• Dillon Brooks
    • Mario Chalmers
    • James Ennis III
    • Andrew Harrison
    • Jarell Martin
    • Wayne Selden
    • Brandan Wright
    • Rade Zagorac

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2017 at 04:01 AM

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

So you think he should be gifted minutes on a playoff without any history of good play even in the G league?

I just worry that he will be like whiteside. The grizzlies never played him either, or dcarroll. Etc

On 9/26/2017 at 3:54 PM, BeastModeGrizz said:

I am not against waiving Wright but I think the FO likes him and I just see Martin being gone before the start of the regular season. This is just purely my own assumption.

I think you have to keep Wright now.  Deyonta Davis is no where near ready to be the back up big to Marc Gasol.  Wright gives us a rim protector with a huge wingspan and athleticism.  If he goes, who backs up Marc?  Just dont think Deyonta is ready yet. He is a talent to be sure but he is a baby.  Needs more time.  

46 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would venture to say that a large amount of those 68 games over 2 seasons were garbage time minutes. That was his role, to come in when the game was out of hand in the 4th quarter.

I think that would be a bad guess, because I know that I saw many games in which he played non-garbage time minutes.  He would occasionally make some nice drive, or hit a jumper, but more often than not he would put his head down and go hard at his defender, only to get it blocked.  He does not seem to possess any kind of passing skills.  Like I said, I want him to succeed for us, but at this point I think it may be time to move on.

27 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I just worry that he will be like whiteside. The grizzlies never played him either, or dcarroll. Etc

I don't think there's much chance of that happening.  He was getting his dunk attempts rejected last season.

3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Why? One has proven he can play in the league, the other has not proven he can excel in the G league.

imo talent wise I don't think wright is any better than martin...the only thing he clearly does better that martin is catch lobs...martin is a better ballhandler,shooter and passer...shot fts better than wright, rebounds and runs the floor jus as good as wright...martin has time to improve...wright is what he is...plus I don't like the unprofessional approach of him airing his dislike for playing time signs of not being a good team/lockerroom guy.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Its bad that you arent even considering a 31 year old player coming off a major injury as a possible drop.

Wades best years are ahead of him.

If it was between Harrison and Wade and I had to pick 1 to keep it would be Harrison. Kid actually looks like he wants to be here. I feel like Wade would take the first bus out of town if he could.  He's more of a combo guard right? Combo Guards make me nervous.  

Rio probably ain't going anywhere according to this: Grizzlies coach David Fizdale, his former Heat championship assistant. “He’s been great. I’ve been so happy with him,” Fizdale told Memphis’ Commercial Appeal. “He’s going to play a big role for us. I really believe in him. I set the challenge for him to get to a certain weight and certain body fat by the time we get to the first game and he’s really taken that challenge on.” Chalmers is pushing to get back to his Heat playing weight of 190 pounds. “It makes it better from the standpoint that Fiz knows what I’m capable of,” Chalmers said. “So if he sees I’m favoring my leg one day, he can tell me because he’s seen me play and he knows what I’ve been through.”

18 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

imo talent wise I don't think wright is any better than martin...the only thing he clearly does better that martin is catch lobs...martin is a better ballhandler,shooter and passer...shot fts better than wright, rebounds and runs the floor jus as good as wright...martin has time to improve...wright is what he is...plus I don't like the unprofessional approach of him airing his dislike for playing time signs of not being a good team/lockerroom guy.

How is Martin a better passer?  He handles the ball more but usually while he is trying to do more than he is capable of doing.  Brandan Wright shot 61.5% from the field last season while Jarrell Martin shot 38.4%.  Wright is better at scoring, assisting, shot blocking, and NOT committing turnovers.  Martin is better at rebounding, FT shooting, and fouling since he's pretty much a disqualification per 36 minutes.  I think he had the most fouls in today's open practice too, though I will say he looked to be going hard and I like that.  Wright has definitely had health issues, but who knows?  Maybe he'll have a relatively healthy one this year.  If the FO decides to move Wright and keep Martin so be it.  I just hope Davis develops and Marc stays healthy.

Wade and Martin are only in the mix cause they were first round picks. Both are terrible and cant even handle the dleague. If they didnt have guaranteed deals they would be gone.

Fizdale loves Chalmers and Harrison has proven that he can marginally handle the job. Wade will be traded/cut and Martin will be cut.

18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Wade and Martin are only in the mix cause they were first round picks. Both are terrible and cant even handle the dleague. If they didnt have guaranteed deals they would be gone.

Fizdale loves Chalmers and Harrison has proven that he can marginally handle the job. Wade will be traded/cut and Martin will be cut.

My thoughts as well, especially if Rio is actually recovered. I've seen people say they think they'll only keep two point guards, that seems quite risky and I assume the Grizz will keep three. 

41 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I know this is a hard concept for you to grasp but every rookie isn't going to come out like OJ scoring 40 a night. Also, the d-league (g-league) has more talent than ever before. There aren't a bunch of scrubs in that league anymore like you think.

So stop pre-mature ejaculating. 

