Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Troy Daniels traded to Phoenix

This is another consequence of taking Inactive All-star Ivan Rabb over draft-and-stash Jonah Bolden.

Wait - we didn't trade Troy Daniels for a 2nd round pick.  We traded Troy Daniels and a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round pick.

So we basically gave Phoenix Troy Daniels.

Although on one level I understand, it's a crowded bench, on the other this really burns my onion.  This is the best we could get for this guy?  He's under a great contract and all he does is make 3's.  You mean we didn't have a spot on our roster for him?  Unless we're so financially hard up that replacing his deal with a non-guaranteed contract on our bench was actually necessary.  

It doesn't matter how you slice it; this was a failure.  Not a catastrophic failure, but a failure nevertheless.  Is it going to cost us actual wins on the floor?  Perhaps not a one.  But how many times have we sent someone packing for the next guy, to find out the next guy is a schlub and the guy we sent away is having success in his new situation?  Too many to count.  So when I see the FIRST deep bench guy we've ever had here who was a threat to come out of nowhere and drop a 20 point night on your head leave after one season, it's very frustrating.  

Heck some teams have 2 or 3 Troy Daniels.  And we can't keep the one we plucked away from another team?  I actually thought our team had made - maybe for the first time - a brilliant small move that paid handsome dividends.  I guess our Front Office was too uncomfortable with winning a roster move for a change.

So we just traded Troy Daniels (the best shooter we have had in years) and a 2nd round pick for a top 55 protected pick from the Suns (aka we are not going to receive this pick because there is no way the Suns are getting anywhere close to that good). Troy Daniels and a pick for nothing. This really is a Chris Wallace special. 

6 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Wait - we didn't trade Troy Daniels for a 2nd round pick.  We traded Troy Daniels and a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round pick.

So we basically gave Phoenix Troy Daniels.

Although on one level I understand, it's a crowded bench, on the other this really burns my onion.  This is the best we could get for this guy?  He's under a great contract and all he does is make 3's.  You mean we didn't have a spot on our roster for him?  Unless we're so financially hard up that replacing his deal with a non-guaranteed contract on our bench was actually necessary.  

It doesn't matter how you slice it; this was a failure.  Not a catastrophic failure, but a failure nevertheless.  Is it going to cost us actual wins on the floor?  Perhaps not a one.  But how many times have we sent someone packing for the next guy, to find out the next guy is a schlub and the guy we sent away is having success in his new situation?  Too many to count.  So when I see the FIRST deep bench guy we've ever had here who was a threat to come out of nowhere and drop a 20 point night on your head leave after one season, it's very frustrating.  

Heck some teams have 2 or 3 Troy Daniels.  And we can't keep the one we plucked away from another team?  I actually thought our team had made - maybe for the first time - a brilliant small move that paid handsome dividends.  I guess our Front Office was too uncomfortable with winning a roster move for a change.

You write books. But daniels is a very limited player. A player that most teams neither need or want. getting 6 million off the books was more valuable than td was himself.

So we are back to making trades for cash considerations! 

6 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

according to ESPN...the Grizzlies created a 3.4mil trade exception with this deal

ok and....they more than likely won't use it.

Pretty much knew this would happen. Fizz never seemed to be big on TD. He was one of the few players who could heat up in an instant and give us instant offense.  People can criticize his d but let's be serious, you can criticize a lot of players for not playing d and it's not like his guy was the only guy scoring when he was in the game.

The writing was on the wall when they brought in Tyreke and Bennie Mac. I don't think either of them will provide much of a defensive boost either. Always felt that he was constantly in Fizz's doghouse and not used properly. He's a journeyman though and will probably be traded next season.

34 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

the org lost 40mil last year..at this point I think ever penny counts

NBA propaganda. This franchise has tripled in value.

Pretty sad to see Troy "D Assasin" Daniels go for a free giveaway.

Thanks for the memories Bro I will never forget the  game:

V GSW getting smashed by near 30, Fiz throws you into the game, the next thing, bang, bang, bang, bang - and we complete the most unlikely comeback in the history of the fanchise

Good luck mane

40 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Pretty much knew this would happen. Fizz never seemed to be big on TD. He was one of the few players who could heat up in an instant and give us instant offense.  People can criticize his d but let's be serious, you can criticize a lot of players for not playing d and it's not like his guy was the only guy scoring when he was in the game.

The writing was on the wall when they brought in Tyreke and Bennie Mac. I don't think either of them will provide much of a defensive boost either. Always felt that he was constantly in Fizz's doghouse and not used properly. He's a journeyman though and will probably be traded next season.

There was a reason that Troy hasn't stuck with any team. It's not only his terrible d, but he can't run an offense or handle the ball, and he has to be set up for his shot.

The dude just isn't that good, but the facts are on this board where defense his become a four letter word, anybody that can make a few 3s is seen as Kobe incarnate.

Yea I'm not crying over this move at all.  TD literally couldn't do anything but shoot and was too small to get his own shot.  it's his own fault for not atleast learning how to dribble.   

Besides now that TA is gone and we now have a roster full of competent jump shooters - Daniels isn't a necessity.