PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

I have to give Wallace his props..this team really has few flaw besides injury concerns

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Green isn't on the team right now and we already have too many contracts, and it looks like they're going to sign Rabb who plays the same position.

Vince may not have the lateral quickness to be as effective as a one-on-one defender as he once was, but knows how to play defense and he knows how to position himself, something I am not as confident in the young guys being able to do.

Zbo may have been a liability in the pick 'n' roll but he was the best defensive rebounder on the team.  You do realize that getting the defensive board (or turnover) is the ultimate end of a defensive stand, don't you?  If Green doesn't come back we may be hurting (maybe so anyway) because Randolph, Green, and Tony Allen were our 1st, 3rd, and 4th best defensive rebounders.  Even if we have some luck defensively and make our opponents take two or three shots to score every other possession they still end up scoring on their possession if we don't secure the rebound and we will lose.  I really hope we have someone who can step up, because if we don't...

I think that both of you greatly exaggerate Tony Allen's shortcomings and minimize his contributions.  The coming season will tell, and I could be wrong, but the only way I see us winning much is if we can play defense, because we quite frankly don't have enough firepower to compete on the offensive end.  JMO

I think you are caught up in what TA has done for this team over the last few years...Im looking at just last season...imo the pelicans are going to be highly disappoint in TA next...he been falling off a cliff last few years...his legs cant take the abuse any more from chasing around and defending these elite scores...he become a slightly above average defensive wing that is terrible at shooting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tangogriz    0
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Green isn't on the team right now and we already have too many contracts, and it looks like they're going to sign Rabb who plays the same position.

I don't think Green will hold out a while. My guess is that he'll sign before camp starts. They will arrive at a number. We need each other. Whats he gonna do, take a giant pay cut to play in Europe?

I agree about wait and see. I'm hoping for the core of Mike and Marc with a lot of speedy interchangeable parts. One of them is already down for a while, McLemore, maybe that's gotten the hex out of the way early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The grizzlies have always been a playoff team, so all the doom and gloom has a lot to do with how pundits and amateur know-it-alls see the team in general.

Last year the grizzlies hit a wall, maybe it was the rookie wall, maybe it was a backlash to chancun, maybe it was a lot of things, but it was clear that, at least for the first part of the season, the grizzlies were a lot better team than most of y'all give them credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

I think you are caught up in what TA has done for this team over the last few years...Im looking at just last season...imo the pelicans are going to be highly disappoint in TA next...he been falling off a cliff last few years...his legs cant take the abuse any more from chasing around and defending these elite scores...he become a slightly above average defensive wing that is terrible at shooting

Really?!!!  Do you actually check facts, or do you just repeat what all those folks who dislike TA say?  Let's look at last season.  He played 71 games, the 5th highest total of his career.  He scored more ppg than his career average.  His rebounds per game was about 2 rpg higher than his career average.  His steals were higher than career average, his blocks the same.  Okay, so his shooting percentages dropped a bit, but he led the league in steals percentage and was selected for the NBA All Defensive Team.  So just how is that "falling off a cliff"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Subliminal    0
3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really?!!!  Do you actually check facts, or do you just repeat what all those folks who dislike TA say?  Let's look at last season.  He played 71 games, the 5th highest total of his career.  He scored more ppg than his career average.  His rebounds per game was about 2 rpg higher than his career average.  His steals were higher than career average, his blocks the same.  Okay, so his shooting percentages dropped a bit, but he led the league in steals percentage and was selected for the NBA All Defensive Team.  So just how is that "falling off a cliff"?

