New_Sacred_Cow

David Fizdale Fired.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I think so when it is the only confirming source. Sometimes unnamed sources are used because having their name released could cost someone their job or hurt the team. It isn’t cool where the reporters can’t find a corroborating source however. 

This is a different issue from what we were discussing however. Vescey has a credibility issue where his sources are not as connected as he implied and their information turns out false. 

And somtimes a writer uses "an unamed source" not because of confidentiality but because there is no source and the writer wishes either to shake the tree and see what falls out, or has an agenda to create an issue when there isnt one aka wag the dog

On 11/27/2017 at 4:19 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bickerstaff has more coaching experience than Fiz doesn't he?   I do not like it because it signals that they actually believe they have a roster that can compete.   Wallace will be in super desperation mode to prove that firing Fizz was the right move that he will go all in on pushing for playoff spot.   

Be ready to see Rabb and Brooks traded to pick up Joe Johnson from Utah. 

This is GTF saying "I do not like it because it signals that they actually believe they have a roster that can compete. Wallace will be in super desperation mode to prove that firing Fizz was the right move that he will go all in on pushing for a playoff spot."

This sounds like someone wanting the team to tank instead of trying to reach the playoffs doesn't it?  

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

This is GTF saying "I do not like it because it signals that they actually believe they have a roster that can compete. Wallace will be in super desperation mode to prove that firing Fizz was the right move that he will go all in on pushing for a playoff spot."

This sounds like someone wanting the team to tank instead of trying to reach the playoffs doesn't it?  

Yep sounds exactly like someone afraid that a terrible GM is going to try to salvage a season by making terrible GM moves.  

I don't see how the guy posting in every thread that Chris Wallace is an idiot GM doesn't understand my logic?

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep sounds exactly like someone afraid that a terrible GM is going to try to salvage a season by making terrible GM moves.  

I don't see how the guy posting in every thread that Chris Wallace is an idiot GM doesn't understand my logic?

I don't believe Wallace is an idiot. I believe Wallace is a bad GM. I have mentioned this many times. It's the Peter Principle. 

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by educator Laurence J. Peter and published in 1969. It states that the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence".

Chris Wallace was an excellent #2 man. He failed in Boston as the top dog and he is failing now in Memphis as the top dog. That doesn't mean he is an idiot. He just isn't a good leader. He is a solid second in command type of guy.

I want a GM who has a vision for the team's future, is respected around the league so he can get fair trades accomplished an encourage free agents to sign here and won't mess up draft picks either by trading them or picking the wrong players. I want the team's basketball operations run by someone strong enough to tell the owner when he is wrong and support the coach when his players are acting childish. I want a GM who takes responsibility for his actions even when fans don't understand the moves because he has a vision of where the team is going. 

Does this sound irrational? Does Chris Wallace fit that description in any way?  

52 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't believe Wallace is an idiot. I believe Wallace is a bad GM. I have mentioned this many times. It's the Peter Principle. 

Chris Wallace was an excellent #2 man. He failed in Boston as the top dog and he is failing now in Memphis as the top dog. That doesn't mean he is an idiot. He just isn't a good leader. He is a solid second in command type of guy.

I want a GM who has a vision for the team's future, is respected around the league so he can get fair trades accomplished an encourage free agents to sign here and won't mess up draft picks either by trading them or picking the wrong players. I want the team's basketball operations run by someone strong enough to tell the owner when he is wrong and support the coach when his players are acting childish. I want a GM who takes responsibility for his actions even when fans don't understand the moves because he has a vision of where the team is going. 

Wow, this organization is stacked with #2 guys. From the players on the court, to the assistants that fail as coaches and now the GM.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:26 AM, chipc3 said:

Heck no! CW doesn't really stand for anything. If he did he would have offered up his job instead of drafting Hasheem Thabeet, if Thabeet was who Heisley wanted, as they say. He helped the Grizzlies get to the playoffs and win, which he will be remembered for, but he also has a reputation as a yes man who will do anything to keep his job.

That's not the type of person you want running a sports franchise.

Thabeet falls on Wallace because it happened on his watch.  Thabeet was drafted a whole two years after Conley, so if Wallace gets credit for Conley he also takes the blame for Thabeet.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Im starting to think that maybe Fizdale wasnt the problem. Hmmmm.

I said that from the get go. He got all time scapegoated. Best player hurt. Second best player bitching, moaning, finger pointing, blame deflecting, etc. Difficult to win games like that no matter who the coach is. If Mike never goes down, Fizdale is still the coach right now.

1 minute ago, Michael D said:

Thabeet falls on Wallace because it happened on his watch.  Thabeet was drafted a whole two years after Conley, so if Wallace gets credit for Conley he also takes the blame for Thabeet.

