Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Memphis's future starting lineup projection thread

8 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Funny you should say that when there are only five guys left who played over 700 minutes last season, and only three of those were starters.  We have had a lot of movement.  You may be skeptical of how successful we can be with the talent that we have, but I'm sure it will be different.  In other words, not neutral, reverse maybe?

Yeah, I mean, you can argue about the quality of our draft picks and offseason hires, or how our options have been constrained by earlier FO decisions, but you can't say moving on from TA and ZBo (for better or worse) is the same as not doing anything.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, I mean, you can argue about the quality of our draft picks and offseason hires, or how our options have been constrained by earlier FO decisions, but you can't say moving on from TA and ZBo (for better or worse) is the same as not doing anything.

I think he moreso means that the outlook or the potential of the team hasnt changed and wont change for a while.

Personally, I'm excited to see how this year goes.  But on this subject I have to disagree with you KBM....I don't see either of those players as becoming legit NBA starters.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Opening Day starting lineup

Mike

Reke

Ennis

JaM

Gasol

Parsons will be backup PF until his conditioning is better.  

Pretty much sounds accurate except Selden might actually get a look at starting 2guard as part of the new look younger, less grit&grind Grizz?  Lots of swiss-army-knife guards off the bench contributing at times as PG, at times the 2.  Chalmers being better than expected already does make it a better crowded field of backcourt candidates.  Too bad our quality experiece/depth at the 4/5 backing up Gasol and Jam is questionable.

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think he moreso means that the outlook or the potential of the team hasnt changed and wont change for a while.

He says the team is boring and he wishes for movement.  How do we know if the team is boring or not yet?  We've had movement, whether good or bad remains to be seen.  If he wants more movement maybe he should try a laxative, because I don't see how we're going to move anyone else without establishing value of some of our young players, unless we move Mike or Marc, and I would rather not do that.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:55 PM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The board is dead because the team is boring.

There really is no suspense with this season or the players on the team, I wish there would be some kind of movement either good or bad because right now we are stuck in neutral, 

I’m excited to see the team next week. I don’t think they have the ingredients to make the playoffs but it is not like it is not possible.

Still, board is dead because we lack star power.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

He says the team is boring and he wishes for movement.  How do we know if the team is boring or not yet?  We've had movement, whether good or bad remains to be seen.  If he wants more movement maybe he should try a laxative, because I don't see how we're going to move anyone else without establishing value of some of our young players, unless we move Mike or Marc, and I would rather not do that.

I hate to dissect a single post to much as if we are quoting Shakespeare, but I am kind of feeling the same way so I get where he is coming from.  I think the part that you didn't highlight was the key.  Stuck in the neutral.  Yes, the Grizzlies did move parts this offseason, but from a talent and expectations perspective they were lateral moves.  "Boring" is hard to define because it's all about how each person sees it, but from a talent or on paper standpoint this team looks fairly boring.   You have Marc/Mike, 3 guys coming off major injuries hoping to revive their careers and a slew of young players that are not expected to do much.  You may get some minor surprises, the 3 bad leg players may become a mirage of what they used to be, but all in all you have a lot of low ceiling guys individually and as a team. 

I mean if Dillon Brooks and Wayne Selden or someone just breaks out into a double digit scorer then you have something to really make you want to watch every night (from my perspective).  But this would be a major surprise for most and not something that you are anxious to see if it would happen cause you don't expect it.

52 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I hate to dissect a single post to much as if we are quoting Shakespeare, but I am kind of feeling the same way so I get where he is coming from.  I think the part that you didn't highlight was the key.  Stuck in the neutral.  Yes, the Grizzlies did move parts this offseason, but from a talent and expectations perspective they were lateral moves.  "Boring" is hard to define because it's all about how each person sees it, but from a talent or on paper standpoint this team looks fairly boring.   You have Marc/Mike, 3 guys coming off major injuries hoping to revive their careers and a slew of young players that are not expected to do much.  You may get some minor surprises, the 3 bad leg players may become a mirage of what they used to be, but all in all you have a lot of low ceiling guys individually and as a team. 

