Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Troy Daniels traded to Phoenix

That's really the best they could've done huh? They couldn't have packaged a couple more players n get a guy like Jared Dudley out of it. This team has no idea what it wants now does it.

47 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea I'm not crying over this move at all.  TD literally couldn't do anything but shoot and was too small to get his own shot.  it's his own fault for not atleast learning how to dribble.   

Besides now that TA is gone and we now have a roster full of competent jump shooters - Daniels isn't a necessity. 

Daniels wasnt even a true knock down shooter thats always on. He was more of a volume guy that needed a lot of shots to get in rhythm. Even his one and only skill wasnt perfected.

Well, I guess that answers my question about who would be leaving.  I honestly didn't expect it to be the only shooter outside of Mike and Marc.  I think we're going to be hurting on offense.  One guy who can post up, two shooters (one of them being the guy who can post up), and a bunch of slashers.  We should be very easy for other teams to defend...

Let's call a spade a spade, this is just a salary dump. We paid a 2nd rounder to avoid having to waive TD and keep his salary in the books, and the protected 2nd we're getting will probably be used similarly in a future trade.

We're not getting anything other than cap space (useless at this time). It's a financially responsible move but a bit disappointing, to be honest.

Troy was an asset when the team had Tony Allen and Zach Randolph because he took advantage of defenses that collapsed on those two players. Once teams started to cover Tony his effectiveness diminished. Teams won’t be packing the paint this season so he became expendable. 

Troy gave fans a lot of memories last season but the writing was on the wall when the Grizzlies signed Tyreke Evans, Ben McLemore and drafted Dillon Brooks that Fizdale wanted more than just 3 point shooting ability on the wings. 

I'd rather kept troy daniels but whatever.    His contract was cheap for the potential of some big scoring games and outside shooting.

11 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea I'm not crying over this move at all.  TD literally couldn't do anything but shoot and was too small to get his own shot.  it's his own fault for not atleast learning how to dribble.   

Besides now that TA is gone and we now have a roster full of competent jump shooters - Daniels isn't a necessity. 

Really? Competent shooters?

competent shooter by Grizz standards is anyone who can hit the rim 3 out of 4 tries... this guy could out shoot anyone on this team...

we have plenty of dead weight on that bench that they could give away... and a couple in the FO... starting with Harrison...

1 hour ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

I'd rather kept troy daniels but whatever.    His contract was cheap for the potential of some big scoring games and outside shooting.

Yep, he has a much greater upside than most of the pine polishers we have over there... oh well, it's a move I've come to expect... 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Troy was an asset when the team had Tony Allen and Zach Randolph because he took advantage of defenses that collapsed on those two players. Once teams started to cover Tony his effectiveness diminished. Teams won’t be packing the paint this season so he became expendable. 

Troy gave fans a lot of memories last season but the writing was on the wall when the Grizzlies signed Tyreke Evans, Ben McLemore and drafted Dillon Brooks that Fizdale wanted more than just 3 point shooting ability on the wings. 

More than 3 point shooting ability?  None of those guys you list have true 3 point ability so should state, other than 3point shooting ability...

10 hours ago, Dwash said:

Daniels wasnt even a true knock down shooter thats always on. He was more of a volume guy that needed a lot of shots to get in rhythm. Even his one and only skill wasnt perfected.

There's no shooter that's "always on"... he was the best we had by far... with the exception of Conley on occasion... but at a Walmart price compared to Conley.

12 hours ago, cdp said:

That's really the best they could've done huh? They couldn't have packaged a couple more players n get a guy like Jared Dudley out of it. This team has no idea what it wants now does it.

I think they wanted cap space and to trim the roster, they did that. If they took back players, they would have had to let other go. I don't think you're going to get much for Troy Daniels.

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

There was a reason that Troy hasn't stuck with any team. It's not only his terrible d, but he can't run an offense or handle the ball, and he has to be set up for his shot.

The dude just isn't that good, but the facts are on this board where defense his become a four letter word, anybody that can make a few 3s is seen as Kobe incarnate.

Agreed. I said everything you just said the day we signed him and I questioned why we signed him, questioned his shooting stats and questioned why he could stay with any of his previous teams, with all of that being said, he did provide sparks and excitement at various times throughout this past season. He's a clearly flawed player but I doubt we get any more out of Benny Mac.

3 hours ago, grizlsg said:

There's no shooter that's "always on"... he was the best we had by far... with the exception of Conley on occasion... but at a Walmart price compared to Conley.

There are shooters who dont need to get into a rhythm to be effective. They hit most of their good looks whether they have had one shot or ten. Daniels needed to be warmed up.

14 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Well, I guess that answers my question about who would be leaving.  I honestly didn't expect it to be the only shooter outside of Mike and Marc.  I think we're going to be hurting on offense.  One guy who can post up, two shooters (one of them being the guy who can post up), and a bunch of slashers.  We should be very easy for other teams to defend...

lamenting troy Daniels while saying good riddance to zbo. Daniels isn't half the scorer zbo is or was. And no he is not the only shooter. Parsons is still on the team and we have a lot of young talent that can shoot as well.

14 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Let's call a spade a spade, this is just a salary dump. We paid a 2nd rounder to avoid having to waive TD and keep his salary in the books, and the protected 2nd we're getting will probably be used similarly in a future trade.

We're not getting anything other than cap space (useless at this time). It's a financially responsible move but a bit disappointing, to be honest.

And I guess that's my real problem here.  I have learned not to get too attached to deep bench players.  But I have a pretty good feeling that most other teams would have at least turned this into something asset positive, not just dump salary.  

Any time we do something like this I picture a league full of GMs trading stories like used car salesmen about that time they sold the Grizzlies on the 5-year extended warranty.

5 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I think they wanted cap space and to trim the roster, they did that. If they took back players, they would have had to let other go. I don't think you're going to get much for Troy Daniels.

There were other ways of doin this. Like a 3-for-1 trade or tradin a lesser player. Not just givin away a decent role player for nothin just to clear room for another decent role player.‎
Let's be real this is a result of signin 3 unproven 2nd rounders to guaranteed contracts.

26 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

And I guess that's my real problem here.  I have learned not to get too attached to deep bench players.  But I have a pretty good feeling that most other teams would have at least turned this into something asset positive, not just dump salary.  

Any time we do something like this I picture a league full of GMs trading stories like used car salesmen about that time they sold the Grizzlies on the 5-year extended warranty.

You really think Daniels had trade value? Like what exactly could the grizzlies got for him? an unprotected 1st round pick?

25 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

I thought he was at least worth an unprotected 2nd

so is that why people are butt-hurt. Cause the grizzlies didn't get an unprotected 2nd round pick, that we literally buy every year?

again, when Wallace traded clee and green, he got a return. those players were worth something. td was not.

5 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I just better not hear one person in this organization bellyaching about lack of shooting.

If you were counting on td to be our shooting savior, lol at you.