New_Sacred_Cow

David Fizdale Fired.

If Fizdale lost the locker room as they say then he HAD to be fired, no other option.

Too bad Wallace gets to keep his job.  He inspires little confidence in me.  He did a good job picking up Tyreke and Dillon Brooks, if those were even his choices.

Here's something to chew on, and for those ready to believe everything written in the media, then seriously consider this:

Peter Vecsey: “The first thing you learn when you become an NBA coach is to come to an understanding with the team’s elite players,” the above retired lifer stated, “The second is not to pit players against each other. They will take sides, but inevitably will side against the coach. “Fizdale would say stuff about Gasol behind his back to his teammates. By the time, he was ready to say what he had to say in front of the whole team, Gasol already had been alerted.”

If this is true, the pendulum swings back to centre IMO

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Here's something to chew on, and for those ready to believe everything written in the media, then seriously consider this:

Peter Vecsey: “The first thing you learn when you become an NBA coach is to come to an understanding with the team’s elite players,” the above retired lifer stated, “The second is not to pit players against each other. They will take sides, but inevitably will side against the coach. “Fizdale would say stuff about Gasol behind his back to his teammates. By the time, he was ready to say what he had to say in front of the whole team, Gasol already had been alerted.”

Truth comes out. 

On 12/1/2017 at 8:48 AM, cdp said:

Thought this was an interestin article, looks like Fizz was the "coach killa" of himself;

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248199/Issues-Between-David-Fizdale-Grizzlies-Extended-Beyond-Current-Season

One of my pet peeves is the ever popular "person familiar with/ close to the situation."

Have the balls to attach your name to it or shut up.  Otherwise you're just a gossip.

Having said that, I liked Fizzdale because I thought he would be a good motivator and developer of talent.  I could tell he wasn't a great x's and o's guy, but that's what assistants are for.  

If you could blend Fizzdale, Hollins and Joerger; you would have one he'll of a coach.  Or just give me a young Hubie Brown. 

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Oh i never doubted that Fiz was not totally innocent.  This still doesn't put me back as a Gasol fan.   

During GNG era fans prided themselves on CORE4 team mantra of always going hard and playing with maximum effort.  Reality is that was more propaganda than truth and when it came to giving much less than 100% effort- Marc was the biggest offender. 

Hollins had to dog cuss him to play to his potential, Joerger loss his mind trying to keep him engaged and Fizz apparently handled it the worse.  No coach had to "motivate" Mike to play hard.  Tony and Zbo took pride in going at guys.   Gasol is prone to check out if he doesn't like coach strategy or held team hostage by whatever mood he is in.  Because he supposedly has such a high BBIQ; people always gave him a pass.   

Gasol is fine as long as he has someone to defer too and can be 3rd option on offense.   Gasol whines and gives subpar effort when things don't go his way and never has been consistent his entire tenure here.    Biggest problem with him i have is that he wants the team system to be catered to him yet doesn't want the responsibility of carrying team.    That is illogical and not fair to any coach that has to deal with him. 

I can't believe this thread is still as active as it is. 

Can we all agree that Fizdale got a raw deal, Wallace is the real problem and that despite these facts it is time to move on and support the team and it's interim coach? 

I loved the success Hollins brought to the team but I didn't linger on him not being offered a new contract forever. I thought Joerger had continued the success but once he was gone I got behind Fizdale and supported the team. Now Fizdale is gone and the time for mourning is over. Let's support J B and the Grizzlies and let this issue die. 

27 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Oh i never doubted that Fiz was not totally innocent.  This still doesn't put me back as a Gasol fan.   

During GNG era fans prided themselves on CORE4 team mantra of always going hard and playing with maximum effort.  Reality is that was more propaganda than truth and when it came to giving much less than 100% effort- Marc was the biggest offender. 

Hollins had to dog cuss him to play to his potential, Joerger loss his mind trying to keep him engaged and Fizz apparently handled it the worse.  No coach had to "motivate" Mike to play hard.  Tony and Zbo took pride in going at guys.   Gasol is prone to check out if he doesn't like coach strategy or held team hostage by whatever mood he is in.  Because he supposedly has such a high BBIQ; people always gave him a pass.   

