Sign in to follow this  
notnilc20

Houston Rockets @ Memphis Grizzlies PRESEASON gm.4

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What happened to the man who was preaching about developing youth? Now you want veterans who are coming off of serious injuries that have limited them for most of the last 18 months over developing youth. Are you falling back into the trap that your old buddy Dave Joerger did of wanting to win over develop youth? 

:o:lol:

You do realize that both Martin and Harrison are younger than Parsons, right?   They also check the boxes of player development. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

To be clear I think both Martin and Harrison should stay.   They are just financially the easiest guys to cut.   Parsons is done and Wade is a waste of time.  Those two are the only guys that surefire should be cut if they are basing the decision on team success and not pride.  

I was mainly referring to this comment:

As currently constructed we don't have enough athleticism on second unit due to it primarily featuring all the injury-prone guys.

Just now, chipc3 said:

I was mainly referring to this comment:

That second comment was in regards to Parsons versus Martins.  I should've clarified that.   Inserting Martin into the second unit helps the athleticism of that group.    Last nights rotation had Rio + Reke +Brooks + Parsons + Wright.  Those guys collectively couldn't keep up with the Rockets athletes. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You do realize that both Martin and Harrison are younger than Parsons, right?   They also check the boxes of player development. 

Yes I realize that they are both younger than Parsons. I also realize that there is no way Parsons gets cut. Keeping 31 year old Mario on a one year contract and Evans on a one year contract over Harrison, Baldwin, Martin or any of the other young players is short sighted. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That second comment was in regards to Parsons versus Martins.  I should've clarified that.   Inserting Martin into the second unit helps the athleticism of that group.    Last nights rotation had Rio + Reke +Brooks + Parsons + Wright.  Those guys collectively couldn't keep up with the Rockets athletes. 

Inserting Martin over Parsons doesn't improve the second unit. Chalmers and Evans are both slowed by injury that won't heal anymore than they have. Only Harrison making full court lob passes provided that unit any break opportunities. 

I hope I am wrong but I just see this past summer's moves to be a disaster. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

Yes I realize that they are both younger than Parsons. I also realize that there is no way Parsons gets cut. Keeping 31 year old Mario on a one year contract and Evans on a one year contract over Harrison, Baldwin, Martin or any of the other young players is short sighted. 

Tyreke is only 28yrs old and if he shows that he can help the team.  We potentially can resign him next season to a larger contract.   Chalmers is only 31 and can be resigned as well if he continues to be a good fit.  Why didn't you include Ennis as he is on aone year deal too?    By your logic the only criteria that should be viewed for dismissal is length of contract.  

Why can't Parsons be cut or stretched?

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Tyreke is only 28yrs old and if he shows that he can help the team.  We potentially can resign him next season to a larger contract.   Chalmers is only 31 and can be resigned as well if he continues to be a good fit.  Why didn't you include Ennis as he is on aone year deal too?    By your logic the only criteria that should be viewed for dismissal is length of contract.  

Cmon now there is no way Parsons is being cut or stretched out over 7 years (which really wont gain any significant cap room at this point.

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Inserting Martin over Parsons doesn't improve the second unit. Chalmers and Evans are both slowed by injury that won't heal anymore than they have. Only Harrison making full court lob passes provided that unit any break opportunities. 

Both Chalmers and Evans can score.  The injuries have only slowed their ability to defend at a high level but they are still  passable defenders once their conditioning get better.

The reason i want to insert more athleticism into second unit is strictly for defensive purposes.    I love Dillon Brooks but his inability to stay in front of guys is compounded by having him play with Reke Rio and Parsons.    At the very least if the PF spot was being manned by  Martin or even Vince Hunter then the defense could be competent enough to makeup for their lack of mobility.

18 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I didn't include Ennis because I honestly forgot. Ennis is also younger and not recovering from major injury which plays into my thinking a lot more than age. Tyreke has had 3 knee surgeries, struggles to regain his explosiveness to get past anyone (unless it is Nene covering him on the perimeter) and doesn't have the lift to get over shot blockers. Mario is a half step slower than before and struggles to stay in front of people on defense (or even stay on his feet against Chris Paul last night). 

We just see things differently but asking the team to eat Parsons' mega deal seems a bit far fetched on the 2nd year of the deal. That would penalize the franchise for years beyond the contract's length. It's simply making a bad situation worse by stretching him out at this time. Cutting him would keep his salary on the books for 3 years.

