Kevin B Moses

The grizzlies have 2 problems with the starting unit

5 hours ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Yes, Mike and Marc should receive most of the blame, but this offense sucks. There's no structure or cohesion. No players moving w/o the ball. And too many mediocre guys are touching the ball way too much. Just like last year, we have about 3 or 4 different offenses going on.

1)Mike and Marc two-man game where the other three watches.

2)Marc's post-up where he holds the ball for 10 seconds

3)A player asks for a pick because he thinks he can go 1-on-1, only to force a bad shot. Everyone on the squad is guilty of this.

4)Of course, the Tyreke Evans Show,where the whole team tunes in to watch him dribble the air out of the ball.

The "mike off the ball" crap has resulted in a career low in assists, and little to no shots coming off screens, which was supposedly the main reason for him playing off ball to begin with.

Fizz's "free flowing" offense is nothing more than freestyling/pickup game ball.

Can't argue with that. I have no idea what fizzball is. A lot of people criticize Tyreke for going one on one but if you watch the games you'll notice it's not just Tyreke, it's Tyreke, It's Conley, it's Rio, it was Harrison, it's Brooks, etc and people just stand around. We are one of the worst assists team in the league. Also, Fizz's rotations are horrible. I mentioned that last year as well. It seems like he sometimes sits guys who are playing well and puts in guys who are playing as well. Heck, we might be better off starting our bench at this point because they are constantly getting us out of the holes that the starting unit puts us in. 

With all of that being said, if Mike and Marc were playing normally, we would have won at least half of the games we have lost so far. 

Just now, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Can't argue with that. I have no idea what fizzball is. A lot of people criticize Tyreke for going one on one but if you watch the games you'll notice it's not just Tyreke, it's Tyreke, It's Conley, it's Rio, it was Harrison, it's Brooks, etc and people just stand around. We are one of the worst assists team in the league. Also, Fizz's rotations are horrible. I mentioned that last year as well. It seems like he sometimes sits guys who are playing well and puts in guys who are playing as well. Heck, we might be better off starting our bench at this point because they are constantly getting us out of the holes that the starting unit puts us in. 

With all of that being said, if Mike and Marc were playing normally, we would have won at least half of the games we have lost so far. 

Marc hasn’t been TERRIBLE. I’ve noticed he isn’t taking those straight away threes as often.

The rotations aren’t horrible but need some tweaks.

ennis is not a spark plug player that works well with the starting lineup. 

I believe that Ben Mac is a role player best suited coming off the bench.

i think if mike continues to play like garbage you start Reke. Bring mike off the bench (however playing them both at the same time has benefits) 

the eash fix for now is to get Jam back and start Selden. If that doesn’t work then play mike and Reke in the starting lineup and let the rest work itself out.

still need a bit more offensive schemes beside the Marc and mike show or the Reke iso.

29 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Marc hasn’t been TERRIBLE. I’ve noticed he isn’t taking those straight away threes as often.

i think if mike continues to play like garbage you start Reke. Bring mike off the bench (however playing them both at the same time has benefits) 

the eash fix for now is to get Jam back and start Selden. If that doesn’t work then play mike and Reke in the starting lineup and let the rest work itself out.

still need a bit more offensive schemes beside the Marc and mike show or the Reke iso.

+1000.  Gotta see JaMyke and give Ben time to get In flow before we make full evaluation.    

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I thought Marc was gonna be MVP this year and he's never been in this shape?

Reke needs to start in place of Ennis. That starting rotation needs a punch. 

Rio, Ben/Selden, Ennis, Parsons and Wright is still a solid bench.

What’s the point of a top scoring bench unit when the starting unit needs help. It needs an alpha dog...and that’s Reke.

1 hour ago, Memfizz said:

I thought Marc was gonna be MVP this year and he's never been in this shape?

16/10/6 isn’t a bad night 🤷🏼‍♂️

6 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Where exactly did I say that Marc was terrible? i never said that nor did I imply that. 

McLemore is McLemore. You can check his track record at Sac. I would rather start Brooks at this point and JaM should help because he's better than Martin, but I don't see him changing things too much. 

I haven't been impressed with McLemore at all, but it's only been two games.  I'll give it time.  I wouldn't mind seeing what Selden could bring a little bit.

6 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

If Mike continues to play like that he should be rested until he is healthy.