Gasol is fine as long as he has someone to defer too and can be 3rd option on offense.   Gasol whines and gives subpar effort when things don't go his way and never has been consistent his entire tenure here.    Biggest problem with him i have is that he wants the team system to be catered to him yet doesn't want the responsibility of carrying team.    That is illogical and not fair to any coach that has to deal with him. 

This is such misplaced insult to a person who has given everything to this franchise. I cannot continue to read this drivel and say nothing.

Tony Allen checked out, pouted, made improper public comments, and was belligerent when he wasn't getting his way.

Zach Randolph stat-padded, ball-hogged, and refused to admit his limitations on defense could be hurting the team in certain matchups and to put the team first.

You have no idea what Marc Gasol wants, thinks, or feels. Have you talked to him? Have you talked to his coaches, teammates, or friends? Of course, I know you have not, so the question is intended to point out the obvious. Instead, you're just making assumption after negative-and-almost-certainly-false assumption. I find that astonishing, given, not only everything that Marc has accomplished and has meant to this city and franchise, but especially since Marc gave an interview just after the Fizdale firing in which he said, pretty much word for word, that people are making things up about him that are untrue, but that he knows he can't really control that, and all he can control is what he does on the court. You are part of what he was talking about. And you need to stop it.

Gasol is not a perfect player (although he's a pretty **** good one), but there should be no assassinating of the guy's character unfairly.

This is just utter nonsense. It really needs to stop. 

Biggest problem with him i have is that he wants the team system to be catered to him yet doesn't want the responsibility of carrying team.    That is illogical and not fair to any coach that has to deal with him. 

That's just BS. He just want to win or else he would be cranking up a shot every time he got the ball. You might want to know that he is smart enough to know there are other guys on the team who can put up a contested shot better than he can or that someone else can put up a better shot when they are open and he is closely guarded. I have NO problems with him being a team player instead of saying JUST GIVE ME THE BALL, I'll throw it up there from anywhere.

23 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Biggest problem with him i have is that he wants the team system to be catered to him yet doesn't want the responsibility of carrying team.    That is illogical and not fair to any coach that has to deal with him. 

That's just BS. He just want to win or else he would be cranking up a shot every time he got the ball. You might want to know that he is smart enough to know there are other guys on the team who can put up a contested shot better than he can or that someone else can put up a better shot when they are open and he is closely guarded. I have NO problems with him being a team player instead of saying JUST GIVE ME THE BALL, I'll throw it up there from anywhere.

Well his team system is more based on how a team is supposed to play which is team ball and defense. He isn’t necessarily not continuing to put up shots and play well.

the issue is the system that Fiz tried implementing sucked. 30 threes a game? Continuous switching on defense and not using useful rotations, leaving our players that need to be in the game when closing counts etc.

You can say what you want but Marc’s way of wanting the team to play #therightway that everyone gets on to him about is what produces wins. 

50 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I believe that your version of how to play in this league and gasol's version would be quite different. Gasol believes in playing team basketball, and he hates selfishness. You equate not trying to go out there and score 30 a night with lazy. If gasol were lazy he would not play when he has a **** near broken foot, to win games. This is the reality. And you can't argue with the results because Gasol winsd in this league a lot.

44 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

You have no idea what Marc Gasol wants, thinks, or feels. Have you talked to him? Have you talked to his coaches, teammates, or friends? Of course, I know you have not, so the question is intended to point out the obvious. Instead, you're just making assumption after negative-and-almost-certainly-false assumption. I find that astonishing, given, not only everything that Marc has accomplished and has meant to this city and franchise, but especially since Marc gave an interview just after the Fizdale firing in which he said, pretty much word for word, that people are making things up about him that are untrue, but that he knows he can't really control that, and all he can control is what he does on the court. You are part of what he was talking about. And you need to stop it.

That's your own false assumption because actually i have.   I had a close relative that was on Hollins staff and have known others as well.   There is a reason why i stopped being a big Hollins supporter and it had just as much to do with what i KNEW was going on behind the cameras as what was in front of it.     

Mike is really the ONLY CORE4 player that remains unscathed because he is a legit good dude (not saying the others' arent) and he is the most coachable, period.   I have heard about tendencies of the main players from reliable sources for years.   

44 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

Tony Allen checked out, pouted, made improper public comments, and was belligerent when he wasn't getting his way.

