Sign in to follow this  
notnilc20

Houston Rockets @ Memphis Grizzlies PRESEASON gm.4

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If he can't play - whats the point in keeping him.  That's all i am saying.   It's similar to when Chalmers went down with his injury.   They had to cut him to free up the roster spot.  

Parsons and his contract is a serious dark cloud hanging over this org.    "Saveface" move would be to cut him or convince him to retire.  Then fire Chris Wallace because no way in Hades did Parsons get medically cleared to get signed.   

I don't know if Parsons' wasn't cleared by our doctors or not but firing Wallace seems to be the next logical move after the buy-sell date has passed. Nothing is being done before Kaplan and Pera work out their ownership issues. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't know if Parsons' wasn't cleared by our doctors or not but firing Wallace seems to be the next logical move after the buy-sell date has passed. Nothing is being done before Kaplan and Pera work out their ownership issues. 

Yea our absentee owner situation has been a real thorn in all of this. 

I would let Martin and Chalmers go. Chalmers nearly got hurt last night. And he is in no way better than harrison, who in my opinion is our 3rd best player on the team. Watch harrison, when he is on the floor, he gets extremely agitated when he is playing with the other young guys, when they do something stupid. The guy has no tolerance for it, which reminds me of marc gasol.

Martin, i would let go because he doesnt take the game by the horns, and he is a worse floater than rudy gay was when he was here.

5 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would let Martin and Chalmers go. Chalmers nearly got hurt last night. And he is in no way better than harrison, who in my opinion is our 3rd best player on the team. Watch harrison, when he is on the floor, he gets extremely agitated when he is playing with the other young guys, when they do something stupid. The guy has no tolerance for it, which reminds me of marc gasol.

Martin, i would let go because he doesnt take the game by the horns, and he is a worse floater than rudy gay was when he was here.

There is actually some logic here. Chalmers is a dirt cheap buyout ($25,000 I believe) and Martin is on the final year of his rookie deal. If Parsons is now a full-time PF (and everyone has to admit he doesn't look like much else so far) then Martin will be hamstrung for playing time behind Parsons and Green. The team experimented with him as a small 5 last night and the results were horrific. 

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So you agree this was a bad off-season but you feel that I was too cruel just focusing on this summer and calling it a disaster because there have been other disastrous off-seasons? 

Yeah in a way I would just say it was more of a blah offseason. They had a lot of needs and virtually nothing to work with to fill them.

33 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If he can't play - whats the point in keeping him.  That's all i am saying.   It's similar to when Chalmers went down with his injury.   They had to cut him to free up the roster spot.  

Parsons and his contract is a serious dark cloud hanging over this org.    "Saveface" move would be to cut him or convince him to retire.  Then fire Chris Wallace because no way in Hades did Parsons get medically cleared to get signed.   

They cut Chalmers cause he was about to be a free agent, wasnt due back until ASB of next year at the earliest and they only had 8 players for the stretch run.

I gave you atleast one reason. His expiring deal could be a trade asset one day. If he does decide to retire and medically cant play, the Grizzlies should be getting some money back in some type of way as long as he is on the roster. You may decide to give someone a draft pick one day to take him off your hands which is dome many many times. Not that I want to, but it happens. You may eventually move a Gasol if things get bad enough and in the trade ask the other team to relieve you of Parsons contract. Its strictly financial.

Look, I know you hate him and I get it. But him tying up a roster spot at this point changes nothing for Memphis. Teams sign bum contracts all the time. There is almost no precedent of what you are suggesting they do for a reason.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Herodotus - Perhaps disastrous was strong. Let's look at the moves the front office has made this summer. 

