GrizzTigerFan

Breakout Candidate for the team

Breakout Player  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the breakout player on the team?

• James Ennis
    • Tyreke Evans
    • Ben McLemore
    • Brandan Wright
    • Andrew Harrison
    • Dillon Brooks
    • Mario Chalmers
    • JaMychal Green
    • Wayne Selden
    • Jarrell Martin

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Brooks really looked good, but I think we should keep our expectations realistic.  We weren't playing the champs.  NO still looks like they're struggling.  Let's give it a few games before we start the All-Star and ROY campaigns.

This thread is not about Brooks being ROY etc but rather whether he’s a breakout candidate for the Grizz. Compared to the other players in that list, he will most likely be that guy.

3 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

This thread is not about Brooks being ROY etc but rather whether he’s a breakout candidate for the Grizz. Compared to the other players in that list, he will most likely be that guy.

*it's sarcasm*

He may very well be the guy to do it, but there's 81 more regular season games.

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

*it's sarcasm*

He may very well be the guy to do it, but there's 81 more regular season games.

So the poll stays open till the end of season? ;)

7 hours ago, GF#1 said:

One game, gang. He looked good tonight, but lets not get carried away yet.

Give him the keys to the city.

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

Give him the keys to the city.

He looked like he could repeat that performance not like it was just a hot streak.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

He looked like he could repeat that performance not like it was just a hot streak.

i'm hopeful but it won't surprise me if he doesn't. The biggest thing I liked was his feel for the game and BBIQ which are hard to teach. So he has an advantage in those areas. He brought great energy too but this is the first game of his career, let's see if he's still doing it after 50 games. The next 5 games are against the defending champs and then 4 division games. I'm hoping he can contribute similarly

38 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

i'm hopeful but it won't surprise me if he doesn't. The biggest thing I liked was his feel for the game and BBIQ which are hard to teach. So he has an advantage in those areas. He brought great energy too but this is the first game of his career, let's see if he's still doing it after 50 games. The next 5 games are against the defending champs and then 4 division games. I'm hoping he can contribute similarly

Well I dont mean every night. But the bball IQ and midrange game are real. The ability to comfortably drive and finish with both hands is real. The pullup jumpshot is always a deadly weapon. Teams will tighten down ofcourse and figure out tendencies. And yeah his energy level might wear down, especially if he is used frequently which they may have too.

41 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

That is why the comp Fizz gave him to Battier is actually a decent one.   Brooks is the type of player that even if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard he will help in other ways due to his high BBIQ.  

Well, I see that I'm the only one who voted for Tyreke to have a breakout year.  I still think its going to be him b/c he's a vet and barring injury, will be doing everything in his power to increase his earning potential in this contract year for him.  We've seen what he's capable of doing, and all he has to do is improve on last year, 10ppg, which I'm sure he will surpass, probably averaging closer to 16ppg with 4 or 5 assists and rebounds per game too.

Parsons actually looked nice in the garbage time that he got last night.  They should keep playing him like that against second units until they are fully confident in his ability to contribute and not get injured.  Last year they put him out there knowing he wasn't full strength and voilà, he went down and needed surgery.

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That is why the comp Fizz gave him to Battier is actually a decent one.   Brooks is the type of player that even if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard he will help in other ways due to his high BBIQ.  

He has more scoring talent than Battier.

Just now, Dwash said:

Definitely and Battier was a better defender.    The comp is on the fact that Battier had real collegiate experience and high BBIQ and that stuff carried over to the pros.  He was an impactful player from day one to his last; because he never  completely relied on his physical tools to contribute.    Brooks has that same type of profile. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Absolutely. If we are comparing against former Grizz players it’s more like my boy skittles 

19 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Martin, once coach is forced to play him.

Brooks at least seems more Westbrook-ish than Wade ever did though, at least to me.

Edit: No reason for the quote, accident 

Edited by El Guapo

13 hours ago, GF#1 said:

One game, gang. He looked good tonight, but lets not get carried away yet.

Im totally getting carried away, drinking the kool aid and all that, its fun and i dont see the harm in it 

The thing with Brooks is, he gave us two different looks against the Pelicans.  In that preseason game he was on fire from 3.  Then last night, he didn't hit a single 3 but showed us everything else.  Who would I compare him to?  Not sure... he seems more like a throwback guy... Hondo?

maybe Brooks can be our GINOBILI!!

mike can be our tony parker w/range

marc can be our stretch 5 Duncan

Fizz can be our Pops

optimism is fun

44 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He honestly reminds me of his Airness himself, only better.

More like an image of me playing ball. GOAT

56 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

More like an image of me playing ball. GOAT

Lol.

But seriously I was think Brandon Roy lite.

19 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

With BenMc and Wayne coming back from injury soon, I have to put One of them ahead of Brooks who will likely find minutes difficult as the season progresses. Put my vote down for Wayne.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Anybody think Tyreke should've gotten more votes?

Its early days, my candidate hasnt started yet but will soon.

Wonder who the 2 members are?

On 10/19/2017 at 8:56 AM, Dwash said:

On 10/19/2017 at 8:58 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Definitely and Battier was a better defender.    The comp is on the fact that Battier had real collegiate experience and high BBIQ and that stuff carried over to the pros.  He was an impactful player from day one to his last; because he never  completely relied on his physical tools to contribute.    Brooks has that same type of profile. 

Just for fun, a comparison through 11 games:

Brooks: 93pts, 47reb, 14ast, 14stl, 5blk, 21tov, 40pf

Battier: 146pts, 51reb, 35ast, 22stl, 14blk, 21tov, 34pf

Battier got more minutes at 429 compared to Brooks' 326

Per 36:

Brooks: 10.3pts, 5.2reb, 1.5ast, 1.5stl, 0.6blk, 2.3tov, 4.4pf

Battier: 12.3pts, 4.3reb, 2.9ast, 1.8stl, 1.2blk, 1.8tov, 2.9pf

Battier did have twice as many double-digit scoring games by this point including a 30 point outburst against POR, as well as two 20+ against MIN and CLE.  But overall not too far apart.  I'm pretty sure Battier was expected to be a larger part of the team's attack being the National College Player of the Year, as well as the fact the the Grizzlies did not have as much talent then, more than what is expected of Brooks now.  Brooks has only had two games where he had double-digit field goal attempts, whereas Shane had nine.  Shane also had more than twice as many 3pt attempts too(Gee, I don't remember us jacking them up that frequently back then), 56 to 27 for Brooks.

I agree that both seem to be guys who do the intangible things that help win.  I'm liking what Dillon is bringing so far.