The team would be better off trying to get him back to being able to play this season, accept the losses, get a decent lottery pick and develop the younger players. We need to accept the reality that this team isn't going to compete in the playoffs, probably not even reach the playoffs, make moves for the future of the franchise and write off this FO's nightmare off-season. 

Cut Mario and play Harrison and Baldwin so we can find out if they have anything for the future. Trade Wright and play Davis to find out if he has any future. Accept a season of losses to bring in a high lottery pick (before they change the system) so we can add some serious talent to the roster. 

Our GM's short-sightedness and terrible drafting has finally caught up to him. 

Really, there is nobody on this roster other than Marc or Mike that are viable NBA starters. I like Brooks, he looked better than any rookie we've had in years. Other than that, I seriously think they could cut ANYONE and it would make a minimal difference. One saving grace is that at least we'll have few contracts on the books next year, so we can hopefully bring in some decent players (not counting on **** in free agency though, given our track record). 

Went to the game, and that starting lineup was just so sad. Was thinking Parsons was resting or something, but nope. Here he comes off the bench, and he still can't do ANYTHING. 

I guess we could still make the playoffs... right? :( 

11 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Even before Harrison hit those 2 garbage time 3s, he was making winning plays. People are crazy if they think they are going to let Harrison go.

Martin may be on the chopping block after tonight. I do think Brooks plays like Troy Williams did last year. Why oh why did we let him go.

Martin and Seldon are gone. Maybe. I really don't know.

I do know that Baldwin and Harrison will be on the team. I do think they probably like Chalmers. 

The thing is if we get rid of Martin we are guard heavy.

Did you just say Seldon is gone? Lol ok then. He'll be starting by mid season whether Ben Mac has an injury or not. 

11 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Really, there is nobody on this roster other than Marc or Mike that are viable NBA starters. I like Brooks, he looked better than any rookie we've had in years. Other than that, I seriously think they could cut ANYONE and it would make a minimal difference. One saving grace is that at least we'll have few contracts on the books next year, so we can hopefully bring in some decent players (not counting on **** in free agency though, given our track record). 

Went to the game, and that starting lineup was just so sad. Was thinking Parsons was resting or something, but nope. Here he comes off the bench, and he still can't do ANYTHING. 

That starting lineup was legit until they ran or of gas by the middle of the second quarter. Good ball movement, finding open guys, getting deflections etc. 

conditioning and and being able to use legs after a quarter or two are going to be a must if this team wants to play this way. 

That and guys guys have to get comfortable at the three. I still shoot better than all of them. 

16 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

You are right. They could cut just about anyone and it would make a small difference. Sadly, Chalmers looks like the 3rd best offensive player. That wouldnt be good even in his prime.

44 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I didn't include Ennis because I honestly forgot. Ennis is also younger and not recovering from major injury which plays into my thinking a lot more than age. Tyreke has had 3 knee surgeries, struggles to regain his explosiveness to get past anyone (unless it is Nene covering him on the perimeter) and doesn't have the lift to get over shot blockers. Mario is a half step slower than before and struggles to stay in front of people on defense (or even stay on his feet against Chris Paul last night). 

We just see things differently but asking the team to eat Parsons' mega deal seems a bit far fetched on the 2nd year of the deal. That would penalize the franchise for years beyond the contract's length. It's simply making a bad situation worse by stretching him out at this time. Cutting him would keep his salary on the books for 3 years.

The team would be better off trying to get him back to being able to play this season, accept the losses, get a decent lottery pick and develop the younger players. We need to accept the reality that this team isn't going to compete in the playoffs, probably not even reach the playoffs, make moves for the future of the franchise and write off this FO's nightmare off-season. 

Cut Mario and play Harrison and Baldwin so we can find out if they have anything for the future. Trade Wright and play Davis to find out if he has any future. Accept a season of losses to bring in a high lottery pick (before they change the system) so we can add some serious talent to the roster. 

Wow, this is gloomy.

The "disaster" of an off-season?

I'm curious to hear your explanation of what exactly the front office did this summer that was a "disaster?" I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes or missed opportunities, but "disaster?" That's a strong word.

I think you're potentially correct about Tyreke. I brought it up in the pre-season game thread from the Sixers game. Tyreke on the wing doesn't make sense, unless he's going to shoot catch-and-shoot threes as a major part of his offensive arsenal. He cannot be a ball-stopper, over-dribbling, and then trying to play old-Tyreke isolation basketball. That will kill the second unit. If he's playing point guard, and initiating a set, then sure. But if he's catching the ball off of a kickout or a swing pass to the perimeter, he has to play the role of a wing guy, not an isolation point guard. If he can't do that, and we're not going to play him at point guard, then he's not going to work out. He's a worse version of Evan Turner - positionless and inefficient.