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

How is Martin a better passer?  He handles the ball more but usually while he is trying to do more than he is capable of doing.  Brandan Wright shot 61.5% from the field last season while Jarrell Martin shot 38.4%.  Wright is better at scoring, assisting, shot blocking, and NOT committing turnovers.  Martin is better at rebounding, FT shooting, and fouling since he's pretty much a disqualification per 36 minutes.  I think he had the most fouls in today's open practice too, though I will say he looked to be going hard and I like that.  Wright has definitely had health issues, but who knows?  Maybe he'll have a relatively healthy one this year.  If the FO decides to move Wright and keep Martin so be it.  I just hope Davis develops and Marc stays healthy.

he is a one trick pony on the offensive end and it seems that is not what fizdale wants (the trading of daniels ex.)..and wright is not better at scoring...the only consistent way he scores is if someone throws him an alleyoop...he has no post game...no jumpshot...cant attack the rim off the dribble on offense he nothing but a lop target...and like I said before I don't want a guy in the locker room that is willing to disclose his frustrations with tho coach to the media.

Did anyone watch the scrimmage? Chalmers and tyreke look healthy and mobile.   Parsons looks better than last year too but not sure he is peak Parsons.    

Be surprised if Chalmers gets cut

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

he is a one trick pony on the offensive end and it seems that is not what fizdale wants (the trading of daniels ex.)..and wright is not better at scoring...the only consistent way he scores is if someone throws him an alleyoop...he has no post game...no jumpshot...cant attack the rim off the dribble on offense he nothing but a lop target...and like I said before I don't want a guy in the locker room that is willing to disclose his frustrations with tho coach to the media.

You don't have to like how he does it, but the FACT is that Wright is proven to be a better scorer than Martin.  No, he doesn't take opponents off the dribble, he doesn't need to.  He knows how to position himself to receive a pass, something that maybe Martin should think about learning.  I don't know about you but I would much rather have a player who understands how to play team basketball by being where he is supposed to be, and who shot nearly 30% better from the field last season, than a guy who is just going to put his head down and drive and get rejected at the rim which is what I saw Martin do far too many times last season.  I know you don't like his being vocal about his unhappiness with his minutes, but he is very, very far from the first player to do this - even on this team.

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Did anyone watch the scrimmage? Chalmers and tyreke look healthy and mobile.   Parsons looks better than last year too but not sure he is peak Parsons.    

Be surprised if Chalmers gets cut

Yes, I watched it.  Mario looked alright as did others, but it was a practice where they were putting on a show for the fans.  I wouldn't get too excited because it's far too early to tell.

NBA TV had a projected roster that does not have Martin and Rade on the list. I hope Rade stays and gets to play for us this season. I know we signed him for a multi year contract and he needs real NBA minutes to develop his game.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yes, I watched it.  Mario looked alright as did others, but it was a practice where they were putting on a show for the fans.  I wouldn't get too excited because it's far too early to tell.

Yea I understand it's a "show".  My point was all 3 of those guys are clearly healthy - that cannot be faked.    parsons was the only one that still looks a little rusty but did look way better than last season.  

It seems like some of you would be disappointed if the guys weren't hurt.  

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea I understand it's a "show".  My point was all 3 of those guys are clearly healthy - that cannot be faked.    parsons was the only one that still looks a little rusty but did look way better than last season.  

Im glad everybody is healthy but no amount of health will keep mario from being cut. It's so laughable that people think that they would cut wade or harrison for him. And if they cut a player they just signed for him, that would be a new level of ineptitude.

I expect Martin and Mario gone.

35 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Faking?!!  Why would anyone fake anything?  The point is that you cannot tell how healthy they are from that.  Are they healthy enough to get by a real defender in a game, stay in front of an opponent, fight for a rebound or loose ball?

Really?!!  Don't be ridiculous.  It's just cautious skepticism.

13 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I know this is a hard concept for you to grasp but every rookie isn't going to come out like OJ scoring 40 a night. Also, the d-league (g-league) has more talent than ever before. There aren't a bunch of scrubs in that league anymore like you think.

So stop pre-mature ejaculating. 

Coming out the gate like OJ?? Fool, these guys arent even playable rotation players. Example, Terry Rozier wasnt great last year but he was decent enough for Brad Stevens to play in spurts and he produced. If by year two you cant even crack a rotation you most likely wont be anything.

36 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Coming out the gate like OJ?? Fool, these guys arent even playable rotation players. Example, Terry Rozier wasnt great last year but he was decent enough for Brad Stevens to play in spurts and he produced. If by year two you cant even crack a rotation you most likely wont be anything.

If Mario makes the team we'll just have to revisit his post.  Why else would the FO sign him to a contract if not to give him an opportunity to make the team?  I guess KBM thinks they're just doing it for charity.

15 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

If Mario makes the team we'll just have to revisit his post.  Why else would the FO sign him to a contract if not to give him an opportunity to make the team?  I guess KBM thinks they're just doing it for charity.

Yeah Im sure Chalmers had more than one invite and didnt need this just to show what he has. What a ridiculous theory.

Wright/Martin/Baldwin for Faried works and it gets Denver some expiring contracts which Im sure they would love to move him for. It gives Memphis a rebounder but he expects to start and so does Jamychal.

27 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think it is because they want to see if he has anything in the tank, going forward, in case mike goes down. It is a try out.

That is, unless somthing unforseen happens like the front office lets rade, wright or some other player go to keep mario. Mario wont take Harrison's or wades spot is what i am saying.

Its close, but I come down on the side of showcase for Rio. Its not charity. He's auditioning for a possible injury fill-in spot for us. He'd be drawing lots of minutes. That would be adding another guy with questionable durability. On the other side, they might think, for the near term future, Simmons is a better fit than Baldwin. Imo, the versatility of Harrison is important on an injury-prone team.
Also, Rio was injured playing for the Griz. We are taking care of our own. If your location is not attractive maybe your treatment of players can be a factor in some free agent decisions.