Yea man, you're getting all Memfizz game thread form on TA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Yea man, you're getting all Memfizz game thread form on TA

Anybody that hated ta talks about his "gambling" 

my personal opinion is most people on this board don't know enough about nba defense to understand what ta is doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Subliminal said:

Yea man, you're getting all Memfizz game thread form on TA

I'm not lamenting the fact that we moved on from TA, Zbo, VC, and maybe Green.  I am just questioning the sanity of those who somehow think that after letting vets of their caliber go, to replace them with unproven, questionable second-round picks, undrafted players and vets rehabbing injury we will be just as good or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not lamenting the fact that we moved on from TA, Zbo, VC, and maybe Green.  I am just questioning the sanity of those who somehow think that after letting vets of their caliber go, to replace them with unproven, questionable second-round picks, undrafted players and vets rehabbing injury we will be just as good or better.

for me, it's just hard to bet against marc and mike. they are going to find a way to exceed expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

for me, it's just hard to bet against marc and mike. they are going to find a way to exceed expectations. 

I hope so, but I think they need more help, and unless Reke comes back huge, and or Parsons returns to form (both of which I am skeptical of), and some of the young players step up, I don't see any help on the horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Subliminal    0
22 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not lamenting the fact that we moved on from TA, Zbo, VC, and maybe Green.  I am just questioning the sanity of those who somehow think that after letting vets of their caliber go, to replace them with unproven, questionable second-round picks, undrafted players and vets rehabbing injury we will be just as good or better.

Yea I'm agreeing w you on TA. He was one of my favorite all time Grizzlies. I'm not overly pessimistic about the new team either though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Yea I'm agreeing w you on TA. He was one of my favorite all time Grizzlies. I'm not overly pessimistic about the new team either though. 

 

I'm not overly pessimistic either, but some folks other than Mike and Marc are going to have to step up if we are to have any playoff hopes.  Of course much depends on other teams' injury and chemistry as well as our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies have always been a playoff team, so all the doom and gloom has a lot to do with how pundits and amateur know-it-alls see the team in general.

Last year the grizzlies hit a wall, maybe it was the rookie wall, maybe it was a backlash to chancun, maybe it was a lot of things, but it was clear that, at least for the first part of the season, the grizzlies were a lot better team than most of y'all give them credit for.

The Grizzlies have definitely NOT always been a playoff team. All the doom and gloom comes from an intelligent view of the roster and the reality that a lot of last season’s weaknesses were exposed by teams as the season progressed.

You can surprise teams early in the season but eventually teams catch on and start to exploit those weaknesses. There wasn’t a wall as much as teams forcing the Grizzlies to beat them at what they weren’t good at and taking away what they did well. 

The sign of a good team is the ability to either force what they do well despite teams trying to stop it or doing what they don’t do well at a good enough level while taking away the other team’s strengths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have definitely NOT always been a playoff team. All the doom and gloom comes from an intelligent view of the roster and the reality that a lot of last season’s weaknesses were exposed by teams as the season progressed.

You can surprise teams early in the season but eventually teams catch on and start to exploit those weaknesses. There wasn’t a wall as much as teams forcing the Grizzlies to beat them at what they weren’t good at and taking away what they did well. 

The sign of a good team is the ability to either force what they do well despite teams trying to stop it or doing what they don’t do well at a good enough level while taking away the other team’s strengths. 

The grizzlies have been a playoff team 10 out of the last 14 years. And in the Marc Gasol and Mike Conley era the grizzlies have missed the playoffs only twice. But hey you are right, the have NOT ALWAYS been a playoff team. Good catch there, Captain Obvious.

The grizzlies lost to the Pelicans TWICE, the Brooklyn Nets, the Lakers, Dallas and the kings, these losses began a game before the allstar break with the pelicans. So, yeah, I see your point about how great these teams were to make adjustments.