Zach Randolph stat-padded, ball-hogged, and refused to admit his limitations on defense could be hurting the team in certain matchups and to put the team first.

How are you going to say my calling out of Gasol are assumptions that i can't know what he feels or thinks YET you make the same type of statements about Tony and Zbo.    Have you talked to them personally? There coaches or friends?   So you really need to stop assassinating Zbo and Tony's character???    By the way i heard the same thing about them as well, which is WHY i was not opposed to moving on from them either.   

Marc has consistently made little passive aggressive comments in regards to his teammates and coaches throughout his tenure.  Nothing i have said isn't common knowledge (or hasnt been mentioned by Tillery or Cam Rose) before.   

Unlike some people i can acknowledge a player or coaches positive contributions and still be critical of them at the same time.   Marc quit on team during the PLAYOFFS that is unforgiveable in my eyes.   You can say i don't know that but all evidence points to the fact that he allowed his feud with Fiz to effect his play during SAS series.

8 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I believe that your version of how to play in this league and gasol's version would be quite different. Gasol believes in playing team basketball, and he hates selfishness. You equate not trying to go out there and score 30 a night with lazy. If gasol were lazy he would not play when he has a **** near broken foot, to win games. This is the reality. And you can't argue with the results because Gasol winsd in this league a lot.

Was Gasol not playing during this losing streak?  Was he benched or something?    Does he have a championship ring?  Have we hung ANY banners??   If he wants to play in a way that doesn't require him to be aggressive all the time then he just needs to keep playing for Spanish National team. 

Ya'll making excuses for a max player not consistently giving Max effort is killing me.   

However,I have never said Gasol isn't a good player nor have i said he shouldn't be highly paid.   

But newsflash people when you get that big Payday and tagged as a franchise cornerstone that team builds around.  That comes with tons of responsibility and SCRUTINY.   If he wants to be completely team ball guy or just another cog then he should've signed deals like Tim Duncan did after his prime.     

Personally i will continue to criticize his attitude and any other player on the team (especially Max ones) whenever i feel they are not being consistent.   

58 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I can't believe this thread is still as active as it is. 

Can we all agree that Fizdale got a raw deal, Wallace is the real problem and that despite these facts it is time to move on and support the team and it's interim coach? 

ding ding ding- 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's your own false assumption because actually i have.   I had a close relative that was on Hollins staff and have known others as well.   There is a reason why i stopped being a big Hollins supporter and it had just as much to do with what i KNEW was going on behind the cameras as what was in front of it.     

Mike is really the ONLY CORE4 player that remains unscathed because he is a legit good dude (not saying the others' arent) and he is the most coachable, period.   I have heard about tendencies of the main players from reliable sources for years.   

How are you going to say my calling out of Gasol are assumptions that i can't know what he feels or thinks YET you make the same type of statements about Tony and Zbo.    Have you talked to them personally? There coaches or friends?   So you really need to stop assassinating Zbo and Tony's character???    By the way i heard the same thing about them as well, which is WHY i was not opposed to moving on from them either.   

Marc has consistently made little passive aggressive comments in regards to his teammates and coaches throughout his tenure.  Nothing i have said isn't common knowledge (or hasnt been mentioned by Tillery or Cam Rose) before.   

Unlike some people i can acknowledge a player or coaches positive contributions and still be critical of them at the same time.   Marc quit on team during the PLAYOFFS that is unforgiveable in my eyes.   You can say i don't know that but all evidence points to the fact that he allowed his feud with Fiz to effect his play during SAS series.

Because, if you go back to your original post that I was responding to, you specifically stated, "when it came to giving much less than 100% effort - Gasol was the biggest offender." That was undeservedly singling Gasol out for criticism on an issue on which it is obvious that Tony Allen and Zach Randolph had their own issues as well.

From there you went on to list off assumptions about Gasol, which may or may not be true, and as a result, have reached what look like all kinds of essentially erroneous conclusions about the man and the player. There's a distinction between observation and assumption.

4 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Well his team system is more based on how a team is supposed to play which is team ball and defense. He isn’t necessarily not continuing to put up shots and play well.

the issue is the system that Fiz tried implementing sucked. 30 threes a game? Continuous switching on defense and not using useful rotations, leaving our players that need to be in the game when closing counts etc.

You can say what you want but Marc’s way of wanting the team to play #therightway that everyone gets on to him about is what produces wins. 

