bobblybook1

is the worth it to tank

Now could be a good time to rebuild, if done right. If you could get a lottery pick for Marc and a 1st for some combination of Conley and Tyreke to go along with the lottery pick we’ll already have that’s the type of accelerated rebuild that won’t kill fan interest. Then you’d just have to find ways to cut on salaries and we’d be in prime position for the future. But, that’ll never happen. 

30 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Now could be a good time to rebuild, if done right. If you could get a lottery pick for Marc and a 1st for some combination of Conley and Tyreke to go along with the lottery pick we’ll already have that’s the type of accelerated rebuild that won’t kill fan interest. Then you’d just have to find ways to cut on salaries and we’d be in prime position for the future. But, that’ll never happen. 

As GTF recently pointed out in a different thread, the team already is rebuilding. The oldest player on the team is Marc Gasol. Conley, Parsons and Wright are the other veterans. Everyone else is young on the team.

If the Grizzlies fail to reach the playoffs, and it isn't guaranteed they will, then you add an additional lottery pick to an already young team with more talent that would be great. The question isn't should the team rebuild? The question is do you trust the man on top to make the correct decisions with the rebuild? 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

As GTF recently pointed out in a different thread, the team already is rebuilding. The oldest player on the team is Marc Gasol. Conley, Parsons and Wright are the other veterans. Everyone else is young on the team.

If the Grizzlies fail to reach the playoffs, and it isn't guaranteed they will, then you add an additional lottery pick to an already young team with more talent that would be great. The question isn't should the team rebuild? The question is do you trust the man on top to make the correct decisions with the rebuild? 

+100 That's the million dollar question. 

56 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

+100 That's the million dollar question. 

Oh scratch. We are agreeing again. :(

I don't think the value for Marc is what people on here believe it is, especially with DeAndre Jordan and the Clippers in the same boat.

Part of the problem is that there are, at best, 5 teams that can win a championship: Warriors, Cavs, Rockets, Spurs, and maybe Celtics. This is the pool of teams to trade with, and 3 of those teams don't have 1st round picks that really help.

For all the rest of the playoff caliber teams, who does Marc Gasol make a championship level contender? Even then, if you can do a trade with them, you are in that range of draft picks (15-26) where Wallace hasn't had much success and not many franchise changers exist. 

And for the rest of the teams, what is their incentive? Give up a potential lottery pick and valuable cap space to win 5-9 more games next year?  

And for any other team, especially one still building: Does Gasol fit the style of play our future team wants to play?  Anyone on here who has ripped Gasol's play needs to think about that when appraising his value for a young team.

I think it would be better for the team to pull a Spurs, have him get injured, and hope to get Tim Duncan.

3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think the value for Marc is what people on here believe it is, especially with DeAndre Jordan and the Clippers in the same boat.

Part of the problem is that there are, at best, 5 teams that can win a championship: Warriors, Cavs, Rockets, Spurs, and maybe Celtics. This is the pool of teams to trade with, and 3 of those teams don't have 1st round picks that really help.

For all the rest of the playoff caliber teams, who does Marc Gasol make a championship level contender? Even then, if you can do a trade with them, you are in that range of draft picks (15-26) where Wallace hasn't had much success and not many franchise changers exist. 

And for the rest of the teams, what is their incentive? Give up a potential lottery pick and valuable cap space to win 5-9 more games next year?  

And for any other team, especially one still building: Does Gasol fit the style of play our future team wants to play?  Anyone on here who has ripped Gasol's play needs to think about that when appraising his value for a young team.

I think it would be better for the team to pull a Spurs, have him get injured, and hope to get Tim Duncan.

I agree the list is small. I thought a three way with Gasol-Love was possible. Cause Love may have more value to a non title team with young assets. But I doubt that Lebron wants Gasol now after the Fizdale fiasco.

25 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The key question is does anyone know what thestyle of play is the future team wants to play?

