Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

The Grindfather Appreciation Thread

Even with some time to cool off i still hate the way this ended. It didn't have to be this way they could've made it work. One player doesn't stop a team from changing direction, if ZBO was willing to come off the bench i bet you he would've been convinced too. It just makes me wonder what this team wants to be. A crappier version of all the other 3-pt chuckin Warrior-wannabes out there or their own team?

Sigh. Thanks for everything TA...

He was one of my all time favorites.  His energy was great, even when it was sometimes ineffective.  He may really help the Pels, more with his attitude and hustle than on the floor.  I will miss him.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, GF#1 said:

Thanks for the memories. One of the most impactful Grizz players ever when younger.

Memphis had to move on. Best of luck.

+100

TA is good at his job.  That's no accident.  He works hard for it.   He specializes in defense and entertainment.  I have thoroughly enjoyed having TA on the grizz squad.  Memphis will always be home to him.   The fans absolutely love the guy.

CONTROLLING OWNER ROBERT J. PERA AND GENERAL MANAGER CHRIS WALLACE

Memphis, Tenn. – The Memphis Grizzlies released the following statements from Grizzlies Controlling Owner Robert J. Pera and Grizzlies General Manager Chris Wallace regarding Tony Allen prior to Allen’s return to FedExForum when the Grizzlies host the New Orleans Pelicans on Friday, October 13 at 7 p.m.:

Robert J. Pera: Controlling Owner, Memphis Grizzlies

“Tony was a driving force behind the Grizzlies’ seven straight playoff appearances and he remains a beloved member of the Memphis community. Tony played with a level of passion that is unrivaled. He helped establish a Grizzlies culture focused on toughness and effort, and he challenged every player that put on Beale Street Blue to match his fiery intensity. On behalf of the entire organization, I would like to thank him for his incredible contributions to the Grizzlies and the unique way that he inspired the city of Memphis. We are proud that the Grindfather’s #9 jersey will hang in the rafters of FedExForum alongside Zach’s one day.”

Chris Wallace: General Manager, Memphis Grizzlies

“Tony will forever be one of the Core Four responsible for the turnaround in the Memphis Grizzlies’ fortunes and our surge in popularity. There would never have been seven straight years of playoff appearances, the incredible electricity in FedExForum for home games, ‘Grit and Grind’ and ‘Believe Memphis’ without Tony Allen’s contributions to the team.  In the process Tony became more than just one of the toughest defenders in the league – he became a true cult hero who was intertwined with the soul of Memphis like few athletes ever have in any city. Tony and his family will be missed but his impact on the Grizzlies and Memphis will never be forgotten.”

42 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I wish you would stop doing quotes like this that nobody can quote the quote (see what it does)

Anyway, tonys jersey should be retired. I was worried that pera wasnt going to do it. Glad he saw the light.

11 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Kind of a pity that he returns for a preseason game, he deserves to be greeted by a full Forum.

How do you know it wont be full?

43 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

How do you know it wont be full?

I hope it is, but preseason games are usually far below regular season games in attendance, and we play the Pelicans again in a few days.

Tell me we're a better team paying Mclemore 5 million instead of this guy for the vet min. I'll call you a liar.

I think Boston is going to hang his jersey in the rafters with Bird, Cousy, JoJo White, Russell, Parish, etc..........not.

Just now, Jetfixer said:

I think Boston is going to hang his jersey in the rafters with Bird, Cousy, JoJo White, Russell, Parish, etc..........not.

Come on man, was this nessesary?

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

Come on man, was this nessesary?

I loved TA as a Grizz....he was very good..............I don't know many (if any) players that didn't die of something tragic or something like that, that never were Allstars who you hang jersey in the arena for. Someone can correct me though if I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

I loved TA as a Grizz....he was very good..............I don't know many (if any) players that didn't die of something tragic or something like that, that never were Allstars who you hang jersey in the arena for. Someone can correct me though if I'm wrong.

Yeah whatever man.

Bruce Bowen.

And tony was a 6x all defensive player.

Now can we move past your dumb comment.

3 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Tony is not worthy of a jersey retirement. I hope we stop thinking so Mickey mouse as a franchise one day.

You gonna feel real stupid when he end up in the hall of fame...dude got a ring plus he is one of the best defenders to EVER play the game.

29 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

ta won a ring in boston

Yes but he is getting his number retired in Memphis? Lol

Look I'm just as big of TA and zbo fan as you guys. They are two of my favorite basketball players ever. I just thought retiring a number required a little more. I get it though I guess and am happy for them.