Sign in to follow this  
Memfizz

Grade & Rank your Grizzlies coaches (so far)

Thought this would be a fun idea.  More of an off-season thread but I got to thinking about it the other day when watching some Kings ball under Joerger...and seeing him do the same exact Zbo post up offense with them made me appreciate Fiz a bit more again.

Coaches:

Hollins (A-): What can I say, he got us the furthest we've ever been and had an elite working unit. He was a hard-nosed guy, no question, but it got the best out of a once great core.  He had his flaws, but that WCF run was magical.  Also, this was just before the 3 point boom took full effect so it wasn't too outdated yet and the last of an era of basketball style imo.  He was the only coach to whip Marc into shape as well.  Imagine current Marc under Hollins? Would be great. A- might be generous but I'm sticking with it.

Fizdale (B+): So far, I really can't complain about Fiz.  He came in and instantly made an impact and brought life to a dying team with a much more upbeat style and rhythm offense.  He got more out of Conley (possibly thinks too much of him though) and Marc and just about everyone not named Zbo.  Although, I thought if Zbo would have bought in more, he would have flourished. He has his flaws as well, but really can't complain with what he's done so far.

Hubie (B) : Not bad, Not great 

Iavaroni (C):

Fratello (C-):

Joerger (D+): I know I may get heat for this..but I thought and still think Joerger is an awful coach.  He has a poor man's Hollins offense, with less respect, and beyond outdated in today's game.  He has an odd and stubborn rotation approach.  The only thing he was really good at was out of bounds plays, since he's good at Xs and Os.  But running a full game was consistently hard to watch...it completely took shooters out of the offense and ball handlers, which semi worked with Zbo and Gasol, but when Zbo started fading and Gasol refused to step up in big moments, it was doomed to fail...it's not a coincidence that his teams consistently can't shoot despite personnel.  Right now the Kings are dead last in 3PA even with a shooting core.  Aka, I don't miss him. 

Hubie Brown: A-  until he got tired and the team turned on him. 

But that one year ... anyone who can control Jason Williams is a great coach. 

47 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Hubie Brown: A-  until he got tired and the team turned on him. 

But that one year ... anyone who can control Jason Williams is a great coach. 

I did enjoy Hubie. Also not having to listen to him ramble on ESPN broadcast was nice.

Why did you leave off Fratello and Ivaroni?

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I have no idea

its corrected

I feel I may be a little hard on Fratello (he was a good coach) but I wasn't watching Grizz then- I followed Hubie and then stopped following Griz  then later when they drafted Conley and hired Ivy I started watching again cause league pass.

fiz, imo, would, at best, be an i right now.

if i were to give him a grade to date, it would be a c.

2 quick knocks i see to date- coming out of to's or down the stretch in games...he has yet to prove that his team can execute on a consistent basis. another point is his team's knack of not 'getting up' for the regular or lesser tier teams.

both of these traits, to me, show a coach who is growing in/on the job.

say what you want about dave and not playing the young guys/style of play, etc...you can't knock him for the 2 traits above.

slim.

I disagree with that, numerous times we'd play down to whatever team regardless of coach.  Sure Dave would get us up for regular season, to the degree he would burn everybody out.  That was a main knock on him, so it's a positive and a negative.

3 hours ago, memphis slim said:

fiz, imo, would, at best, be an i right now.

if i were to give him a grade to date, it would be a c.

2 quick knocks i see to date- coming out of to's or down the stretch in games...he has yet to prove that his team can execute on a consistent basis. another point is his team's knack of not 'getting up' for the regular or lesser tier teams.

both of these traits, to me, show a coach who is growing in/on the job.

say what you want about dave and not playing the young guys/style of play, etc...you can't knock him for the 2 traits above.

slim.

You know what...if you think about it a little more.. Dave coached like who he was assistant to. Hollins. Great after time out/end game situations. Got the most out of Zbo and Marc and he just rolled with that. Just like Hollins

Fizz coaches those situations like he still have those superstars to just "make a play". I think that's why Reke is going off. Give him the ball type guys Wade,Bron, Bosh etc.

18 hours ago, Allen said:

What about Sydney Lowe?

1) Hollins=A

2) Hubie=B

3) Fratello=B

4) DJ=B

5) Fiz=B (still early)

6) Barone=D

7) Lowe=F

Not worth a rank=Ivy

8 hours ago, Southern Dreadz said:

What about Sydney Lowe?

I just googled who this was. It said he resigned as coach 8 games into the season?? Can someone explain that to me? Lol

52 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

I just googled who this was. It said he resigned as coach 8 games into the season?? Can someone explain that to me? Lol

Sydney Lowe hired coaches based on if he could control them or not, and how loyal they were to him. He was completely paranoid that somebody would take his job. By the time he was on the outs as the coach it was clear that it was he against the front office.  

Not going to grade, but ranking them I would say:

1. Lionel Hollins

2. Hubie Brown

3. David Fizdale

4. Mike Fratello

5. Dave Joerger

The rest aren't worth mentioning.

Fizdale is 50-50 through his first 100 games as head coach. He was 43-39 in his first season, 2-4 in the playoffs and is now 7-9 this season. 

Fratello won 53.4% of his games, Joerger won 59.8%, Hollis won 55.8% as the FT head coach (not counting 0-4 stone between Hugie and Fratello) and Hubie won 49.4%.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Fizdale is 50-50 through his first 100 games as head coach. He was 43-39 in his first season, 0-4 in the playoffs and is now 7-7 this season. 

Fratello won 53.4% of his games, Joerger won 59.8%, Hollis won 55.8% as the FT head coach (not counting 0-4 stone between Hugie and Fratello) and Hubie won 49.4%.

Joerger won 59% running his players into the ground.  Fizdale implemented an entire new system, is willing to rotate youth, and actually rested his guys a ton.

6 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

Joerger won 59% running his players into the ground.  Fizdale implemented an entire new system, is willing to rotate youth, and actually rested his guys a ton.

Joerger took over a team that was ready to win. Hollins built the team from the ground up and so did Hubie.

But I would still put joerger 2nd behind hollins. He is better x/os coach. Fizdale is last. I would put fratello 3rd. He was a good coach.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Joerger took over a team that was ready to win. Hollins built the team from the ground up and so did Hubie.

But I would still put joerger 2nd behind hollins. He is better x/os coach. Fizdale is last. I would put fratello 3rd. He was a good coach.

Putting Joerger 2nd on the list is a joke.

Saying that Fizdale isn't better than Iavaroni was is again a joke.

12 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Putting Joerger 2nd on the list is a joke.

Saying that Fizdale isn't better than Iavaroni was is again a joke.

1. Hollins
  2. Brown
  3. Joerger
  4. Fratello
  5. Fizdale
  6. Lowe
  7. Iavaroni

I can't argue with any of Chip's rankings. I think Fizdale has potential to climb two more spots on this list long-term, but has a long way to go and with this roster he's got an uphill battle.

Also, while i know that the "modern" offense is just an opened up floor with pick n' rolls, I would love to at least see some creativity out of timeouts.

On 11/16/2017 at 3:52 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

fratello 3rd. He was a good coach.

I'd say he was a good coach but a lousy HEAD coach.