Hello all, first post on the board. Does anyone have updates on Ben and Wayne? I know JAM will be sidelined for a few weeks, just didn't know if anyone had information. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and/or if someone has answered in the past. Go Grizz!

Welcome!

Wayne has just been dealing with a strained quad. Should be back next game. Havent heard much about about Benny Mac's foot. I did read a tweet that he was seen dunking at the end of practice. 

5 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Welcome!

Wayne has just been dealing with a strained quad. Should be back next game. Havent heard much about about Benny Mac's foot. I did read a tweet that he was seen dunking at the end of practice. 

6 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Welcome!

Much appreciated!

As far as BennyMac, the original timeline was that he would be out 12 weeks (3 months) after the surgery. He had the surgery in early August so early November sounds about right but I wouldn't rush him back out there. I would expect him to be back by mid-November but he could be back earlier. It would concern me if it was later.

As far as Selden goes, i think he's day to day in the truest sense of the term. He could return tomorrow or 2 weeks from now. Who knows, it's all in how his leg feels. 

*If this team stays healthy....

We will really, really benefit from McLemore taking Harrison's place in the starting lineup. I noticed last night that both Mike and Marc would look his direction, because that was the natural play, and then decide to go elsewhere with the ball. I think a lot of the starters' struggles last night (in the first quarter at least) were due to Harrison being out there (as well as Martin). With a guy they can kick to at the 2 with the confidence that he can knock down a three, that starting unit is going to function really well.

When JaMychal Green and Selden return, it's going to be interesting to see how that changes the rotations. It might be that Brooks has supplanted Selden. Brooks might be the more talented scorer; Selden the more talented defender. Those two are probably battling each other for that wing player role off the bench.

We also probably have to think that Parsons might be battling Jarrell Martin for the backup 4 minutes. If a battle emerges there, it will be interesting to see how that plays out as well.

3 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

We will really, really benefit from McLemore taking Harrison's place in the starting lineup. I noticed last night that both Mike and Marc would look his direction, because that was the natural play, and then decide to go elsewhere with the ball. I think a lot of the starters' struggles last night (in the first quarter at least) were due to Harrison being out there (as well as Martin). With a guy they can kick to at the 2 with the confidence that he can knock down a three, that starting unit is going to function really well.

When JaMychal Green and Selden return, it's going to be interesting to see how that changes the rotations. It might be that Brooks has supplanted Selden. Brooks might be the more talented scorer; Selden the more talented defender. Those two are probably battling each other for that wing player role off the bench.

We also probably have to think that Parsons might be battling Jarrell Martin for the backup 4 minutes. If a battle emerges there, it will be interesting to see how that plays out as well.

Eh I think Selden and Brooks play two different positions. You can play them both at the same time.

35 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

Not sure why you assume McLemore will start. I could see Selden stepping into the starting position. If McLemore can provide offense and consistently hit the 3, I think that would be better because we already have a defensive player in Ennis, a defensive  player in Green and would probably need more scoring punch in the starting lineup,, although Ennis has shown he can reach double digits here and there, I think we need more scoring punch on that first unit. I wouldn't rule Selden out. It depends on who can bring the scoring punch to me. I don't think it's automatic that it will be McLemore.

Either way, their return forces Harrison to the third unit and probably has  Tyreke playing more point forward at the SF position with Parsons at the stretch 4 off of the bench. I would have kept Daniels(or TA for that matter) over Harrison.. 

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Not sure why you assume McLemore will start. I could see Selden stepping into the starting position. If McLemore can provide offense and consistently hit the 3, I think that would be better because we already have a defensive player in Ennis, a defensive  player in Green and would probably need more scoring punch in the starting lineup,, although Ennis has shown he can reach double digits here and there, I think we need more scoring punch on that first unit. I wouldn't rule Selden out. It depends on who can bring the scoring punch to me. I don't think it's automatic that it will be McLemore.

Either way, their return forces Harrison to the third unit and probably has  Tyreke playing more point forward at the SF position with Parsons at the stretch 4 off of the bench. I would have kept Daniels(or TA for that matter) over Harrison.. 

I think TA had ill effects in locker room when he wasn't getting his minutes, and guessing here but thinking ZBO and Allen's presence made it hard for Conley and Gasol to totally embrace leadership roles

3 hours ago, Herodotus said:

parsons is battling ennis for his starting sf position...I think martin is going to be the backup pf it parsons does become a starter again.

Its going to be hard to find minutes the way some of these guys are playing. Ennis, Martin, and Brooks are big surprises so far. There will be harder times this year, but the bench looks good so far.

2 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Its going to be hard to find minutes the way some of these guys are playing. Ennis, Martin, and Brooks are big surprises so far. There will be harder times this year, but the bench looks good so far.

I'm sorry but I don't think it will be hard to find minutes as it relates to Martin. I'm sure he's going to go right to the end of the bench when JaM returns. As much as people are happy about his 8 point and 5 board performance, he had 2 points 5 fouls and 4 turnovers in the first game. He has a 1.4 PER for the season and for him to be an athletic 6'10", his FG% needs to be much higher. I don't think there will be a problem at all, he will go back to the end of the bench.

