• Dillon Brooks
    • Mario Chalmers
    • James Ennis III
    • Andrew Harrison
    • Jarell Martin
    • Wayne Selden
    • Brandan Wright
    • Rade Zagorac

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2017 at 04:01 AM

33 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I think it is because they want to see if he has anything in the tank, going forward, in case mike goes down. It is a try out.

That is, unless somthing unforseen happens like the front office lets rade, wright or some other player go to keep mario. Mario wont take Harrison's or wades spot is what i am saying.

To do that doesn't make sense to me.  If Mike went down they would need someone quickly IF he's still available.  Then they would still have to go through the process of waiving someone, maybe someone with guaranteed salary.  I think if he shows good enough someone else will be gone before the season starts.

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

To do that doesn't make sense to me.  If Mike went down they would need someone quickly IF he's still available.  Then they would still have to go through the process of waiving someone, maybe someone with guaranteed salary.  I think if he shows good enough someone else will be gone before the season starts.

I just think you are overvaluing Rios value like you and the chris vernons, chris Herringtons, geoff caulkins, ron tillerys of the world did with Jam.

The guy that runs grizzly bear blues has an article parroting a similar position that wade or harrison might be shuffled off for rio, lol.

The local media, or who i like to call, the three stooges are the most clueless in sports.

I think is a matter of:

Baldwin x Harrison

Martin x Rabb

Ennis should be traded for a backup C

I already mentioned that Kyle O'quinn should be our target, NY has too many Cs. Make decision between those prospects then package them with Ennis and try to get a NY pick too.

6 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I just think you are overvaluing Rios value like you and the chris vernons, chris Herringtons, geoff caulkins, ron tillerys of the world did with Jam.

The guy that runs grizzly bear blues has an article parroting a similar position that wade or harrison might be shuffled off for rio, lol.

The local media, or who i like to call, the three stooges are the most clueless in sports.

Please show me a post where I overvalued Jam.  I don't read any of the columns written by those guys. 

As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever stated anything as to how much a player should be paid (since you mentioned Jam), as I think that all professional athletes are overpaid.  As usual you know nothing.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Good god, the titans suck bad. I cant wait for the grizzlies.

Is tomorrow's preseason game against the Magic broadcast? League Pass has the annoying custom of announcing preseason games only to say "not broadcast" when you try to watch it. And it kind of sucks finding out at 2AM. <_<

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

Wright/Martin/Baldwin for Faried works ... It gives Memphis a rebounder but he expects to start and so does Jamychal.

Hmm, Faried and Jam, 24 minutes each of high-motor play .... 

I think it's possible that Brandan Wright and Andrew Harrison are the odd men out. Wright, just because he's really not any good, and what he offers you is so easily replaceable. He's the third-string center. Harrison, because he seems to be the least talented of all of the guards. He's the fourth-string point guard.

I think Selden is going to play a big role. I think he probably has to be considered the favorite to start at shooting guard until McLemore returns. 

I think Baldwin, as erratic as he is, might actually have a chance at the backup point guard position. At the very least, I think the Grizzlies have to choose between him and Harrison. Baldwin seems like the easy pick there. There's definitely a glut at point guard, with Chalmers on the roster, so that makes this position especially difficult to predict. But, I'd say it looks like Chalmers to take Harrison's place as a steady presence, and Baldwin stays on for longer-term upside and athleticism. 

Jarrell Martin might be playing his way back onto the roster. He looked like one of the very best players in the open scrimmage. Lots of athletic plays around the rim, finishing and rebounding. He's also currently the best option on the team for backing up JaMychal Green. 

1 hour ago, Herodotus said:

I think it's possible that Brandan Wright and Andrew Harrison are the odd men out. Wright, just because he's really not any good, and what he offers you is so easily replaceable. He's the third-string center. Harrison, because he seems to be the least talented of all of the guards. He's the fourth-string point guard.

I think Selden is going to play a big role. I think he probably has to be considered the favorite to start at shooting guard until McLemore returns. 

I think Baldwin, as erratic as he is, might actually have a chance at the backup point guard position. At the very least, I think the Grizzlies have to choose between him and Harrison. Baldwin seems like the easy pick there. There's definitely a glut at point guard, with Chalmers on the roster, so that makes this position especially difficult to predict. But, I'd say it looks like Chalmers to take Harrison's place as a steady presence, and Baldwin stays on for longer-term upside and athleticism. 

Jarrell Martin might be playing his way back onto the roster. He looked like one of the very best players in the open scrimmage. Lots of athletic plays around the rim, finishing and rebounding. He's also currently the best option on the team for backing up JaMychal Green. 

You may be right about Harrison being the odd man out, but not because he has been outplayed.  Harrison was ahead of Baldwin last season which would make him third behind a healthy Chalmers, but this is a new season.  You say Baldwin is the easy pick but I think that it's more likely because Harrison's contract is only partially guaranteed and therefore easier to part with.

As for Jarell, he may have heard the rumors and was just playing harder than everyone else.  I wouldn't put too much stock in a training camp show.