I think you're definitely wrong about Chalmers. He's a solid addition and he's got enough physically to compete. He was never a lockdown defender. He really looks to me like he's made an almost entirely full recovery. If you're in win-now mode, he's a legit backup point guard. Assuming we're not blowing it up (because we're actually not), then Chalmer is your backup point guard.

That obviously bleeds into what to do about Harrison and Baldwin. I'm of the opinion that Harrison is basically trash with very little upside potential, if any, and Baldwin has the potential to be playable, but really hasn't shown the IQ run an offense. Baldwin can get out there and really defend, rebound, etc., but then he gets down on the other end of the court and he seems like he really has no idea what's going on or what he even is and is not capable of doing himself. Some of that IQ stuff makes you wonder about the coaching staff. For example, if we've been running the same basic offensive sets since we picked Baldwin up, and we've supposedly been "developing" these guys at the D-League and Summer League levels, then how in the world can Baldwin still not know what to do in a pick-and-roll based offense, or in an offense based off of a point-center, high post action (the two main things we run). In one offense, you as the point guard are the quarter back, making the first decision for the offense off of the screen, and everything else is predicated on you choosing to either pull up and shoot, drive and attack, pass back to the screener for a pick-and-pop, pass to the screen for a pick-and-roll, or drive and kick to the wing for an open three. HOW DOES HE NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS??? It's infuriating when I really think about it, actually, as I am now. In the other offense, you drop off to Marc, and principally let him make the decisions, and mostly have to be available to catch and shoot or catch and reset for the short-clock offense if the first action didn't create a designed look/shot attempt. And that's not rocket science at all.  Any dunce can do this; you mostly need to be a minimally-viable threat from the perimeter, so the defense has to actually guard you. 

What I don't understand, in terms of Wade Baldwin not developing, is this: What are the Grizzlies/the franchise doing, if they're not making Wade watch film of pick and rolls, and run pick and roll actions in the gym non-stop? He doesn't know HOW to do it. It's obvious from watching him. And that shouldn't be possible. We should be able to see that he, like most players, knows HOW to do it, and then determine whether he has the physical skills/athleticism, etc., to actually execute and be good. Harrison knows how to do it, he knows how to play basketball - he just sucks. Baldwin doesn't know how to play basketball. So, I ask, how could he not have, by now, run a pick-and-roll in the gym, with coaches and cones, and/or with the other young guys like Davis, 10,000 times over. Dribble hard around the screen, step back, shoot. Dribble hard around the screen, hesitate, attack. Attack the paint, kick strong side. Attack the paint, floater. Attack the paint, kick back to screener. Attack the paint, dish/kick weak side. 

Almost everything else that is going on on the court offensively is irrelevant. The @#$%&*!@ question that remains is whether Wade Baldwin can run a pick and roll offense. And we still have no idea whether he's any more capable of that than we did this time last year. And that's just freaking inexcusable.

I got way off on a tangent here, but I'm just not sure people are talking about the right things when they're talking about this team and this franchise right now. 

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Cmon now there is no way Parsons is being cut or stretched out over 7 years (which really wont gain any significant cap room at this point.

So why can't we just cut him instead of stretching him?   The roster spot is more valuable at this point.    The guys who would be more productive at his spot are Harrison and Martin.  Neither one of them will cost us anything to keep.     

Seems pretty apparent that FO doesn't believe Memphis will stick around for a rebuild so they are actually trying to win games.     If that is the case then you keep the guys on the roster that actually help win games.  

Isn't it better to remove the guy who will be a distraction and more than likely cause locker-room resentment if he stays?   

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So why can't we just cut him instead of stretching him?   The roster spot is more valuable at this point.    The guys who would be more productive at his spot are Harrison and Martin.  Neither one of them will cost us anything to keep.     

Seems pretty apparent that FO doesn't believe Memphis will stick around for a rebuild so they are actually trying to win games.     If that is the case then you keep the guys on the roster that actually help win games.  

Isn't it better to remove the guy who will be a distraction and more than likely cause locker-room resentment if he stays?   

QUESTION:

I wasn't able to watch this one, so I want to know: Did the second unit run pick-and-roll with Chandler as the screener? How many times/roughly how often? 

QUESTION 2:

Why isn't Chandler shooting the ball every time he catches it behind the line with room to shoot? 

