Sign in to follow this  
oldmanGrizz

Conley/Gasol Questionable for Orlando plus other updates

Mike Conley (sore left Achilles) and Marc Gasol (left ankle) are questionable for Wednesday game vs. Orlando Magic

Also....

Memphis Grizzlies as of Tuesday, October 31, 2017.

JaMychal Green - On Opening Night JaMychal Green suffered a sprain of his left foot/ankle. He is progressing well and continuing his rehab currently, while also beginning light court work. He is expected to return to game action in approximately two weeks.

Ben McLemore – Ben McLemore is continuing to rehab the fracture of his right fifth metatarsal and has returned to full practice, including contact drills. He is expected to return to game action in approximately two weeks.

Wayne Selden – Wayne Selden is continuing to progress as he rehabs his right quad tendinopathy. He is progressing back into limited practice activities and his status remains day-to-day.

As i said in the previous game post, sit both Mike and Marc for the next week or so. Be as conservative as possible right now since we're so early in the season. 

53 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

As i said in the previous game post, sit both Mike and Marc for the next week or so. Be as conservative as possible right now since we're so early in the season. 

Might be a smart move, especially for a road trip.  However, I wonder how skeptical fans would be if they both missed 5 games based on how injuries have been (under) reported in the past.

Lot of momentum would be lost when people realize that the Griz are 6 and 6 after starting so hot.

Sounds like the Grizzlies injury history hasn't changed. 

luckily we started out hot as it looks like we may have rough stretch 

mike needs a rest or something- he looked horrible last game- someone said he looked like wade Baldwin light lol that was spot on

Significant issues here. Gasol needs to get shut down and prepped for a trade (which should have happened this summer. I think Gasol for LaMarcus Aldridge Straight up could have been done). Shut him down and shop him for a scorer or some picks. Conley needs to rest that Achilles.

15 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Significant issues here. Gasol needs to get shut down and prepped for a trade (which should have happened this summer. I think Gasol for LaMarcus Aldridge Straight up could have been done). Shut him down and shop him for a scorer or some picks. Conley needs to rest that Achilles.

Out of your **** mind. Maybe a year from now. But you don’t shop him when you have the deepest team you have ever had surrounding him. 

Period. End of discussion. No debate.

6 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Out of your **** mind. Maybe a year from now. But you don’t shop him when you have the deepest team you have ever had surrounding him. 

Period. End of discussion. No debate.

The depth of this team is precisely why you should consider a trade for Gasol. They are close to being a really good team and a serious contender.  Gasol is taking up significant cap space and the team needs more consistent production from his spot. If it wasn't this injury then it would have been something else to account for his inconsistent play. The team needs consistent scoring and rebounding and that's not something Gasol has demonstrated throughout his career. But, he is a valuable trade asset.

A team like the Spurs run a system that is perfectly suited for him, and he wouldn't be counted on for primary scoring, which is not his strong suit. I think this Summer, the Grizz could have gotten Aldridge for Gasol, but now not so sure. I think last year, Gasol and Cousins could have been a straight up trade. But now I think they should just see who bites. If they are serious about contending, they can't stand pat with Gasol. He doesn't give enough production to actually help this team contend.

14 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

The depth of this team is precisely why you should consider a trade for Gasol. They are close to being a really good team and a serious contender.  Gasol is taking up significant cap space and the team needs more consistent production from his spot. If it wasn't this injury then it would have been something else to account for his inconsistent play. The team needs consistent scoring and rebounding and that's not something Gasol has demonstrated throughout his career. But, he is a valuable trade asset.

A team like the Spurs run a system that is perfectly suited for him, and he wouldn't be counted on for primary scoring, which is not his strong suit. I think this Summer, the Grizz could have gotten Aldridge for Gasol, but now not so sure. I think last year, Gasol and Cousins could have been a straight up trade. But now I think they should just see who bites. If they are serious about contending, they can't stand pat with Gasol. He doesn't give enough production to actually help this team contend.

More consistent production? He’s had two bad games and you consider that not consistent? Ok then. He’s having his best year so far putting up 24/11 and you think you need more production? Ok then.

also, furthermore, Gasol has made it know he used to let ZBO and others rebound because it was something he wasn’t focused on. He’s already almost had as many double doubles this year as he did all of last year. Think about that. 

