Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

We could be looking at new ownership in October

From interviewer to short-seller Left:

information that you have that's new is extremely limited if not non-existant

Its very suspicious timing.

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/the-grizzlies-looming-ownership-drama/Content?oid=9417642

I wasn't aware of Levien's association with Kaplan and Woj, by the way. It puts some of the news we heard about Pera in a different light.

On related news, Ubiquiti's shares are now at an all time high. I'm starting to suspect Kaplan won't make a move this season.

12 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/the-grizzlies-looming-ownership-drama/Content?oid=9417642

I wasn't aware of Levien's association with Kaplan and Woj, by the way. It puts some of the news we heard about Pera in a different light.

On related news, Ubiquiti's shares are now at an all time high. I'm starting to suspect Kaplan won't make a move this season.

This is all we need, while we are finally moving in the right direction, to get another dose of Levien.

I guarantee you if kaplan buys controling interest that marc will be traded. Think the brooklyn nets, only worse.

article in regards to this

https://theathletic.com/170989/2017/11/30/memphis-grizzlies-minority-owners-exercise-buy-sell-option-uncertainty-reeling-franchise-david-fizdale/

interesting notes:

“I always tell him I would like to see him at more games,” Gasol told reporters on media day.

Gasol has always said he has a close relationship with Pera and speaks to him regularly. 

Serving as Pera’s main consigliere in Memphis has been Joe Abadi, who carries the title of executive director but has no basketball background. He is higher on the food chain than GM Chris Wallace, who helped assemble the “Core Four” of Gasol, Allen, Conley and Randolph but has struggled since to buttress that group with the talent necessary to truly contend in the powerful Western Conference.

The Grizzlies said goodbye to the aging Randolph and Allen in the offseason, and injuries and underwhelming performances in recent drafts have hampered their ability to retool. They splurged on big contracts for Gasol and Conley, but signing Chandler Parsons, a versatile swingman with a history of knee problems, to a four-year, $94 million contract in 2016 has proven to be a huge mistake. The deal was completed without requiring a physical and contained no injury protections, according to sources, which has severely impacted the team’s salary cap situation.

Another stupid front office decision signing Parsons without a physical. It’s old news but it still chafes me every time I see it. This article implies it wasn’t Wallace’s Call but it doesn’t matter. The Front Office is to blame and he’s still the face of the Front Office. If he didn’t agree he could have said no or gone public. His silence and refusal to speak out is tantamount to compliance. 

The highlighted part with Gasol is immaterial to me. Most owners keep a close relationship with their players. Gasol - having signed a cap friendly deal when he could have signed for one or two seasons and then participated in a Conley type of contract - being friendly with the owner is no surprise. Highlighting is simply trying to dredge up another conspiracy theory against Marc. 

I’m sure Conley has a close relationship with Pera. Tony Allen was close enough to him to arrange a pickup one on one game for charity. It sure didn’t get Allen a new contract this summer. I’d be surprised if Chandler wasn’t friendly with Pera as well. 

No surprise hearing again that people believe Joe Abadi having more power than Wallace. That’s been swirling around for years. Wallace has gone public saying it isn’t true so he has to take the responsibility for the Front Office’s actions once again. 

They're saying now that he did have a physical. I'm sorry, but I can't give them the benefit of the doubt. This FO has lied and botched so many injuries, I can't trust them.

That article is bull**** "sources say Parsons deal was complete without physical" n then an hour later he takes it down cuz it's not true. Lol fine journalism right there.

47 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Another stupid front office decision signing Parsons without a physical. It’s old news but it still chafes me every time I see it.

Chip,

I'm really surprised you would take for 100% some info a writer was fed from an 'unnamed source'. The writer has just publicly apologized for incorrect info in the story after finding out Parsons DID have a physical with the Grizzlies. These story mysterious leaks aren't coming from the Grizzlies. Wonder where else they could be coming from? Probably the same source that leaked Pera wanted Coach Joerger to wear a headset during the games right after Jason Levien was fired. Look for some more bizarre info coming from the twitter world in the next few months to smear Pera. Don't believe everything you read.