23 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I'm starting to get worried about this team

I’ve been worried about this team for months. Perhaps it was fool’s gold to start the season. I hope not but I don’t see the team improving the more they play together.

It reminds me of the Tigers from a few years ago where they play street all with no coaching involved. Teams are taking away what the Grizzlies like to do and they aren’t capable of executing any other way. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I’ve been worried about this team for months. Perhaps it was fool’s gold to start the season. I hope not but I don’t see the team improving the more they play together.

It reminds me of the Tigers from a few years ago where they play street all with no coaching involved. Teams are taking away what the Grizzlies like to do and they aren’t capable of executing any other way. 

The season only started a month ago lol..

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

25 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

The season only started a month ago lol..

How long would you prefer we wait to state the obvious? 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

How long would you prefer we wait to state the obvious? 

Once everyone’s back I guess. That and they freaking play Selden. 

6 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Where exactly did I say that Marc was terrible? i never said that nor did I imply that. 

McLemore is McLemore. You can check his track record at Sac. I would rather start Brooks at this point and JaM should help because he's better than Martin, but I don't see him changing things too much. 

Wasn’t referring to you. Just quoted your post. Marc has been pretty good so far this year. 

Mike is the one not living up to expectations right now and we all know he knows it.

i truly believe mike has just been scouted to death and he is trying to much. He’s trying to be captain clutch instead of the conductor. We need the latter. 

13 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Well the way I see it is ,where would a player move to, he's got to stay out of the way of the play called, Conley may go anywhere when he is dribbling the ball, so it would seem they spot up and if someone goes to double him, he's got to hit the open man.

17 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Once everyone’s back I guess. That and they freaking play Selden. 

Selden's back. McLemore is back. Green will be back soon. Possibly as soon as Wednesday night. How long after they return can we complain about how the team is being coached or was built this past summer? 

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I haven't been impressed with McLemore at all, but it's only been two games.  I'll give it time.  I wouldn't mind seeing what Selden could bring a little bit.

If Mike continues to play like that he should be rested until he is healthy.

Or until he regains his shooting touch, whichever comes last.

24 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Selden's back. McLemore is back. Green will be back soon. Possibly as soon as Wednesday night. How long after they return can we complain about how the team is being coached or was built this past summer? 

Can't start complaining until April. It takes time for this stuff to jell, it's not like it is Jell O.

1 GAME. ;)

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Coach may need to start the 2nd unit. I would like to see him do that for 1 game. Fiz may not have the testicles Lionel had, he did yank the entire starting unit out a couple of times.

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Coach may need to start the 2nd unit. I would like to see him do that for 1 game. Fiz may not have the testicles Lionel had, he did yank the entire starting unit out a couple of times.

Pops would do something like that. I remember when he benched his starting 5 early in a playoff game against the Grizzlies when they weren't giving him the effort he expected. 

I guess Pops doesn't care about player salaries as much as other coaches. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there.  

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Pops would do something like that. I remember when he benched his starting 5 early in a playoff game against the Grizzlies when they weren't giving him the effort he expected. 

I guess Pops doesn't care about player salaries as much as other coaches. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there.  

yeah but they lost

And he copped heat for throwing a game away.

Granted they did win the series though....

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I believe the 2nd unit can beat the starters.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:35 AM, The REF said:

Ha Ha

Brian Cardinal......ha ha  Boy those were the rough days!  LOL.

Wheew!  Sssssssh

Days were rough, but the boards was at its best.

Can't say I want it back that way though. lol

Listened to Peter Edmiston's podcast and gave a run down of all the players issues.

Mike - Out maybe for 2 weeks

Rio - minutes restriction

Parsons - minutes restriction, soreness

Marc - still dealing with ankle

Dillon - knee soreness

Wayne - mins restriction - conditioning

Ben - minutes restriction - conditioning

JaM - minutes restriction - conditioning

Only guys not dealing with any limitations are Brandan, Tyreke, and Ennis.  

Dang that is rough to have to navigate and makes it difficult to get a consistent rotation.

However, we can't afford slow start again against HOU.     Starting lineup needs better chemistry 

Starters: Rio + Ennis + Parsons + JaM + Gasol    

Bench: Reke + Ben + Brooks + Wright

Selden probably needs to be odd man out for now.  Too difficult trying to get both he and Ben going.