You are out of your mind. You want more production out of his spot? Who you want? Dwight Howard? DeMarcus Cousins? No IQ and all stats?

Gasol is the reason why this team wins. 

Aldridge has gotten owned by Gasol. Never been better than Marc. EVER. Never will be. 

Thats not rose colored glasses. That’s the truth. I want to know what crack your smoking. Because it’s beyond good. 

If we wanted to trade Gasol you better get more than Aldridge. You will definitely get more than just DeMarcus. 

There is no better center in this league than Marc right now. You keep him.

You let Selden, MAC, and Jam get back in the rotation and you go for the chip if the rest of the team can stay healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

More consistent production? He’s had two bad games and you consider that not consistent? Ok then. He’s having his best year so far putting up 24/11 and you think you need more production? Ok then.

also, furthermore, Gasol has made it know he used to let ZBO and others rebound because it was something he wasn’t focused on. He’s already almost had as many double doubles this year as he did all of last year. Think about that. 

You are it of your mind. You want more production out of his spot? Who you want? Dwight Howard? DeMarcus Cousins? No IQ and all stats?

Aldridge has gotten owned by Gasol. Never been better than Marc. EVER. Never will be. 

Thats not rose colored glasses. That’s the truth. I want to know what crack your smoking. Because it’s beyond good. 

Mid we wanted to trade Gasol you better get More than Aldridge. You will definitely get more than just DeMarcus. 

^^^^

Im glad you said this cause I thought it was just me. 

14 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

You are out of your mind. You want more production out of his spot? Who you want? Dwight Howard? DeMarcus Cousins? No IQ and all stats?

If we wanted to trade Gasol you better get more than Aldridge. You will definitely get more than just DeMarcus. 

There is no better center in this league than Marc right now. You keep him.

You let Selden, MAC, and Jam get back in the rotation and you go for the chip if the rest of the team can stay healthy. 

Seems like I touched a nerve here. Are you Gasol's agent? LOL!!! If we took a survey around the league, most GM's would say that Gasol is not the same player as Aldridge, that they bring different attributes to the center position. And, depending on the roster and playing style, Aldridge would suit more teams better than Gasol.  Aldridge has more of traditional center's game, with a some good range on his jump shot. Aldridge averages 19.3 and 8.3 for his career. Gasol has more of a European skill set and prefers the high post/ back court game. Gasol averages 15 and 7. They are both the same age. To patently state that Gasol is better than Aldridge is speaking strictly through Grizz colored glasses.

If the Grizz had more consistent scoring and rebounding on the team (like when they had Z-Bo), then Gasol is a better fit . But, now that Z-Bo is gone, the Grizz are asking/expecting Gasol to do things that he simply hasn't done in the past, like be the team leader  and alpha option. He has shown time and time again that is not him. Aldridge was the man in Portland, and struggled last year with not being the man in SA. With Leonard out this year, he has stepped up, but we know he can be counted on to do that. Gasol? not so much. Gasol's play has been inconsistent throughout his career. He will score 30 maybe 5-10 times a season, and he will score 10-12 about 30 times a season, and the rest of the games, he can give you 15-25 points and 5-7 rebounds. That is not enough consistent production given the line up of this year's Grizz.  Going by the data, one would be a fool not to attempt to see if Aldridge could be had in a trade for Gasol.   

Gasol never had to score or be the dominant player with ZBO in the lineup. Two edged sword from 2011-2014. Aldridge has always been the go to. You are overlooking that. 

See, this is why I hate stats. You have to reference them with the corresponding reasons as to why they were that way. 

As you can see, with Marc being the go to guy the past two seasons you have now seen him put up 20 points or more a game. This season, because of lack of rebounding you now see his rebounding numbers skyrocketing. This also points to his multiple double doubles already his season. 

as a matter of fact, Aldridge and Gasol pretty much have the same game with Gasol and him operating mostly from the elbow in the recent years. Gasol has always had a decent three point shot and it is finally being utilized in these past couple of seasons giving Marc the ability to do something Aldridge can’t. Space he floor as a Center. 

