SC Grizz

So now what?

Started out hot. Fizzled. Now we have got the injuries starting again (JaM, now MC11). 

Are these next two games at home "must wins" to keep things moving in the right direction this season? Portland will be tough, but we really can't afford a loss at home to the Mavs, right? After that, Brooklyn is our only winnable game until December.

Mario certainly wasn't getting it done last night. Wasting last year on Harrison/Baldwin versus getting a capable back-up is really biting us now. We could have gotten Yogi Farrell literally for peanuts last year. 

Not sure what the other options are - start Tyreke? Bring up Kobi? 

I say just wait until late January. If the team ain't capable to compete for a playoff spot, then try to rebuild. We have our pick this year in a stacked draft class. It's not a bad idea.

Maybe try to trade Marc to the Cavs for Nets pick/Cavs 2019 pick/Frye/Smith, which works money wise.

Dunno, this season is really weird. I think we have a good team (Conley, Evans, Parsons, Green and Marc are one of the best lineups in the league IMO) but I don't know what is wrong with them, at least for the last nine games.

Too many people have viewed this team in terms of what they want it to be in their heads and not in comparison with the rest of the league.  They have an offense that scores 100 ppg at the end of the day.  ALL of these teams post 100 ppg easily except for Sacramento and Dallas. Its hard to be much more than .500 when you are in a nailbiter every single night. I thought over the years their vet experience pulled out so many tight games. This isnt there any more and now they are really average.

Not much is going to change imo. Even when Conley comes back and he kills it, they are still a 100 ppg team cause he is so high usage when at his best and there isnt enough shooting to be explosive.

No one wanted to rebuild and get value for our assets when they have value so this is what you get. A team that will slowly get worse and worse until they are dead.  To me this is as bad as just flat out sucking, but hey, not my call.

This team is about where I expected and where most national analysts predicted. They will be hovering around or slightly below .500 this year. I think the 5-1 start got a lot of people's hopes up but then the team fell back to earth. This team has a lot of weaknesses.  We still don't have a real starting SF or PF, we don't have a backup PG and we have no offensive structure or flow. Not to mention, our PG is now down. Ennis and Green would be nice backups on a good team, not starting. I know CP started last night and that may be the best thing going forward but does anyone really believe he will be healthy all season. 

Now a 5 game win streak could cure a lot of things but not sure if that will happen anytime soon. As i mentioned earlier, if CP rolls off a few good games an dteams inquire about him, we need to dump him asap. He's fool's gold and will be injured again. This is what Fizz wanted though I guess. This team has no vet leadership and no structure but I will still cheer them on.

12 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

This team is about where I expected and where most national analysts predicted. They will be hovering around or slightly below .500 this year. I think the 5-1 start got a lot of people's hopes up but then the team fell back to earth. This team has a lot of weaknesses.  We still don't have a real starting SF or PF, we don't have a backup PG and we have no offensive structure or flow. Not to mention, our PG is now down. Ennis and Green would be nice backups on a good team, not starting. I know CP started last night and that may be the best thing going forward but does anyone really believe he will be healthy all season. 

Now a 5 game win streak could cure a lot of things but not sure if that will happen anytime soon. As i mentioned earlier, if CP rolls off a few good games an dteams inquire about him, we need to dump him asap. He's fool's gold and will be injured again. This is what Fizz wanted though I guess. This team has no vet leadership and no structure but I will still cheer them on.

I think we do have a starting sf and pf. Green and Parsons look fantastic.

The problem the Grizzlies have is that they don't know what they want to be and that begins with the coach. You're not going to convince me that if Gregg Popovich had this team that we wouldn't be like 11 and 2 or something.

We can try to get Okafor from Philly. He is still first round talent. We need some help at center. Teams are starting to crowd Marc and cut off Reke's driving lanes. Besides those two and Conley, we have NO scores or shooters. At least Daniels could shoot us back into games with the 3-point shot. Now teams are daring us to beat them with the three and we just keep chunking them up. 