I mean if Dillon Brooks and Wayne Selden or someone just breaks out into a double digit scorer then you have something to really make you want to watch every night (from my perspective).  But this would be a major surprise for most and not something that you are anxious to see if it would happen cause you don't expect it.

I can understand that opinion a bit.    Personally, i am excited to see Mike and Marc fully unshackled and see if our defense can still be top notch.    Also i want to see which young guy embraces the new opportunity(Selden, Brooks, Davis, or Ben).    I want to see if Tyreke can fit the role of instant offense dynamic scorer for us.     

Honestly, Parsons is the least favorite thing about the new season to me.  I have never been a fan of his.   

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Well he probably shouldn't have made the statement about movement good or bad because we have had that, we just don't know the good or bad part yet.  It may be that he doesn't see the movements as significant, maybe they're not, but sometimes it's hard to get a grasp on what IIWII is thinking because he just likes to duck in here and post one or two negative comments and make a quick exit.

I'm not really disputing anything he is saying except the part about movement, unless I am misunderstanding what he means by that term.  I was assuming player movement.  Zbo, Allen, Carter, and Daniels have all moved out.  Evans, McLemore, Chalmers, and a new crop of rookies have moved in.  That's movement.  It may not excite him, but it is movement.

27 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I can understand that opinion a bit.    Personally, i am excited to see Mike and Marc fully unshackled and see if our defense can still be top notch.    Also i want to see which young guy embraces the new opportunity(Selden, Brooks, Davis, or Ben).    I want to see if Tyreke can fit the role of instant offense dynamic scorer for us.     

Honestly, Parsons is the least favorite thing about the new season to me.  I have never been a fan of his.   

I don't have a great feeling about Parsons either, but I do wish for him to help the team succeed.  I am expecting more from Evans, Chalmers, Wright, and McLemore frankly.

IhateWhatIhate is usually all doom&gloom. A neutral forecast is the same as positive for anyone else. The last time that I remember he went to bat like that was ... for Ed Davis. :rolleyes::D

whats up with the parsons hate...he looked pretty good to me...he is not confident in his shot yet..but he is making plays for his teammates...I know a lot of ppl are looking at his game on the offensive side but I have been watching him on defense and he is moving rather well...if he was constantly getting blown by I would be very worried about his knee being complete wrecked.

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

whats up with the parsons hate...he looked pretty good to me...he is not confident in his shot yet..but he is making plays for his teammates...I know a lot of ppl are looking at his game on the offensive side but I have been watching him on defense and he is moving rather well...if he was constantly getting blown by I would be very worried about his knee being complete wrecked.

If you can’t see how Parsons is struggling on both ends of the court already, there is nothing anyone can say here to change your mind.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:54 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Opening Day starting lineup

Mike

Reke

Ennis

JaM

Gasol

Parsons will be backup PF until his conditioning is better.  

Peter Edmiston‏ @peteredmiston

David Fizdale, on whether Chandler Parsons is a 4 now: "Yeah, for the most part, but in certain situations I'll still use him as a 3, if I want to play bigger on the wing. But if he and J-Myke are on the floor, J-Myke takes the toughest matchup, Chandler defends another guy."

Fiz comments about Parsons makes this seem like more of a reality. I see the full rotation as follows:

Mike/Rio

Reke/Wayne

Ennis/Brooks

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

----Once Ben returns it will change to this---

Mike/Rio

Reke/Ben

Ennis/Wayne

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

Now that Parsons is a reserve it becomes more of a necessity to have another ball-handler scorer on perimeter to help Mike.   Reke fits that description like a glove.   Rio and Parsons can be the main scorers/facilitators for the bench unit.   This is a much more balanced rotation and doesn't force a limited Parsons on the starters.  He basically becomes a lower usage version of Zbo.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

David Fizdale, on whether Chandler Parsons is a 4 now: "Yeah, for the most part, but in certain situations I'll still use him as a 3, if I want to play bigger on the wing. But if he and J-Myke are on the floor, J-Myke takes the toughest matchup, Chandler defends another guy."

