Sign in to follow this  
notnilc20

Houston Rockets @ Memphis Grizzlies PRESEASON gm.4

18 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

How is that sentiment different from last season?

I see tons of promise with the way our defense attacks.  That alone gives me hope.  

Last season, we still had TA, Z-Bo and Vince (for whatever he could give). Now, who do we have to shore up for the lack of development/talent in the younger players?

5 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

How many people would kill for a chance at Donovan Mitchell right now.

Not many people would kill for Mitchell. He's had a good game against the Lakers but he also shot 3-16 against the Suns. 

49 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

After watching the 1st half last night, I see no reason to believe this team is a playoff caliber team. The young players aren't really developing well enough to expect major contributions from them, and  vet role players are injury prone, and the top guys are not consistent enough or talented enough to really carry a team.

Fizz fell for the trap that Joerger fell for, trying to reshape the team to fit a style of play, rather than refining the roster to fit the talents and skill sets of the teams best players. For all that Z-Bo and TA lacked in terms of the "New style of NBA play", they were the best players on the team that could keep the team competitive. The best move the Grizz could have made this summer was to try to trade Gasol for a low post player that could give you a legit 20 and 10 a nite (Paul Milsap, heck, maybe even Dwight Howard). That would slow the game down (as winded as they looked after running for 1 qtr, I can't see how anybody expects this team to be able to run like that for 82 games) and give them a legit shot of remaining competitive. they just do not have the talent on the roster to play that way, and I think it is short sighted on the Coaching staff and front office to assume that they could.

Gasol for Dwight Howard?  Heck no, we want no part of that deal.  Howard is a mess and it appears that he's a cancer in every locker room he steps into.  I say we just work with the core we have.

32 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

How is that sentiment different from last season?

I see tons of promise with the way our defense attacks.  That alone gives me hope.  

Last season the team knew that there were questions but there was a lot of faith in the veterans too. This season we have "promise" and that with $8.00 gets you a mocha latte at Starbucks! 

I liked it better when you could say "that plus a quarter gets you a coffee" too but I'm old fashioned. 

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't agree. Players like Mike and Marc aren't easily replaced. It could be years before you can find someone as talented as them again in the draft. My way is to focus on short term issues for one season and then return with a more experienced team that still has their top two players plus a 3rd elite level player. 

If Fizdale is the master coach who is so great at developing young talent then this would be the ideal time to put it to the test. After the 2018 draft it will be much harder to get a top pick by tanking after all. 

Yea but how many losses will the fans give the team if they focus an entire year on developing guys I mean the same young guys that played last year are the ones that are getting most of the time now aside from Brooks no other young player has shown they deserve minutes aside from the ones that got time last year.

Harrison doesn't need to compete for back up pg minutes when it's clear he's better as a secondary guy playing with a smaller offensiveinded pg. Wade has had enough chances to show something..Like I said unless they plan to move Parsons Martin is gone cause there is no where for him to play.. DD looks like Whiteside 2.0 I mean the rookie version that needed to go overseas and figure out if he really wanted to play ball.

2 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea but how many losses will the fans give the team if they focus an entire year on developing guys I mean the same young guys that played last year are the ones that are getting most of the time now aside from Brooks no other young player has shown they deserve minutes aside from the ones that got time last year.

Harrison doesn't need to compete for back up pg minutes when it's clear he's better as a secondary guy playing with a smaller offensiveinded pg. Wade has had enough chances to show something..Like I said unless they plan to move Parsons Martin is gone cause there is no where for him to play.. DD looks like Whiteside 2.0 I mean the rookie version that needed to go overseas and figure out if he really wanted to play ball.

When fans give up on second year players before the season starts then the franchise is going to struggle developing anyone. 

8 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Gasol for Dwight Howard?  Heck no, we want no part of that deal.  Howard is a mess and it appears that he's a cancer in every locker room he steps into.  I say we just work with the core we have.

I believe Howard could do well given the right circumstance. He's not the "Superman" he was 8 years ago, but slow the game down, "grind it out", and put him on the block and he, Z-Bo and with TA on the Wing along with the young players they have would be more competitive than the team they are fielding now.  Is it championship caliber, probably not, but that would be a playoff team, in the right system.

19 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

When fans give up on second year players before the season starts then the franchise is going to struggle developing anyone. 

Why does our giving up on them have anything to do with their performance or the franchises ability to develop?

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Why does our giving up on them have anything to do with their performance or the franchises ability to develop?

If "you" are giving up on 1st round draft picks after one season then nothing because nothing you say has any impact on the franchise anyway. If we are assuming "the franchise" is giving up on their former 1st round pick after one season then there is a problem. 

35 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I believe Howard could do well given the right circumstance. He's not the "Superman" he was 8 years ago, but slow the game down, "grind it out", and put him on the block and he, Z-Bo and with TA on the Wing along with the young players they have would be more competitive than the team they are fielding now.  Is it championship caliber, probably not, but that would be a playoff team, in the right system.

Our guys right now can be a playoff team if they are playing the right system and high-level defense.   TA + Zbo + Howard isn't a playoff team unless Steph Curry and Durant are on the wing. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Our guys right now can be a playoff team if they are playing the right system and high-level defense.   TA + Zbo + Howard isn't a playoff team unless Steph Curry and Durant are on the wing. 

Who on the team is known for being a high level defense other than Gasol when he was sub 30? Do you believe the system the team is running is the "right system?"

14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

In the right system, they could realistically compete. No, they will not outscore the Dubs or anyone. But if they slow the pace down, limit possessions, they can be competitive. This squad of the Grizz as currently composed trying to run and score with the Dubs is a pipe dream if not comical.

Just now, chipc3 said:

Who on the team is known for being a high level defense other than Gasol when he was sub 30? Do you believe the system the team is running is the "right system?"