• Traded for the rights to Ivan Rabb. He missed summer league due to an injury. The team knew he needed a lot of strength work but delayed until a couple of days before training camp to sign him so they couldn't take advantage of the summer to help start the process.
  • Traded for the draft rights to Dillon Brooks. Signed him after an impressive summer league. Shows promise. 
  • Lost fan favorite Zach Randolph to free agency. 
  • Lost fan favorite Tony Allen to free agency
  • Lost fan favorite Vince Carter to free agency
  • Signed Ben McLemore from the Kings (when Sacramento failed to exercise the final year of his rookie contract) and gave him a raise in the process. McLemore promptly broke his foot and has missed all of training camp while recovering. 
  • Signed their own free agent JaMychal Green to a 2 year deal after the start of training camp despite his not being offered any other contract. New Contract pays him $6 million more than his qualifying offer would have. 
  • Signed Tyreke Evans to a one year deal for $3.3 million despite playing just 65 games in the last two seasons and having 3 knee surgeries. 
  • Signed Mario Chalmers after being out of the league for over 18 months after tearing his Achilles Heal. 
  • Signed Rade Zagorac who's rights they acquired during the 2016 draft. 

The team lost three popular veterans who wanted to return and teach the younger players on the team. Memphis now has to cut two players with partially or fully guaranteed contracts because they have too many players signed for the season. The coach has expressed a desire to play uptempo so the front office signed a player recovering from a torn Achilles, a player recovering from 3 knee surgeries (who was never that quick to begin with according to GTF), a player who was released from one of the worst teams in the league who promptly broke his foot, a power forward who played for one of the slowest college basketball teams with an injured ankle and a slow European combo forward who doesn't appear to be close to ready in the league. The entire basis of optimism for the fans right now is that Parsons will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Evans will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Chalmers will return to form after tearing his Achilles, Conley and Gasol will be healthy all-season and at least 2 if not more of the young players will develop despite most of them being undrafted or 2nd round choices in the draft. 

And the team somehow managed to do all this by running right up to the luxury tax line so it becomes nearly impossible to make trades. 

What word would you choose to describe this off-season?

This is about as "negative explanatory" as it gets. It's clinical. No nuance.

Ivan Rabb. The Grizz had no draft picks going into the draft, and came out with Rabb and Brooks. I was concerned about Rabb immediately and would have not made that pick, and I think he is probably going to not end up being an NBA player. Brooks, however, looks like he might work. The percentage chance of second-round picks turning into NBA players is extremely slim. If Brooks turns into a player, that would be a 50% hit rate in that draft, which would be great. If he doesn't, then 0% is actually quite normal. Maybe the expectations here are too high. Or, maybe you would hope (as I do) that the Grizzlies could actually figure out how to hit on the draft picks more often. That's a running theme, however, over the course of years, and not just one single "disaster" of an off-season. The real issue here is not whether we're hitting on second round picks, it's the issue of the roster glut and who we keep versus who we release. I THINK the Grizzlies intended to sign Rabb to a two-way, and not use a 15-man roster spot on him. Then, Rabb's camp basically balked at that. And, so, to keep him, Wallace signed him to a 15-man guaranteed roster contract. THAT might be the problem here. And, it will really be a problem if Rabb turns out to suck, as I suspect he might. So, again, it's not really about the hit rate on these second-round picks, it's about the roster glut. That will be a theme of my post, and is probably your strongest argument.

Zach, Tony, and Vince. The alternative to letting these guys go really isn't clear. Sacramento definitely over-paid Randolph. Keeping hin really wasn't an option, as far as I am understanding the math. Tony Allen was a complicated matter, but if Zach was as good as gone, then was keeping Tony Allen an absolutely imperative? I don't see that argument, personally. Vince? He's a fan-favorite, he's an all-time great, and he's a great leader and locker room presence. He is not a great contributor on the court, and we should all be realistic about that. He's more of an assistance coach at this point, who can come in and hit some momentum threes. This might be a big loss from a culture perspective, but not from a basketball perspective. Nuance. Keeping him around is not some kind of mandatory, obvious requirement to be successful, as much as I love the guy.

Ben McLemore is potentially a great signing and I am pretty astounded that more people don't see it. Maybe because he's not playing and is injured? His injury happened as a total freak thing AFTER they signed him. He has, up to now, a stellar health record. Maybe this changes, I don't know, but somehow blaming the front office for a bad luck summer injury really makes no sense. That's not nuance, that's clear. Whether you think McLemore is good basketball player, well, that's another argument, separate from the injury. He's super athletic. He shoots catch-and-shoot jumpers like a modern NBA shooting guard should. He finishes spectacularly at the rim. Those are his unequivocal strengths. And he was signed for exactly those reasons. Definitely deserves a roster spot.

