Blackwatch

Does Fizz's system fit the current roster?

Its nothing wrong with the system. We are playing how most of the teams in the league play. The players just have to be better. Mike and Marc are never going to be able to play this way

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

Its nothing wrong with the system. We are playing how most of the teams in the league play. The players just have to be better. Mike and Marc are never going to be able to play this way

Thats true, its only one Pop and one Brad Stevens. Golden State really isnt anything special they just make shots. Everybody else is pnr and iso.

20 minutes ago, Allen said:

I agree.  If we want to know how Fiz system is supposed to be just watch MIA over the years.  

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree.  If we want to know how Fiz system is supposed to be just watch MIA over the years.  

Only difference is they had a couple of scrubs named Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, surrounded by a bunch of shooters who understood their roles.

7 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

when have Conley and Parsons been consistent in their scoring? Its not unrealistic to expect them to score, but it is irrational to think they will, that's just not who they have been over the years.

You must be looking at different numbers than I am for Parsons. Omitting his rookie year and his injured time with us, I see him shooting 48.6%, 37.2%, 46.2%, 49.2%.  Anything wrong with that?  Guy's got almost 2,000 field goals in 285 games.

Conley's consistent.  He always gets 2 points in the first quarter, 4 in the second, and anywhere up to 20 in the second half. ;)

I think we have to give Fizz another game to evaluate his full rotation.   JaM, Ben, and Wayne need another game under their belt before figuring out things.   

I think the 10 man rotation thing isn't going to work ultimately.  Going to have to get it down to 8 guys that know how to play together.  

1. Mike
  2. Marc
  3. Tyreke
  4. Chandler
  5. Brooks
  6. JaMyke
  7. Wright
  8. Ennis
  9. Chalmers
  10. Wayne
  11. Ben

Chalmers is a helter/skelter backup PG.   When Mike comes back i wouldn't mind seeing him catch some DNPs. 

Reke is fool's gold. He misses just about every shot when important moments of the game. Fizdale is slowly moving this team to mediocrity. Marc only plays hard when he feels he has to.

There is no doubt that if we had Pop as our coach we'd be a lot better and probably championship caliber. And the only coach that has ever beaten Pops in a playoff series was Hollins. This includes Hubie Brown, Joerger and now Fizdale.

People thought Hollins was a dinosaur and they LOVE the flash of Joerger and Fizdale. lol. I have no confidence in Fizdale, nor this team anymore under his leadership. It's not about the west, it's about his system. Might as well blow up the team. 

The team has shown it can play Fizz's system. The big problem right now is we have 3 "fresh" players we are adding to the team and now have to refigure out the lineups plus now a Conley injury.

I think Ennis needs to be bumped down to the bench with Reke and Parsons brought up to play with Marc and Mike. I'd almost leave Brooks in the starting lineup because of his overall balanced game and he won't take shots away from the big 3 to be effective.

Let the bench run all day with Reke being the focus point.

20 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

The team has shown it can play Fizz's system. The big problem right now is we have 3 "fresh" players we are adding to the team and now have to refigure out the lineups plus now a Conley injury.

It's almost hard to believe how many fans are underestimating the impact of that.   Hell the Cavs, LAC, and OKC are all having issues integrating new pieces but somehow the Grizz are supposed to be able to do it with no problem.

28 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I think Ennis needs to be bumped down to the bench with Reke and Parsons brought up to play with Marc and Mike. I'd almost leave Brooks in the starting lineup because of his overall balanced game and he won't take shots away from the big 3 to be effective.

I like Ennis but he is a low impact low usage player that is completely dependent on transition buckets and playmakers for his scoring.  JaMychal is the same way and so is Ben.    Brooks can actually create off the bounce and handle the ball decently, along with playing solid defense.    I think as last night's game illustrated yet again.  It is more important to get off to a good start than it is to have a super strong bench.    Unless Fiz plans on promoting Parsons to starting lineup then Dillon deserves the spot IMHO.     Ennis should be the next guy looked at for demotion in starting lineup. 

38 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It's almost hard to believe how many fans are underestimating the impact of that.   Hell the Cavs, LAC, and OKC are all having issues integrating new pieces but somehow the Grizz are supposed to be able to do it with no problem.

I like Ennis but he is a low impact low usage player that is completely dependent on transition buckets and playmakers for his scoring.  JaMychal is the same way and so is Ben.    Brooks can actually create off the bounce and handle the ball decently, along with playing solid defense.    I think as last night's game illustrated yet again.  It is more important to get off to a good start than it is to have a super strong bench.    Unless Fiz plans on promoting Parsons to starting lineup then Dillon deserves the spot IMHO.     Ennis should be the next guy looked at for demotion in starting lineup. 