Aldridge is not a traditional center. He has always operated from the elbow like Marc. He just has been in the paint more ham Marc but that’s essentially a wash with ZBO and Gasol being a tandem for years.

dont talk to me about basketball boi. I’ll school the ever living daylights out of you. 

P.S. even with Aldridge being the MAN in Portland he got his *** handed to him every time he played Memphis. Could never carry the team past the first round, and had Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum on his team. You pair them with Marc and it’s over with. 

Aldridge has never been an ALPHA player. Ever. 

Aldridge is my boy. I’ve watched him since he was in college. That is not a player you want to argue with me about. 

If your next argument is Cousins, then I’m not even going to respond. 

I gaurantee you this too, if we offered San Antonio Marc Gasol, they would be more than willing to part ways with Aldridge right now along with 1-2 more players and a pick. Greg popovich has wanted to trade Aldrich since the middle of last season and giving them Marc assures them a spot in the Finals with Leonard and him paired together. 

This is funny. Mav makes all these claims, yet doesn't want to use stats to back them up. That is the sign of a logical fallacy and a weak argument, simply appealing to emotions. Well, truly intelligent people make claims supported by factual evidence, not emotions and ad hominem attacks.

Fact- Over the last two years, even as Aldridge has not been the go to man on his team and Gasol was counted on to be the man, Aldridge put up 18 and 8.5 in 2015-2016 and 17.3 and 7.3 in 2016-2017. Gasol put up 16 and 7 in 2015-2016 and 19 and 6.3 in 2016-2017. You mentioned that over the last two years, Gasol was supposed to be the man on the Grizz and we see the numbers he put up. Aldridge's last 2 years in Portland he put up 23 and 10 and 23 and 11. You can yell, threat, cry and moan, but one thing numbers don't do are lie. Gasol has never put up 20 and 10 for a season. The Grizz need at least that if they want to contend. That's my only argument. Aldridge can do that, the jury is still out on whether Gasol can.

Maybe Gasol has other advantages over Aldridge like passing and defense, but I think Aldridge is easily better at putting the ball in the hole at a more efficient rate, especially one on one on the block, which means something in this league. To say that Gasol over Aldridge automatically puts the Spurs over Golden State is a somewhat questionable statement as well, especially given Gasols tendencies to shrink as tough playoff series go on.

And if they want to dump Aldridge...why did he just get an extension?

1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

This is funny. Mav makes all these claims, yet doesn't want to use stats to back them up. That is the sign of a logical fallacy and a weak argument, simply appealing to emotions. Well, truly intelligent people make claims supported by factual evidence, not emotions and ad hominem attacks.

Fact- Over the last two years, even as Aldridge has not been the go to man on his team and Gasol was counted on to be the man, Aldridge put up 18 and 8.5 in 2015-2016 and 17.3 and 7.3 in 2016-2017. Gasol put up 16 and 7 in 2015-2016 and 19 and 6.3 in 2016-2017. You mentioned that over the last two years, Gasol was supposed to be the man on the Grizz and we see the numbers he put up. Aldridge's last 2 years in Portland he put up 23 and 10 and 23 and 11. You can yell, threat, cry and moan, but one thing numbers don't do are lie. Gasol has never put up 20 and 10 for a season. The Grizz need at least that if they want to contend. That's my only argument. Aldridge can do that, the jury is still out on whether Gasol can.

You just proved my point with your own stats 🤷‍♂️. In the past two years Gasol has out performed Aldridge when given the ball.  You can’t back up the stats with reasons as to why they were he way they were or are you seemingly leaving out the fact that a ZBO was still a point of emphasis on the team even coming off of the bench.

This year Gasol is averaging 24 points 11 rebounds compared to 23 points and 8 rebound to Aldridge. Granted these past two games have dropped his stats but the nice thing is that he wasn’t technically needed even then.

Now let’s talk playoffs (DWASH)The past two seasons.

