Blackwatch

Does Fizz's system fit the current roster?

After the last Houston game, I'm not sure if Fizz gets the message that if he truly wants to contend now, he's gonna have to find more consistent scoring, period. His system is suited for a team with more pure shooters/playmakers than he has right now. He needs to find someone like a bigger, more durable Reke on the low block and a "3 and D" player like Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry (you can tell my age from my dated references here). What are some players the Grizz could add that can better run and produce under Fizz' System?

We need to put a package together for another bruiser. I'd be targettin Tyson Chandler, O'Quinn or Okafor. That would open up another roster spot for either a vet like Brandon Rush or Randy Foye maybe. Or take a chance on another young'n like Archie Goodwin n James Young.

46 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

What are some players the Grizz could add that can better run and produce under Fizz' System?

Tyreke Evans, Marc Gasol, Chandler Parsons, JaMychal Green, Mike Conley, Dillon Brooks, Ben McLemore, Wayne Selden, and Ivan Rabb.   :lol:

He has the players he needs just need them all healthy and figure out best rotation.   

We have playmakers: Tyreke, Marc, Chandler, Mike, and Rio

We have 3D guys for days:  Ennis, Wayne, Ben, Brooks

We have Stretch 4s: Parsons, JaMyke

We have low post scorers: Gasol and Rabb

Our defense is top 5 in the league. 

All we need is for JMart to take his rightful place at end of rotation and Mike and Marc to play like they are paid.    It's crazy to think we are doing this good with how inconsistent and limited our Big3 are.    This team is DEEP.  

There really is no excuse for Fiz to NOT implement the system with the players he has.  If he fails doing that this year then that won't look good. 

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He has the players he needs just need them all healthy and figure out best rotation.   

All we need is for JMart to take his rightful place at end of rotation and Mike and Marc to play like they are paid.    It's crazy to think we are doing this good with how inconsistent and limited our Big3 are.    This team is DEEP.  

There really is no excuse for Fiz to NOT implement the system with the players he has.  If he fails doing that this year then that won't look good. 

The only player that has shown consistently that he is a go for Fizz system is Reke.

Conley, Gasol, and Parsons have shown flashes. They could work well if there are more consistent scorers on the team.

Jam , Ennis, Brooks, and Seldon have shown that possibly, with more time (and health) they are a go. But they aren't difference makers.

Rio plays with a chip for no reason, and the rest are expendable.

I like the idea of a bruiser type on the inside, but there still is a lack of consistent scoring (other than Reke) that needs to be addressed.

23 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

The only player that has shown consistently that he is a go for Fizz system is Reke.

Conley, Gasol, and Parsons have shown flashes. They could work well if there are more consistent scorers on the team.

Jam , Ennis, Brooks, and Seldon have shown that possibly, with more time (and health) they are a go. But they aren't difference makers.

Rio plays with a chip for no reason, and the rest are expendable.

I like the idea of a bruiser type on the inside, but there still is a lack of consistent scoring (other than Reke) that needs to be addressed.

If Mike was simply playing at his 2015 levels or Parsons wasn't limited by minutes restriction; we would probably be a 1 loss team.  We have 4 legit scorers so technically all we need any given game is for 2 of them to produce.   That's not an unrealistic expectation. 

I think Rabb is going to be the other big that provides inside low post scoring that you so crave.   He may be more finesse than you prefer but dude is a talented inside scorer.  two points is 2pts to me - i don't care how they look when they get them. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Tyreke Evans, Marc Gasol, Chandler Parsons, JaMychal Green, Mike Conley, Dillon Brooks, Ben McLemore, Wayne Selden, and Ivan Rabb.   :lol:

EXACTLY! We need Mike to be consistent and I would think it will come. We need Tyreke to do exactly what he is doing and ignore the people who think he isn't good and needs to pass more. The team will have a heck of a time winning without Tyreke and that's a fact. Coach Fiz is a great coach and I personally think this team can be really good. They look a lot better than some of the other "preseason powerhouses " and we haven't had our entire team healthy yet. If we can avoid injury and get the rotations down then we will see how solid our team can be! Go Grizz!

What I posted in another thread:

20 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Yes, Mike and Marc should receive most of the blame, but this offense sucks. There's no structure or cohesion. No players moving w/o the ball. And too many mediocre guys are touching the ball way too much. Just like last year, we have about 3 or 4 different offenses going on.