I like shooting 3s, I said Fiz should let them go out there and shoot 50-60 a couple of times. The reason for that was to find out who should and who shouldn't  be shooting 3s and then let the 1s who shot the best shot the most. i think that the Grizz have 5 guys who would score more. It's hard to beat teams that shoots 3s well. The Grizz shot 50% against the Spurs and even better than that against the Cavs.

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I like shooting 3s, I said Fiz should let them go out there and shoot 50-60 a couple of times. The reason for that was to find out who should and who shouldn't  be shooting 3s and then let the 1s who shot the best shot the most. i think that the Grizz have 5 guys who would score more. It's hard to beat teams that shoots 3s well. The Grizz shot 50% against the Spurs and even better than that against the Cavs.

Yea but they weren’t jacking them up. Meaning, running down shooting them then going back.

the last three games have all been within the flow of the offense sans Tyreke ISO’s every once and awhile.

there is a major difference 

56 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Take this from a New Yorker, and I think I can speak for every NY, Vescey is not a credible source, at all.

I was wondering if anyone would eventually notice the author and raise an eyebrow. 

19 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Yea but they weren’t jacking them up. Meaning, running down shooting them then going back.

the last three games have all been within the flow of the offense sans Tyreke ISO’s every once and awhile.

there is a major difference 

I didn't mean run down and jack them up, I mean when a player was open, after the team got down court. I don't like anyone jacking up a 3 with no one back to contest the rebound. Too many players have been turning down good shots.

4 hours ago, Memphisyank said:

ding ding ding- 

I don't think Fiz got a raw deal, he got a playoff team that had been there 6 straight years and only improved 1 game over the previous year and that team had a lot of rag tag players on it. That doesn't speaking very highly of him. His pudding wasn't very good at all.

With the Grizzlies shooting that many threes a game why wasn't Parsons averaging at least 7 attempts instead of the 3.3 he is actually averaging?  I hate to admit it but that was due to BAD COACHING.  Man I liked Fizdale and still do, but he was not maximizing the team.  It looked like he was going to get them going early, but even then Parsons was not getting any plays run for him.

Why pay Parsons so much and not set up plays for him?  Everybody knows he's a lights out shooter.  A lot of the stuff he did left me scratching my head, then they would show him on the sidelines looking dumbfounded.  He needed to go.

Freaking Mario Chalmers is shooting 3 3-point attempts a game and Andrew Harrison is shooting over 2 attempts.  Come on, not enough was being done with the schemes and play calling.  JB better start using Parsons once he's available.

3 hours ago, Michael D said:

With the Grizzlies shooting that many threes a game why wasn't Parsons averaging at least 7 attempts instead of the 3.3 he is actually averaging?  I hate to admit it but that was due to BAD COACHING.  Man I liked Fizdale and still do, but he was not maximizing the team.  It looked like he was going to get them going early, but even then Parsons was not getting any plays run for him.

Why pay Parsons so much and not set up plays for him?  Everybody knows he's a lights out shooter.  A lot of the stuff he did left me scratching my head, then they would show him on the sidelines looking dumbfounded.  He needed to go.

Freaking Mario Chalmers is shooting 3 3-point attempts a game and Andrew Harrison is shooting over 2 attempts.  Come on, not enough was being done with the schemes and play calling.  JB better start using Parsons once he's available.

Fiz was allowing guys to play to "loosey goosey" and do whatever they felt. That bothered Marc Gasol. It seemed like the only play he did get on was Marc.

I am not a big fan of Gasol but there is no way that THIS team should be shooting 30 threes a game.

Fiz was running an offense like he had a prime Lebron and a high level DWade out there creating shots for Mike Miller and Ray Allen.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I was wondering if anyone would eventually notice the author and raise an eyebrow. 

Cant the same be said about "unnamed source" or "agreed to speak on the condition of remaining anonymous" ?

17 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Cant the same be said about "unnamed source" or "agreed to speak on the condition of remaining anonymous" ?

I think so when it is the only confirming source. Sometimes unnamed sources are used because having their name released could cost someone their job or hurt the team. It isn’t cool where the reporters can’t find a corroborating source however. 

This is a different issue from what we were discussing however. Vescey has a credibility issue where his sources are not as connected as he implied and their information turns out false.