JaMychal Green. We could have just given him the qualifying, but that would have just been one year and then he would have been gone, because he would basically have been getting jilted. To get him to sign for two years, we had to give him a little more money. He's worth what we're paying. Definitely deserves a roster spot.

Tyreke Evans. Now, you're probably correct. If we didn't have a roster glut, then this would be a pretty clear low-downside, pretty-good upside signing. In the context of the roster glut, it's more complicated. It also turns substantially on the COACH. If Tyreke goes out there and is ball-stopping, isolation, inefficient, then the coach just needs to bench him. If the coach keeps playing him with awful results, that's on Fizz. So, we'll just have to see. But, I see the roster glut as being the real issue here, not the actual risk-reward proposition of the signing.

Mario Chalmers. Not sure what you're talking about. Chalmers looks fine as a player, from what I've seen. Definitely deserves a spot on the roster, unless, due to roster glut issues, there's no room and we can't keep him - and THAT, not his health, would be the reason to criticize this move/signing, contrary to what you seem to be arguing.

Rade Zagorac. Again, the issue here is the roster glut. Rade is a second-round pick. He could hit, he could not. The contract issue(s) with him and his overseas contact made his situation different from the rest. They basically had to give him a roster spot in order to get him over here, and they needed to get him over here before they could really know what they had in him. So, all of that makes sense. And, again, the issue is the roster glut and whether they actually have the room to play around with Rade's contract like this.

To me, the principal, valid criticism of the front office's off-season is this issue of roster glut. 

Longer-term, and NOT a single-season "disaster," is the concern that the Grizzlies front office can't hit on FIRST ROUND picks. That's no where in your post, but it's the main thing. Again, there should be no expectation that all picks, even first round or lottery picks, hit. But, we're striking out at a rate that puts us towards the bottom of the league, rather than the top, and a franchise like ours really needs to be competitive in drafting to stay afloat. So, missing on Martin and Baldwin, on top of Jordan Adams, is becoming a major problem. But, again, that's not a just this-off-season thing. 

You asked me about this summer and then mention previous seasons as the "main thing." Personally I agree that the Grizzlies misses have hurt. Jordan Adams was never a player I wanted and in hindsight (always 20/20) I look correct. I wanted Rodney Hood instead and that can be tracked on the board. I also talked about Clint Capella and Kyle Anderson. This was a big miss by our front office but can we hold them accountable for Adams' injury after the draft? 

Jarell Martin looks bad but no one is really saying who the alternative was when he was drafted. Honestly, the best player passed on is Josh Richardson who went 40th (just a few spots ahead of Andrew Harrison). I don't believe that this is directly the front office's fault. Some players develop later. Others don't. 

Wade Baldwin is 21 and is entering his second season with the ball club. Can anyone say for sure Baldwin won't have a better career when he's 30 than Harrison will? I don't know. It depends on how hard Baldwin works between now and then. I think we are seeing about everything Harrison has to offer but have we seen all the Baldwin can offer? 

I have bigger issues with the decisions made by our front office in trades than the draft. Deyonta Davis and Rade Zagorac could develop but right now I'd prefer that future Clippers pick to both of them. The Clippers are on the decline while the Grizzlies were hoping to find 2nd round value in a weak draft. Boston couldn't even use those two picks with their roster full so why did the Grizzlies have to give up a first round pick to get them anyway? 

Trading a first round pick along with Speights, Ellington and Selby for Jon Leuer? What was that about??? Trading a first round pick for Jeff Green. Sure the Grizzlies got a first back for Green but we already noted they traded that away for Davis and Rade and some people are willing to drop both of them today. 

So I agree the FO has been making bad choices all along. However, trading the culture of the team for players that have huge question marks is a disaster this summer. We aren't Grit and Grind any more. Fine, it never won the city a title and for some that is all that matters. So what has is the team identity now? Who are we as a team? 