 

And please explain the weakness these other teams exploited, with example games, please. If you can't do it, I'll just consider it some more random bull**** I don't have to take seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really?!!!  Do you actually check facts, or do you just repeat what all those folks who dislike TA say?  Let's look at last season.  He played 71 games, the 5th highest total of his career.  He scored more ppg than his career average.  His rebounds per game was about 2 rpg higher than his career average.  His steals were higher than career average, his blocks the same.  Okay, so his shooting percentages dropped a bit, but he led the league in steals percentage and was selected for the NBA All Defensive Team.  So just how is that "falling off a cliff"?

so we just gonna sit here and act like TA hasn't been having leg problems over that last few years...I'm kool with that...and to say a guy who is terrible at shooting...percentage actually got worst is quiet amazing...his FT percentage was so bad the he became the SG version of deandre jordan...and his uptick in production I blame of Fizz...all our core four guys had upticks in production #thesystem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies have been a playoff team 10 out of the last 14 years. And in the Marc Gasol and Mike Conley era the grizzlies have missed the playoffs only twice. But hey you are right, the have NOT ALWAYS been a playoff team. Good catch there, Captain Obvious.

The grizzlies lost to the Pelicans TWICE, the Brooklyn Nets, the Lakers, Dallas and the kings, these losses began a game before the allstar break with the pelicans. So, yeah, I see your point about how great these teams were to make adjustments.

 

And please explain the weakness these other teams exploited, with example games, please. If you can't do it, I'll just consider it some more random bull**** I don't have to take seriously. 

The Grizzlies have made 7 straight playoffs but prior to that streak they never won a playoff game. It doesn’t take Captain Obvious to correct your inaccurate statement.

i never said a team has to be great to make adjustments. I said that every team figured out how to beat the Grizzlies. For example most teams stopped putting their tallest player guarding Gasol on the perimeter, preferring to put the tallest player on Randolph making him less effective and expecting Gasol to turn down threes when guarded. Teams knew to force the Grizzlies to play faster which hurt them with their lack of speed. Teams denied the paint and left the Grizzlies open to shoot longer shots because they couldn’t hit those shots often enough. Not great adjustments. Just obvious ones. 

The one thing we can agree on is you will ignore the truth and call is BS rather than accept your premise last season was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have definitely NOT always been a playoff team. All the doom and gloom comes from an intelligent view of the roster and the reality that a lot of last season’s weaknesses were exposed by teams as the season progressed.

You can surprise teams early in the season but eventually teams catch on and start to exploit those weaknesses. There wasn’t a wall as much as teams forcing the Grizzlies to beat them at what they weren’t good at and taking away what they did well. 

The sign of a good team is the ability to either force what they do well despite teams trying to stop it or doing what they don’t do well at a good enough level while taking away the other team’s strengths. 

true and three of those weaknesses are gone...two are in sactown...one with the pels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Anybody that hated ta talks about his "gambling" 

my personal opinion is most people on this board don't know enough about nba defense to understand what ta is doing.

 

call it what you wanna..just a fact that he went for steals way to often...and we all know that steals per game doesn't mean great defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0

From ESPN Insider article on Power Rankings:
 

mem.png&w=110&h=110&transparent=true 22. Memphis Grizzlies
  RANK SCORE
Players 20 42.5
Management 19 42.5
Money 20 37.5
Market 25 30
Draft 15 45
    Overall: 41.3

After surpassing a pessimistic projection using ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM) to reach the playoffs for a seventh consecutive season, the Grizzlies move up six spots. Alas, it's possible we could ultimately view this as a dead-cat bounce.

Again, RPM forecasts Memphis most likely out of the playoffs. And this time, the Grizzlies will be relying on a different core to beat expectations. While stalwarts Mike Conley and Marc Gasol remain, the departure of veterans Tony Allen and Zach Randolph via free agency signals an end to the "Grit and Grind" era.

With big contracts for Conley, Gasol and injury-plagued Chandler Parsonstaking Memphis out of free agency for the foreseeable future, the Grizzlies must hit on their draft picks to add young talent to an aging roster. And the top-eight protection on the 2019 first-round pick Memphis traded to Boston could make rebuilding an attractive option in 2018-19.

-- Kevin Pelton

(Previous rank: 28)arrow_up.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now