I don't think we know what Chandler Parsons is, unless we know the answer to these two questions. If Chandler can set an effective pick, then pop for three, and he can get off three to five good-look threes per game doing this, then we've got something to work with. If he can't do that, then who knows.  It seems like there should be plenty of opportunity with the second unit for this to be happening. But, going back to my pre-season soapbox, the second unit has been such an incoherent, unorganized mess, that I'm not sure we actually have any idea what we're working with. 

Abject wastes of roster spots with no hope of contributing this year (nearly 1/3 of the roster):

Parsons

Rabb

Baldwin

Zag

boarderline terrible:

Reke-he NEVER sees the open man and doesn't seem to feel the game-BBIQ

Martin-again BBIQ, but all the tools are there. Strotential in a different way

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Financially no. Once he reaches the end of his deal he becomes somewhat moveable in a trade. The roster spot is being saved for who? Jarell Martin? Martin had some preseason moments but overall he is a pretty useless player himself who likely wont be picked up once we cut him.

I dont fully know about this part, but  if he has an injury, I believe insurance will cover part of his deal? Dont think this happens if he is cut.

Parsons is trash, but the cheap trash is going first. Thats how it works.

Herodotus - Perhaps disastrous was strong. Let's look at the moves the front office has made this summer. 

• Traded for the rights to Ivan Rabb. He missed summer league due to an injury. The team knew he needed a lot of strength work but delayed until a couple of days before training camp to sign him so they couldn't take advantage of the summer to help start the process.
  • Traded for the draft rights to Dillon Brooks. Signed him after an impressive summer league. Shows promise. 
  • Lost fan favorite Zach Randolph to free agency. 
  • Lost fan favorite Tony Allen to free agency
  • Lost fan favorite Vince Carter to free agency
  • Signed Ben McLemore from the Kings (when Sacramento failed to exercise the final year of his rookie contract) and gave him a raise in the process. McLemore promptly broke his foot and has missed all of training camp while recovering. 
  • Signed their own free agent JaMychal Green to a 2 year deal after the start of training camp despite his not being offered any other contract. New Contract pays him $6 million more than his qualifying offer would have. 
  • Signed Tyreke Evans to a one year deal for $3.3 million despite playing just 65 games in the last two seasons and having 3 knee surgeries. 
  • Signed Mario Chalmers after being out of the league for over 18 months after tearing his Achilles Heal. 
  • Signed Rade Zagorac who's rights they acquired during the 2016 draft. 

The team lost three popular veterans who wanted to return and teach the younger players on the team. Memphis now has to cut two players with partially or fully guaranteed contracts because they have too many players signed for the season. The coach has expressed a desire to play uptempo so the front office signed a player recovering from a torn Achilles, a player recovering from 3 knee surgeries (who was never that quick to begin with according to GTF), a player who was released from one of the worst teams in the league who promptly broke his foot, a power forward who played for one of the slowest college basketball teams with an injured ankle and a slow European combo forward who doesn't appear to be close to ready in the league. The entire basis of optimism for the fans right now is that Parsons will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Evans will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Chalmers will return to form after tearing his Achilles, Conley and Gasol will be healthy all-season and at least 2 if not more of the young players will develop despite most of them being undrafted or 2nd round choices in the draft. 

And the team somehow managed to do all this by running right up to the luxury tax line so it becomes nearly impossible to make trades. 

What word would you choose to describe this off-season?

Just now, Herodotus said:

QUESTION:

I wasn't able to watch this one, so I want to know: Did the second unit run pick-and-roll with Chandler as the screener? How many times/roughly how often? 

QUESTION 2:

What isn't Chandler shooting the ball every time he catches it behind the line with room to shoot? 

I don't think we know what Chandler Parsons is, unless we know the answer to these two questions. If Chandler can set an effective pick, then pop for three, and he can get off three to five good-look threes per game doing this, then we've got something to work with. If he can't do that, then who knows.  It seems like there should be plenty of opportunity with the second unit for this to be happening. But, going back to be pre-season soapbox, the second unit has been such an incoherent, unorganized mess, that I'm not sure we actually have any idea what we're working with. 

Chandler is basically doing exactly the same thing he was doing last season Except with slightly more mobility.   Teammates stopped passing him the ball because all he does is pass it back out anyway.   His shot is still flat and he still can't guard light post.   I think Parsons on the floor with Reke and Rio actually encourages them to go into hero mode more often.      

Overall having guys playing for a roster spot while trying to integrate rehabbing guys makes evaluating the team extremely difficult. 

However, one thing that is easy to evaluate is that Parsons isn't an NBA player.    His best usage is on the Hustle to see if he can atleast become a viable Stretch 4.   Which defeats the purpose of his signing.  