@Herodotus

Good analogy and i agree with your overall assessment - that the biggest problem is the roster glut. 

There aren't any teams that are 15 men deep nor are their situations where teams have the ability to develop EVERY single young prospect on the court.   Yet most of our fans criticisms are based around those notions. 

Our roster situation requires a level of evaluation most teams don't have to worry about.    Which revolves around max money spent on an unplayable player and having too many unproven young guys.    I really believe Chalmers was the biggest monkey wrench.   His being healthy and productive had a huge ripple effect. 

These games are important now due to those factors. 

I agree with DWash that considering what we had to work with THIS season.  FO did pretty good in scrounging up talent.  

Scoring in the 80s again?

Chandler looks like the anchor he was last year.

Mike still gonna have those average nights too often and still overpaid which does effect the roster,, yet I still respect him.

Marc is a *****.  The offense will continue to be low scoring as long as he is a grizzly. I've been wanting him gone for like two years at least.

No one else is really doing anything that great and if we make the playoffs, they will likely melt under the pressure.

This year the zbo haters will learn what zbo brought to the team.  Same for VC and Tony.  Those guys knew how to get wins.

I like Chalmers.  I hope his health holds up.  Same for tyreke.

I think we will finish slightly under 500 this year.  No playoffs despite one of the higher team payrolls.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

They cut Chalmers cause he was about to be a free agent, wasnt due back until ASB of next year at the earliest and they only had 8 players for the stretch run.

I gave you atleast one reason. His expiring deal could be a trade asset one day. If he does decide to retire and medically cant play, the Grizzlies should be getting some money back in some type of way as long as he is on the roster. You may decide to give someone a draft pick one day to take him off your hands which is dome many many times. Not that I want to, but it happens. You may eventually move a Gasol if things get bad enough and in the trade ask the other team to relieve you of Parsons contract. Its strictly financial.

Look, I know you hate him and I get it. But him tying up a roster spot at this point changes nothing for Memphis. Teams sign bum contracts all the time. There is almost no precedent of what you are suggesting they do for a reason.

I know there is no precedent for it but what was the precedent for signing a guy coming off 3 knee surgeries to a Max contract that wasn't cleared to play?    

If they keep them then i hope they make him go to the Hustle.   We cannot afford to play rehab  games for him all season again.  Plus i really think his presence will be bad for the other guys like it was last season. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I know there is no precedent for it but what was the precedent for signing a guy coming off 3 knee surgeries to a Max contract that wasn't cleared to play?    

If they keep them then i hope they make him go to the Hustle.   We cannot afford to play rehab  games for him all season again.  Plus i really think his presence will be bad for the other guys like it was last season. 

Ones that hangout by the pool in Beverley Hills with movie stars daughters? 

Hmm, you got me. 

Parsons signing just ruined Mike and Marc's glory years as we probably aren't getting close to a ring

Parsons signing alone is reason enough to replace CW

its the only logical thing to do at this point imo

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I didn't include Ennis because I honestly forgot. Ennis is also younger and not recovering from major injury which plays into my thinking a lot more than age. Tyreke has had 3 knee surgeries, struggles to regain his explosiveness to get past anyone (unless it is Nene covering him on the perimeter) and doesn't have the lift to get over shot blockers. Mario is a half step slower than before and struggles to stay in front of people on defense (or even stay on his feet against Chris Paul last night). 

We just see things differently but asking the team to eat Parsons' mega deal seems a bit far fetched on the 2nd year of the deal. That would penalize the franchise for years beyond the contract's length. It's simply making a bad situation worse by stretching him out at this time. Cutting him would keep his salary on the books for 3 years.

The team would be better off trying to get him back to being able to play this season, accept the losses, get a decent lottery pick and develop the younger players. We need to accept the reality that this team isn't going to compete in the playoffs, probably not even reach the playoffs, make moves for the future of the franchise and write off this FO's nightmare off-season. 

Cut Mario and play Harrison and Baldwin so we can find out if they have anything for the future. Trade Wright and play Davis to find out if he has any future. Accept a season of losses to bring in a high lottery pick (before they change the system) so we can add some serious talent to the roster. 