Cause people are banking on the greatness of the AllStars in Cleveland and OKC to pull them out of their holes. Its not going to take nearly as much unity as the Grizzlies for them to win consistenly because of what they have

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Reke is fool's gold. He misses just about every shot when important moments of the game. Fizdale is slowly moving this team to mediocrity. Marc only plays hard when he feels he has to.

There is no doubt that if we had Pop as our coach we'd be a lot better and probably championship caliber. And the only coach that has ever beaten Pops in a playoff series was Hollins. This includes Hubie Brown, Joerger and now Fizdale.

People thought Hollins was a dinosaur and they LOVE the flash of Joerger and Fizdale. lol. I have no confidence in Fizdale, nor this team anymore under his leadership. It's not about the west, it's about his system. Might as well blow up the team. 

I wouldnt say fools gold cause he makes so many solid plays but the layups will usually be tougher in the last few minutes of a tight game because teams will scrammble to close out a lot harder when its most important and refs tend to swallow their whistles on contact in the paint.

24 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Cause people are banking on the greatness of the AllStars in Cleveland and OKC to pull them out of their holes. Its not going to take nearly as much unity as the Grizzlies for them to win consistenly because of what they have

Yes and that is exactly why i am more patient with Grizzlies.  In order to be effective we need more cohesion than the "superstar laden" teams.   That has always been the recipe for us.      Constant shuffling of lineups sabotages that cohesion and leads to losses.  Unfortunately, with guys returning from injury and being out due to injury - there isn't much that can be done to prevent the shuffling. 

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I wouldnt say fools gold cause he makes so many solid plays but the layups will usually be tougher in the last few minutes of a tight game because teams will scrammble to close out a lot harder when its most important and refs tend to swallow their whistles on contact in the paint.

That last layup was missed due to Brandan hanging on rim too long and shaking it.   That affected the bounce of it.  

43 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That last layup was missed due to Brandan hanging on rim too long and shaking it.   That affected the bounce of it.  

The rim was shaking but that one wasnt going in. He Tony Allened that one.

Sports Illustrated Top 100 of 2018, preseason:

Mike #18, Marc #24 ... no one else.
Even if you argue that Parsons will be top 100 when healthy, that makes three. 
There are 30 teams. A balanced league would have three top-100 on each team. 
WITH a healthy Parsons we have three. Which makes us average.

We'd have more wins with Pops (who wouldn't?) but nowhere near a championship. 

It's time to get realistic - as we do EVERY year at this time - about what this roster's ceiling is. 
If we top out at 45 wins, then a good coach is one who gets us those 45 wins. A superior coach gets us maybe to 48.

And even that's assuming an NBA-average level of injuries. 

Especially when we appear not to have effective backups at C and PG. 

2 minutes ago, TimBC said:

It's time to get realistic - as we do EVERY year at this time - about what this roster's ceiling is. 
If we top out at 45 wins, then a good coach is one who gets us those 45 wins. A superior coach gets us maybe to 48.

Ah, I think it's way more variables to consider than just having 3 top 100 players on the team. I won't get into all of that but I agree that we don't have a backup C but we have Chalmers and Evans. I think they are both effective as a backup pg for Conley. 

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You really won't consider that this team is injury-prone, right? Not freak injuries, but even just soreness that causes them to miss games or underperform.

I think the players are also to blame, and not just the coaching staff.

I get it we're top 10 when healthy, but that has been the issue the past few years now.

Our key guys are always hurt, but the real difference this year is that they cant play through it unlike before.

55 minutes ago, TimBC said:

This version of Tyreke makes top 40 easily.   Parsons is actually a solid player with the only caveat being continued health.    They are both underrated.   Unfortunately, Mike is turning out to be the one that's overrated. 

I think there is nothing wrong with Fizz's system in theory. The problem I have is that the team is playing like they have the personnel to be a quick, distance shooting team, which is not the case. They do not have the shooters to launch 35 3's a game, they do not have the scoring to allow teams to score 30pts/qtr. on them. Again last night, down the stretch, they launched 3 after 3 after 3. You can't take that many 3 pointers during crunch time when you are not proficient in it. The Grizz scored 84 points in 3 qtrs. , which would be great, if they played any D what so ever. A good way to gauge how a game will go is to see how many points the other teams scores in a qtr. If the other team scores between 22 and 26 points in a quarter, the Grizz are in for a long nite.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This version of Tyreke makes top 40 easily.   Parsons is actually a solid player with the only caveat being continued health.    They are both underrated.   Unfortunately, Mike is turning out to be the one that's overrated

Underutilized and injured, and now he's overrated? Smh come on man.

15 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Underutilized and injured, and now he's overrated? Smh come on man.

in regards to present production. yes he is overrated right now and injuries are considered part of the score.

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

in regards to present production. yes he is overrated right now and injuries are considered part of the score.

One months worth of ineffective and injured play after 5 great years doesn't make him overrated, it just means he's hurt/ineffective.

8 hours ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

So Tyreke is playing 48 minutes?