PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

I have to give Wallace his props..this team really has few flaw besides injury concerns

4 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Well I think teams takes rookies on their POTENTIAL and they need to play to expand it. Just because you have a player that may be better at that time don't mean the rookie won't be better if given the chance.

So I guess that practices and scrimmages are worthless because a coach could not possibly tell if a player was ready, or even close to being ready.

I think that people who think the coach needs to play every player don't trust the coach and just want to second guess him.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You are the one who seems to be complaining about it.

If you have multiple people playing terrible for prolonged periods of time, you try something else.

For example, if Tayshaun Prince is so ill that he's losing 20 pounds, probably don't play 15 to 20 minutes a game.

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

If you have multiple people playing terrible for prolonged periods of time, you try something else.

For example, if Tayshaun Prince is so ill that he's losing 20 pounds, probably don't play 15 to 20 minutes a game.

Blah blah blah 

talking about tayshaun when he already retired 

1 hour ago, The Stro Show said:

Blah blah blah 

😂😂😭😭😭

2 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Blah blah blah 

Baloney, it was an excellent example. 

23 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'll never understand folks who think that in paid professional sports rookies should be gifted playing time instead of earning it.

They earned it with their performance in college. 

The problem is that the higher the pick, the more the team wants to prove they didn't blow the pick. SO they let the rookie play, sometimes more than he should. Some rookies can't grasp the NBA game that quickly. 

A wizard-level coach is one who can quickly tell which ones those are. 

Some rookies are ready right away; others develop slowly; others are Hassan Whiteside, who was garbage and then suddenly a star. 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

They earned it with their performance in college. 

The problem is that the higher the pick, the more the team wants to prove they didn't blow the pick. SO they let the rookie play, sometimes more than he should. Some rookies can't grasp the NBA game that quickly. 

A wizard-level coach is one who can quickly tell which ones those are. 

Some rookies are ready right away; others develop slowly; others are Hassan Whiteside, who was garbage and then suddenly a star. 

Exactly.  What all of you really seem to be saying is that you won't accept the coach's decision, because I guess fans are much smarter.

24 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Exactly.  What all of you really seem to be saying is that you won't accept the coach's decision, because I guess fans are much smarter.

When vets suck I want to see the youth get a chance to play because atleast they may get better. Vets wont. No I dont know what they are doing in practice but I do know that nothing can simulate real game activity either.  Real game activity will make you more comfortable and confident in a real game.  And I believe that every single NBA player has some potential to produce in some way shape or form, otherwise they wouldnt be there.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

When vets suck I want to see the youth get a chance to play because atleast they may get better. Vets wont. No I dont know what they are doing in practice but I do know that nothing can simulate real game activity either.  Real game activity will make you more comfortable and confident in a real game.  And I believe that every single NBA player has some potential to produce in some way shape or form, otherwise they wouldnt be there.

C'mon, Dwash, you're just saying you want to second guess the coach.  Now I know that this is something that most of us as fans do, but do any of us really believe that we can make a better decision than the professional who spends hours and hours with the guy evaluating his ability at practices, drills, scrimmages, and probably reviews a lot of tape, and goes over everything with his coaching staff, etc.?

43 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

C'mon, Dwash, you're just saying you want to second guess the coach.  Now I know that this is something that most of us as fans do, but do any of us really believe that we can make a better decision than the professional who spends hours and hours with the guy evaluating his ability at practices, drills, scrimmages, and probably reviews a lot of tape, and goes over everything with his coaching staff, etc.?

Silly question, of course

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I could care less about him being a "professional." Many people are horrible at their jobs, professional or not. They also get fired, many times by an owner who knows as much about basketball as me or you, maybe less. Professional bias goes on at many places, it probably happens at your current place of employment right now everyday. We also know that egos, reputation, locker room status carries weight too. Stop acting like this is black and white, that basically happens in no industry and this is no different.

Bottom line is really this. Rookies will likely make mistakes. Some have more tolerance than others. Some coaches have more patience. Some will reach them mentally, engage them and get them to perform at a higher level faster than others. So it isnt 100% on the player to "get better", the coach plays a role too. Again, stop acting like this is black and white. Any coach or executive who performs his job like that is a horrible talent evaluator.

10 hours ago, Dwash said:

Bottom line is really this. Rookies will likely make mistakes. Some have more tolerance than others. Some coaches have more patience. Some will reach them mentally, engage them and get them to perform at a higher level faster than others. So it isnt 100% on the player to "get better", the coach plays a role too. Again, stop acting like this is black and white. Any coach or executive who performs his job like that is a horrible talent evaluator.

Rookies who show something in practice are given more opportunities than those who don’t. I sincerely doubt any coach is going to throw a rookie into the court who hasn’t shown at least some knowledge of the system, shown some desire to improve and some basic level of competency.

some players enter the league with the drive, knowledge and competancy. Others need to be shocked into realization by being benched, sent to the D-League or outright released before they start to work enough to prove they belong on the court.