If you go that route then go ahead and trade Marc and Mike no need half way doing it... Harrison showed last year he could be serviceable and Baldwing showed he couldn't no need giving them another year to show the same things.. 

There is no way Wallace would do what you suggested....But honestly I feel like this should be his last year as gm. The Parsons deal cost the team alot on top of the fact that we squandered the last year of Zbo and TA. Now compound that with the reality that Wallace will have to cut a productive player just to get the roster down while Parsons is a Max guy coming off the bench cause he's not good enough to start... Too many bad decisions on Wallace's part it's time for him to step down or get fired.

After watching the 1st half last night, I see no reason to believe this team is a playoff caliber team. The young players aren't really developing well enough to expect major contributions from them, and  vet role players are injury prone, and the top guys are not consistent enough or talented enough to really carry a team.

Fizz fell for the trap that Joerger fell for, trying to reshape the team to fit a style of play, rather than refining the roster to fit the talents and skill sets of the teams best players. For all that Z-Bo and TA lacked in terms of the "New style of NBA play", they were the best players on the team that could keep the team competitive. The best move the Grizz could have made this summer was to try to trade Gasol for a low post player that could give you a legit 20 and 10 a nite (Paul Milsap, heck, maybe even Dwight Howard). That would slow the game down (as winded as they looked after running for 1 qtr, I can't see how anybody expects this team to be able to run like that for 82 games) and give them a legit shot of remaining competitive. they just do not have the talent on the roster to play that way, and I think it is short sighted on the Coaching staff and front office to assume that they could.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Ugh... Harrison the 3rd best??  Uh, No.  

Admittedly, I am not a Harrison fan.  he rarely makes those around him better which is not a good look for a Point Guard. You already mentioned his downside with his body language- you better be very good to offset that show of disgust.  His low BB-IQ so far as a Grizz is problematic. The ball sticks in his hands on offense in regular sets-there is a reason that Fizz subbed mike in end of quarter situations because Harrison's decision making was so poor and he could rarely create a quality shot. I would have no problem with him finding a new home...

10 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

After watching the 1st half last night, I see no reason to believe this team is a playoff caliber team. The young players aren't really developing well enough to expect major contributions from them, and  vet role players are injury prone, and the top guys are not consistent enough or talented enough to really carry a team.

Fizz fell for the trap that Joerger fell for, trying to reshape the team to fit a style of play, rather than refining the roster to fit the talents and skill sets of the teams best players. For all that Z-Bo and TA lacked in terms of the "New style of NBA play", they were the best players on the team that could keep the team competitive. The best move the Grizz could have made this summer was to try to trade Gasol for a low post player that could give you a legit 20 and 10 a nite (Paul Milsap, heck, maybe even Dwight Howard). That would slow the game down (as winded as they looked after running for 1 qtr, I can't see how anybody expects this team to be able to run like that for 82 games) and give them a legit shot of remaining competitive. they just do not have the talent on the roster to play that way, and I think it is short sighted on the Coaching staff and front office to assume that they could.

Fizz is right to change the style of play but the if that is the route he wants to go in and the FO is behind him then Marc will need to go for a big similar to Capella or Wright..For this offense to work we need everyone to be able to run up and down

There aren't that many teams Marc would fit on in today's league  I'd say Cleveland San Antonio and maybe Boston

8 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

After watching the 1st half last night, I see no reason to believe this team is a playoff caliber team. The young players aren't really developing well enough to expect major contributions from them, and  vet role players are injury prone, and the top guys are not consistent enough or talented enough to really carry a team

How is that sentiment different from last season?

I see tons of promise with the way our defense attacks.  That alone gives me hope.  

6 minutes ago, tpt_man said:

Admittedly, I am not a Harrison fan.  he rarely makes those around him better which is not a good look for a Point Guard. You already mentioned his downside with his body language- you better be very good to offset that show of disgust.  His low BB-IQ so far as a Grizz is problematic. The ball sticks in his hands on offense in regular sets-there is a reason that Fizz subbed mike in end of quarter situations because Harrison's decision making was so poor and he could rarely create a quality shot. I would have no problem with him finding a new home...