12 minutes ago, UofMark said:

Chip,

I'm really surprised you would take for 100% some info a writer was fed from an 'unnamed source'. The writer has just publicly apologized for incorrect info in the story after finding out Parsons DID have a physical with the Grizzlies. These story mysterious leaks aren't coming from the Grizzlies. Wonder where else they could be coming from? Probably the same source that leaked Pera wanted Coach Joerger to wear a headset during the games right after Jason Levien was fired. Look for some more bizarre info coming from the twitter world in the next few months to smear Pera. Don't believe everything you read.

Thanks for correcting me. 

Still hate the signing but at least it wasn’t as bad as no physical! 

25 minutes ago, UofMark said:

Chip,

lolololololololol  I forgot about that rumor

hilarious

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

article in regards to this

https://theathletic.com/170989/2017/11/30/memphis-grizzlies-minority-owners-exercise-buy-sell-option-uncertainty-reeling-franchise-david-fizdale/

interesting notes:

“I always tell him I would like to see him at more games,” Gasol told reporters on media day.

Gasol has always said he has a close relationship with Pera and speaks to him regularly. 

Serving as Pera’s main consigliere in Memphis has been Joe Abadi, who carries the title of executive director but has no basketball background. He is higher on the food chain than GM Chris Wallace, who helped assemble the “Core Four” of Gasol, Allen, Conley and Randolph but has struggled since to buttress that group with the talent necessary to truly contend in the powerful Western Conference.

The Grizzlies said goodbye to the aging Randolph and Allen in the offseason, and injuries and underwhelming performances in recent drafts have hampered their ability to retool. They splurged on big contracts for Gasol and Conley, but signing Chandler Parsons, a versatile swingman with a history of knee problems, to a four-year, $94 million contract in 2016 has proven to be a huge mistake. The deal was completed without requiring a physical and contained no injury protections, according to sources, which has severely impacted the team’s salary cap situation.

I keep reading the article to see what the price point was, and who exercised it.

Am I missing it?

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

lolololololololol  I forgot about that rumor

hilarious

Just think if that actually happened and Joerger started coaching with a headset. Who was going to be on the other end of the headset? Pera? Imagine the ridicule...

On 11/30/2017 at 4:21 PM, JWill4L said:

We couldn't be worse, I guess. Maybe a new owner means a new General Manager...

Only when the franchise moves to a viable NBA market ( like Seattle ) will  this team be worth following.

13 hours ago, scooter said:

Only when the franchise moves to a viable NBA market ( like Seattle ) will  this team be worth following.

You think people would follow more for the scenery around Seattle or the move from Memphis would just make them play better?

8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You think people would follow more for the scenery around Seattle or the move from Memphis would just make them play better?

Metro Seattle is at least 4 times the size of Memphis and the area income is much better suited to build a stronger franchise. A stronger franchise means winning and thus more fans nationally will follow the team.

Edited by scooter
clarification

The NBA doesn't want any relocations to Seattle, which is why the kept the Kings from moving there a few years back. The league wants to place an expansion team there in the next 10 years. With a projected expansion fee of 1.5 billion (it may be more), that would net each of the current 30 NBA franchises $50 million in new capital. That's the reason the NHL just went to Las Vegas, and 31 teams, and is also eying Seattle.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:49 PM, chipc3 said:

Thanks for correcting me. 

Still hate the signing but at least it wasn’t as bad as no physical! 

I thought the trainer was supposed to have lost his job over that.

13 hours ago, scooter said:

Metro Seattle is at least 4 times the size of Memphis and the area income is much better suited to build a stronger franchise. A stronger franchise means winning and thus more fans nationally will follow the team.

Is there any stronger franchises than the Lakers and the Knicks? Have they been winners lately? Where was their support when they had the other team? You know, the Sonics??????????

On 11/9/2017 at 5:05 AM, fanboyslim said:

This would be the perfect time if the want to sell, price it a little higher than it is valued at. I thought they only had a 60 day window in which they could buy/sell the team.  I don't think it said whether it was a 1 time change or it could occur more times.