Sign in to follow this  
Grizz&Grind

Memphis Hustle

For those that are interested - went to the game last night.

Very affordable tickets.

Arena is nice all things considered (obviously not the Forum, but cozy and comfortable). Right off of 55 too, easy access. Standard concession fare.

Mildly attended, wish there was a bit more of a crowd, but understand it is what it is.

PA system was cranked WAY too loud for the place.

Hustle looked good - nice floor, nice unis, etc.

Rabb played well,  Burrell played well, looks like they have McLemore on a minutes restriction. And Simmons played well too. Rabb just needs time and to work on his physique. He has a soft touch, uses both hands and has a nose for the ball. I'm not saying all-star, but he can definitely contribute to the team.

And in three weeks (day after Thanksgiving) they will play a game at the FedEx Forum.

Anyway - that's just my thoughts for those that are interested. If you like basketball and want to see future Grizz, I'd recommend going to a few games.

I was there too and I couldn't agree more. McLemore didn't appear to know the plays in the 1st quarter and wasn't interested in playing defense. His ball handling left a lot to be desired as well. In the 2nd half he seemed more determined and played a bit better defense but his ball handling was still frightful. 

I was very pleased with Ivan Rabb's performance. He needs a ton of physical development (strength) because he was easily pushed off the block down low repeatedly but the man can rebound and has a nice touch on his shots. I think if Rabb can handle more muscle and weight he could be a serious NBA player.

Kobi Simmons came back from an early scare where a SLC player cut his legs diving for a ball to play really well. His shot from distance isn't picture perfect and he could work on correcting that but it is still effective and he has some serious speed, makes great passes and has talent. He needs to focus more on making smart plays than fancy ones but I was impressed. 

Vince Hunter is all energy and effort but every team needs a player like that. He isn't really an NBA type player but with his work ethic he should have a solid professional career overseas once his dream of the NBA dies. 

Jordan Crawford is going to be a fan favorite. He's maybe 5'5" but has speed and a serious attitude that gets under opponents skin and he makes the smart play on offense. Clearly he will struggle getting his shot off due to his height but he can make it when left open. 

It's not the NBA by any means and the players seem more interested in making themselves look good than play a team concept but it is cheap entertainment that is nearly NBA level talent with some future NBA players mixed in. 

Is Rabb left or right handed?

I thought he was right handed based on some jumpers, but he made several baskets with his left - when a guy can use both hands around the rim, that's gold.

The Memphis Hustle overcame a slow start to earn the first win in franchise history, 102-99, Sunday against the Salt Lake City Stars in another nail biter at Landers Center.

After a fast start the previous night, Memphis fell behind 25-12 with 2:52 remaining in the first quarter but would chip away at the lead to pull within one by halftime and would eventually lead by as many as nine. The game was tied at 81-81 with 9:32 remaining when the Hustle went on an 8-0 run over the next 4:32 and would not trail the rest of the game.

The Hustle secured the win despite being outshot significantly from behind the three-point line. Salt Lake City knocked down 13-of-30 (.433) while Memphis managed to shoot just 5-of-27 (.185). The Hustle made up for that difference on the boards (55-40), including a 20-9 advantage on the offensive glass.

Three Hustle players recorded double-doubles, including Ivan Rabb (16 points, 12 rebounds) for the second consecutive game. Vince Hunter (13 points, 12 rebounds) and Trahson Burrell (20 points, 14 rebounds) recorded the other two. Rabb and Hunter each had three blocks. In addition, six Hustle players reach double figure scoring, including Marquis Teague (16 points), Kobi Simmons (13 points) and Omari Johnson (12 points).

Eric Griffin had a big night for Salt Lake City, recording 25 points on 9-of-12 shooting (2-of-3 3P) to go with seven rebounds and three blocks. Nate Wolters posted 16 points along with eight assists and six rebounds. Naz Mitrou-Long (14 points), Brannen Greene (13 points) and Dakarai Allen(12 points) also scored in double digits.

The Hustle return to action with its third straight home game on Friday, November 10 at 7 p.m. against the defending Western Conference champion Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Tickets are still available starting at $10 and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at all Ticketmaster locations, ticketmaster.com,

I tried to watch the game on Facebook live but the constant stream of likes and comments was too annoying in a small cellphone screen. I'll try next game on a large screen.

Question: Does Rabb have the body frame  to put on significant muscle?

8 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

He does look narrow - like John Henson and similar.

That's the impression I got but it's hard to judge from pictures only. Thanks.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

I tried to watch the game on Facebook live but the constant stream of likes and comments was too annoying in a small cellphone screen. I'll try next game on a large screen.

Question: Does Rabb have the body frame  to put on significant muscle?

I think he does. He isn’t frail like Henson. He just looks like he hasn’t had the proper conditioning work needed yet.

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

the constant stream of likes and comments was too annoying in a small cellphone screen. 

Yeah I couldn't handle it. They need to fix that.

I only live like 5 minutes away from the Landers Center so I have no excuse not to catch a couple games

10 hours ago, VikingWarrior said:

It's going to be interesting to follow Rabb this year. 

He looked good in the game tonight. And he was talking smack lol

3 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Seldon looked great in limited minutes too. 

Yep. Bullying folks lol. Teague pulled a Rio at the end lol. Tried to do too much.

I wanna root for DD so bad man. But he just seems so disinterested to me.

1 hour ago, tjazz22 said:

Yep. Bullying folks lol. Teague pulled a Rio at the end lol. Tried to do too much.

I wanna root for DD so bad man. But he just seems so disinterested to me.

He does look that way, but I don't care.  I only want to see improvement.  I don't set too much store by big emotional displays (not saying you do), just real contributions.

53 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

He does look that way, but I don't care.  I only want to see improvement.  I don't set too much store by big emotional displays (not saying you do), just real contributions.

For his style of play I think you have to be pumped up to be effective. He isnt a finesse player. He has to be a banger.

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

For his style of play I think you have to be pumped up to be effective. He isnt a finesse player. He has to be a banger.

That's what I'm saying. Seemed like he got mad in the game and he had a nice spurt at one point. But until then. He seems to just loaf around. Not saying he has to beat his chest or anything. But when I think improvement for HIM. I look for quicker rotations, "stouter" boxouts (If you know what I mean), going after rebounds aggressively, things like that. Especially in the G League.

I see it in Rabb. He's just scrawny lol. 

Rabb has one of those Theo Ratliff body types and games to me tho. 

2 hours ago, tjazz22 said:

Rabb has one of those Theo Ratliff body types and games to me tho. 

I like that comparison. Hopefully he can become as good of shot blocker as Theodore.

42 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Wayne Selden looked good. That slam though 🤫

I hope Seldon can put it all together. He has all the tools to be special

2 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

I like that comparison. Hopefully he can become as good of shot blocker as Theodore.

Me too lol. But that's who he reminds me of. Body and all. Rabb can be a good screen setter in the pnr, rebound, block shots on help D. 

He'll never be a banger. So just be active and cover the guards mistakes. I'm good with that