The type of scheme Fiz is employing requires more discipline and switchable defenders than just having one elite defender.     Everyone on the team aside from Parsons and Rade have enough mobility or switch-ability to thrive in his system.    yes, I do believe we have the correct personnel to run it. 

5 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

In the right system, they could realistically compete. No, they will not outscore the Dubs or anyone. But if they slow the pace down, limit possessions, they can be competitive. This squad of the Grizz as currently composed trying to run and score with the Dubs is a pipe dream.

Fiz has said running with the Dubs isn't the goal or becoming a running team.   Its just about making quicker smarter decisions with the ball and scoring easier.  Just because we aren't going at a glacier pace doesn't mean we are trying to imitate "7 secs or less".   

I have no problem with a moderate pace and elite defense.  The team doesn't need Tony and Zbo to play that way.  

My problem was our offense usually ended up wasting shot-clock just to end a possession in Isoball and shooting 3s was frowned upon.    

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Fiz has said running with the Dubs isn't the goal or becoming a running team.   Its just about making quicker smarter decisions with the ball and scoring easier.  Just because we aren't going at a glacier pace doesn't mean we are trying to imitate "7 secs or less".   

I have no problem with a moderate pace and elite defense.  The team doesn't need Tony and Zbo to play that way.  

My problem was our offense usually ended up wasting shot-clock just to end a possession in Isoball and shooting 3s was frowned upon.    

What elite defense? Who on this squad , and what D scheme are they running, that says this will be an elite defensive team? They were able to do that for 1 qtr. last night. They do not have the players to run even a moderately paced O and elite D.

Just now, Blackwatch said:

What elite defense? Who on this squad , and what D scheme are they running, that says this will be an elite defensive team? They were able to do that for 1 qtr. last night. They do not have the players to run even a moderately paced O and elite D.

Are you saying if they simply brought back Tony - then they would be an elite defense?     I firmly believe they have the tools to be a Top5 defense as currently constructed.   The anchor of the defense has always been Gasol and he is still here. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Are you saying if they simply brought back Tony - then they would be an elite defense?     I firmly believe they have the tools to be a Top5 defense as currently constructed.   The anchor of the defense has always been Gasol and he is still here. 

I'm saying that they have to slow the pace down to play that elite D. TA gave them that edge, and Gasol used to be willing to anchor the D. But now he just wants to be a 7'2" shooting guard. He has no interest in doing too much in the paint, much less anchoring D. They showed last nite that they have a qtr, maybe a half in them to play that pace and play elite D. 

6 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I agree with chip, tyreke was a dumb player to get, ben mac is a little better since he is young and could develop. But the grizzlies made a terrible move not keeping troy williams, they made a bad move giving parsons that contract.

Tyreke is such a low iq player.

HEY, they made a BAD move giving Conley all that money. That was SS range and he AIN'T no SS.

46 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

HEY, they made a BAD move giving Conley all that money. That was SS range and he AIN'T no SS.

It's not your money.  Why you cryin'?  I thought Mike performed very well last season.

I disagree with your assessment.  Look at Curry's contract.  THAT'S superstar money.  Al Horford made the same money as Conley last season.  Is he a superstar?  Hayward and Millsap both make more than MC, are they superstars?  I don't think they are any more so than Mike.  How about Jrue Holiday?  This season he will make about what Mike made last season.  Is he a superstar?  For cryin' out loud Otto freakin' Porter is slated to make $24,773,250 this season, which is about $6 million more than Wall.  Is he a superstar?

I think you're just having trouble wrapping your brain around how salaries are exploding.  Are they overpaid?  Of course, aren't ALL professional athletes?  I'm not going to begrudge them their opportunity though.

31 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's not your money.  Why you cryin'?  I thought Mike performed very well last season.

I disagree with your assessment.  Look at Curry's contract.  THAT'S superstar money.  Al Horford made the same money as Conley last season.  Is he a superstar?  Hayward and Millsap both make more than MC, are they superstars?  I don't think they are any more so than Mike.  How about Jrue Holiday?  This season he will make about what Mike made last season.  Is he a superstar?  For cryin' out loud Otto freakin' Porter is slated to make $24,773,250 this season, which is about $6 million more than Wall.  Is he a superstar?

I think you're just having trouble wrapping your brain around how salaries are exploding.  Are they overpaid?  Of course, aren't ALL professional athletes?  I'm not going to begrudge them their opportunity though.

Because they gave up money they could've used to try to get some better players. A 30 MILLION dollar player should be able to carry the team on his back, Conley can't do that.

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Almost ANY team is a playoff team if they play high level defense. But as Gasol has slowed down I dont see our personnel (physical atttributes + experience) being more than league average at best. Teams like GSW, Utah, Clips, Miami, Mil have elite personnel. SA has proven that they play over their heads and they have Kawai. Everyone else has to prove it. 

5 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Again, Parsons will be the best player on this roster this coming season

Im sure  he tells the ladies who dont understand basketball this line.

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Almost ANY team is a playoff team if they play high level defense. But as Gasol has slowed down I dont see our personnel (physical atttributes + experience) being more than league average at best. Teams like GSW, Utah, Clips, Miami, Mil have elite personnel. SA has proven that they play over their heads and they have Kawai. Everyone else has to prove it. 

We were ranked 12th last season with worse personnel  https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=W&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season

i don't see a reason we can't get back to top5. And yes I believe almost any team is a playoff team if they play elite defense defense.  I never said that made us special.  

26 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We were ranked 12th last season with worse personnel  https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=W&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season

i don't see a reason we can't get back to top5. And yes I believe almost any team is a playoff team if they play elite defense defense.  I never said that made us special.  

How did we have worse personnel?