Still too early in the season for me. Too much disruption and unknowns happening:

1)  Not sure what BenMc and Seldon truly look like

2) Jam went down early

3) MC hasn't been usual MC

4) Tyreke has been better than expected so far

5) Parsons has shown signs of maybe returning as a full-time starter at some point

6) Lot of new faces so chemistry may take some time

7) Brooks has proven he deserves minutes which throws a wrench into minute distribution 

8) Its Fiz's 2nd year as head coach, probably some learning curve there too

9) What is the true rotation if everyone is healthy?

10) Schedule had a tough start and parity is really a reality now this season

These are just a handful of reasons that allow me patience with this season. My view of this season is a glass half-full, 1 step back, 2 steps forward outlook. If the front office is riding with MC, Gasol, and Parsons for the next few years then I'm content with that and "trust the process". I see this season hopefully playing out as a stepping stone for next season. Of course, many things have to fall into place and that whole ownership thing could monkey wrench things up as well...nevertheless, this feels like a normal Grizz start to me...start rough and finish strong (hopefully). 

19 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Those five wins really got my hopes up. Just like when Watson started for my Texans. 

That's probably the case with most. I think injuries and implementation will dictate this season for a bit causing peaks and valleys. I would like to go on a roll the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs. 

This season was always going to be about transitioning to the new style of play and developing a couple young guys. Nothing has changed

21 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Still too early in the season for me. Too much disruption and unknowns happening:

1)  Not sure what BenMc and Seldon truly look like

2) Jam went down early

3) MC hasn't been usual MC

4) Tyreke has been better than expected so far

5) Parsons has shown signs of maybe returning as a full-time starter at some point

6) Lot of new faces so chemistry may take some time

7) Brooks has proven he deserves minutes which throws a wrench into minute distribution 

8) Its Fiz's 2nd year as head coach, probably some learning curve there too

9) What is the true rotation if everyone is healthy?

10) Schedule had a tough start and parity is really a reality now this season

These are just a handful of reasons that allow me patience with this season. My view of this season is a glass half-full, 1 step back, 2 steps forward outlook. If the front office is riding with MC, Gasol, and Parsons for the next few years then I'm content with that and "trust the process". I see this season hopefully playing out as a stepping stone for next season. Of course, many things have to fall into place and that whole ownership thing could monkey wrench things up as well...nevertheless, this feels like a normal Grizz start to me...start rough and finish strong (hopefully). 

I like the patient perspective. Probably smart as we are not the only team out West struggling early. 

Ben Mc's haters sure do look like geniuses as of right now though (to your #1 point above)

Right now the team needs to come together and stop trying to play hero ball and get back to Grizzlies Grit and Grind basketball. That means playing as a team, outworking the opponents and start making some shots. 

We truly are at the mercy of health and the first big snake bite is Conley.   Everything was predicated on health and now that we aren't fully health - is anyone really surprised by our performance?

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We truly are at the mercy of health and the first big snake bite is Conley.   Everything was predicated on health and now that we aren't fully health - is anyone really surprised by our performance?

I'm surprised by how bad it could get if we don't find some things to build on. What is worrisome during this losing streak is that they don't seem to be fixing or improving on their mistakes. It starting to be the same story every game. 

I'm surprised because we shouldn't need Conley to play to beat a team like the Mavs at home. That's if we think we're anythin better than a 7th-8th seed fully healthy.

When you play a line up of:

Evans

McLemore

Ennis

Martin

D. Davis

For really any period of time it is going to be hard to do much of anything. Also clearly our shot selection at times is horrendous.

Carlisle is a good coach and his switching from zone to man was too much for Fizz. 

8 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not at all. Only a blind man would look at this roster and not realize there was a far greater likelihood of injuries derailing this team than most teams in the league. 

Last nights game broke my sprits for the night. It was so close. We need a W. 

Is it true we are 29th again in 3pts made?

