New_Sacred_Cow

Memphis @ Milwaukee 11/13/17

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

You guys are severely overrating the depth of the team. If Mike and Marc do not both average near 20 points a game, we will not crack 35 wins.

Reke has been averaging the 20 for us. The mere fact that we have 7-8 guys that can put up 10-15 points a game on a given night is called depth. We still haven’t gotten a Jam back and Selden can provide offense as well.

The sky is falling!  Not really, but growing pains sure are tough.  I think (hope) we will be okay once everyone is healthy.

Hurry back JAM, so Jarrell can move to the end of the bench where he belongs.  Nothing against the kid, but he has a lot to learn.

I like Dillon on the 2nd unit with Tyreke.  Speaking of Tyreke, he's been awesome. He's got chutzpah; and if he can consistently hit his threes, he's a he'll of a weapon to have.

I have confidence that Fizzdale knows what he is doing, and will eventually get the most out of this team.  I don't know what that ceiling is, but it won't get here fast enough for most of us.

7 hours ago, Blue Bear said:

Hollin's would have never started Dillion Brooks. I like the guy but he doesn't develop young talent. He gave Mike a chance and we had to sit through Mike's lackluster play for years until he became a better pg. 

Totally false.  Hollins started three rookies, a second year player, and a third year player in his first full season.  He started rookies and young players as long as he had decent ones.  After making the playoffs became a habit we never had any decent rookies.

I'm definitely NOT agreeing with KBM, just setting the facts straight.

8 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

You guys are severely overrating the depth of the team. If Mike and Marc do not both average near 20 points a game, we will not crack 35 wins.

I actually agree with this. There is no way this team can compete without Mike and Marc avg around 20 ppg. We don't have much depth on this team. We have a bunch of hope and potential. McLemore is not good, Selden is unproven, Brooks is unproven, Martin is slaw, Ennis is a non factor, Rio attack but is not the same since his injury, Parsons has contributed in other ways but really hasn't done much from a scoring perspective other than that 1 game. There is so much inconsistency on this team after Mike, Marc and Tyreke that we can't afford to have Mike and Marc be inconsistent as well and definitely can't have them not playing well as Mike has not been playing well recently.

We're not good enough to consistently win without those two having major scoring contributions. 

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Totally false.  Hollins started three rookies, a second year player, and a third year player in his first full season.  He started rookies and young players as long as he had decent ones.  After making the playoffs became a habit we never had any decent rookies.

He had a terrible team with a bunch of high profile youth. What choice did he have? Doing that is easy...trying to incorporate youth into a winning team when the veteran locker room leaders have their favorites is what takes patience.

9 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Yea its crazy how our bench has carried our starters the whole season..I want to see us with Jmyke in before i fully give an answer about this team.

Zbo and Vince carried them to a lot of wins last year from the bench.  Otherwise, the grizz would not have made the playoffs last year.

Now marc and mike are leaning on a new bench to provide the wins.

There will be growing pains over the next 5-6 games probably since the injured guys are coming back. Hoping to see Parsons in the starting lineup by XMas to help take the pressure off Mike and Marc.

I believe some people, myself included, are getting too hung up about the 5th game of a 5 game road trip. It's hard to win on the road in the NBA. The team is home now until after Thanksgiving. Green, Selden and McLemore should be integrated back into the system by then as well. Being home will give Conley and Gasol more time to rest and rehab their bumps and bruises.

We'll know a lot more about the team's future by the start of December than we will at the end of a 5 game road trip. 

1 hour ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Zbo and Vince carried them to a lot of wins last year from the bench.  Otherwise, the grizz would not have made the playoffs last year.

Now marc and mike are leaning on a new bench to provide the wins.

Vince yes, Zbo no.   Look at the advance stats from last season.  Zbo was the highest usage player with one of the lowest efficiencies in the league. 

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

He was thinking of Joerger.  Joerger starts George Hill and still dumps it in to Zbo the entire game..  No one can shoot in his offense over there either and he runs the slowest pace yet has the fastest guy in the league.

Comical really.

13 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Man you put Selden in with brooks we win

Brooks isn't that good right now. Good but not that good. 

1 hour ago, Lordninja11 said:

Brooks isn't that good right now. Good but not that good. 

? Which one is it? Brooks is a usable player hat can create offense and has high bbiq. His defense has been a amazing as well. 

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

? Which one is it? Brooks is a usable player hat can create offense and has high bbiq. His defense has been a amazing as well. 

He's still a rookie and plays that way at times and fouls way too much. I like the lad but pump the breaks a little. 

2 hours ago, Lordninja11 said:

He's still a rookie and plays that way at times and fouls way too much. I like the lad but pump the breaks a little. 

He’s playing like he’s been in the league awhile. He stays in the starting lineup. 

9 hours ago, Dwash said:

He had a terrible team with a bunch of high profile youth. What choice did he have? Doing that is easy...trying to incorporate youth into a winning team when the veteran locker room leaders have their favorites is what takes patience.

