The REF

Should Grizzlies Just Forfeit The Season ūüėā?

I mean the Western Conference just got got ridiculous with all the off-seasons power moves!

How can the Grizzlies possibly keep up? 

JaMychal helps us win games, so I'm keeping him.

Jarell and Wade are the two guys I'd be looking to move on from since there's at least 3 guys already in front of both.

If one of them blows me away in preseason, I'm getting rid of James Ennis since there's a logjam at SF...but I prefer keeping Ennis since he may be able to slide over to small ball PF.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's hard to see us being much more than an 8th seed this year.  Our wild-cards are Parsons and Tyreke.  If both can regain their form, we could be pretty good.  I'm hoping for the best, but this feels like a year we need to spend developing the youngsters ... especially if we get off to a slow start.

1 hour ago, pjoe said:

Yeah, I'm afraid it's hard to see us being much more than an 8th seed this year.  Our wild-cards are Parsons and Tyreke.  If both can regain their form, we could be pretty good.  I'm hoping for the best, but this feels like a year we need to spend developing the youngsters ... especially if we get off to a slow start.

looking at the roster we are going to be developing youngster no matter what....good or bad start.

8 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

JaMychal helps us win games, so I'm keeping him.

Jarell and Wade are the two guys I'd be looking to move on from since there's at least 3 guys already in front of both.

If one of them blows me away in preseason, I'm getting rid of James Ennis since there's a logjam at SF...but I prefer keeping Ennis since he may be able to slide over to small ball PF.

What logjam? Parsons hasn’t proven he can play many games without getting hurt. Tyreke Evans has similar knee issues. Rade Zagorac hasn’t proven anything yet.

if Evans and Parsons are healthy then Ennis could lose minutes but Evans, when healthy is more of a combo guard anyway.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:37 AM, chipc3 said:

What logjam? Parsons hasn’t proven he can play many games without getting hurt. Tyreke Evans has similar knee issues. Rade Zagorac hasn’t proven anything yet.

if Evans and Parsons are healthy then Ennis could lose minutes but Evans, when healthy is more of a combo guard anyway.

You just answered your own question. 

3 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

You just answered your own question. 

You seem to associate logjam with depth. I do not.

The Grizzlies have depth on the wings but don't have a logjam. There is open competition at the 2 guard not a logjam. There are many players capable of playing multiple positions such as Evans, Harrison, Chalmers, Parsons and Zagorac. Not a logjam. There is a sparse amount of bigs (Gasol, Davis, Wright, Rabb) but the anticipation of Green being signed and in camp soon. 

Honestly I would describe our problem as less of a logjam and more of a sparseness of quality. The Grizzlies have numerous solid players and no true NBA starters outside of Gasol and Conley. 

To me a logjam would be 4-5 centers who can't play any other position. A logjam would be 4-5 Point Guards who are limited playing SG. I don't see a logjam being mutltiple players capable of playing multiple positions (and regretably for multiple teams).  The Grizzlies have players capable of playing multiple positions.

Unfortunately they haven't proven they can remain healthy or have talent to excel in these roles. If there is a logjam issue with this team it will be fighting for a spot on the training table. :(

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have numerous solid starting level players and no true NBA AllStars starters outside of Gasol and Conley. 

Fixed that for you.     JaMychal was a solid starter last season. Tyreke is a starting level talent.  Parsons has been a starter majority of his career.  Chalmers and Ben have been starters most of their careers.  

37 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You seem to associate logjam with depth. I do not.

The Grizzlies have depth on the wings but don't have a logjam. There is open competition at the 2 guard not a logjam. There are many players capable of playing multiple positions such as Evans, Harrison, Chalmers, Parsons and Zagorac. Not a logjam. There is a sparse amount of bigs (Gasol, Davis, Wright, Rabb) but the anticipation of Green being signed and in camp soon. 

Honestly I would describe our problem as less of a logjam and more of a sparseness of quality. The Grizzlies have numerous solid players and no true NBA starters outside of Gasol and Conley. 

To me a logjam would be 4-5 centers who can't play any other position. A logjam would be 4-5 Point Guards who are limited playing SG. I don't see a logjam being mutltiple players capable of playing multiple positions (and regretably for multiple teams).  The Grizzlies have players capable of playing multiple positions.

Unfortunately they haven't proven they can remain healthy or have talent to excel in these roles. If there is a logjam issue with this team it will be fighting for a spot on the training table. :(

You don't think it's a logjam, I think it is. Difference of opinion. 

If you read my post, I said if one of the borderline roster guys (Martin or Baldwin/Harrison) outperforms expectations in pre-season, Ennis is next in line on the chopping block due to the depth we have at his positon (plus, you forgot to mention Dillon Brooks in either response).