Aldridge 

21.9/8.3/1.5 and 16.5/7.4/1.0

Gasol

19.7/10/4.5 and 19/6.5/4.2

DWASH it’s easy for you to say that Gasol shrinks come playoff time but he really doesn’t. As the series wears on typically they focus more on him because it was easy to lay off of everyone else but Mike Conley. 

I expect if we make the playoffs this year for that not to be the case. We are deeper than we have EVER been. 

Aldridge has had the benefit of playing next to superstars his entire career. His teams have always been deeper than ours as well. This plays a major role regardless if Blackwatch wants to admit it or not lol.

your turn Balckwatch. I can continue. I love a good debate where I know I’m going to win 😁.

Dwash there were reports of them trying to trade Aldridge before the extension happened. I may be wrong but I remember it from somewhere 🤷‍♂️. 

I believe that Gasol with his passing IQ and ability to take his game to the three point line will put the Spurs over the top. I wouldn’t mind seeing him there. 

My point is simple. This is the year you lay it all out. If this team remains healthy and you can’t make a deep run with a team consisting of Reke, Chalmers, Parsons, Brooks, Ennis, Selden, Jam, Conley, Martin, Wright, Ben Mac then you make the move to trade him next season.

nobody expected Martin to take the step he has, Brooks has turned out to be a rookie who we could technically start (when’s the last time you had that), Reke is healthy, Parsons is showing signs of life, Chalmers gives mike the ability to play off ball as well as Reke. 

Selden and Mac are the keys to take us over the top. If they produce then we are set. 

Also, keep in mind that Marc is considered a late bloomer in the league. He wasn’t called or even expected to be what he is and didn’t develop into what he is until really about 2014-2015. Even at that point it wasn’t until last year when Marc made the jump by using his 3pt shot to extend his game to where it is now. So those years before where I was BEGGING for them to let Marc shoot from three he would have had a few seasons putting up 20+ a year as well. 

Defensively, Marc has been the better of the two as well. 

Also, just for reference on this, at that point 2013-2016 in the playoffs Randolph was still a major factor paired with Gasol which took away a lot of what Marc is having to do these past two seasons.

To give reference on how big a deal Zach affected Marc’s game here are the stats from those playoffs 

2013-2014 

Zach 18.2/9   Marc 17/8

2014-2015

Zach 15.5/8.5  Marc 19.7/10.3

2015-2016 

Zach 13/9 Marc 

2016-2017

Zach 13/8 Marc 19/6.5

Marcs stats for 2015-2016 aren’t on basketball reference for the playoffs.

there isn’t another pair in the league playing in that close of proximity taking up that much space that has done that in a long while. 

I truly believe that Marc was being set back by Zach towards the end and that Marc was letting ZBO stat pad rebounds. He let them have it because he just cared about winning. 

Refular season stats will probably show the same. 

Aldridge is known to Be just as much of shrinking violet in the playoffs as Marc.   LA better scorer MG better all around 2way player.    

Sorry im taking the 2way player that's makes this even around him better every time.   Neither one are alpha guys.

Why does everyone keep saying Marc is averaging 24/11?  He's at 20.1/9.7 per game.

Don't get me wrong though.  If it comes to Gasol vs. Aldridge I'm taking Gasol all day long.  Aldridge only does one thing - shoot jumpers.  He isn't even close to being a traditional center.

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why does everyone keep saying Marc is averaging 24/11?  He's at 20.1/9.7 per game.

Don't get me wrong though.  If it comes to Gasol vs. Aldridge I'm taking Gasol all day long.  Aldridge only does one thing - shoot jumpers.  He isn't even close to being a traditional center.

Last two games brought it down with the single digit games. I believe those are going to be far and few between this year

20 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Aldridge is known to Be just as much of shrinking violet in the playoffs as Marc.   LA better scorer MG better all around 2way player.    

Sorry im taking the 2way player that's makes this even around him better every time.   Neither one are alpha guys.

I never said he didnt. I question why someone thinks that Gasol over Aldridge suddenly vaults them over Golden State. Gasol will improve the defense, but the Warriors likely wont respect his post game that much (as teams have shown before) and wont be as afraid to let the Greens and Durants guard him on one on one, so they can stay in the small lineup. Aldridge is a tougher dilemna for small bigs.