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Rookies who show something in practice are given more opportunities than those who don’t. I sincerely doubt any coach is going to throw a rookie into the court who hasn’t shown at least some knowledge of the system, shown some desire to improve and some basic level of competency.

some players enter the league with the drive, knowledge and competancy. Others need to be shocked into realization by being benched, sent to the D-League or outright released before they start to work enough to prove they belong on the court.

And the factor of confidence in yourself, for most players, doesnt come until you see real game activity. I dont care how well you play in practice against the same players everyday or how accurate you get on a shooting machine. Confidence in what you do is half the battle and that doesnt come without real game success (for most, you have a few who are naturally confident).

Practicing against the same players also doesnt give you the experience of learning the tendencies of different players and teams, which always makes you more effective over time. Again, you can watch them on film for 1000 hours, nothing can match actually playing them.

No, no coach is going to throw an incompent rookie out there. Doesnt mean that he WILL play him if he IS competent, which is the subject.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And the factor of confidence in yourself, for most players, doesnt come until you see real game activity. I dont care how well you play in practice against the same players everyday or how accurate you get on a shooting machine. Confidence in what you do is half the battle and that doesnt come without real game success (for most, you have a few who are naturally confident).

Practicing against the same players also doesnt give you the experience of learning the tendencies of different players and teams, which always makes you more effective over time. Again, you can watch them on film for 1000 hours, nothing can match actually playing them.

No, no coach is going to throw an incompent rookie out there. Doesnt mean that he WILL play him if he IS competent, which is the subject.

That may be the best argument I have seen presented for gifting rookies minutes.

But honestly I dont see any point of debating this anymore. You honestly believe that the system works as they say it does. You come in, work hard, listen to the coach, get better, he will give you minutes. The players will play so well in practice and get so much better in practice and on individual drills that they will automatically be ready to perform without any real game experience. That isnt needed cause practice can simulate all that. When said player begins to play well in practice, coach wont show any bias. He will sit the veteran with the huge ego and contract, who cares if he doesnt like it. Black and white, cut and dry. Thats fine, please believe what you want to. Im not going to keep arguring this.

39 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But honestly I dont see any point of debating this anymore. You honestly believe that the system works as they say it does. You come in, work hard, listen to the coach, get better, he will give you minutes. The players will play so well in practice and get so much better in practice and on individual drills that they will automatically be ready to perform without any real game experience. That isnt needed cause practice can simulate all that. When said player begins to play well in practice, coach wont show any bias. He will sit the veteran with the huge ego and contract, who cares if he doesnt like it. Black and white, cut and dry. Thats fine, please believe what you want to. Im not going to keep arguring this.

Nothing is perfect.  Every coach will have flaws, but you have to have some faith in the system, otherwise there would be no need for coaches at all.

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Nothing is perfect.  Every coach will have flaws, but you have to have some faith in the system, otherwise there would be no need for coaches at all.

I have no faith in the Grizzlies ability to develop young talent. Why? Because they dont have any developed young talent. I beieve both the coach and GM share responsibility in this failure.

40 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

That may be the best argument I have seen presented for gifting rookies minutes.

Its not "gifting" its called putting time into your investment.  Perfect example of this was Chandler Parsons last season and Vince Carter season before.    Neither one of those guys shouldve been playing all the minutes they did but FO/Coaches "gifted" them PT during real games to get them on track.   

Sidenote:  NBA teams do not get to practice much once the season starts.   The practice argument only has any weight during training camp and preseason.  

^^^ This. Let Baldwin/Martin prove they belong in training camp/preseason. Cuz if they can't show n prove when their roster spots are on the line they sure ain't gonna be able to do it in the real game.

Their first real test starts tonight. #Grizzliesballdroughtisfinallyoverthankthelordomg

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its not "gifting" its called putting time into your investment.  Perfect example of this was Chandler Parsons last season and Vince Carter season before.    Neither one of those guys shouldve been playing all the minutes they did but FO/Coaches "gifted" them PT during real games to get them on track.   

Sidenote:  NBA teams do not get to practice much once the season starts.   The practice argument only has any weight during training camp and preseason.  

Yeah Chandler is a perfect example of being gifted minutes lol. We all can see that he was terrible. He clearly had to be the worst player in practice cause he was one of the worst in the NBA. Yet he started for a new coach. How did he earn these minutes? Practice? No it was the size of his contract, period.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I have no faith in the Grizzlies ability to develop young talent. Why? Because they dont have any developed young talent. I beieve both the coach and GM share responsibility in this failure.

Mike Conley and Marc Gasol were developed. JaMychal Green developed. 

I can’t disagree that the GM and coach share responsibility for this but I put the majority of blame on the front office for not finding talent to develop more than a coach under the gun to win immediately choosing veterans over rookies.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Mike Conley and Marc Gasol were developed. JaMychal Green developed. 

I can’t disagree that the GM and coach share responsibility for this but I put the majority of blame on the front office for not finding talent to develop more than a coach under the gun to win immediately choosing veterans over rookies.

Was Conley really developed or did the Grizz just let him play until he got the grasp of things? How come you can't do the same thing with other players?