Again, my opinion. You don't have to agree. Doesn't make my opinion right and it doesn't make yours wrong.

21 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Fixed that for you.     JaMychal was a solid starter last season. Tyreke is a starting level talent.  Parsons has been a starter majority of his career.  Chalmers and Ben have been starters most of their careers.  

JaMychal was benched last season and was not a solid NBA starter. He was a fringe starter. That is why he didn't have anyone offering a big contract this summer. 

Tyreke was a solid starter but hasn't been one for years. This is 2017 not 2014. 

Parsons was a solid NBA starter in the past as well and was annointed a starter some last season but he hasn't proven to be a solid NBA starter since he knee issues surfaced two years ago. 

If you want to say something different that is your right. Please don't alter my words to mean something I didn't write. 

2 minutes ago, The_PROOF said:

If you read my post, I said if one of the borderline roster guys (Martin or Baldwin/Harrison) outperforms expectations in pre-season, Ennis is next in line on the chopping block due to the depth we have at his positon (plus, you forgot to mention Dillon Brooks in either response).

Again, my opinion. You don't have to agree. Doesn't make my opinion right and it doesn't make yours wrong.

I wasn't saying you were wrong and I agree we can disagree. Can you define what a logjam means to you? 

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

JaMychal was benched last season and was not a solid NBA starter. He was a fringe starter. That is why he didn't have anyone offering a big contract this summer. 

BS Jamychal was a legit starter last season for our team.   He started 100% of the games in the regular season and will be signed as  the STARTER for this one.  

He wasn't benched due to bad production he was moved to the bench during one playoff series for matchup purposes.   

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

BS Jamychal was a legit starter last season for our team.   He started 100% of the games in the regular season and will be signed as  the STARTER for this one.  

He wasn't benched due to bad production he was moved to the bench during one playoff series for matchup purposes.   

JaMychal hasn't been offered anything from any other team in the league. Does that sound like a player generally regarded as starter material around the league? 

He's been offered a qualifying offer of $2.8 million. He may be negotiating something more but certainly he will be one of the lowest paid "starting" players in the league AFTER he signs a new deal. That should tell everyone that he isn't considered an average starting power forward. He was outscored and out-rebounded by his backup last season despite playing more minutes. 

JaMychal was moved to the bench for matchup purposes because he wasn't producing by the way against his opponent starting for San Antonio.  

2 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

Martin couldn't outperform my mother-in-law with what I've seen so far.  At least he doesn't get Parsons mega-$$$ to under-perform though.   He does it more cost effectively.  He was a bigger NBA prospect coming out of the SEC west than JamGreen which makes him a borderline bust if he doesn't do something this season.

Let's just assume Grizz aren't bringing back the trophy this season. Which contending team would you root for to takedown GSW?

I am tired of CLE, BOS, SAS, and don't want to see LAC or HOU hoisting a trophy.   So by default i reluctantly may have to go for OKC or MIN.   I want to see some different franchises win for a change and two small market teams could changeup the narrative.  

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Let's just assume Grizz aren't bringing back the trophy this season. Which contending team would you root for to takedown GSW?

I am tired of CLE, BOS, SAS, and don't want to see LAC or HOU hoisting a trophy.   So by default i reluctantly may have to go for OKC or MIN.   I want to see some different franchises win for a change and two small market teams could changeup the narrative.  

I dunno, MIN might not even make the playoffs. This will be their first year with together. Thibs has to turn around their entire mentality.  I guess by default if not Grizz I'd pull for OKC

4 minutes ago, Michael D said:

I dunno, MIN might not even make the playoffs. This will be their first year with together. Thibs has to turn around their entire mentality.  I guess by default if not Grizz I'd pull for OKC

Yea i am leaning toward OKC too.  I am cool with Melo PG and Russ getting rings.  I don't like OKC franchise but those 3 are okay.  KD leaving softened my stance against them.  

I would prefer to see San Antonio or Houston win. However, I don't want to give up on Memphis shocking the world just yet. 

6 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

True, but if you list the PFs in the league, is he even top 25? 

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I wasn't saying you were wrong and I agree we can disagree. Can you define what a logjam means to you? 

Having a plethora of players at a positions to the point where several of the players who play that position will see limited to no playing time....typically while another position is stretched thin on options and talent (Center).

7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I have a hard time calling a guy who averaged less than 9 points and 7 rebounds with no elite skills a legit starter. He was the starter based on his circumstance.

Most would say that he wasn't even the best PF on the team, but started solely because he fit better with Marc than Zach, based on the coach's desired style.

2 things indicate to me that he's not a legit starter:

1. He wouldn't start for most of the other teams in the league.

2. If he was a legit starter, why didn't he receive any acceptable offers from other teams during free agency? I know he was restricted, but he couldn't even get an acceptable offer sheet.