GrizzTigerFan

Breakout Candidate for the team

Breakout Player  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the breakout player on the team?

• James Ennis
    • Tyreke Evans
    • Ben McLemore
    • Brandan Wright
    • Andrew Harrison
    • Dillon Brooks
    • Mario Chalmers
    • JaMychal Green
    • Wayne Selden
    • Jarrell Martin

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Just for fun, a comparison through 11 games:

Brooks: 93pts, 47reb, 14ast, 14stl, 5blk, 21tov, 40pf

Battier: 146pts, 51reb, 35ast, 22stl, 14blk, 21tov, 34pf

Battier got more minutes at 429 compared to Brooks' 326

Per 36:

Brooks: 10.3pts, 5.2reb, 1.5ast, 1.5stl, 0.6blk, 2.3tov, 4.4pf

Battier: 12.3pts, 4.3reb, 2.9ast, 1.8stl, 1.2blk, 1.8tov, 2.9pf

Battier did have twice as many double-digit scoring games by this point including a 30 point outburst against POR, as well as two 20+ against MIN and CLE.  But overall not too far apart.  I'm pretty sure Battier was expected to be a larger part of the team's attack being the National College Player of the Year, as well as the fact the the Grizzlies did not have as much talent then, more than what is expected of Brooks now.  Brooks has only had two games where he had double-digit field goal attempts, whereas Shane had nine.  Shane also had more than twice as many 3pt attempts too(Gee, I don't remember us jacking them up that frequently back then), 56 to 27 for Brooks.

I agree that both seem to be guys who do the intangible things that help win.  I'm liking what Dillon is bringing so far.

I know you said for fun, but its a tough comparison because as you said Battiers team was terrible with a pass first point guard, so he was a featured guy from day one and Brooks team isnt giving him the same amount of tbecause as 

On 10/19/2017 at 5:44 PM, chipc3 said:

With BenMc and Wayne coming back from injury soon, I have to put One of them ahead of Brooks who will likely find minutes difficult as the season progresses. Put my vote down for Wayne.

Dillon played well with the second unit, too, so Selden might be the guy who might be the odd man out if he can't play his way into the rotation.  Although if we want a TA defensive/energy guy as our 6th man that might be Selden.  

10 hours ago, Dwash said:

I know you said for fun, but its a tough comparison because as you said Battiers team was terrible with a pass first point guard, so he was a featured guy from day one and Brooks team isnt giving him the same amount of tbecause as 

Actually I wouldn't call Jason Williams a "pass first" point guard since he led the team in shots per minute.

Don't take any of this as a negative or criticism of anyone.  I was just curious after your posts and, after checking the stats and doing the math, I thought I'd share it, but these are two very different teams so comparisons are difficult.

10 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Dillon played well with the second unit, too, so Selden might be the guy who might be the odd man out if he can't play his way into the rotation.  Although if we want a TA defensive/energy guy as our 6th man that might be Selden.  

Harrison will be the odd man out. Selden will have no problem playing his way into the rotation. 

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Harrison will be the odd man out. Selden will have no problem playing his way into the rotation. 

How so with McLemore taking Harrisons minutes?

On 11/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, Dwash said:

How so with McLemore taking Harrisons minutes?

Mclemore will lose favor to Selden as the season wears on. That or Brooks/ Ennis minutes will go down as his goes up.