In fairness, I always felt Conley was an Iavaroni pick, and Thabeet was a Heisley pick. Doesn't excuse all of the other bad decisions he's made, but it is what it is. I think Wallace would have taken Tyreke over Thabeet. Also if I remember correctly, Hollins wanted Steph.

Regardless, the 2009 draft is the big black cloud over this franchise right now. Chose Thabeet over Harden and Steph. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Im starting to think that maybe Fizdale wasnt the problem. Hmmmm.

He never was the problem. Nor was Joerger or Hollins for that matter.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:19 AM, Dwash said:

Wow, this organization is stacked with #2 guys. From the players on the court, to the assistants that fail as coaches and now the GM.

Does this mean Pera might be better as a minority owner instead of majority?

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Does this mean Pera might be better as a minority owner instead of majority?

I dont know but I hate when most owners are involved at all in any real decisions that we can see. It lands you Hasheem Thabeet.

48 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I said that from the get go. He got all time scapegoated. Best player hurt. Second best player bitching, moaning, finger pointing, blame deflecting, etc. Difficult to win games like that no matter who the coach is. If Mike never goes down, Fizdale is still the coach right now.

Marc was never as bad as you described here until this year. Also Marc was a significant part of our playoff streak including WCF. But we just forget all that?

Something has changed and the 2 causes IMO are:

1. Parsons

Everything about this guy and what he has done since arriving in town has killed this team and franchise. Why couldnt we take Cuban's hint?

2. Maybe Fizdale was not such a great coach. Even with Mike, and Zbo an Tony in the team we have been pretty average since Fizdale took over.

On 12/5/2017 at 1:26 PM, Michael D said:

Why pay Parsons so much and not set up plays for him?  Everybody knows he's a lights out shooter. Freaking Mario Chalmers is shooting 3 3-point attempts a game and Andrew Harrison is shooting over 2 attempts.  Come on, not enough was being done with the schemes and play calling.  JB better start using Parsons once he's available.

^ this

21 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Marc was never as bad as you described here until this year. Also Marc was a significant part of our playoff streak including WCF. But we just forget all that?

Something has changed and the 2 causes IMO are:

1. Parsons

Everything about this guy and what he has done since arriving in town has killed this team and franchise. Why couldnt we take Cuban's hint?

2. Maybe Fizdale was not such a great coach. Even with Mike, and Zbo an Tony in the team we have been pretty average since Fizdale took over.

I don't disagree with much of this. Marc definitely hasn't been as bad as this year in years past, but it's difficult to ignore how polarizing he has been. The difference in years past is that he had Conley/TA/Zbo to keep him in check. Now, everyone knows that Marc is the best healthy player on the team, and he has shown that he isn't capable of flourishing in that role.

Parsons has definitely hurt us big time. I wasn't crazy about the signing at the time, but understood what the franchise was trying to do. Maybe they should have took a deeper look into his injury history.

The point about Fiz is the biggest point of contention for me. Fiz was brought here to change the style of play. Migrate away from grit and grind to more of an uptempo offense that fits in today's NBA. I think the mistake many make is blaming Fizdale for what he tried to do. Not directing this toward you, but many have killed Fizdale for changing the style of the team. Well, we knew exactly what we were going to get when we signed him. We knew what he was going to try to do. If the franchise wasn't comfortable going that direction, they should have never hired him.

So the first year, he has a team of misfits, as it relates to the style he wanted to implement. So the team evaluates things this past offseason and decides to dive head first in buying into Fiz and what he was trying to do. Didn't retain TA/Carter/Zbo. And in turn, replaced those guys with either inferior talent, or young inexperienced talent. So it's no wonder why, when Conley went down, and Gasol started pouting because God forbid Fizdale try to get the point across that you are the star of the team and you need to be a more aggressive scorer, it's no wonder that the team wasn't performing. Veteran guys like Zbo/TA would have smacked Gasol into shape. But we don't have any veteran guys like that to check Gasol especially with Conley on the shelf. So you're left with a circus.

I'll admit that the team is playing more unified right now, almost only because Gasol got his way with the organization canning the head coach he couldn't stand.

Bottom line for me: The team could have won a couple of games during that 8 game losing streak if Gasol wouldn't have had a mal-content attitude. Any time a head coach is fired and there is an interim guy, usually you see a more unified approach, at least for a few games. But the results have hardly been different. This team lacks talent. Lacked it with Fiz, lacks it now. Fiz was not the problem. This roster is the problem. And Gasol's "leadership" is the problem.

gf. simply think back to the fiz era in this context:

did the man ever get settled into any semblance of a rotation? do you think that might have had a negative impact on the team, as well on development? how would the team ever have been able to develop chemistry from his on again, off again yo-yo rotations?

in addition, the man truly had something against set plays. isos and free-flowing offense is fine when you have the absolute best on the planet in the lineup along with all star friends. 

again, this all goes back to the cook in the kitchen. sad, but true. 

go griz. 

slim.