Understand I am not asking what the fans want or even the media. We already know Fizdale wanted to play uptempo but he was fired. So what does the Front Office want? Does anyone know the answer to THAT question because without that knowledge it is hard to see which direction the team needs to go. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

The key question is does anyone know what thestyle of play is the future team wants to play?

Understand I am not asking what the fans want or even the media. We already know Fizdale wanted to play uptempo but he was fired. So what does the Front Office want? Does anyone know the answer to THAT question because without that knowledge it is hard to see which direction the team needs to go. 

I should have made that clearer, that was the question to be asked by any other team, especially a team that is still building.

8 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I should have made that clearer, that was the question to be asked by any other team, especially a team that is still building.

I would suggest that most team's fans know the answer because the coaching staff and front office are on the same page and educate their fans on what they are trying to accomplish together. The reality is no one on this board or really following the team at all knows what the objective is for the team this season or moving forward. That is a major problem when the Front Office can't state what their vision is for the team. 

At this point, how would anyone tell whether or not we are tanking? 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

Your team is not tanking. They are just bad

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

Tanking is usually done by the front office. Putting the worst possible team out there.

This FO wants to win and is even firing coaches. The best they can put out there is on the court injuries aside.

Consider two teams. One is tanking, one isn't, but both have lost 11 of 12. 

Does their intent matter when both are zooming into the lottery?

I admit that when Conley returns a modest difference will occur, and you will then be able to tell. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, lsugrizzfan said:

Having a horrible year this year could bring us a potential star. There are plenty of guys showing that potential right now. Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley, Luka Doncic, Michael Porter, Kevin Knox, Collin Sexton. Absolutely loaded draft. I'd trade either Mike or Marc or both to get an extra lottery pick. Unfortunately the teams that would have interest in Mike and Marc are teams looking to compete now and probably wouldn't have a lottery pick to give. The exception is Cleveland and possibly Boston. Boston couldn't make salaries match without giving up Horford, Kyrie, or Heyward. Plus Danny Ainge is so much better than Chris Wallace at his job, I feel like we would end up sending them a pick or three just to do any swap. Cleveland has the Brooklyn pick but they are preparing for life after Lebron. I don't see how Mike or Marc helps in those preparations more so than the pick.

Lebron could potentially stay. I'm not a big Marc guy, but I think he would be a perfect complimentary piece with Lebron and that supporting cast.

I'm gonna be mad as hell if they still end up trading Marc by the deadline if the team doesn't improve drastically, after firing Fizdale.

19 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I'm gonna be mad as hell if they still end up trading Marc by the deadline if the team doesn't improve drastically, after firing Fizdale.

In retrospect for whatever reason Fizz's teams lacked attention to detail and discipline. 

Fizz himself seems a little immature combined with a big ego.  I'm OK with moving on. 

I like JB better as a coach - as far as how he carries himself.

20 minutes ago, bobblybook1 said:

Getting closer to Bagley or Doncic fellas

Trade Marc to Cleveland and we're closer to both!

1 hour ago, bobblybook1 said:

Getting closer to Bagley or Doncic fellas

Things are looking promising.  Grizzlies are now are closing in on Dallas on having the worst record in the W.C. And there only 2 teams in the E.C. that have worse records than the Grizz.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, chipc3 said:

Other than the vets, not sure any are rotation players on contending teams. Brooks maybe. Rabb maybe. 

Roster needs to be nuked.

Trade Marc now, his value is already down, but I believe we can get a Greg Monroe + 1st round pick for Suns.

Get Parsons out your capsalary, at least part of his salary. Draft a wing and a center with the top picks we have.

MC/Harrison/Simmons

Mclemore/Selden 

Pick/Brooks

Jam/Martin/Rabb

Pick/Davis

Sign some veterans that will fit around these guys, if we could retain Tyreke in special and Monroe would be great. Maybe a Jeff Green for the right price.