with Gasol. He doesn't buy in, we don't do well. It is a mental strain on everybody else having your "franchise player" not an there.  And Marc never buys in fully unless it's his idea, right now it may be as low as ever.  Conley not there to pick it up is rough.

I like the fact Tyreke Evans is re-emerging a bit.. Always liked Martin, Harrison.  

If we could have gotten Durant. 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:49 PM, Dwash said:

Like many you probably havent seriously analyzed the rest of the league and where the Grizzlies stand talent wise in comparison. 

#Fact

I feel that the reason we are playing so badly is because aside from Marc Gasol, Mike, Reke  and part time Parsons No one can create offense off the dribble.

On 12/5/2017 at 2:49 PM, Dwash said:

Agreed, but it doesn't explain the repeated losses to bad teams or the ability to regularly beat good teams.

Here is how the Grizzlies have done versus current non-playoff teams

2 losses to Mavs (1-2 overall) 

0-1 versus Brooklyn, Charlotte, Lakers, Knicks, Magic

1-0 versus the Clippers

Overall so far this year: 2-7 versus non-playoff. (which means 6-9 versus playoff teams).

Last year the only non-playoff teams the Grizzlies swept were Denver and Philly. Likewise, the only team they got swept by was Boston. 3 total sweeps. 

Compare that to the #6 seed (OKC), #8 seed (Portland), or #7 EC seed Pacers. These are the teams that compare closest to Grizzlies who were WC #7 seed.

OKC & Portland and Indiana had 8 sweeps (either way), so they either were swept by better teams, or didn't lose to lesser teams.

How or why does that happen? 

For the record, Joerger's last year the Grizzlies were involved in 11 sweeps (5 bad, 6 good).

14 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

low hanging fruit !  must resist 

🤣

Cheap shots at KBM. He's a good Grizzly fan.