BHZMAFIA

Marc's Ceiling Elevated due to Zbo's Absence?

57 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

In reference to rebounding this year, marc said something interesting. He said he didnt care about it and he let his teammates who needed those stats get them.

It is conceivable that the same applies to zbo and offense. He let his brother get those stats.

Where did Gasol say that? 

2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

After 3 games, really? I like what the team has done so far, but I see glaring weaknesses in rebounding and post D that will become more apparent as teams get more tape on this squad. I think they have a higher ceiling than the Core 4 squads in the past, simply because more young guns are getting some PT, but I'm still concerned about post play in general. IF Gasol can keep this level of play , then this team can go far, but that is a BIG IF !!!

People forget how dominant Gasol started last season too. He averaged 20.6 PPG before the all-star break but finished at 16.2 PPG after the break. This season is great and I hope his new conditioning and diet will continue for the full year but after only 3 games it's a bit premature to assume he won't fade. He played all summer after all.  

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

People forget how dominant Gasol started last season too. He averaged 20.6 PPG before the all-star break but finished at 16.2 PPG after the break. This season is great and I hope his new conditioning and diet will continue for the full year but after only 3 games it's a bit premature to assume he won't fade. He played all summer after all.  

It was in an interview when they asked him about rebounding i believe. Look through commercial appeal or grindcity

19 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

It was in an interview when they asked him about rebounding i believe. Look through commercial appeal or grindcity

When? After last night's game? This month? This summer? 

You're quoting habits have been called into question in the past. Perhaps it would be helpful if you found the quote before quoting it. 

I've searched the Commercial Appeal, Grind City Media and even google searched "Marc Gasol rebounding" and can't find anything even remotely close to what you claim he said but I am open to reading what he did say if you can find it.  

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

When? After last night's game? This month? This summer? 

You're quoting habits have been called into question in the past. Perhaps it would be helpful if you found the quote before quoting it. 

I've searched the Commercial Appeal, Grind City Media and even google searched "Marc Gasol rebounding" and can't find anything even remotely close to what you claim he said but I am open to reading what he did say if you can find it.  

I dont know man im working, do some googing and find it

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

I dont know man im working, do some googing and find it

As I said I did Google and can’t find it. You made the comment. Are you saying you made it up or can you show where it came from? I’m not accusing you but you have twisted quotes in the past to serve your own interests. 

8 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Hehehehe, not exactly his first post... :P

KBM doesn't care about things like that. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Where did Gasol say that? 

Gasol said that in an interview during preseason.   KBM is recalling correctly.  Gasol has made several comments over the years in regards to his teammates stat chasing. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Gasol said that in an interview during preseason.   KBM is recalling correctly.  Gasol has made several comments over the years in regards to his teammates stat chasing. 

Where? 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

In Memphis

Can someone find a link to show where Marc said something to the effect of "In reference to rebounding this year, marc said something interesting. He said he didnt care about it and he let his teammates who needed those stats get them."

4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

After 3 games, really? I like what the team has done so far, but I see glaring weaknesses in rebounding and post D that will become more apparent as teams get more tape on this squad. I think they have a higher ceiling than the Core 4 squads in the past, simply because more young guns are getting some PT, but I'm still concerned about post play in general. IF Gasol can keep this level of play , then this team can go far, but that is a BIG IF !!!

You need to shoot 60% from 2 to match 40% from three (basically).  For shots within 3 feet of the basket (layups) most players shoot around 60%.  For shots from 3 to 10 feet from the basket the number of folks that shoot 60% drop a LOT.  In fact, last year's Grizzly team had no players shoot 60% from anywhere beyond 3 feet.  So to an extent I agree with what you are saying there...but just in terms of numbers I totally see why there is the push for some squads to shoot a 3 or a layup and take out the extended mid range game.  Just looking at the numbers it seems pretty clear that the %'s drop off really hard from 3 feet and further out to the point of a decent 3 point shooter should outpace the play.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Can someone find a link to show where Marc said something to the effect of "In reference to rebounding this year, marc said something interesting. He said he didnt care about it and he let his teammates who needed those stats get them."

It was said. Don’t care to look it up but remember it. 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Hehehehe, not exactly his first post... :P

Oh man!!! LOL... Yes I was a regular poster ages ago,  I must confess that I have been following others NBA teams also but the Grizz are always in my heart...