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Herodotus - Perhaps disastrous was strong. Let's look at the moves the front office has made this summer. 

• Traded for the rights to Ivan Rabb. He missed summer league due to an injury. The team knew he needed a lot of strength work but delayed until a couple of days before training camp to sign him so they couldn't take advantage of the summer to help start the process.
  • Traded for the draft rights to Dillon Brooks. Signed him after an impressive summer league. Shows promise. 
  • Lost fan favorite Zach Randolph to free agency. 
  • Lost fan favorite Tony Allen to free agency
  • Lost fan favorite Vince Carter to free agency
  • Signed Ben McLemore from the Kings (when Sacramento failed to exercise the final year of his rookie contract) and gave him a raise in the process. McLemore promptly broke his foot and has missed all of training camp while recovering. 
  • Signed their own free agent JaMychal Green to a 2 year deal after the start of training camp despite his not being offered any other contract. New Contract pays him $6 million more than his qualifying offer would have. 
  • Signed Tyreke Evans to a one year deal for $3.3 million despite playing just 65 games in the last two seasons and having 3 knee surgeries. 
  • Signed Mario Chalmers after being out of the league for over 18 months after tearing his Achilles Heal. 
  • Signed Rade Zagorac who's rights they acquired during the 2016 draft. 

The team lost three popular veterans who wanted to return and teach the younger players on the team. Memphis now has to cut two players with partially or fully guaranteed contracts because they have too many players signed for the season. The coach has expressed a desire to play uptempo so the front office signed a player recovering from a torn Achilles, a player recovering from 3 knee surgeries (who was never that quick to begin with according to GTF), a player who was released from one of the worst teams in the league who promptly broke his foot, a power forward who played for one of the slowest college basketball teams with an injured ankle and a slow European combo forward who doesn't appear to be close to ready in the league. The entire basis of optimism for the fans right now is that Parsons will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Evans will return to form after 3 knee surgeries, Chalmers will return to form after tearing his Achilles, Conley and Gasol will be healthy all-season and at least 2 if not more of the young players will develop despite most of them being undrafted or 2nd round choices in the draft. 

What word would you choose to describe this off-season?

Chip, I get what you are saying. But I dont know how you can put this all on one offseason. Thats the shortsighted view that many hear have been talking for years. Notice that most dont even talk about it anymore cause the writing has been on the wall. What happened last offseason was the position they put themselves in after years of poor moves and no planning. What they put together this offseason may have been the best they could do, as sad as that is.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I agree with chip, tyreke was a dumb player to get, ben mac is a little better since he is young and could develop. But the grizzlies made a terrible move not keeping troy williams, they made a bad move giving parsons that contract.

Tyreke is such a low iq player.

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Financially no. Once he reaches the end of his deal he becomes somewhat moveable in a trade. The roster spot is being saved for who? Jarell Martin? Martin had some preseason moments but overall he is a pretty useless player himself who likely wont be picked up once we cut him.

I dont fully know about this part, but  if he has an injury, I believe insurance will cover part of his deal? Dont think this happens if he is cut.

Parsons is trash, but the cheap trash is going first. Thats how it works.

If he can't play - whats the point in keeping him.  That's all i am saying.   It's similar to when Chalmers went down with his injury.   They had to cut him to free up the roster spot.  

Parsons and his contract is a serious dark cloud hanging over this org.    "Saveface" move would be to cut him or convince him to retire.  Then fire Chris Wallace because no way in Hades did Parsons get medically cleared to get signed.   

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Chip, I get what you are saying. But I dont know how you can put this all on one offseason. Thats the shortsighted view that many hear have been talking for years. Notice that most dont even talk about it anymore cause the writing has been on the wall. What happened last offseason was the position they put themselves in after years of poor moves and no planning. What they put together this offseason may have been the best they could do, as sad as that is.

So you agree this was a bad off-season but you feel that I was too cruel just focusing on this summer and calling it a disaster because there have been other disastrous off-seasons? 

Tyreke isn't doing anything that Zbo hadn't been doing for years and getting praised for.   

Guess if he had #50 on his jersey and jab stepped 8x before barreling into a triple team while yelling "throw it to the hand!" then he would be viewed differently. 

Chalmers is chucking too - heck the entire second unit outside of Brooks and Parsons are going 1 on 1.    I'm cool with Chalmers and Reke testing themselves and trying to get into a groove during Preseason.   

If Reke role is to be the 6th man scorer then what he is doing isn't out of the norm.    Lance, Jamal, Zbo, LouWil all play the same way in that role.