1 hour ago, Herodotus said:

glad I'm not the only one that thinks martin is better than wright...plus martin is a stretch four that can rebound..something that ever team loves...also DD brings to the table that wright does.

4 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

glad I'm not the only one that thinks martin is better than wright...plus martin is a stretch four that can rebound..something that ever team loves...also DD brings to the table that wright does.

The only things Martin does better than Wright is rebounding (very important) and free throw shooting.  But there is the health issue...

2 hours ago, Herodotus said:

But Wright is one of the best backups in the league:)

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

The only things Martin does better than Wright is rebounding (very important) and free throw shooting.  But there is the health issue...

watch these highlights and tell me if martin doesn't bring more to the table than wright

I hated the Wright signing from the moment I heard about it. And he has been an albatross. I have a very low opinion of his game. So, a lot of what I said is wishful thinking. I would personally prefer a lineup in which Davis is the primary backup center, and if there is an injury to him or Gasol at any point, then pick up someone temporary. There's also the problem of Wright not being a passable 4 at all. So, if you get rid of Martin, you don't actually have a backup 4. Trotting Wright out at the 4 would be a morale-killing embarrassment. And Davis is similarly a defensive C with limited offensive skills, making him also a very poor fit at the 4. 

15 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

I hated the Wright signing from the moment I heard about it. And he has been an albatross. I have a very low opinion of his game. So, a lot of what I said is wishful thinking. I would personally prefer a lineup in which Davis is the primary backup center, and if there is an injury to him or Gasol at any point, then pick up someone temporary. There's also the problem of Wright not being a passable 4 at all. So, if you get rid of Martin, you don't actually have a backup 4. Trotting Wright out at the 4 would be a morale-killing embarrassment. And Davis is similarly a defensive C with limited offensive skills, making him also a very poor fit at the 4. 

and if dd or gasol get hurt...we still have hunter on the two-way deal.

1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

watch these highlights and tell me if martin doesn't bring more to the table than wright

Martins problem is his low IQ. Wright on the other hand knows where to be at on the court. He isnt getting lost on defense and he knows how to move/cut to create opportunities for others. You say all he does is catch lobs, but when roles to the basket in a timely manner this potentially opens up other things on the court such as a weakside defender leaving his man and his man getting open looks from the perimeter.

Im not a Wright fan but he is a more effective basketball player. This isnt 2k where you just trot out the 5 "coldest" guys you can find. They have to all make each other better and know how to fit in and work in unison and harmony. Low IQ means you dont know how to do that, basically.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

When you're discussing if a player has health issues compared to Brandan Wright you know you're in deep trouble.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

This isnt 2k where you just trot out the 5 "coldest" guys you can find. They have to all make each other better and know how to fit in and work in unison and harmony.

+1000 I have been saying this forever.  This is why JaM is a starter for this team.  

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

Martins problem is his low IQ. Wright on the other hand knows where to be at on the court. He isnt getting lost on defense and he knows how to move/cut to create opportunities for others. You say all he does is catch lobs, but when roles to the basket in a timely manner this potentially opens up other things on the court such as a weakside defender leaving his man and his man getting open looks from the perimeter.

Great observations.   As currently constructed Wright is the only guy legitimately qualified to backup Gasol.   Davis has a looonng way to go and Rabb is too much of a bean pole right now to step up.  Unless a trade brings back a legit backup C then we need to keep Wright. 

10 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

Highlight films are ...

highlight films.  I'm sure there are Brandan Wright highlight films as well, though I doubt you bothered to look at any.  Wright has demonstrated that, when healthy, he is very good at what he brings.  The health issue is the real question mark with Wright.  If Martin suddenly "gets it" and takes a huge step I'm all for it, but he will have to take a huge step to be as efficient as Wright.  For his career Wright shoots about 61% from the field.  Martin, on the other hand, shoots at 42% and got much worse in his second season at 38% despite getting more opportunities.  Look, neither one of these guys is a make or break player for the Grizzlies, and if the FO decides that Wright is not what they're looking for, or no longer wants to take a chance on his health I'm fine with that.  If they decide that Jarrell is not improving fast enough and it's time to move on, I'll be fine with that too.  I just hope that whoever they keep contributes.

9 hours ago, Dwash said:

Im not a Wright fan but he is a more effective basketball player. This isnt 2k where you just trot out the 5 "coldest" guys you can find. They have to all make each other better and know how to fit in and work in unison and harmony. Low IQ means you dont know how to do that, basically.

Exactly.  Martin doesn't seem to know when to give the ball up to someone else either.  How many times have we seen him go totally unconscious and drive to the rim only to get his dunk attempt rejected.  I don't know if he is just trying too hard to make a good impression or what, but he seems bent on trying to do more than he is capable of trying to make the big play, while forgetting that there are 4 other guys on the floor with him.

6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

When you're discussing if a player has health issues compared to Brandan Wright you know you're in deep trouble.

Nah, I was referring to Wright's health issues.  Just the negative side of the coin.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.