1)Mike and Marc two-man game where the other three watches.

2)Marc's post-up where he holds the ball for 10 seconds

3)A player asks for a pick because he thinks he can go 1-on-1, only to force a bad shot. Everyone on the squad is guilty of this.

4)Of course, the Tyreke Evans Show,where the whole team tunes in to watch him dribble the air out of the ball.

The "mike off the ball" crap has resulted in a career low in assists, and little to no shots coming off screens, which was supposedly the main reason for him playing off ball to begin with.

Fizz's "free flowing" offense is nothing more than freestyling/pickup game ball.

And to expound on this, what exactly is Fizz's system?

29 minutes ago, Dwash said:

What is the differenece between this system and the last two other than the players?

Nothing now. At the beginning of the year they were pushing the ball and running the break. They aren’t doing that now.

im not seeing any evolved schemes from last year.

if they would just move the ball it would be fine. Stop utilizing Marc and mike and use some more back screens off the ball etc. 

this team has the potential. 

Mans they need to take Ennis out of the starting lineup in place of Wayne selden.

bench would be even more deadly with him off the bench and Ben Mac. 

Bennshowed whynhe fell out of favor with sac. He did that a lot there. 

Fizdale’s system is to move the ball and let the players make plays. It’s glorified street ball which works when you have the best players on the street but is easily defeated when you don’t. 

19 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

After the last Houston game, I'm not sure if Fizz gets the message that if he truly wants to contend now, he's gonna have to find more consistent scoring, period. His system is suited for a team with more pure shooters/playmakers than he has right now. He needs to find someone like a bigger, more durable Reke on the low block and a "3 and D" player like Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry (you can tell my age from my dated references here). What are some players the Grizz could add that can better run and produce under Fizz' System?

I have no idea what Fizzball is. I have no idea what the system is. I have no idea what players will fit the system.  Everybody wants pure shooters but they are low in supply (and we traded one away). A bigger more, durable Reke sounds like Z-Bo who we got rid of and we have so called 3 and d players in Ennis, McLemore, and to acertain degree Selden and rooks although Brooks seems to be a more complete player. 

31 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Fizdale’s system is to move the ball and let the players make plays. It’s glorified street ball which works when you have the best players on the street but is easily defeated when you don’t. 

There's so much one on one play with this team that it has to be by design which is not a good thing because it leads to unstructured play. We're still near the bottom of the league in assists so we're not getting any ball movement, no spacing just iso plays or 3 point shots. Our offense is not good right now. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Don't the players have to make plays no matter what kind of a system they are playing in?

29 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Don't the players have to make plays no matter what kind of a system they are playing in?

In simplistic terms yes. However most well coached teams provide a system to get players open looks. This team seems to rely more on players creating opportunities instead of a system creating them. 

I don't think the Grizz has been setting good screens except for Gasol since I have been watching them. You do that to get a player open or to create a mismatch. They did that in a game 2 or 3 games ago, Gasol had Conleys' mam and Conley fires up a 3 from the corner instead of getting the ball to Gasol, he missed, that is not team ball. I think Conley wants to score more but he is not a go to guy like Tyreke is and I think Conley is feeling the heat with Tyreke playing the way he is. He's trying to justify all the money the Grizz gave him and trying to do too much. Clutch has become Brake.

19 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If Mike was simply playing at his 2015 levels or Parsons wasn't limited by minutes restriction; we would probably be a 1 loss team.  We have 4 legit scorers so technically all we need any given game is for 2 of them to produce.   That's not an unrealistic expectation. 

I think Rabb is going to be the other big that provides inside low post scoring that you so crave.   He may be more finesse than you prefer but dude is a talented inside scorer.  two points is 2pts to me - i don't care how they look when they get them. 

You say they are 4 legit scorers on the team, but when have Conley and Parsons been consistent in their scoring? Its not unrealistic to expect them to score, but it is irrational to think they will, that's just not who they have been over the years.

If Rabb is the answer, by all means lets see what he has. I am not wedded to any style of play, other than a winning style of play. If the Grizz had players like Curry, LeBron, Irving, etc. I'd say get it, run up and down, Drive the lane or jack up a 3 and forget about D. "But that ain't us" so to speak. The Grizz don't have shooters like that, but they do have big players who should be able to play on the block. What's wrong with playing t  your strengths? That's all I've ever argued.