Your statement does not support the assertion that Hollins didn't develop youth.  Rather, it just shows that Hollins did what any normal, successful NBA coach does.  He plays the players who are most qualified to produce wins.  Name me ONE player Hollins coached here who has demonstrated that he should have received more time on the floor, and don't say late blooming DeMarre Carroll because he got minutes and didn't produce.  Carroll didn't produce until his second contract.

9 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I actually agree with this. There is no way this team can compete without Mike and Marc avg around 20 ppg. We don't have much depth on this team. We have a bunch of hope and potential. McLemore is not good, Selden is unproven, Brooks is unproven, Martin is slaw, Ennis is a non factor, Rio attack but is not the same since his injury, Parsons has contributed in other ways but really hasn't done much from a scoring perspective other than that 1 game. There is so much inconsistency on this team after Mike, Marc and Tyreke that we can't afford to have Mike and Marc be inconsistent as well and definitely can't have them not playing well as Mike has not been playing well recently.

We're not good enough to consistently win without those two having major scoring contributions. 

We were rarely able to win even with Zbo when Mike and Marc were both slaw. We should not suddenly expect it to be different. 

Mike&Marc slaw = L (95% probable)

43 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Hollins did what any normal, successful NBA coach does.  He plays the players who are most qualified to produce wins.  Name me ONE player Hollins coached here who has demonstrated that he should have received more time on the floor

Ish Smith would do as one example.  I think Hollins and MANY other coaches are under pressure to maximize wins every WEEK, not just over a season. Some players need to be allowed to screw up, maybe cost their team a couple of games, in order to learn how to play NBA style.  

23 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Ish Smith would do as one example.  I think Hollins and MANY other coaches are under pressure to maximize wins every WEEK, not just over a season. Some players need to be allowed to screw up, maybe cost their team a couple of games, in order to learn how to play NBA style.  

I agree players need to be given a chance learn even if they screw up.  

Coach Fizz has to be under even more pressure knowing that the Grizz have been in the playoffs for several years and the fanbase will hate to see this team revert back to the early years. 

13 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Ish Smith has been on 10 different NBA teams, and he's only 29.  I'm not going to fault Hollins on Smith when Hollins was his second stop.  Smith didn't produce anything really noteworthy until his eighth team.  Some guys just develop late.

18 minutes ago, TimBC said:

I'm not in favor of yanking a young player every time he makes a mistake.  He does need to learn to play though those.  However, I'm not so sure I want to just throw away a couple of games just to teach a guy something.  That could be disastrous.  He had better be a superstar potential kind of player before I'm making whole game sacrifices for his NBA schooling pleasure.

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not in favor of yanking a young player every time he makes a mistake.  He does need to learn to play though those.  However, I'm not so sure I want to just throw away a couple of games just to teach a guy something.  That could be disastrous.  He had better be a superstar potential kind of player before I'm making whole game sacrifices for his NBA schooling pleasure.

Hollin's was much better at given young guys a chance to play than Dave. The Grizzlies would be in games losing by 20+ points with minutes to go and Dave still wouldn't play his young talent. Dave only played his guys when he had no choice by then he ran starters into the ground. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Bear said:

Hollin's was much better at given young guys a chance to play than Dave. The Grizzlies would be in games losing by 20+ points with minutes to go and Dave still wouldn't play his young talent. Dave only played his guys when he had no choice by then he ran starters into the ground. 

I'm not going to say Joerger couldn't have done better, but in his defense we really didn't have much young talent on the team.  We had been winning for several seasons and had low or nonexistent (traded away) draft picks.  I agree that he could have done something to reduce the starters overuse.

8 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not going to say Joerger couldn't have done better, but in his defense we really didn't have much young talent on the team.  We had been winning for several seasons and had low or nonexistent (traded away) draft picks.  I agree that he could have done something to reduce the starters overuse.

Dave inherited Hollin's leftovers, I have a hard time really giving him any credit for the time he was here. The team basically played the same kind of basketball they did before. Zbo iso, Mike/Gasol pick & roll or pick & pop. I wanted to see him make a difference for this team but I'm glad it didn't work out because we would not have had Coach Fizz. 

This season will be the real test of coach Fizz. 

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Your statement does not support the assertion that Hollins didn't develop youth.  Rather, it just shows that Hollins did what any normal, successful NBA coach does.  He plays the players who are most qualified to produce wins.  Name me ONE player Hollins coached here who has demonstrated that he should have received more time on the floor, and don't say late blooming DeMarre Carroll because he got minutes and didn't produce.  Carroll didn't produce until his second contract.

I dont play the "what did these players do elsewhere" game because yeah most didnt. I feel that most prospects only get one really good chance. Once they go elsewhere the deck is usually stacked against them very heavily and the chances to overcome are extremely low because the new organization is not going to prioritize scrap pile pickups like the original team did.