Ennis should be better than last year. He had every opportunity to excel last year and was slightly above mediocre. He didn't have a great first game either. I expect him to improve and start at SF all year long.

Now Brooks is the surprise. I don't think it will be much of an issue though. Harrison, much like Martin will go to 3rd string and be at the end of the bench. Either BennyMacBo or Selden will start and the other will be a backup. Fizz will basically have to run a 10 man rotation with Rio at PG, Selden or Brooks(or BennyMacBo) at backup combo G, Reke at point forward, Parsons as a stretch 4 and Wright at the 5 as an athletic C. I think it will depend on who's hot. Some nights 1 of those 3 won't even play or maybe Reke needs to rest. it will work itself out. 

Also, let's be serious and honest here. We have 2 guys on our team that have had 3 knee surgeries in 2 years (Evans, Parsons). We have someone who just broke his foot (McLemore). We have a starting PG that always gets some gruesome freak injury every year.  JaM's down for weeks. Injuries are still a major concern. I'm more concerned about injuries, continuity and consistency than I am about any logjams and people not getting sufficient playing time. 

18 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I'm sorry but I don't think it will be hard to find minutes as it relates to Martin. I'm sure he's going to go right to the end of the bench when JaM returns. As much as people are happy about his 8 point and 5 board performance, he had 2 points 5 fouls and 4 turnovers in the first game. He has a 1.4 PER for the season and for him to be an athletic 6'10", his FG% needs to be much higher. I don't think there will be a problem at all, he will go back to the end of the bench.

Ennis should be better than last year. He had every opportunity to excel last year and was slightly above mediocre. He didn't have a great first game either. I expect him to improve and start at SF all year long.

Now Brooks is the surprise. I don't think it will be much of an issue though. Harrison, much like Martin will go to 3rd string and be at the end of the bench. Either BennyMacBo or Selden will start and the other will be a backup. Fizz will basically have to run a 10 man rotation with Rio at PG, Selden or Brooks(or BennyMacBo) at backup combo G, Reke at point forward, Parsons as a stretch 4 and Wright at the 5 as an athletic C. I think it will depend on who's hot. Some nights 1 of those 3 won't even play or maybe Reke needs to rest. it will work itself out. 

Also, let's be serious and honest here. We have 2 guys on our team that have had 3 knee surgeries in 2 years (Evans, Parsons). We have someone who just broke his foot (McLemore). We have a starting PG that always gets some gruesome freak injury every year.  JaM's down for weeks. Injuries are still a major concern. I'm more concerned about injuries, continuity and consistency than I am about any logjams and people not getting sufficient playing time. 

Oh yeah. Martin is athletic and plays hard but he is an emergency big at best.

43 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing Brooks starting and seeing what he can become.

Bruh Brooks is quickly becoming my favorite player outside of Conley and Gasol.   I just don't see how he starts before we get a good look at Wayne and Ben.  

Reke and Rio(sounds like an 80s buddy cop movie)  are shooting up the charts too. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bruh Brooks is quickly becoming my favorite player outside of Conley and Gasol.   I just don't see how he starts before we get a good look at Wayne and Ben.  

Reke and Rio(sounds like an 80s buddy cop movie)  are shooting up the charts too. 

Im pretty sure Brooks is just better than either of them though. He makes shots and finishes that only Allstar caliber players make. The only reason not to start him is to not break up the bench.

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Im pretty sure Brooks is just better than either of them though. He makes shots and finishes that only Allstar caliber players make. The only reason not to start him is to not break up the bench.

I wouldn't be surprised if McLemore is the odd man out by the end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Yea Martin will get minutes whenever Parsons or Wright need rest; and until he gets better on defense and 3pt shooting he doesn't usurp JaMyke.  

Ennis Athleticism and versatility on defense is an excellent pairing with JaM.   I think he will continue to improve as he gets more comfortable in the offense.    I agrree he should remain the starter all year.   The only question on starting lineup is around SG.   Ben is nice from a shooting perspective but Wayne is a better slasher ball-handler and defender.    It all depends on how much Ben has really improved but honestly you can't go wrong with either.  Selden is 23 and BenMac is 24 so it isn't like development time is a factor for either.    Regardless we have to groom both of them to be ready for next season because Rio, Ennis, and Reke are FA then. 

Our new pace and space is perfect for Ennis, JaM, Mike, Brandan, and Jarrell.    They were all being held back by the old system.   

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

If he starts then that moves Ennis to SG because Brooks isn't agile enough to guard those guys.   keep in mind that one of the advantages the starting lineup was going to enjoy was extreme switchability.   

Ben, Ennis, JaMyke, and Wayne can all guard 1-3 respectably.    The only value Harrison provides currently is that he defends whichever guard is the biggest offensive threat so Mike can rest on defense.  Brooks can't provide that.   

The only way i can justify starting brooks over Wayne or Ben is if he proves to be the more lethal and respected scorer and improves his defense.