Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

So the grizz can offer reke about 4yr 40 million, right?

29 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Under the table I guess if Parsons complies.

Get her done Wallace

After this season we'll only have non-Bird rights on Reke, which would only give us a $4M exception to re-sign him. So the only realistic option would be the MLE which is currently projected to be about $8.7M. Maybe that's enough money, maybe it isn't. Not a lot of teams will have cap space to offer more than the MLE, and I'm not sure those who will have it will spend it on a player like him. Also, if he signs for another year for the MLE (maybe two with a player option) he would be eligible for the early Bird exception, which would allow offering him 175% of his previous contract, so we'd be talking up to $16M in 2019.

Anyway, I agree the role may be the biggest hurdle to re-sign him. I think he's the perfect microwave / sixth man in our team and he's getting stater minutes (5th in MPG, surely 4th once the injured guys return and Brooks' minutes go down) and finishing games with the ball in his hands, so he'd be pretty daft not to recognize his relevance. But it's a fact that egos play a major role in the NBA and we need to accept that there's the possibility that he will want to start at some point.

I think the FO needs to be honest with him, as I'm sure they were when they signed him. If he really wants a bigger role and that's not in our plans, let's work out a trade together with his agent, because his trade value right now is much more than the $3.3M he makes.

If we have to trade him, though, I'm pretty sure we'll include Wright's expiring contract in order to have money to bring back good value.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

After this season we'll only have non-Bird rights on Reke, which would only give us a $4M exception to re-sign him. So the only realistic option would be the MLE which is currently projected to be about $8.7M. Maybe that's enough money, maybe it isn't. Not a lot of teams will have cap space to offer more than the MLE, and I'm not sure those who will have it will spend it on a player like him. Also, if he signs for another year for the MLE (maybe two with a player option) he would be eligible for the early Bird exception, which would allow offering him 175% of his previous contract, so we'd be talking up to $16M in 2019.

Anyway, I agree the role may be the biggest hurdle to re-sign him. I think he's the perfect microwave / sixth man in our team and he's getting stater minutes (5th in MPG, surely 4th once the injured guys return and Brooks' minutes go down) and finishing games with the ball in his hands, so he'd be pretty daft not to recognize his relevance. But it's a fact that egos play a major role in the NBA and we need to accept that there's the possibility that he will want to start at some point.

I think the FO needs to be honest with him, as I'm sure they were when they signed him. If he really wants a bigger role and that's not in our plans, let's work out a trade together with his agent, because his trade value right now is much more than the $3.3M he makes.

If we have to trade him, though, I'm pretty sure we'll include Wright's expiring contract in order to have money to bring back good value.

Thanks FanBoySlim I always enjoy considering your views.

It's up to Reke now. If Fiz can get him to "believeMemphis" and make him see the positive impact he is having on the team (assuming it continues), signing for the MLE may be real possibility. There's could be significant player movement (?LBJ, PG13, Boogie?) that might crimp his options next year. If Ben Mac or Selden, can come on strong, they  may be able to take over the 2nd unit and allow Reke to move up into the starting job, or at least be on court at the end of all games still in the balance in the last 5 mins. If we are in playoff contention, maybe even WCF contention, that may be enough to swing his favour

5 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Thanks FanBoySlim I always enjoy considering your views.

It's up to Reke now. If Fiz can get him to "believeMemphis" and make him see the positive impact he is having on the team (assuming it continues), signing for the MLE may be real possibility. There's could be significant player movement (?LBJ, PG13, Boogie?) that might crimp his options next year. If Ben Mac or Selden, can come on strong, they  may be able to take over the 2nd unit and allow Reke to move up into the starting job, or at least be on court at the end of all games still in the balance in the last 5 mins. If we are in playoff contention, maybe even WCF contention, that may be enough to swing his favour

Well, of course, if Reke meshes well with the starting unit and Ben Mac / Selden replace his production with the bench then for sure you offer him the starting position and the best contract you can give for next season.

But I'm a bit skeptical about that possibility. I think Reke's success is a direct result of him coming off the bench as the focal point of the offense and I'm not sure either the team or he would do this well with three heavy usage players fighting for touches early in the games.