Nice to see guys like @chipc3 still over here, he is a legend! ;-)

7 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

There was that one play last nite where Gordon literally pushed Gasol out of the lane on a post up. No way that should have happened. And that is what I am concerned about with the post play for the Grizz. They do not have a Lebron on the wing nor a Curry in the backcourt. Their strength will be post play in playing those elite teams in the West. Gasol is skilled, but not strong enough and intentional enough to dominate a game from the post. That's what they are gonna need in order for them to compete this year.

Your continued criticism of Gasol is really even more impressive than Gasol's dominant start to the season.

You're on record saying a number of things about Gasol as well as about the nature of the post game or the "center" position in the NBA and, apparently, you are convinced that Gasol seems to be both not good enough at being a back-to-the-basket bruiser and not good enough at being a "modern" or "stretch 5." Although your comments about Gasol's relative ability are pretty much indefensible on their face, I'll indulge to the extent that you do seem to have attempted to place those criticisms within a context of your understanding about the modern post game or center position. So, for example, in this thread you have stated (for some reason) that the Grizzlies would somehow be theoretically better of with a more traditional low post player with a strong back-to-the-basket game than with Gasol, even playing at the level that he is now.

Assuming I'm generally understanding you correctly, I just can't fathom where this idea is coming from, other than that it must be related somehow to resentment over the departure of Zach Randolph. And reading your other posts about Zach, this is my best working guess as to what your true axe to grind against Gasol is really all about.

That said, if we were to assume for a moment that you really did want to have a conversation about the nature of the modern post game in today's NBA, and how the Grizzlies should utilize the current lineup, I would point this out: For much of the game against the Rockets, the Rockets played no center. For many stretches, the "5" in their lineup was either Trevor Ariza or Ryan Anderson. Gasol, contrary to what you seem to have taken away, played very well against those lineups (style aside, the substance of what Gasol produced speaks for itself, whether he faded away over Gordon, or had instead bully-balled him to the basket, as you seem to prefer your two points be scored).

However, the Grizzlies REALLY struggled for a stretch in the second half when Fizz went with Brandan Wright at the 5, against a Rockets lineup that featured no center. Wright wasn't rebounding (too far from the basket, drawn out to the perimeter to guard a shooter), wasn't blocking shots, and wasn't scoring. He really was out there for no reason. He tried one post-up against the mismatch, which was an epic failure. Fizz eventually called timeout and made the substitution. That was around about the time he settled on a smaller lineup and no Andrew Harrison to finish the game.

It was very apparent in that game that, with a certain kind of player, a lineup that features no center can really be exploited. Gasol is one of those players. But, without a certain kind of player, a lineup that features no center can really cause problems. Brandan Wright was a liability in those instances. In future, I believe, Fizzdale will be quicker to go to someone like Jarrell Martin or JaMychal Green, than try to make it work with Wright. 

Man, BHZMafia, you beat me to it.

I was coming here to drop off some crazy sounding title like "Reverse Osmosis (or how Marc Gasol backed into Beast Mode)" or something crazy like that.

I think suggesting Z-bo being gone is only part of the equation.  The other is that, the way this team is assembled this year, I think Mike and Marc had to look around and say "guess if this season is going to mean anything it's up to us".  

Gasol hates being "the guy", but he hates losing more.  And honestly, no matter how well this assembly works out, unless Mike and Marc at least attempt a Herculean effort, night in and night out, we're not going to win many games.  I am assuming Fizz has told them as much.  I mean think about it; if they each drop 25 a night, that's still only 50 points.  Gasol's not an imbecile.  So he is becoming the BEAST we all know he can, but I think he's doing it not out of a desire to be dominant, but realizing he has no choice in the matter.  I think Mike is doing sort of the same thing, but we already saw some of that happening last season with him.  Now it's Marc's turn.  And together, they have to realize time is rapidly becoming the enemy.

If this is true, Parsons coming on slowly could be a blessing in disguise.  The more ascendant players we have on this team, the more tempting it will be for Marc to facilitate and only hang his hat on the defensive end.  We have to have this guy, just like this.

Remember when Fizz first came to town?  He had dinner with two, and only two players - Mike and Marc.  They aren't Stockton/Malone, but they don't have to be - they just have to be the best versions of Mike and Marc, and demand that the rest of the team try to keep up with them, and our team will be fine.  

In fact, I had this thought today - if we are winning enough early on, why can't we have two players in the ASG?  These guys keep playing like this, at the very least they'll be the most deserving not playing that weekend.

57 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

Your continued criticism of Gasol is really even more impressive than Gasol's dominant start to the season.

