bobblybook1

is the worth it to tank

I feel we need to rebuild , for a small market like memphis we need high draft picks with cap space

Just now, Dwash said:

Jesus Christ, YES!!

Lol. Looks like we will be tanking regardless. Whether they want to or not. 

11 minutes ago, tjazz22 said:

Lol. Looks like we will be tanking regardless. Whether they want to or not. 

Yes, how can we tank anymore? Is Marc or Mike landing us a top draft pick? Maybe a pick in the twenties which are a crapshoot, but I'd hate to give up the only assets we have for peanuts. 

36 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, how can we tank anymore? Is Marc or Mike landing us a top draft pick? Maybe a pick in the twenties which are a crapshoot, but I'd hate to give up the only assets we have for peanuts. 

The worse you get the less Gasol is worth. Thats always been the issue with waiting.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The worse you get the less Gasol is worth. Thats always been the issue with waiting.

Yes, his value is at its lowest which is why I don't see the point now.

I believe you and others preferred to sell high while the writing was on the wall however long ago, which has always been a viable plan. I also understood the business side of breaking up a team that was relatively competitive selling tickets and reaching the playoffs. Since I had no control over the situation, I just accepted the reality and enjoyed the ride. 

I guess if I was running the team, I would've chose the latter option because I believe I would've put an emphasis on a succession plan to avoid being in the current situation. Easier said than done, I know.

My long shot hope...we land a star from this year's draft and they walk into a system of solid role players and we're competing again. 

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, his value is at its lowest which is why I don't see the point now.

I believe you and others preferred to sell high while the writing was on the wall however long ago, which has always been a viable plan. I also understood the business side of breaking up a team that was relatively competitive selling tickets and reaching the playoffs. Since I had no control over the situation, I just accepted the reality and enjoyed the ride. 

I guess if I was running the team, I would've chose the latter option because I believe I would've put an emphasis on a succession plan to avoid being in the current situation. Easier said than done, I know.

All true. I think 2015 was the year for us to make the move. Phil was in New York with the 4th pick, Tim Hardaway Jr. 

I forget if it was Noah or Lopez was there to make up the money difference. And people here knew we couldn't get free agents and was giving away picks like Halloween. THAT was the move to make IMO

I'm so sad that I was right a few years ago. It was so obvious that this team had reached its ceiling. The players still had value. Now they are older and lessened by age and injuries. They are still good enough to be traded but the return really isn't worth it. That is why I preached getting ahead of it.

Yes because it's not a draft where one guy is clearly ahead of the rest like a Ben Simmons.

There are 4-5 guys with star power at the top and there's some strong talent after that too.

If we are going to suck with  Marc we might as well trade him for an extra pick. What is the point of keeping him if we are a lottery team with him anyway? Nobody is going to go to the forum just to watch Marc play on a lottery team

We aren't winning the title this year or even going to get a playoff spot. DO IT. Get us a draft pick!

18 hours ago, Allen said:

If we are going to suck with  Marc we might as well trade him for an extra pick. What is the point of keeping him if we are a lottery team with him anyway? Nobody is going to go to the forum just to watch Marc play on a lottery team

According to Grizz Media types the logic in keeping Marc during a tank is so that next year we can jump back to be competitive again more quickly with the new lottery pick.    basically have a ready made competitive team.   

Also we aren't going to get much value for him anyway.  

My only issue is that Marc isn't pliable enough to do that.   Meaning that he wants to play a certain way (as we have heard ad nauseum his entire career).  That way he wants to play isn't always good for young players.   I would be concerned that his resistance to changing playstyle will be a problem again. 

Not many rookies are going to come in and be sensational their first year pushing us back to being competitive just because of Mike and Marc being around. Better to just see what you can get for Marc while he has value and accelerate the curve. Also, we still owe picks once again to the incompetence of the idiot so we don't have a lot to play with. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

According to Grizz Media types the logic in keeping Marc during a tank is so that next year we can jump back to be competitive again more quickly with the new lottery pick.    basically have a ready made competitive team.   

Also we aren't going to get much value for him anyway.  

My only issue is that Marc isn't pliable enough to do that.   Meaning that he wants to play a certain way (as we have heard ad nauseum his entire career).  That way he wants to play isn't always good for young players.   I would be concerned that his resistance to changing playstyle will be a problem again. 

Marc would just stunt a young players development. 

19 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Trade Marc for Nets pick and we'll have 2 big time young players to build around.

After all these years of Chris Wallace trades, do you really think he’ll be able to pull that off?

14 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

After all these years of Chris Wallace trades, do you really think he’ll be able to pull that off?

Sure. 2 second rounders, one that is conditional and only transfers if it's 55-60.

Also we have to take back a bad contract

47 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Of course not. See Thabeet. 

Having a horrible year this year could bring us a potential star. There are plenty of guys showing that potential right now. Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley, Luka Doncic, Michael Porter, Kevin Knox, Collin Sexton. Absolutely loaded draft. I'd trade either Mike or Marc or both to get an extra lottery pick. Unfortunately the teams that would have interest in Mike and Marc are teams looking to compete now and probably wouldn't have a lottery pick to give. The exception is Cleveland and possibly Boston. Boston couldn't make salaries match without giving up Horford, Kyrie, or Heyward. Plus Danny Ainge is so much better than Chris Wallace at his job, I feel like we would end up sending them a pick or three just to do any swap. Cleveland has the Brooklyn pick but they are preparing for life after Lebron. I don't see how Mike or Marc helps in those preparations more so than the pick.