18 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Mid-level exception is 8.8 million, with 5% raises.

They would then have the room exception.

I am assuming if they want ennis and wright back they will get them.

Reke is another story, though.

Really KBM? You have been bashing Reke since the day he was signed, now all of a sudden out of the blue you are concerned about if we can resign him?

21 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

you guys are amazing.

One guy is playing great, now you want him traded ASAP. wtf 

There's a lot of sarcasm in this thread, which was about how to re-sign Reke, byw.

The point is, as is with every player on an expiring contract, if you cannot re-sign him do you let him walk or trade him for sone assets?

14 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

There's a lot of sarcasm in this thread, which was about how to re-sign Reke, byw.

The point is, as is with every player on an expiring contract, if you cannot re-sign him do you let him walk or trade him for sone assets?

yeah I get it, but its still freaking November. 10 games into the season. LOL

Also, we need him if we ever make the playoffs this year.

30 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

yeah I get it, but its still freaking November. 10 games into the season. LOL

Which reminds me, how come we don't have a 2018 draft thread yet? :lol:

10 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Rio hasn't been shooting well and Parsons hasn't been shooting much at all. Tyreke is where he needs to be.

I can't wait to see you guys comment when Tyreke leaves for another team. 

So far he is shooting light years beyond his previous career high. Let's see if he sustains it for more than 11 games. Besides, he most likely will be injured before next year based on his history.

Injuries is why I dont see him signing a one year to get an early bird exception of 16 million the next year. I see him cashing out this offseason. Maybe MLE gets it done, maybe it doesnt.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Injuries is why I dont see him signing a one year to get an early bird exception of 16 million the next year. I see him cashing out this offseason. Maybe MLE gets it done, maybe it doesnt.

That's a fair point. I guess we'll have to take a risk and hope he likes it in Memphis.

3 hours ago, Blue Bear said:

I can't wait to see you guys comment when Tyreke leaves for another team. 

If he isn't willing to do what it takes to make the Grizz better then let him walk, however I would expect the Grizz to pay him like he was starting. This is where they get into giving Conley way too much money. I wouldn't expect him tp tale 1/3 of what Conley makes with what he has contributed to this team. It all depends on how well he plays the rest of the year.

23 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Itd never too early.

At age 27, I would lock him up on a year deal ASAP.   He's already proven he's worth it  Why wait?

19 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Tyreke, Brooks and Wright for Evan Turner and a 2nd rounder. Turner won’t take as many shots from Conley and Gasol and we can try to find a 2nd round gem

That's a horrible trade.

2 hours ago, The REF said:

At age 27, I would lock him up on a year deal ASAP.   He's already proven he's worth it  Why wait?

It's not legal. He's not eligible for an extension and we cannot offer him a new contract until next season's July moratorium is over.

3 hours ago, The REF said:

That's a horrible trade.

I thought it was clear I was being facetious, sorry if you didn’t catch that. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, BigHunkALove said:

Yes I agree, they may not keep either Ennis or Wright or both, since Fiz inherited them, and he may be looking to stamp his outlook on the team lineup.

Fizz was responsible for bringing ennis back here.  he coached him at Miami.  they have history.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:59 AM, Iron Mike said:

you guys are amazing.

One guy is playing great, now you want him traded ASAP. wtf 

I'm with you.  its like folks are begging for the sun to set in the morning time. 

Lets see how Brooks, Seldon, and Mclemore play out before we worry about resigning Tyreke.  I get it though,  Tyreke has proved that he is still an elite player and he will get the payday that he's playing for this season BUT we don't know how good Mclemore is going to be.  Heck what if him, Brooks, and Seldon make even Tyreke's talents expendable?

There's a logjam now at the wing position anyway.  Let Tyreke play his heart out and our team benefit from the situation.  Wallace is smart for getting Mclemore and Seldon, two guys with things to prove for different reasons and with potential to outperform their previous two seasons.

I'm not worried about keeping Tyreke at all.  I want someone else on the roster to step up and make him expendable.  Let him get paid, he deserves it, especially if we go far in the playoffs.  Tyreke was a great pick up!

38 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Give him some $$$$

Yep! He is dam near unstoppable right now.