You're on record saying a number of things about Gasol as well as about the nature of the post game or the "center" position in the NBA and, apparently, you are convinced that Gasol seems to be both not good enough at being a back-to-the-basket bruiser and not good enough at being a "modern" or "stretch 5." Although your comments about Gasol's relative ability are pretty much indefensible on their face, I'll indulge to the extent that you do seem to have attempted to place those criticisms within a context of your understanding about the modern post game or center position. So, for example, in this thread you have stated (for some reason) that the Grizzlies would somehow be theoretically better of with a more traditional low post player with a strong back-to-the-basket game than with Gasol, even playing at the level that he is now.

Assuming I'm generally understanding you correctly, I just can't fathom where this idea is coming from, other than that it must be related somehow to resentment over the departure of Zach Randolph. And reading your other posts about Zach, this is my best working guess as to what your true axe to grind against Gasol is really all about.

That said, if we were to assume for a moment that you really did want to have a conversation about the nature of the modern post game in today's NBA, and how the Grizzlies should utilize the current lineup, I would point this out: For much of the game against the Rockets, the Rockets played no center. For many stretches, the "5" in their lineup was either Trevor Ariza or Ryan Anderson. Gasol, contrary to what you seem to have taken away, played very well against those lineups (style aside, the substance of what Gasol produced speaks for itself, whether he faded away over Gordon, or had instead bully-balled him to the basket, as you seem to prefer your two points be scored).

However, the Grizzlies REALLY struggled for a stretch in the second half when Fizz went with Brandan Wright at the 5, against a Rockets lineup that featured no center. Wright wasn't rebounding (too far from the basket, drawn out to the perimeter to guard a shooter), wasn't blocking shots, and wasn't scoring. He really was out there for no reason. He tried one post-up against the mismatch, which was an epic failure. Fizz eventually called timeout and made the substitution. That was around about the time he settled on a smaller lineup and no Andrew Harrison to finish the game.

It was very apparent in that game that, with a certain kind of player, a lineup that features no center can really be exploited. Gasol is one of those players. But, without a certain kind of player, a lineup that features no center can really cause problems. Brandan Wright was a liability in those instances. In future, I believe, Fizzdale will be quicker to go to someone like Jarrell Martin or JaMychal Green, than try to make it work with Wright. 

It is so apparent that you are being unbiased and laying out a well thought out discussion as opposed to a emotional reaction. Even suggesting swapping Boogie for Gasol completely ignores the reality of chemistry and fit. I’m not a great basketball mind in the least, but it’s painfully obvious to me the Cousins would not improve the Grizz if he replaced Gasol. 

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Apparently no one can find it but a few people seem to believe it happened. I never saw it, heard it and I can’t find it anywhere including the places those quoting suggest it came from.

However I CBA find numerous examples of Fizdale and Gasol saying that Marc needs to rebound more than in previous seasons. In these interviews it is never suggested that Marc allowed others to get rebounds to pad others stats or anything else. They simply say Marc needs to focus more on rebounding. Perhaps, until someone can find where he said that he deliberately didn’t go for rebounds to make help out others, we should stick to the comments that are easily found and repeated by multiple sources. 

31 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Apparently no one can find it but a few people seem to believe it happened. I never saw it, heard it and I can’t find it anywhere including the places those quoting suggest it came from.

However I CBA find numerous examples of Fizdale and Gasol saying that Marc needs to rebound more than in previous seasons. In these interviews it is never suggested that Marc allowed others to get rebounds to pad others stats or anything else. They simply say Marc needs to focus more on rebounding. Perhaps, until someone can find where he said that he deliberately didn’t go for rebounds to make help out others, we should stick to the comments that are easily found and repeated by multiple sources. 

This is how "fake news" becomes accepted reality.

Not saying I dont believe it was said, but it is not unreasonable in today's world to ask for a reference or fact check.....

Cmon guys "fake news" "agenda" really???

you have 3 different posters saying they heard it in an interview and because Chip didn't witness it personally then we are all lying.

chip I'd  pay to see you during Jury duty.   LOL 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I know that both Parrish and Calkins have referenced the interview on their radio shows. Actual attribution to a specific article is not at my fingertips. 

Marc did this last season...for about a month. Y’all got short memories. If he is in the MVP talk in January, I’ll be impressed

58 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Marc did this last season...for about a month. Y’all got short memories. If he is in the MVP talk in January, I’ll be impressed

I’m sure most of us can remember but we can still hope sir