Ask yourself is our core of Conley/Evans/Parsons/Gasol even when healthy really that much better than a core of Walker/Lamb/Batum/Howard?  Or Dragic/Waiters/Johnson/Whiteside? These are your average NBA joe blow teams. I dont see how they produce more than those cores.

Listen, even if this could work, why is an average foundation with no sure fire Allstars that is all over or pushing 30 and literally ALL of them have had major health problems in the last few years...why is this worth investing in? Why not just grab what assets you can from it? Instead of exposing your best asset as a low efficiency big who is getting a little slow for the modern game and hurting his value? Just freaking know when to fold them.

Your old excuse for not wanting to tank....which was always "I prefer to watch a winner"...throw that out the window. Whats the new excuse?

5 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

When you play a line up of:

Evans

McLemore

Ennis

Martin

D. Davis

For really any period of time it is going to be hard to do much of anything. Also clearly our shot selection at times is horrendous.

Carlisle is a good coach and his switching from zone to man was too much for Fizz. 

When Conley is OUT

When Selden is OUT

When Wright is OUT

When Rio is on minutes watch

When Parsons is on minutes restriction

When Brooks is a rookie and foul prone

When Harrison is complete garbage

When Rabb is OUT

When you don't want to play Marc 40+ on a gimpy ankle

What would you do?

I really don't think a lot of ya'll understand the extra complications that Fiz has to deal with.   He cannot really go to a 8 man rotation right now due to all those factors above.   This isn't 2K guys do need in game rest.   He tries to still minutes every game for his main guys but unfortunately the weak players on this team barely qualify for G-league level.  

Halfway into the season we flip a switch and start kicking ***. That's what I hope. 

Does Ennis try not to score?

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Ask yourself is our core of Conley/Evans/Parsons/Gasol even when healthy really that much better than a core of Walker/Lamb/Batum/Howard?  Or Dragic/Waiters/Johnson/Whiteside? These are your average NBA joe blow teams. I dont see how they produce more than those cores.

Listen, even if this could work, why is an average foundation with no sure fire Allstars that is all over or pushing 30 and literally ALL of them have had major health problems in the last few years...why is this worth investing in? Why not just grab what assets you can from it? Instead of exposing your best asset as a low efficiency big who is getting a little slow for the modern game and hurting his value? Just freaking know when to fold them.

Your old excuse for not wanting to tank....which was always "I prefer to watch a winner"...throw that out the window. Whats the new excuse?

Personally, i never understood why we needed to tank to get this magical guaranteed superstar draft pick.    I was always in the camp of pulling a BOS not a Philly.   

Meaning we should've traded zbo and/or tony years ago when they had value to get a first round pick.   I was never of the belief that the only guys that can develop into stars are automatically slotted 1-12 in the draft.   I am also not of the belief that this Grizz FO would even pick the right one in the first place. 

I wanted to move one or two of the core guys for 1rst rd picks then develop the player(s) along with the remaining core guys  ala Celtics.   Instead most fans either wanted to hit the Nuke button or ride the bus till wheels fell off.    Neither option guaranteed success.   

Tanking wouldn't have guaranteed us anything due to incompetency of this FO and weakness of most of these drafts.   Do ya'll think we would have gotten Porzingas?? Embiid?? Simmons?  More likely we would have taken Winslow, Cauley-Stein, Hezonja, Dunn, Bender.... None of those dudes are better than Wayne, Rabb, or Dillon.  

Reality is our fanbase ain't sticking around for a full tank rebuild.   However, if things don't get better i am all for a pivot and soft rebuild by first trading Marc for picks.     Then focusing on the talented young guys we do have while keeping Parsons and Evans because they are only 28yrs old and entertaining to watch.     Go see what can be had for Wright, Gasol, Harrison, and Ennis.     Moving Mike and Parsons would cost us future assets due to their injury history and salaries.    No reason to give up Tyreke when moving those salaries can now allow us to resign him.     We can still pursue being a playoff team with a team built around Mike + Parsons +Evans + JaMyke .    Then go all in on developing Rabb, Davis, Wayne, and Dillon and any other new assets we may have.