Im not sure what game you are watching. Even people who dont like harrison recognize that he is great at running the offense and as a secondary ball handler next to mike, which is perfect in that role, along with his defense.

2 minutes ago, tpt_man said:

Harrison as the secondary playmaker with Mike is a good spot for him  Harrison so many people have had these over expectations of what Harrison should be ever since we got him....He has gotten better each year since being drafted he might be developing slowly but he is developing. And I don't think he has reached his peak cause he has the ability to get to the rim but he still isn't receiving vet calls from the refs....His bread and butter offensively will be getting to the free throw line. He would be last on my list of people to cut

4 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Fizz is right to change the style of play but the if that is the route he wants to go in and the FO is behind him then Marc will need to go for a big similar to Capella or Wright..For this offense to work we need everyone to be able to run up and down

There aren't that many teams Marc would fit on in today's league  I'd say Cleveland San Antonio and maybe Boston

Wright fits this offense like a glove.  However, lets give Marc more time to acclimate before completely giving up on him.  Miami was never one of the fastest pace teams in the league when Bron was there.  However, there offense rarely stalled out which is the principal i believe Fiz is trying to instill. 

In the playoffs teams still need the ability to play halfcourt bball so having guys like Marc, Mike, Mario, and Tyreke will pay off more then. 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Wright fits this offense like a glove.  However, lets give Marc more time to acclimate before completely giving up on him.  Miami was never one of the fastest pace teams in the league when Bron was there.  However, there offense rarely stalled out which is the principal i believe Fiz is trying to instill. 

In the playoffs teams still need the ability to play halfcourt bball so having guys like Marc, Mike, Mario, and Tyreke will pay off more then. 

The sole reason the grizzlies overachieve is due to mike and marc pick and role. People on this board are supposed to be knowledgeable about basketball, but sometimes i wonder.

3 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Harrison as the secondary playmaker with Mike is a good spot for him  Harrison so many people have had these over expectations of what Harrison should be ever since we got him....He has gotten better each year since being drafted he might be developing slowly but he is developing. And I don't think he has reached his peak cause he has the ability to get to the rim but he still isn't receiving vet calls from the refs....His bread and butter offensively will be getting to the free throw line. He would be last on my list of people to cut

Yes Harrison is much better in the role as secondary playmaker and defender.  Basically he can become a offensively useful version of Tony Allen. 

Now that Parsons is useless and Rio, Ennis, and Reke are on 1 year deals.  Keeping Harrison around to be able to step up into one their role seems like a smarter move. 

35 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

If you go that route then go ahead and trade Marc and Mike no need half way doing it... Harrison showed last year he could be serviceable and Baldwing showed he couldn't no need giving them another year to show the same things.. 

There is no way Wallace would do what you suggested....But honestly I feel like this should be his last year as gm. The Parsons deal cost the team alot on top of the fact that we squandered the last year of Zbo and TA. Now compound that with the reality that Wallace will have to cut a productive player just to get the roster down while Parsons is a Max guy coming off the bench cause he's not good enough to start... Too many bad decisions on Wallace's part it's time for him to step down or get fired.

I don't agree. Players like Mike and Marc aren't easily replaced. It could be years before you can find someone as talented as them again in the draft. My way is to focus on short term issues for one season and then return with a more experienced team that still has their top two players plus a 3rd elite level player. 

If Fizdale is the master coach who is so great at developing young talent then this would be the ideal time to put it to the test. After the 2018 draft it will be much harder to get a top pick by tanking after all. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't agree. Players like Mike and Marc aren't easily replaced. It could be years before you can find someone as talented as them again in the draft. My way is to focus on short term issues for one season and then return with a more experienced team that still has their top two players plus a 3rd elite level player. 

If Fizdale is the master coach who is so great at developing young talent then this would be the ideal time to put it to the test. After the 2018 draft it will be much harder to get a top pick by tanking after all. 

How many people would kill for a chance at Donovan Mitchell right now.