20 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

How do you include Rabb on that list, has he done anything yet?

20 hours ago, guillermo said:

mike and rio need to play with more consistency

Totally agree here....especially MC.  I don't expect a lot from Rio but Mike has got to get it going.  IMO if he could get rolling it would do a LOT toward making this team look good.

30 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

His skill-set.  Go watch Hustle games.  Dude has game. 

Lot of difference in G league and the NBA though. He does look like a good prospect though. B Wright did a good job in the last 2 games, it looks like to me the subs run much better with him in the game instead of Gasol.

Right now it sucks and is frustrating watching the Grizzlies play.  I think Conley is hurt.  I've never seen him get trapped on offense so often.  Its like every possession he gets doubled and trapped, leading to turnovers or bad passes out of desperation.  He must have lost a step and would probably be better off sitting.  Conley went from being the quickest man on the court to getting caught up nearly every possession.  Maybe they should start Tyreke at point guard.

They need Parsons to space the floor.  Take him off the **** minutes restriction and start him at sf.  Ennis is a good shooter, but he's not lights out like Parsons, and therefore is not a threat.  Ennis needs to be in the second unit already.  In the second unit Ennis could do some damage.  They are getting trapped though on every other possession and forcing plays, either turning it over, forcing a pass, and needing to get bailed out by a miracle or Tyreke bailing them out with a drive to the hoop or jump shot.

Tyreke on the other hand is looking great, improved actually because his shooting ability is for real.

39 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

it looks like to me the subs run much better with him in the game instead of Gasol.

I noticed that too. Its probably because he keeps the ball moving and likes to run. 

6 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I have no idea what Fizzball is. I have no idea what the system is. I have no idea what players will fit the system.  Everybody wants pure shooters but they are low in supply (and we traded one away). A bigger more, durable Reke sounds like Z-Bo who we got rid of and we have so called 3 and d players in Ennis, McLemore, and to acertain degree Selden and rooks although Brooks seems to be a more complete player. 

There's so much one on one play with this team that it has to be by design which is not a good thing because it leads to unstructured play. We're still near the bottom of the league in assists so we're not getting any ball movement, no spacing just iso plays or 3 point shots. Our offense is not good right now. 

I was thinking last night about how rarely the team comes out of a timeout and runs a perfectly executed play for an easy basket. That used to be expected but now it never seems to happen. According to the NBA.com play by play report the Grizzlies called 3 TOs in the 2nd half despite being outscored 50-38 and the only points scored after the time out were by Gasol after he was fouled by Bledsoe and made one of two FTs. 

As large a concern is the fact that the Grizzlies only took three TOs in the 2nd half. I understand the attitude of letting the team play thru their mistakes but a the time when you are losing a lead it seems a bit counter-productive. In hindsight it looks downright foolish honestly. 

So no one can really describe the offensive system and the time out situation seems to be getting worse not better in the rare moments Fizdale calls timeout. This isn't very encouraging is it? 

39 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was thinking last night about how rarely the team comes out of a timeout and runs a perfectly executed play for an easy basket. That used to be expected but now it never seems to happen. According to the NBA.com play by play report the Grizzlies called 3 TOs in the 2nd half despite being outscored 50-38 and the only points scored after the time out were by Gasol after he was fouled by Bledsoe and made one of two FTs. 

As large a concern is the fact that the Grizzlies only took three TOs in the 2nd half. I understand the attitude of letting the team play thru their mistakes but a the time when you are losing a lead it seems a bit counter-productive. In hindsight it looks downright foolish honestly. 

So no one can really describe the offensive system and the time out situation seems to be getting worse not better in the rare moments Fizdale calls timeout. This isn't very encouraging is it? 

There are fewer time outs this year than in the past. They have eliminated the "20 second" time out. So, in the past you had 4 full time outs and two 20-second time outs per half, now you only have the 4 full time outs in a half. That's probably the reason why Fizz didn't take too many time outs.

So he wasted at least one (although I believe it was 2) in a game that was close. He did call one with 26 seconds remaining and the Grizzlies down 7 points so I guess he was hoping to save the last one in case the team made a huge run in the closing seconds and he needed to cool down the team's excitement.