Fiz comments about Parsons makes this seem like more of a reality. I see the full rotation as follows:

Mike/Rio

Reke/Wayne

Ennis/Brooks

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

Mike/Rio

Reke/Ben

Ennis/Wayne

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

Now that Parsons is a reserve it becomes more of a necessity to have another ball-handler scorer on perimeter to help Mike.   Reke fits that description like a glove.   Rio and Parsons can be the main scorers/facilitators for the bench unit.   This is a much more balanced rotation and doesn't force a limited Parsons on the starters.  He basically becomes a lower usage version of Zbo.  

That is not a playoff roster in my eyes. I hope I am wrong. I will be at the games cheering for them to win at least. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Mike/Rio

Reke/Wayne

Ennis/Brooks

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

Mike/Rio

Reke/Ben

Ennis/Wayne

Jam/Parsons

Gasol/Wright

That is probably inaccurate in the following ways:

McLemore is the starting SG, pretty much without doubt, so long as he is healthy. Selden is primarily a SG, then a SF, but where he sees most of minutes I don't believe has been determined yet. If he can play defense like a pit bull, and put the ball in the basket on the offensive end, he might end up being in the top-7 or -8 in minutes played. Tyreke is a back up, probably primarily at SG, but also likely at SF and may also see minutes at PG; I also don't believe this has been determined yet, because his health is still a question. Also, how well he can shoot a catch and shoot three from the wings and the corners is also a question.

Martin may be in the PF rotation. We don't know yet, but that would make a big difference. 

I think they're going to have to give D Davis varsity minutes this season, at least so they can make a determination as to what they've got in him. Otherwise, what's the point.

2 hours ago, Herodotus said:

That is probably inaccurate in the following ways:

McLemore is the starting SG, pretty much without doubt, so long as he is healthy. Selden is primarily a SG, then a SF, but where he sees most of minutes I don't believe has been determined yet. If he can play defense like a pit bull, and put the ball in the basket on the offensive end, he might end up being in the top-7 or -8 in minutes played. Tyreke is a back up, probably primarily at SG, but also likely at SF and may also see minutes at PG; I also don't believe this has been determined yet, because his health is still a question. Also, how well he can shoot a catch and shoot three from the wings and the corners is also a question.

Martin may be in the PF rotation. We don't know yet, but that would make a big difference. 

I think they're going to have to give D Davis varsity minutes this season, at least so they can make a determination as to what they've got in him. Otherwise, what's the point.

Ronald Tillery‏ @CAGrizBeat

Shootaround - Griz coach Fiz on starting 5: "I'm still searching. The starting 5 won't be in stone until I get a good look at Ben McLemore."

Until Ben is healthy hard to pencil him in as starting SG.    Parsons being used as primarily the backup 4 changes everything.   The only positions that are set currently are Starters: Mike, JaMyke, and Marc.  Backup PG: Chalmers,  Backup Center: Wright.   Backup PF: Parsons.    Everything else is fluid.    

There is no reason to play Tyreke at PG when that position is already locked down by Mike and Rio.    Right now Ennis is the most proven and capable SF on the team.   He has also started all 3 of the preseason games so far.    JaMyke has started last game at PF and just resigned to be the starter.  That's 4 starting positions filled so far.     

Now with Ben injured the question becomes who gets the starting SG spot till he is available to compete for it.   The initial assumption was Seldon but that was the assumption based off on Parsons being starting SF.    Selden and JaMyke would good compliments to MIke+Marc+Parsons as athletic defenders to cover for Parsons on the wing.     Now that he isn't starting we no longer need all 3D guys around Mike + Marc.     Parsons was also supposed to be another playmaker to help on perimeter with Conley.   Ben, Wayne, nor Ennis provide that skillset.    Tyreke does.   Which is why i believe he is the better fit now that Parsons will be a reserve.     Plus having a bench unit of Rio + Ben + Tyreke + Parsons + Wright  means there are one too many guys that needs the ball in their hands to be effective.  

If Ben shows himself worthy of being a starter then just move Tyreke to starting SF and move Ennis to backup SF.   I know the entire reason we signed Parsons was to give Mike some perimeter help with scoring, facilitating and playmaking.    Parsons' isn't healthy enough to do that on the perimeter but Tyreke is.     

Those are the reasons why he should be starting.  As long as the other wing is a capable 3pt shooter then it doesn't matter if Reke plays SG or SF.   

20 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ronald Tillery‏ @CAGrizBeat

Shootaround - Griz coach Fiz on starting 5: "I'm still searching. The starting 5 won't be in stone until I get a good look at Ben McLemore."

Until Ben is healthy hard to pencil him in as starting SG.    Parsons being used as primarily the backup 4 changes everything.   The only positions that are set currently are Starters: Mike, JaMyke, and Marc.  Backup PG: Chalmers,  Backup Center: Wright.   Backup PF: Parsons.    Everything else is fluid.    

There is no reason to play Tyreke at PG when that position is already locked down by Mike and Rio.    Right now Ennis is the most proven and capable SF on the team.   He has also started all 3 of the preseason games so far.    JaMyke has started last game at PF and just resigned to be the starter.  That's 4 starting positions filled so far.     

Now with Ben injured the question becomes who gets the starting SG spot till he is available to compete for it.   The initial assumption was Seldon but that was the assumption based off on Parsons being starting SF.    Selden and JaMyke would good compliments to MIke+Marc+Parsons as athletic defenders to cover for Parsons on the wing.     Now that he isn't starting we no longer need all 3D guys around Mike + Marc.     Parsons was also supposed to be another playmaker to help on perimeter with Conley.   Ben, Wayne, nor Ennis provide that skillset.    Tyreke does.   Which is why i believe he is the better fit now that Parsons will be a reserve.     Plus having a bench unit of Rio + Ben + Tyreke + Parsons + Wright  means there are one too many guys that needs the ball in their hands to be effective.  

If Ben shows himself worthy of being a starter then just move Tyreke to starting SF and move Ennis to backup SF.   I know the entire reason we signed Parsons was to give Mike some perimeter help with scoring, facilitating and playmaking.    Parsons' isn't healthy enough to do that on the perimeter but Tyreke is.     

Those are the reasons why he should be starting.  As long as the other wing is a capable 3pt shooter then it doesn't matter if Reke plays SG or SF.   

I see harrison as our backup point, and maybe even our starting 2.

Chalmers may not even make the roster and even if he does, he may not last and even if he does last (not get hurt) he may not be effective. In the brief time he played for the grizzlies, his everything was better than at any point in his entire time with miami. After his first preseason game this year he has gotten progressively worse.

Again, if rio takes a roster spot away from a younger player it would be a shortsighted move. No way the guy plays 82 games without getting injuried and no way he plays to last years level.

Yall need to get real.

17 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I see harrison as our backup point, and maybe even our starting 2.

Chalmers may not even make the roster and even if he does, he may not last and even if he does last (not get hurt) he may not be effective. In the brief time he played for the grizzlies, his everything was better than at any point in his entire time with miami. After his first preseason game this year he has gotten progressively worse.

Again, if rio takes a roster spot away from a younger player it would be a shortsighted move. No way the guy plays 82 games without getting injuried and no way he plays to last years level.

Yall need to get real.

you need to get real if you think the FO is cutting brooks.

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

If you can’t see how Parsons is struggling on both ends of the court already, there is nothing anyone can say here to change your mind.

change my mind for what...I call it like I see it...he is struggling scoring the ball..bt he is doing a good job of setting guys up and moving the ball....and on defense he been as good as a parsons can be on defense....I think you guys just hate the guy...I could care less about his personal like...what he has done on the court is promising...play good defense is the hardest thing to do if you have bad knees and he has being playing pretty good defense.

11 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

you need to get real if you think the FO is cutting brooks.

Listen, just because brooks scored 24 against the jazz in summer league does not mean that he is some great rookie prospect, either.

I am not saying the Grizz wont try to develop him, but he isnt ready to take a roster spot from others.

3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Listen, just because brooks scored 24 against the jazz in summer league does not mean that he is some great rookie prospect, either.

I am not saying the Grizz wont try to develop him, but he isnt ready to take a roster spot from others.

that's the thing you don't get...he doesn't have to take a roster spot...he already has one.